[COMPLETED] [PP-F1] <<Making A Living>> An Artist in the Kitchen (Opal)

Snow grew familiar with the Town of Beginnings. She knew those who frequented the market, the patrons that supported the Beginner's Refuge, and the various NPCs. In fact, it was the latter that often helped Snow cope with the day to day. Daire and her used to talk about how realistic the non-players were in this world. Their context sensitive discussions were impressive and were someone oblivious to the concept of NPCs, they would seem as normal people. There existed one NPC in particular that Snow frequented:

Madam Seraphellia.

Over the years, Snow had grown to call her "Angel" for short, and after each visit, the NPC came to know Snow personally. While Snow never truly could get information about Angel's origins, she loved to sit in the Inn's kitchen and listen to Angel's stories gathered from the many players who came and went. Angel had a sweet motherly quality about her. She cared for people. Odd to hear, but she truly cared about the players. Snow saw her as a person, even though she knew all well the woman was nothing more than bits and bytes in a digital dream.

"Angel~" Snow chimed as she swung open the door to the First Light Inn.

"Snow, my dear!" Angel replied. "How have you been?!"

The young blonde paused, struggling with the proper response in the sparsly populated building. Eyes were on her, curious as to how one was able to illicit such a response from a system-ran avatar. The novice adventurer took a breath.

"I'm well," Snow lied. "And you?"

The teen approached the breakfast bar in front of her NPC friend and took a seat. Madam Seraphellia smiled while continuing to tend to the dishes she dried.

"Oh you know, dear, busy feeding the rough and tough usuals. Always working and never sleeping a wink!" Angel replied with nothing but a positive tone.

Her jovial attitude always put a smile on Snows face. Today was no exception. 

Edited by Snow

Opal had been relaxing and having her breakfast alone peacefully when there was a stir of action towards the breakfast bar. Of course Opal opted out to mind her own business and looked over the notes of the proceeding Boss raid coming up. She wasn't wearing her Knights of the Blood Oath armor, and her hair was a stark white contrast to her raven locks. This was becoming her typical 'Day off' attire and also helped alleviate the attention she received as being the Vice Commander of the Knights of the Blood Oath, but she was also wearing very revealing clothing, a skimpy tank top and a pair of really tight pants that hugged her hips nicely. The streak of red in her hair accented the platinum blonde's hair and gave her that rebel child kinda look. 

Her ruby red lips hooked to a smile as she finished off her meal and pushed her plate aside as she continued to read and examine the notes of the next boss. She sighed and placed an arm down on the table and let her head fall aimlessly upon her palm. It was then that her white diamond eyes took the form of the woman at the front speaking with the NPC. Many people paid little attention to the NPCs of Sword Art, it was rarely seen them doing any casual conversation. But Kayaba had given this game a lot of life, even the NPCs were filled with something of a soul.

A manicured pink nail found its way to her lips as she wondered if it would be a good idea to approach Snow, she might be busy with other things, and Opal did not enjoy butting in other people's business. But the woman was more than friendly and Opal did lack female friends aside from Jevi and Zandra, whom she hung out with rarely. Clearing her menu with a sweep of her hand, the Vice Commander stood up and walked towards Snow and the NPC named  Madam Seraphellia.

"Good morning to you both!" Opal said, her hands at her sides. She wasn't sure how to approach Snow. A handshake? A hug? "Lovely day, isn't it? A small world to see you here. Then again, I don't travel to the lower floors too often, just when I want to get away I guess." Opal smiled, so far it was a good start for the conversation, "Any plans for the day, Snow?" 

Opal had not realized she looked much different than their previous meeting, this would be Snow's first chance at seeing Opal on a day off. 

HTfrwJT.png

"What'll you be having dear?" Angel asked.

"Oh, nothing today Angel. Thank you though, I actually wanted to talk to you about something else," Snow elaborated. Angel raised a brow with a coy smile.

"And what's that, dear?"

"I've decided to join the fight."

Angel stopped polishing her glasses clean and set aside her rag. The NPC's hands cupped the edge of the counter and the motherly figure leaned in toward Snow. 

"You're not going to forget about me now, are you?" The tone was shockingly threatening, yet playful - a complex response from an AI based character. It took Snow by surprise.

"I would never!" the blonde exclaimed, cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Just then, a familiar voice broke the air. Snow turned to find the source only to further her confusion. It took a moment and a squint of the eyes, but her memory piqued.

"Opal?" Snow questioned. "Is that you?"

The black hair, now white and accented in red framed the front-liner's face completely different. Compared to the combat attire, Opal's figure stood out more and with a significantly more casual tone. In contrast, Snow also donned her favorite vanity attire: a loose, beat to hell white sweatshirt with the lower hem tied into a knot, a pair of canvas shorts which exposed a bit of midriff and leg, and shin high leather boots lashed to her ankles as opposed to laced. As she tried to assess the woman who introduced herself, Snow nudged her red framed glasses closer to her face. While the game augmented the player's vision to remove the need for glasses, Snow liked them for their familiarity to the real world.

"That is you!" the blonde phalanx declared. "You look completely different! How do you change your hair like that here? It looks good on you!"

Snow smiled to her recent acquaintance.

