PP-F2: 'Gathering Confidence and Materials'

"Why would this be anything different then one of those?"

Her figure approached the cute, lighthearted scene - Out of seemingly nowhere Mari spoke, strong cold voice breaking the light atmosphere. As though her very presence just sucked the joy out of those around her. "When you die in your dreams, you wake up. Here, you die. You die away from the comfort of your own life, you die in a false fantasy world. Cold and alone. That's the difference."

Mari crossed her arms over her armour. Despite it's pastel colour, it was intimidating - perfect quality, well shined thanks to Esther, and adorned with dyed dragon scales and toxic thorns. Just getting close to Mari was a danger in and of itself. The woman had been away from society, and from the front lines for a very long time, but it was clear that she still held a commanding presence. Mari shifted her weight to one side. Cold blue eyes danced over Rin's figure. "Mmm?" This was the 'meek girl' that Esther talked about? Her attire certainly didn't leave much to the imagination. She wore a light pink collar, adorned with roses - and a black tight fitting suit. Similar to the one Mari used to have for Material hunting. 

"Esther." Mari turned her gaze to the lilac haired girl. "You didn't tell me your friend was such a kinkster, what are ya? Collar sisters or somethin?" 

Mari then noted that they weren't wearing shoes. She raised a questioning brow, but wasn't going to ask. It was better if she didn't. "Right. C'mon then. Follow me." Mari turned, and started walking back toward the forest.

Esther smiled as she watched Rin take off her own boots. Rin really was a wonderful friend, someone Esther just enjoyed being around. There was little drama, virtually no hurt feelings, no talk of frontlining, or battling. It was just...fun Esther pressed her feet deeper into the dirt, feeling the mud squelch between her toes. Her emerald eyes watched as Rin was finally relaxing, bending over to smell a flower.

"Maybe that's what he intended, maybe he didn't intend for it to be so...." she tilted her head, glancing toward the sky. "So sad...yanno?" Before Esther could continue her line of thought, Mari arrived. Esthers eyes lit up. "Mari!" Her joy was short lived, as Mari stared at both herself and Rin, almost disprovingly. Esther scooted over to Rin, grabbing hold of her hand. If Mari was going to intimidate Rin, Esther wanted to show Rin that she'd be here, by her side.

"Someones a grumble butt in the morning..." Esther whispered to Rin after Mari's rather macabre explanation of their predicament. It was her way of trying to lighten the mood again. 

Mari turned her attention to Esther, and asked about collar sisters. "C-Collar sisters....?' It took a minute for the term to register with Esther. Collar sisters, it was a term used when one person had two people under their 'collar' the two people generally shared the same role and responsibilities, but why was Mari placing that on them? Was it meant to be a joke. Esther scoffed, taking it as a joke. "Pffft, you wish you could handle both of us." 

Mari turned to walk away, and Esther breathed out a sigh, turning to Rin she mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' she honestly hoped Mari would have been a little.....nicer.

"Mariii...." Esther whined, clearly not bothered by Mari's cold demeanour.  She pulled Esther along, as the two followed the Player Killer. "That's rude. The least you could do is introduce yourself."

As waited among the splendors of nature Rin smiled her eyes clamping shut as she decided to simply enjoy the company of a splendid companion as she felt the grass tickle her feet. She giggled before then stopping hearing the chilling voice now ringing out over the area, it felt like spring had quickly took a pass through autumn to winter. The girls head now began to crane over, an almost  tangible creek accompanying the silence as she now curled up nervously hearing the rather forbearing outlook on how death in this world was nothing like that of a dream, she was of course right but there was still a hope. As none of them ever escaped this virtual reality they couldn't specifically testify to what Kayaba declared when he ensnared them in this realm.

Her dear friend Esther now attempting to alleviate the situation by simply stating that her rather imposing companion was just grumpy and possibly awoken on the wrong side of the bed. As she spoke about how she seemed to be into some awkward sort of fetish with collar she inwardly protested. She softest displeasure of being associated with such indecent thoughts or pleasures, unfortunately Mari's comments were only met with silence. The girl's composure flipping like the faces of a coin, one side a stoic posture of a face the other the backside known as the tail. A body-part she would have displayed if she leaped onto the bandwagon of her fears.

