Word Count Poll

What do you think is a fair word count requirement per post?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One:

• 100 Words
    • 110 Words
    • 125 Words
    • 150 Words (What it is currently)
    • Other (Write Below)

There's been a few concerns regarding the general post count for the site, so Staff figured it'd be a good idea to allow the people who it affects the most to have a voice: the players! So, vote now while the polls are hot!

If you select Other, please write in a new post what you think an adequate post count would be. If you see somebody who has the same number or a number close enough to what you would've written yourself, feel free to vote up their post.

(PS: don't vote multiple times using alts because you'll get in trouble. and trust me, we know who your alts are.)

I'd like to think of myself more of a writer than a role player. But I guess that tend to goes hand in hand. In honesty, I understand having a relaxed and stress free word count for individuals who are short on time and can not make a productive quality post for another. However, I feel if we really wanna challenge our minds and explore writing as an art rather than a term of power, I think the WC should be upped to 500 words per post. This is obviously a intimidating number for those who can barely squeeze in the 150, but I think the new counter as of now is reasonable sufficient. 

Instead of looking at it as a displeasure, look at it as a challenge for yourself and be a better role player! 

Either lower it to 100 or leave it where it is. For the love of Aincrad though, don't raise it. 

500 words per post is insane and so many people would either rage quit, fill their posts with complete nonsense, or only post like once a week if it was that high.

I also feel like a high word count doesn't necessarily lead to more detailed posts. Like I said the other day, I just break up my contractions now and get a couple extra words that way without putting in that much more detail than I did before. :T 

Overall, I'm gonna say most of us aren't professional writers and while it is good to offer people a challenge/goal of some sort it shouldn't be forced on them. 

10 hours ago, Opal said:

I'd like to think of myself more of a writer than a role player. But I guess that tend to goes hand in hand. In honesty, I understand having a relaxed and stress free word count for individuals who are short on time and can not make a productive quality post for another. However, I feel if we really wanna challenge our minds and explore writing as an art rather than a term of power, I think the WC should be upped to 500 words per post. This is obviously a intimidating number for those who can barely squeeze in the 150, but I think the new counter as of now is reasonable sufficient. 

Instead of looking at it as a displeasure, look at it as a challenge for yourself and be a better role player! 

If the minimum is upped to 500 I won't rp here anymore.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Hikoru said:

And it's fine to challenge yourself @Nezumi, but that doesn't mean that everyone else had to struggle for that. If a person wants to grow as a writer, they can challenge themselves on their own time. But everyone is comfortable with the 150 word count, and thats where it lies

Aye, I get that but 20% of people who voted said that they wanted 100 word minimum and that it  was more realistic. All I was saying was if you continue to only write the minimum its always going to seem like a chore or impossibility unless you challenge yourself to write more.

Edited by Nezumi
22 hours ago, Macradon said:

I would say that it feels like a chore to do more than 150 already. But I tend to write more in my posts because I feel like it, and I don't force others to write as much as I do.

I dont think you quite understand what i mean... All im saying is the more you push and challenge yourself to write more then 150 words the easier its going to become and before long 150 words will seem like nothing.

13 hours ago, Nezumi said:

I dont think you quite understand what i mean... All im saying is the more you push and challenge yourself to write more then 150 words the easier its going to become and before long 150 words will seem like nothing.

With the amount of crafting I used to do, I would've gone insane if I would be doing a lot just for crafting. I'd be doing the same thing over and over and over. It'd get monotonous and boring. I already stopped RPing for a bit cause of that very reason. I think 150 is fine minimum. It challenges new people and would give enough content in the post for others to react to.

i just want to point out that there is only so many ways you can describe swinging and missing a boar before its gets redundant... I remember going insane one day and writing complete nonsense after missing a bore because i complete ran out of things to say. I also think crafting should not have as high of a word count for the same reason...