"Ahh! Yes, you remembered my name." Opal placed both of her hands behind her as she allowed them to lock in place. Her bright crystal white eyes a stunning show accented by the dark eye make up she normally wore as she looked over the female before her. She too wore a more a casual outfit, had it not been for the hair she probably would not have noticed the woman from the distance they were at. Clearing her throat, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation. I was just having some breakfast and saw you over here. Was wondering what was up. I hope you haven't had too much problem with getting out there and doing the grind."

Opal listened intently to the young female and shook her head with a small trickling laugh, "Oh!? Yes. I'm an alchemist actually so dyes of this nature are not too far beyond what I can do. Anything from makeup, to dyed hair colors to the colors of your armor or clothes, pretty much can be alchemized. Even cute painted nails, I was a girly girl before the game started up and I'm slowly easing my way back into being comfortable in my own skin again.." Opal smiled and looked away a bit, fiddling with a lock of hair that had dropped into her eyes. A sweeping motion from her right hand allowed to her press the rogue hair from the crystalline eyes back behind her ear.

"You talk with the NPCs here. That's different, many people don't bother to pay them much attention. I think Kayaba gave as much soul to them as everything else in this game. A lot of people are disgruntled for trapped here. I have mixed emotions of this world, but I am living each day and that's important to me and everyone else. Once we succumb to the nightmare it will only eat at you until it takes everything from you. Staying positive and allowing us to move forward will keep our humanity in check." 

Opal looked about the young woman and smiled, "Looks like you are ready for a day out on the town though! Look at you! Got a little rebel librarian look going on for you. The frames are a cute look. I know of one other player that wore frames in this game, Piera. She was a good friend, another alchemist like myself, much better in her alchemy as well. And her wicked Moonshine...Hahahaha." A small laugh escaped her, then once more cleared her throat with.

"I am not sure what you have planned today, but I don't have much going on. Think I can join you on your routine? I am in a guild with a lot of male players about so finding time to be with another girl would be a nice breather. Unless you want to go about this solo, I would totally understand..." Downcast vision ensued as Opal looked off, slightly embarrassed. Even as Vice Commander of the Knights of the Blood Oath, she wasn't quite the social butterfly of her past making it difficult for conversations with others she recently met. It was when she donned her armor that she felt more active and confident with herself. 

"I couldn't agree more," Snow returned in regards to Opal's comment about remaining positive. "There are so many things here that can be sad, but we equally have some we can be happy about."

The young blonde smiled to the fair femme fatale with a tilt of her head. Snow only half believed those words, but neglected to show it. Her friend in the real world was claimed by this place. Each day they remain inside meant one day they lost outside. While people could still eat and sleep here, outside was a different story. Someone had to care for her as she was trapped in here. Unseen and unknown to her, what battle was being fought out there? When would they pull the plug? When would they simply admit defeat and accept the ever climbing death toll to its complete ten thousand?

"I don't like to think of them as AI though," Snow continued, her tone still bright as ever. "They're still people, just like us. Angel remembers my name, she remembers what we last talked about. She's a lovely person and a beautiful soul.

Some found that line of thinking insane. Snow stopped caring about other's opinions of her own values long ago. She was herself, this was her world as she chose to accept it.

"Thank you, dear," Angel chimed in, with a nod to Opal.

"You're welcome," the blonde replied.

"Why don't you take this nice lady with you on your day today, Snow?" Angel asked in an encouraging tone. Snow couldn't stop herself from smiling back.

"I will, Angel. I was getting there! Don't rush a girl," the teen added with a playful show of her tongue and scrunched nose. Snow turned back to Opal.

"It would be a pleasure, Miss Opal. I do have to warn you though, I'm hoping to take up a quest today. Since I'm now going to be out there fighting along side you, I need to think about how I'm going to afford all that gear. I checked with the brokers about professions, and have decided I'd like to become a cook."

The final word out Snow's mouth lit a fire in Angel's eyes. The NPC immediately gripped at Snow's hand and thusly, the girl's attention as well.

"Dear," Angel began, her tone far more serious, "you must let me teach you! I have the best recipe for pot pie."

From shocked and silent to smiling and giggling, Snow nodded her head.

"Of course Angel," the teen commented. Then, she turned to Opal. "She really does make the best pot pies."

At that moment, a prompt appeared to Snow. She read it over to find it the beginning of the profession quest. The girl memorized the ingredient list and hit accept. As the window closed, Opal's frame became visible again.

"Care to join me?"

The interaction between the two was adorable. Snow seemed like a really down to earth woman who was keeping up with reality in this world. Everyone had a soul...even the NPCs, not just some background automated response machines as you see in most typical mmos. Opal snapped back attention, so the quest she was to embark on was to be a cook. 

"That's not a problem for me. I am always down for a little adventure. I think I have done this quest several times with others so it should be a breeze between the two of us. Materials are always important for every person, more worth than the game's currency as well. Col won't be much needed until you wanna establish a place of your own, like a House. But they get really expensive..." the woman's fingers breached her hair, the platinum blonde locks sweeping over her dark eyes while she framed the strands behind her ear. 