"I-I'm not ..."

The girl softly murmured in response to Mari's comments about being  a kinky collar sister.

@Mari

Edited by Rin

"Rude?"

Mari scoffed. "Girl. Who the hell do you think I am? I'm not exactly a nice person. I'm a Player Killer. I've killed people. Most sane people would avoid a murderer. People like me are judged. Executed and locked away. So, Esther..." Mari paused, turning her head over her shoulder to look at the other girl. "And Rin...if you think me being rude is something to complain about- you need to re-check your priorities."

Mari sighed. She knew she was being unrealistically harsh, but Esther was bothering her lately. Esther was too trusting. Too happy, she'd probably get stabbed then try to befriend the person. It was for her own good. Rin didn't seem much better, too timid. Too meek. Mari arrived at the edge of the forest. The other two girls in tow. "Look...." Mari said with a sigh. "You can hang around me if you want. Just remember that, ok? Remember that people like me - we don't get to choose to live in normal society. We don't deserve it. We deserve to have justice thrust upon us. We deserve to be locked away. Don't take anyone with an orange crystal lightly. No matter how nice they appear to be."

Esther frowned. Quickly retorting to Mari's grim outlook. "Well. Yes, but that's why we have trials. Mari..." Esther turned to Rin, she wasn't sure if she should be saying what she was about to say in front of Rin, but if anything - Mari would just storm off, Esther knew Mari wouldn't do anything to hurt them. "Mari... what kind of Jury would prosecute someone who was forced to kill their own daughter? Would you judge someone guilty of murder - if they were just protecting a group of children like you did? Yes...its...it's wron...Murder is so wrong...but...not everyone can be judged in just black and white..."

Esther shuffled, the conversation had turned incredibly dark and serious. She should have expected as much, as this was Mari, but still. "Rin.." Esther murmured, so Mari couldn't hear the two talk. "I'm sorry. Maybe this wasn't a good idea...I just, I don't know - Mari doesn't seem to be in a good mood today." Esther gave Rin's hand a tight squeeze, stepping in closer to her. "We can still go material gathering."

Rin now winced, deep down their was that a part of her that understood what Mari was saying wasn't merely to be harsh. She needed to check he priorities but she also knew what her heart felt and deep down she knew Esther was right something about the woman seemed gentle, if not structured by a large imposing wall that she was currently confronted with. This talk was quite dreary, Rin found herself falling deeper into those desperate emotions wishing that they could attempt to alleviate the atmosphere that was now about them. As she listened though Esther brought up the sensitive topic it would seem of why Mari's crystal was the shade of orange that associated one with the pker's. Her eyes now watering a she heard the summarized story not understanding how terrible such events would rock one morally. She continued her stroll hand in hand with Esther as she sympathized with the mother. As Esther tried to apologize for the situation though as she shook her head back and forth to whisper back.

"It's ok I know that she is just trying to protect us I really should have been more hesitant with pker's as not all of them are safe to be around. I-I just c-can't imagine she must have gone through?"

Rin wanted to stroll up and hug Mari, no mother should have to see their daughter die and was this game the cause of such horrendous scenes. Mother and daughter's turning against one another what if that happened with her and Alex she didn't think she would have kept on living. As the continued on her urge to hug Mari only grew as she continued to think through the story till finally she pulled Esther along and leaped into Mari's chest wrapping her arms and nuzzling her face into Mari as she cried.

"I'm sorry but that must have been terrible to live with."