Allowing her hand to fall back to her side, Opal simply nodded as she was ready to take on the day along side her new friend, Snow. They had only just met a time ago in a field, luckily enough she did not fall prey to the heated passion of her desire. Fighting for a friend is a worthy cause, but doing so at such a low level without help, that could be disastrous for someone. The Vice Commander was just happy to have got there in time to see her through that small ordeal, unfortunately, the woman would experience many more in this world as time rolls on. She only hoped, unlike herself, she would not fall or succumb to the vices to which she had fallen to in this game. White crystals eyes began to shimmer through the sunlight pouring into the cafe. It was a beautiful day to say in the least and Opal had got off on a good start of the day for her day off. 

Stretching her hands over her head, Opal reached for the sky. Her tank top rising with the cast of her arms to the ceiling as she let out a small audible moan from her ruby red lips, "I am most definitely ready to get this day started with a new friend. If you need me to kill anything, just let me know. I am quite well endowed, if you know what I mean..." the woman gave Snow a playful nudge with her elbow. Hopefully that light tease wouldn't come off as creepy to her. 

Snow giggled at Opal's sense of humor. The Russian teen came from a familiar where humor was generally lost. It was her roommate Daire, from America who enlightened her. With such privileged parents and unmatched confidence, Daire had a flare for the dramatic and often tried to break the quieter and more reserved Snow from her shell with remarks like that. Snow, now more comfortable with talk like this, made her report.

"Oh, I know you are, but I can't let you have all the fun," Snow joked with a wink.

"I like her," Angel remarked with a chuckle.

Snow nodded. "Me too."

The young teen rose from her stool and partially bowed to Angel.

"Well, Angel, I'm off! I got your list of ingredients and we'll be back before you know it! Hang tight." 

The matriarchal figure dismissed the two with a flick of her wrist and warm smile. Then, she went right back to her usual routine of cleaning dishes and providing food to the patrons. Snow opened her menu and flicked throught a few windows before generating a party request for Opal. She flipped through a few more and in a matter of seconds, Snows frame flashed bright and fragmented. As the data cleared, her casual attire and glasses vanished to show her black hoodie and cargo shorts given to her by Hikoru.

"The list has a few veggies and seeds on it. There is a garden just outside the safezone I used to tend when I lived in the Begginer's Refuge. Since we didn't have col, we just help gather the materials for the cooks that fed us there. We had guards back then because there are still a few spawns there. We'll be fine though..."

Snow paused.

"Thanks to you and your... assets." She stuck her tongue out playfully.

"Shall we? It's toward the northern gate, You take the lead."

Edited by Snow

Opal smiled and nodded, following Snow and hearing her plans and destination. Opal stood for a moment and basked in the transforming light as her attire once a sultry casual female into the red and white garbed Blood Oath armor. After the initial light dispersed, the woman gave a gentle shake of her head, returning the ebony locks once more from the platinum blonde. 

"I suppose since we will be out of the safe zone, it would be better to be prepared for anything." Stretching her hand out, the woman called forth her Masamune X. The long odachi fell from the air into her hand as she shouldered the weapon in its long saya. The woman gave a nod of approval when she saw the change in Snow's attire, seems like the young fem fatale was ready to get this quest started. 

Asking to take lead, Opal nodded. She had forgotten what it was like to be on the beginner's floor like this. The buzzing of whispers could be heard from neighboring thoughts as the two women walked, eyes on Opal and the insignia she bore as they walked through crowded streets, "And this is why I don't come down here much. There is a lot of talk about the guild I am in currently. I took a name that has been long lost from the lips of the people and turned this guild into a proper army, but I have friends to thank for that who have my back. There are many of us in the guild now, and I hope what is being whispered right now are only positive things of the Knights of the Blood Oath, although I am sure there are a few jealous players out there. Hard work and perseverance will get you where you need to go." Opal had stated, noticing that the crowded path was now becoming split into two as they walked towards the city's gate. 

"I suppose I also act as a kind of role model for some women too. You don't see many women taking up arms to lead an army, many of taken to the Support Roles in the game. Which is pretty common from what I have been told. When I first started playing I didn't know much about games or the like, I had to learn everything the hard way. And I can tell you right now, it was not an easy road to get to where I am now. I have lost much of myself in the time that has passed..." Opal stood at the boundary of the safe zone and looked out to the fields and the little boars that gave players so much trouble. 

"Ready?" Opal asked taking a step forward. They were headed north to a garden to pick up some vegetables for Snow's quest. The task was simple enough, while she would pick out her items, she could be on standby to watch for any roaming mobs. Though there was no obvious threat in the beginner's field, except for the Champion Class mobs that seemed to spawn once in awhile. 

Spoiler

Rules of Engagement:
A 9-10 on the MOB roll spawns a mob with 6HP - 3DMG - 1MIT.
Must Harvest 3 Materials before returning to Angel.
Roll: 

ID# 49535: [] BD: 2 [] CD: 9 [] LD:15 [] MD:1 []

+1 Material

"Oh?" Snow commented as she crossed the threshold into the fields. "I guess I can relate. When I first started this game, I took it harder than my friend. She was like you, ambitious, strong, brave. She wanted to get out and fight with the others. I, I couldn't. I suppose you could say I played a support role? Really I just was taken care of, like all the other refugees and the really young players."

As Snow spoke, she wandered to the left of the gate exit, trying to remain within earshot. The garden backed up against the wall as if to give non-combatants the shortest possible distance between life and death in the event of a spawn. Already, a few players were tending to the crop. In SAO, there were no truly common ingredients like tomatoes, cabbage, or onions. All the ingredients here looked strange and often misleading. For example, a Kogoro Fruit was the equivalent of the Tomato. However, the fruit was mostly blue with little red bumps all over it.

Rows and rows of soil spanned several feet along the wall. Players planted seeds from the previous crop into the dirt and applied water from the wells in town. Over the period of 24 hours, the fully matured plant would spawn in, baring any random number of usable ingredients.

Snow walked over to the first few plants not currently being tended to. Right off the get go, she spotted a Korantant, a root plant with long, tubular leaves.

"It took some adjusting," Snow continued. She knelt over and tugged at the base of the plant to unearth a fist sized object with the similar shape of an artichoke, but purple in color. "But I never could really muster going out into the fields like her. She left, I stayed."

Snow brushed off the loose soil and pulled up the info menu.

"She was one of the front liners, clearing floors with the rest of them and fighting the bosses. She would send me PMs all the time."

To her enjoyment, the window confirmed it as a usable ingredient, not spoiled, under ripe, or over ripe. She hit accept on the window and the vegetable vanished into her inventory.

"I don't know how she did it, but she always stayed the same. She was always upbeat, playful, and encouraging. I admired her..."

Snow smiled, but her back faced Opal. A tear ran down the young phalanx's cheek to which she quickly swiped away with a sleeve and took a deep breath.

"She was like a sister I never had. Because of her, I'm out here. As much as I didn't want to see it, this place changes people. It's not the same as out there, and waiting around like it's some bad nightmare won't change a thing."

Snow turned to Opal with a cheerful expression, eyelids a soft hue of red and glistening from the remnants of sorrow.

"But it's people like you that help give others hope."

Edited by Snow

"People...like me?" Opal smiled folding her arms as the woman tended to the garden, harvesting what she could from the vegetables. Opal admired Snow's desire to pick up arms after knowing what happened to her friend. Opal was much like the woman in that respect, "I lost a friend as well. His name was Lindow. He was married, had a daughter... and he was as old as my father. But he had an undying sense of justice, and he believed one day that he would be back in the arms of his loving wife and daughter once again. He didn't die on the Front Lines though or in a boss. He was murdered." Opal sighed and fumbled with a locket of ebony from over her eye as she slowly crept it behind her ear. 

"He was investigating a Player Killer Guild on floor four a long time ago. Apparently this particular guild used green players to sneak children out of the village to where the Orange Players would kill them for sport. Lindow was a protector, it was in his blood, and he knew being a father, something had to be done. So he took it upon himself to keep Snowfrost safe. One day he found a cave, stumbled upon a Player Killer who probably belonged to the Guild. That night..." 

Opal slid a hand towards her face and eyes to brush the feeling aside and cleared her throat, "That night was the last I heard from him. I received a message from him before he...died. I rushed to the scene as soon as I could and only managed to find his cloak. He was the push that made me move, more or less. I decided to pick up where he left off and joined the guild he was in shortly after to follow in his footsteps." 

The Vice Commander told part of the story so far, she was getting emotional about the retelling. It was difficult to close the wounds that seemed to still be so fresh, it must have been even more difficult for Snow as she told her story. She cleared her throat once more and shifted from her position, "Your friend. I shall honor her the next time I visit the Monument of Life. It is the least I can do for someone who has been helping the Front Lines and to help free us all in this world." Opal got down on bended knee, "So...I am not very good at picking out vegetables...I can go out and get some mob materials though when we swing back around to return to the city. I feel like I should be doing more to help you on your quest." She smiled once more, red lips curling trying to undo the pit in her stomach from the stories they shared. 

Spoiler

ID# 49675: [] BD: 9 [] CD: 5 [] LD: 2 [] MD: 8 []
No Mats
No Mobs

Snow was in the middle of planting a new seed for the next cycle of harvesting when Opal told her story. The young blonde looked down at the seed in the soil as she took in the similarity of loss and how a even a woman as strong as her still wavered in her voice. Snow rarely considered the idea of murderers, but she heard a few stories similar to Opal's. In fact, the world was now far more dangerous for women out there. Especially, if they traveled alone.

Snow buried the seed and tamped the soil down, a notification popping up to indicate time remaining for harvest. The blue-eyed teen dismissed the pop up and turned to Opal.

"Did you ever find them? The murderers?" Snow asked with concern on her lips and in her eyes. "I can't believe they preyed on children... of all people..."

Daire never mentioned these kinds of things to Snow. In fact, the front lines likely never saw such brutality. While they were busy fighting for everyone's freedom, those who lagged behind or lost motivation could be exposed to things like this. Player Killers, or as the information brokers told, didn't earn much EXP from killing. Many of them did so for the gold or items of the targeted player. To kill children, who had nothing, would simply be the lowest of low. Without gold, EXP, or items, they were killing for plain, sadistic entertainment.

Snow felt weak in the stomach at the thought. Compared to Opal, she was but a shadow to the flame. Even if she wanted to help, she couldn't. It pained her to know this in light of all Opal had done for her. Snow shook her head, blonde locks dancing about as they dangled over her shoulders.

She turned back to Opal and smiled.

"I'm okay with doing a little hunting. The recipe calls for a cockatrice breast. So we'll need to get one eventually.