@Mari

Edited by Rin

Mari lowered her head, pausing her stead into the forest. Even now, even now Esther did nothing but try and compliment her, pushing her own optimistic ideals onto her. "Esther..." Mari muttered, her voice low. "I think you should know, I don't plan on leaving this game. I've killed people. Not just one. Multiple I don't deserve to walk around as a free woman. Regardless of circumstances, I've committed the ultimate sin. I have nothing to return to. I have nothing here. The only reason I'm still around is some sick and twisted form of self hate and justice. Now - let's change the subject. I'd rather not have two lil' balls of light get all depressed because of me, eh?" Mari said. Lifting her head as she turned to face the two girls - forcing a smile. 

Then, unexpectedly Rin leapt out and wrapped her arms around Mari, with Esther in tow. "W-what?" Mari blinked. Her first reaction was anger, "who the f**k do you think you are?" She gripped Rin's shoulders, ready to heave the girl off, but she just gripped tighter. Rubbing her face against Mari's chest. She was....apologising? Mari blinked, she didn't know how to react. Instead of pulling Rin off Mari gruffly pat the girls head, glancing away.

"S'fine."

Rin rested against Mari's chest tears rolling down her cheeks like they were rain drops till she pulled her face away from the woman's chest now looking up as if she was a child against her mother. It couldn't be far from that as she had a dreary backstory that was rather suddenly introduced to Rin who was incapable of holding back her true emotions yet. How was it possible that Mari managed to find a way to live on even after such a crushing lost. After he passed away she nearly shut down in that inn room unwilling to leave at all if it wasn't for the payments needed to keep her place and the inn keeper kicking her out abruptly. She didn't really expect her emotions to be met with such gentleness as she thought Mari was the type who would have just tossed her away and yelled at her for being to sympathetic as people who were orange probably deserved none in her own thought process if all this was true. 

Rin's grip slowly loosened as she kept up apologizing till finally she now slid away her face stained by the tears and still glistening as she couldn't stop. It wasn't every day she heard tragic stories that were even worse then simply losing  beloved friend, this time killing her own daughter. She never would know the reasons completely but she didn't need to know if she was protecting others like Esther said. This was a new project perspiring into her heart as she wanted to help the woman as badly as Esther knowing the full reasons. 

"I-It's not fine though you can't just shrug away those feelings of your daughter!"

She shouted a bit angry that she would push out those sensations before raising her hand to her lips to silence herself a bit startled by her own words.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it like t-that."

She now glanced over to Esther hoping for help.

@Esther @Mari

Edited by Rin

"M...Mari.....R-rin..." Esther looked between the two, at first it seemed like Mari was going to push Rin out the way, or at least slap her - but she didn't. Esther grabbed her heart, breathing a sigh of relief. Mari wasn't as angry, or violent as the rumours made her out to be. Mari just seemed...shocked that someone started to hold her. Esther bit her lip. She had to admit, she was a little jealous. She had known Mari longer, and yet Rin had managed to get closer to her than she, but that wasn't a bad thing was it? Mari having someone hold her? When was the last time Mari did something like that? Esther wasn't sure.

Rin started crying, and Esther carefully approached from behind. Lightly Rubbing Rin's back to help comfort her. "It's ok Rin. It's upsetting." Esther bit her lip, trying to shift the conversation, and the mood to something less....depressing.

"M-Maybe we should start looking for materials now?" Esther asked

"You're getting your gross ass tears on me." Mari muttered disdainfully. Her actions did not match her rude tone and statement. Mari had pulled out a spare cloth and forcibly wiped away Rin's tears. Could she have been more delicate? Most definitely, but delicacy was not Mari's forte. Not with this sort of thing. This girl, Rin...Mari wasn't sure why she was being so emotional. "You're the sorta kid to wear their heart on their sleeves aren't cha?" Mari asked, pushing Rin's fringe out of her eyes. "Better." She mused. Mari didn't like it when she couldn't see other people's facial expressions. Made them harder to read. 

"Ya shouldn't. People will use that to their advantage. You'll find yourself used, or killed."

Mari tried to pry Rin off of her, but Rin held tighter, before finally loosening. Mari's eyes narrowed when Rin told her she shouldn't just shrug away those feelings. Mari grabbed hold of Rin's shoulders. Nails digging into them as she pushed Rin away. Even as Rin apologised Mari bought her face close to Rins, her voice lowered into a seething tone.