Edited by Snow

The woman lifted her body up, the skirt that adorned her body, billowed with the passing breeze as she stood erect and arms swinging around to her back as she locked them in place. Amber eyes looked upwards at the sun allowing the warmth of the digital sun to cast the golden rays down upon her rosy cheeks, her thoughts were elsewhere but they remained on the question at hand, "No, unfortunately. Much has happened since that day that Lindow passed and my training, and then coming to be Vice Commander for the Knights. So I have not had much...personal leeway when it comes to unraveling this mystery. Also, I have been a little scared of myself of what I might end up doing if I did find them..." The woman walked through the garden making sure not to step on anything that Snow might find of use for her list of ingredients. 

"I walk a very thin line when it comes to morale codes. My late Master Myoga had taught me the code of Bushido, but to also walk the line of a Kunoichi. A Ninja life is not an easy one to embark and sometimes necessary evils are demanded of you, and choices that must be made are for the greater good of everyone. Should I attempt successfully at locating this PK Guild, would I have the right to execute those men and women who have done wrong to the people of Aincrad? I have the power to do so..." the woman trailed off, a small fist formed from her left hand. 

"I can kill someone, easily enough...I have the means to do so, the power required and the resolve. But is it right? There are other things that have happened to me in this game, that no woman should ever go through. In real life it's scary...and in this game, it can be just as awful if not worse. You don't get to feel the pain, but you are left with the corrupt darkness that lingers and the memories of the horrible events. At least with pain..." Once more Opal trailed off, the subject was rather dark for a beautiful day. She laughed lightly, moving strands of ebony hair from her face looking back towards Snow, "It's kinda bleak to talk about such things on a nice day. I don't wanna spoil a good day on reminiscing over tragedies. I will always remember Lindow and what he had done for me, and that gives me the reason to fight each and every day."

Opal was happy to know that she could help the woman with a little cockatrice hunting. She had yet to see any of those types of mobs, such a fantastical creature around the first floor would be a rare sight indeed. Perhaps she would get lucky enough and nab four at a time. 

"By the way, I am sure you get this a lot, but you have a beautiful accent...where are you from? Oh! If that is a bit too personal, please feel free to ignore the question. I will think nothing more of it." 

Snow listened to Opal and the more she spoke, the more Snow felt conflicted as whether to respect her or fear her. Perhaps a touch of both was appropriate? Yet, the girl tried to keep her focus on the garden at her knees. She needed at least one Gokoran Root to scratch all the veggies off the ingredient list. Then, they would need the Cockatrice Breast. Snow shuffled herself over to the next plant in the row.

"Me?" Snow asked, as if Opal had several options of people to address, "I was born in a nation close to Russia, the Czech Republic.

The blonde phalanx lifted the leaves of the plant in front of her and moved aside to get a look at the thick root beneath.

Spoiler

ID# 49926: [] LD: 1 [] MD: 8 []
No Materials Found
No Monsters Spawned

"I was on a study abroad program in Kyoto when I was first introduced to games," the novice valkyrie continued, "That's when I met my roommate and she bought us a copy of NerveGears and Sword Art Online. Her parents were from the Americas."

Her lips scrunched together when she saw the color was a dark red, almost like a rich wine. She let a sigh escape and patted the dirt back into place before standing. She briskly brushed the dirt from Hikoru's gifted clothing, the dirt showing plainly on the deep black fabric. Again, Snow scrunched her lips together. She hated black, but felt an attachment to the gift. It reminded her that not all of the fighters are bad.

That's when her crystalline gaze met Opal's pale irises. Snow quickly diverted the eye contact without fully understanding why.

"I'm sorry if this is forward," Snow began with her eyes adverted, "But you speak of those old Japanese customs like you live there. Or... you are just very into the culture? A lot of those things are still in practice in Kyoto. A lot of the shrines are devoted to the old practices..."

The young blonde bit her lip, then focused her attention back on the garden. She walked down the rows looking for a plant that resembled the one she needed. Since the others in the city used these gardens picked what they planted to replace what was harvested, the stock of flora changed frequently. Since this particular veggie was similar to carrots, it was one of the staples and should be easy to spot.

"Soon as I find this one ingredient, we can go looking for a cockatrice," Snow spoke as she searched. "It has long, slender leaves, sticky to the touch, and the root is a deep purple, about the thickness of a banana. Then, we can stretch that sword arm of yours."

The girl let out a soft chuckle at the end of the last sentence. She felt in the little time she knew Opal, that the woman enjoyed expressing herself more with the sword than with words. After hearing her talk about her late friend, Snow couldn't blame her. There was no time for memories when in the heat of combat. Though still inexperienced, Snow at least understood that much.

Edited by Snow

That was something exotic, you don't hear too many people coming from the Czech Republic often in this game and of course Snow being the first person she met from that country ever. If there was one thing, this world contained as many cultures as it did outside, it was like a mini earth floating about in this game. It didn't shock Opal too much though, there was bound to be people from all over the world here. She shifted once more towards the ground and stared at it, and her attention brought up from the direct question Snow had asked, Opal expressed some laughter from the question, "Before all this happened, I was a Chem Major at Penn State in the United States, I was a floozy sorority sister and accomplished chain smoker. It wasn't until about four months ago when things changed for me. I wasn't like this at the start. I was a woman, who knew how to get what she wanted, knew how to keep herself safe. I used my body for that purpose and not once did I think about helping the front lines. This was before I met Lindow mind you, I was a different woman back then. As I said...this game will change who you are...For better or for worse. But for me, it was for the better to some extent. There is a long story in there somewhere, but the short tale of it, I met an old man in this game named Myoga who followed both the teachings of Bushido and Ninja activist. He taught me everything I needed to know before he...passed away..." 

There was a small hitch in her throat before she cleared the way for her voice to become normal once more. Thinking about those times were stressing to the woman, but she found peace in herself after all that time. Well, something of peace. She turned to the ground as Snow explained the type of vegetable she was in search of. Opal not knowing heads or tails from all these things planted in the dirt got on her knees and began searching herself. 

As she was searching for this said vegetable, "If you are interested, I can bring you to the Temple I trained at when I was with Master Myoga. Have you looked at the other floors besides the first? The upper front line floors are a bit dreary, but we have a beautiful snow floor on four that is quite captivating. Not sure how much you are on fond of snow, Snow." The woman chuckled at the two names, it wasn't everyday someone named themselves after the white frost.  

"Hmmm...I think I found it...!" The woman gave a small little tug as a half eaten radish looking vegetable appeared in her hand from the soil, falling on her butt in the process, "Oh man...I really thought I found it for a moment..."  

ID: 49943
LD: 2

Edited by Opal
  • ID# 49967: [] LD: 20 [] +1 Material []

Today's topics were all bleak. While there were certainly positive notes to take away, both girls seemed to bear weights of their own. Opal, though often as chipper as Snow, seemed to carry a burden far heavier than the novice phalanx. However, as her new acquaintance continued, Snow caught herself smiling as she worked. The more Opal talked about her life before the incident, the more she sounded just like her friend. It felt as though even with Last Chance's name on the Monument of Life, Daire sent someone else to help be Snow's beacon in this place. Snow knew it was a silly notion. She doubted the two knew each other, but the idea warmed her.

"Well," Snow started as she lifted back some leaves to inspect the base of the vegetable, "I never knew you before all your changes, but I'm beginning to know you now, and I like who you are now. I won't pretend to know what you've been through, but maybe as friends, we can add some better memories?"

Snow smiled up at her, the sun warm on her face and catching light on the faint freckles peppered across her pale skin.

"I haven't been on the other floors just yet. I've heard stories in passing. The snow sounds amazing. I miss it. It snowed for most seasons of the year when I was a little kid which was fine. Winter was my favorite season afterall."

Snow giggled at Opal's mention of her username in congruence with the weather. Before she began her explanation, the teen noticed a new plant that just spawned in from its timer. Snow shuffled over to it to inspect.

"Aside from liking snow, when I came to Kyoto, some of the girls in our class nicknamed me 'Yuki'. They weren't used to seeing someone with pale hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. Plus, my real name was a little difficult for them to pronounce. Since Yuki was taken when I tried to start, I picked 'Snow'. So it worked out!

As she spoke, Snow's eyes brightened. The new plant that spawn in was exactly what she was looking for. Quickly, she gripped it by the leaves and ripped it from the soil. Almost at the same time, the girl's called out:

"I think I found it!"

Except Opal's was a half eaten equivalent of a radish and it tossed her on her bum. Snow couldn't help but burst into a fit of laughter, almost dropping her Gokoran Root and losing it to the discard system.

"I'm sorry!" the blonde barely managed through giggles and gasps. "I'm sorry! I shouldn't laugh! You okay?"

Edited by Snow

Opal turned her head at the amused Snow and smiled brightly enough, "Oh, I am quite fine. I'm used to being a dirty girl." Opal let go of the half eaten vegetable as it discolored and flaked away into digital ash. The Vice Commander stood up patting her behind of any debris that may have collected on her otherwise pristine equipment and paused for a moment to reflect on their conversation. 

Snow was an interesting person, someone she could probably become great friends with in the future, or even now. There was a growing bond between the two and her earlier comments towards the woman made her feel that bond of friendship, "Well should you want to see more of the Wonders of Aincrad, I'll be more than happy to escort you through whichever floor you'd like to embark on." Opal stolled towards Snow, causing to eclipse the sun as she stood in front of her, a hand stretching out to meet her own to stand.

"Being on the Front Lines isn't as great as it is cracked up to be. It is dangerous of course, but that is not the only feeling you will get when you face those doors the first time. Panic, anxiety, fear...We have meetings to go over what information the Scout Teams have acquired, but we honestly don't know what we are getting into until those doors open up. If you plan on being a Front Liner, Snow. You'll need more than just strength and the desire to be there. Take your greatest fear and see it multiply a hundred times over..." Opal swung her hand upwards to brush the ebony curtain of hair from her eyes. She was forged from something great, a great Man made her who she was today. Yet there were obstacles of the self she had to overcome along the way. Snow, she could do what Opal could not, be a true untainted soul in this world, free of darkened thoughts. 

"So! We have a few materials to gather I assume? I can finally break out my Masamune X and get some quality time with my baby." Opal had been lost in thought for a moment, completely forgetting where she was and what they were supposed to be doing, "You know? I know a friend that might be able to help you get stronger with that Spear of yours. His name is Lawfer, pretty nice guy. I am sure I can give him a heads up on you if you are interested in learning from another Spear Bearer." 