"I don't. Not a day goes by where I do not consider throwing myself off the edge of this f**king god forsaken hell hole. This world, Rin, is bile, and the moment you realize that there are no happy endings. The better." And with that, Mari let Rin go, turning her back on both Rin and Esther.

"You wanted Materials. Let's go get them, then I am done here."

Rin's eyes rolled back, the pleasure of the back rub from Esther causing her to now lean backwards into the other girl before shaking her head back into reality. As she blushed she now wrapped her hands around her chest before gulping nervously and nodding in agreement with the two of them. As the tears were rubbed away she cringed and began feeling her body push away with the touch of her eyes now being exposed like a window who's curtains have been parted for prying eyes to look into. The harsh talk about how she would probably end up dead thanks to her rather submissive nature made her nod feeling that maybe it would be a better idea to just jump out of this world and join Alex in the next one. Her own lack of courage made that impossible though as she didn't have the stomach to end her own life.

Rin now stood there nervously before sighing and attempting to not think of how Mari could be completely correct about this place, it was dank and dreary but she at least new people who saw it in the light. Esther was one of  few whom shared her view on life perhaps that was why they were trying so hard to open Mari back to the good things in life. Rin simply nodded in agreement and now wandered off to search for some mats her eyes occasionally jumping back up to Mari's back.

• 2 weeks later...

Esther worried.

This encounter didn't go according to her plan. Not that she was good at planning much of anything anyway...She didn't expect Mari to snap at Rin, or for Rin - who usually seemed so timid and shy to latch onto Mari. Esther didn't expect Mari to treat Rin with kindness, Mari didn't even treat Esther with that sort of kindness, but - it was oddly comforting to see that Mari didn't immediately push Rin away.

As Mari shifted away from the two Esther approached Rin. Placing a hand on her shoulder. "You don't believe that, right?" Esther asked softly. "That there are no happy endings?" Esther guided Rin to look at her. "There are so many possibilities." she squeezed Rin's hand. "So many endings. We can make happy ones. Not just endings, but beginings, how about it Rin?" Esther stepped closer. "You and I, we're pretty similar, yes? Why not work together. Let's make all those sad stories happy ones." 

As Esther suggested the path of creating a wake of happy endings behind them she smiled, few people ever thought her the type to care about others due to her uneasy tension. She pulled away and then walked forward the hand of the pink maned girl now attempting to reassure her that what Mari had said wasn't the truth. There are no happy endings. Rin's heart sank as she thought back to Alex, the man whom she thought she would spend the rest of her life with. she stopped in her tracks as she began to process this fully, Mari was right. This world was a hell that they were locked into and the only events that have ever changed her life were those that plagued her nightmares She dreamed of that faithful day and events that could have transpired to save him. 

Deep down she wanted to say no it is all a lie and everyone deserves happiness, but her own experiences backed up her story. The frail nerves of the girl now forced her head to collapse onto Esther's shoulders  as she simply nodded agreeing with Esther since she couldn't find the words. She cried just a bit before wiping it away with her free hand as she finally said.

"Y-yes we are ... l-lets help people no matter what."

• 1 year later...

The trio continued their search for materials, never quite seeing eye to eye.

Despite this... Esther was happy. She was with two people she greatly cared about. She was able to see a more kinder side to Mari, and see the pink haired woman open up, even if it were only a tiny bit. Unnoticeable to the regular player. But Esther...ESther could see just how hard the woman tried. That alone meant the world to the pacifist. Then there was Rin...Rin was a little more complicated, Esther tried hard with Rin but no matter what she did  it seemed the timid moussey haired girl just went along with whatever the crowd was doing. Esther understood the sentiment, but sorely wanted the girl to come out of her shell.

In due time... Esther told herself that in due time, all things would work out.

The world wasn't such a bad place as the two made it out to be.

Everything would work out.