Moving from her spot, Opal left the small garden patch and examined the fields. They were to scout out a Cockatrice, maybe a big fat one or something with lots of meat? Opal was for taking on any monster adding it to little monsterpedia she had started in her little note section of unique creatures she had slain over time. The most frightening was possibly the Phantom from floor seven, the next would be the Ice Drake in a sub dungeon and that was besides the Boss Fights she was in during a floor raid. Looking back over her shoulder with a smile, "You point, I kill." Opal said with a small chuckle. 

"Greatest fear?" Snow repeated. He mind drifted for a while, floating past her positive facade and nervous kindness. It plunged past the anxiety and the depression and opened a door to something dark. The girl stood alone, silhouetted by that which she kept buried. She looked up to it with pinpoint pupils as it swallowed her alive.

The young blonde shuddered, and tried to shake away the pin needle pricks all over her body with hairs on end. She shook her head, trying to repress the door which she opened - all the animosity of day one, the fear, the hate, the despair. Death, torture, paralysis, dying alone...

Then she remembered her beacon of hope. She remembered the pillar that stopped her from collapsing when this nightmare began. Though the pillar had fallen to that which Snow feared, the values it left behind bared the weight. The teen had her fears and they were paralytic, but she gripped onto a phrase the dearly departed favored so:

"You never know what you can do unless you try. Right, Alyssa?"

Snow nodded, the silence of the last few moments now creating a slight air of awkwardness.

"I'll never know if I can face those fears unless I try. Right, Opal?" the girl repeated to her new friend. Her smile was weak, but the determination in those bright eyes of hers burned strong.

The young valkyrie stood and again dusted off her black attire with marginal success.

"Yup! Now to hunt us a Cockatrice. I've been told they're not strong, but their claws can paralyze you - kinda like the stories in mythology. You and your baby," Snow pointed at Opal's katana with a silly grin, "should be able to handle that."

"Let's head this way. The supporters of the Beginner's Refugee said they'd always find them in the tall grass to the west near the river and bridge," Snow took the lead, sure to check frequently that her protector and heroine in arms kept close. As they made way toward the west, Snow moseyed over the proposition Opal made about learning how to use her spear. The person named "Lawfer" she had mentioned for the second time now. The teen tried to be careful with those she approached or let close to her. In the real world, she knew how vile and lewd men could be. She primarily avoided dating for that reason alone. Since she stood out so starkly to those in Japan, it caused her undue stress and attention. Luckily, Daire stepped in when things got too uncomfortable. She was a girl that didn't take flack from anyone unless she chose to. Here, Snow didn't have that luxury. And here, men who chose a particular set of skills, could almost do whatever they wanted to another character. Especially one of lower level than them.

"Lawfer?" Snow began, her cheerful tones now timid, "You said he was nice, right?"

Snow kept the lead, not turning back to make eye contact as she spoke.

"Are you two... close?" she continued, trying to garner a little more information about him before agreeing to arrange a meeting.

Edited by Snow

There was ambition in those eyes of Snow, the same ones the woman had when she was training with Master Myoga, and she knew just from those eyes alone that she would do great things in the future so long as she kept her mind on it. Opal smiled with a titled head and nodded as the young woman took lead of the Cockatrice sightings. On the way, Snow had asked of Lawfer from an earlier comment she made, "Ahh, yes. He is a protector, strong of heart and is quite dutiful. I've spent much time with him as well...We are...friends, yes. I would say we are close in that regards. We have a history together as being in the same guild as before known as the Crimson Blades, but now that guild has merged with my own." 

She followed in suit with the young spear bearer as they moved through the tall emerald grass. With one hand shifting out, the Vice Commander felt the breeze through her fingers as she weaved her hands through the grass, feeling the tips as she gently closed her eyes and felt the sun on her face once more. It was a good day, a fun day and while she did not mean to throw in topics of such heated darkness, she would try to make it up to Snow sometime soon in a more outgoing and fun outing.  However soon enough as they were traveling through the tall grass, Opal felt a bump of a hand against her shoulder. Blinking quite a few times, she noticed the hand belonged to Snow and she looked onwards to what she was pointing at. 

Opal's name was said a half a dozen times as the young woman was excited to see the beasts probably more so for the fact after this kill was done, she could finish up her quest. The cockatrices' didn't seem to sense their presence, they were outside the aggro zone apparently but they were huge much taller than Opal had thought they were to be. They were a legendary and mythic creature after all, but this was...

"Those are some pretty large cocks..." Opal said removing the Masamune from the saya. Keeping her hand back towards Snow to protect her, the mythic birds finally noticed the two of them, "Such a majestical animal..." Opal was caught in the gaze of one of the overgrown turkeys as it bore down their gaze into her soul. The woman could feel her body becoming induced by a paralysis effect until she was snapped to from her training. Quickly shutting her eyes, the woman <<Charged>> in for the kill, her blade sweeping side to side twice before a flurry of strikes were stricken over their large bodies. The beasts succumbed to her Amatsu no Humara, the strongest of her Katana Arts, as they fell and died into pixelated nothingness flying in the winds. Opal gave a sigh of relief when the battle was done, looking Snow over, "You alright? I think I got them before they were able to make a move on us." Opal shifted and collected the prize winning loot and handed the sack of col and the materials to Snow. 

"I hope you can make something fantastic from those. And keep the Col, you might need it sooner or later. Its hard getting that stuff during the early stages."

<<Battle Engaged>>

Opals HP: 152/152
EN: 18/38
Sword Art: Amatsu no Humara || 20 EN || Dmg: 120- 24 Mit = 96 Dmg

Cockatrice: 0/95 HP || 24 Mit || 50 Dmg
Cockatrice: 0/95 HP || 24 Mit || 50 Dmg
Cockatrice: 0/95  HP || 24 Mit || 50 Dmg
Cockatrice: 0/95  HP || 24 Mit || 50 Dmg

ID: 50132
BD: 8 = Hit
MD: 6-3 = Miss
LD: 13
Extra Loot: +4 Mats, +1900 Col 
All loot goes to Snow

OOC: 4am posting, couldnt think of anything too cute and adorable for your character. I tried. :)

Edited by Opal

[OOC: Post was fine, lol. I'm not very picky. Thanks for the loot though! You could have kept the most of it.]

Snow milled over the thought of meeting this, Lawfer. The blonde typically avoided confrontation and disliked the idea of combat. However, her promise indicated it as a necessity. If she were to truly live in the steps of another, she would need to learn to fight. Even with the spear, the longest reaching weapon available, Snow would need to embrace close quarters combat. 

"I wouldn't mind meeting him," Snow concluded. "I'll have to learn as much as possible about fighting if I want to make it."

No sooner did Snow finish her sentence did Opal reach out a hand in warning. The swordswoman made a light jest at toward the large birds which elicited a nervous smile and slight blush from the blonde. Snow reached for her spear and by the time she held it in both hands, Opal lunged forward. Her blade swept like a reaper's scythe, cutting through grass and fowl alike. All the flora and fauna caught in her dance of demise scattered to the breeze like leaves made of diamond. Sparkling, glistening, then gone.

A cold tingle crawled from the base of Snow's neck all the way down her back. Her grip on her spear loosened and as Opal rose with the spoils in hand, the blonde shook off the disbelief of what she had just witnessed.

"Those were... You..." Snow stammered as Opal placed the rewards in her hand. The popup for a zero exchange trade notified the girl of the gift.

"You weren't kidding! I just had to point and..." Snow looked at her finger, then back to Opal.

"How on earth will I ever come close to something like that?" she mumbled under the whisper of a soft breeze. The novice valkyrie accepted the gift and it vanished to her inventory. Obviously in no further need of her spear, Snow latched it to its harness on her back. She shook off the daze and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why don't we get back to town and relax then. Maybe over some of those pot pies? We could invite Lawfer if he's available."

Edited by Snow

Red lips curved into a quirky smile as she looked on Snow's amazed expression. Opal's eyes were wide as she nodded her head, "Cool trick, huh? And no I wasn't kidding, you point to whatever you want and I kill it. Though, that only works on most mobs. I usually take them down by round two. Even I don't have a hundred percent accuracy rate, yet. I will though soon. I've been collecting my SP for a month or so saving up for a special skill I had my eye on. Once I get that, things will go 'poof'" Opal snapped her fingers, "Just like that...And hopefully it will prove useful for other things..." 

The Vice Commander cleared her throat and adjusted the blade as she swept it left and right before plunging the sword back into the ornate looking saya. A hand fell over Snow's shoulder as Opal looked on to her, "You are already strong, Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It takes guts to do what you are doing and passion. As I said before, that was my strongest attack. You'll get that one day and I'll help you out as much as I can." Opal slid the saya over one of her milky shoulders and relaxed a bit, bringing her right arm over the other as she stretched upwards. It was a good workout to get the blood flowing, and honestly, she thought those cockatrices's might have put up a bit more fight. But had she been focused on their gaze any longer, she would have succumbed to their stone gaze which would have meant trouble for the young spear bearer. 

Snow had suggested going back to town and relax, Opal nodded to the suggestion and laughed nervously when she brought up Lawfer, "AHaha...yeah...I suppose I can ask him to come down and visit. It would be nice for the two of you to meet. Not too bad on the eyes either if you catch my drift, Hun." Opal hip checked the female as she laughed a bit, her saya disappearing into her inventory as they walked back to the town. 

"I am glad we were able to do this. I have a brother named Ren outside this game, he's younger than I am and my only sibling. If I were to have a sister..." Opal took a moment to walk backwards as she placed both hands over her head and examined Snow, "Yeah, definitely..." she chuckled lightly, spinning back on the ball of her foot and coming up to the entrance of the gated city. With a shimmer, her body fluttered with a light as she was once more back in her casual style clothing. Her 'Inked' top and long faded denim jeans, platinum rebel hair and those diamond colored eyes. 

"Before I make my way back into that cafe, I am going to have a small smoke break outside. You should get that quest turned in and reap in your rewards though. I'll be back in a moment," Opal said smiling and waving to the woman. She had been jonesing for a cig break for a little while but didn't want to look trashy in front of her new friend, she knew what some people thought of smokers, she was a chain smoker in the outside of this game and she had enough grief from her mother about it, but the woman wouldn't kick her habit, not when it did nothing but calm her nerves in this game of death.