[OP-F9] Hydrogen Sulfide

The smell was just annoying to get a whiff of, although it was more than just a whiff at times, along with the uncomfortable heat that was present because of the volcano underneath. It was a bit annoying and a little jeopardous entering Vulcan Village since it was a possibility that if she didn't watch where she was going, she could fall down and die. The smell of rotten eggs just made the whole experience bad, although she was only here to see what quests were here that she could try her hand at once she managed to reach a level where the quest could actually be completed by herself. She wanted to ask some players that had taken the quests what was it like because solo players that take quests sometimes end up dying, something something boars on floor 1. Although, the enemies on this floor were way worse and dangerous than a boar. As well as constant boiling and crackling sound magma still in the volcano down below. Wiping a few stray brown strands out of her eyes, she sped up her pace and entered the town. 

Biting out of a loaf of bread that shestill had from the starter kit that was recieved back during the beginning of the game, Kotori made note again of the weird choice of clothing the NPCs wore. A mix of metal and cloth didn't exactly sound like something comfortable or sensible. Odd choice of design, both in clothing and now that she thought about it, the village itself. Large metal cables holding the town above certain death didn't scream amazing. Surprising that Akihiko didn't just make the whole town sway just to mess with everyone there. That would make it so she wouldn't dare come here. She wanted some sort of reason not to pass ever through here as the smell was just an annoyance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floor 9. Out of all the places that he could have gone to cover some further ground, he decided that it was a bright idea to go to the one near the halfway point of the current floor that everyone was going to. Sey has always pushed his luck and hoped for the best, and perhaps he was just a magnet to it since being alive considering all that he had gone through was impossible according to the odds. However, that was a fact that not only did he accept with pride, but embraced with open arms as he continued to test it day by day. Did he plan to go outside of the safe zone village and enter some combat with the enemies up so high...? Nah, even he knew when it was a good idea to stop it. It was not every day where he got to relax instead of go on a level grinding mission like he had always been doing. But if there just so happened to be a quest up high that he was able to do, why not take advantage? It's not like he was going to be around for too long anyways.

The smell was certainly something that he must adapt to, and it was already decided that he was not going to reside in the inns on this floor if they shared a similar smell to the one of the atmosphere up so high. Not only was it dangerous, but not even inviting! What exactly was the appeal to it? Honestly, he could not imagine what it must have been like for some poor scout to go into this without even knowing what kind of nasty-smelling environment existed. Oh well... At least there was enough heat to invite him for a good walk. So he'd just turn the negative into a positive and walk around town, only to find some girl through all of it that did not share the same looking chainmail and metal he had witnessed from NPCs. What else? She seemed to be eating bread... "Hey there! Sorry to interrupt, but... They have a bakery up on this floor?" He wondered why such a putrid area would have something as formal as a bakery.

"Hey there! Sorry to interrupt, but... They have a bakery up on this floor?"

Kotori stuffed the rest of the bread in her mouth, chewing before swallowing and then opening her mouth to speak. "No idea, have bread on me." She muttered, wiping the crumbs off her mouth with the palm of her hand. "Did you want some or something? I still have some more on me, I think." Judging from what he said, he could either be surprised because this place was a crap hole or because he was hungry or something. Asking him if he wanted would clear that up and also probably make her feel a bit better for actually being a bit nice for once.

"Hm, now how can I resist such an offer? Want something in return though?" He'd ask, tilting his head to the side. this girl seemed to be polite, offering him some food all of a sudden. He could understand why she did it though, and it was not like he was dirt poor or anything, but this was an invitation for a meal! Who could resist something like that? So he'd place his hands in his pockets as he would answer her question. "Well, out of all floors that there might be a bakery in, and considering how... Weird the area is, I wanted to know if someone actually took the challenge of putting a bakery up here. I noticed the bread... So... He was hoping that she would put together the puzzle pieces, he himself was not a fan of finishing awkward sentences. While it was not bad in itself, he felt like it was a bit weird regardless. Perhaps it was just instinct, but at least with a little thought, his message would get across.

Hydra had recently travelled to the ninth floor 9 in order to complete some quests, with most of his work done the spearman had decided to take a break and tour the floor a little. Right now he was headed towards the main settlement 'Vulcan Village' although was trying to stay slightly off piece to avoid raising any suspicion over his orange cursor. "Hm mm mm." The young adventurer mumbled a tune to himself as he bumbled along the various paths and walkways, trying not to look down at the various craters of lava directly below him. One slip up would be the end. As for the smell, it was awful, but being exposed to it for a while meant he had grown use to it.

After a few hours of walking the brunette had nearly arrived, Hydra heard most the settlers in this place had very odd clothing, so upon seeing an adventurer dressed in his own attire entering the settlement, worried him a little. "No I have to get over this." He said shaking his head, "It wasn't my fault." The spearman slowly edged his way towards the main path and walked swiftly towards the gates. Seeing he was catching a few glimpses from the guards here and there he headed to the closest store. Following the previous player who had just walked in. 

Unfortunately in his rush he moved a little too quickly. The spearman tripped up on himself crashing into the nearest player who happened to have been asking for a bakery. *Thud* Hydra hit the floor hard, a little dazed he glanced upwards. "Sorry, please forgive me. I got ahead of myself." he mumbled at the pair of players. 

"Pretty sure this is the bread that you get from the beginning, its not like this has some special healing property or whatever. I mean if you want too.. suree." She said, her eyes looking off to the side. She had 9 more loaves which meant if he did actually pay in return, maybe she could find herself up in col. Not like she couldn't make anymore, although it had been a while since she was in her store and she didn't remember that well how to make it. "You know, just because its a bad place to put a bakery doesn't mean there won't be a NPC bakery which I'm not sure is a thing, but I'm positive it is. Anyway, think fas-" As she threw the bread to Sey whilst speaking, she stopped as another player crashed into him. The foot that she was leaning on slid back on its heel as she stepped back from the two. "Don't lose your head trying then." She said with a bit of a smirk.

Thanks patches! He had yet to see any bread... Probably because of how easy it was to get col now, they might have taken away the water and bread he once had at the beginning. However, before getting the chance to reply, he'd brace himself as he would take out one of his hands from his pockets, the right one, only for a sudden weight to crash into him from behind. Instant panic flashed in his violet eyes as he quickly opened up his HUD screen with the flick of his left hand, the only free hand he had since bread was in the right hand, before equipping the spear. Hastily, he'd swing the starter weapon towards the one behind him, only to stop suddenly when he heard the word "Sorry" mumbled from his lips. "Ah... My bad..." He'd reply in turn before putting the weapon away, the panic no longer induced in him as he pushed himself back up onto his feet, then biting a bit of bread. "It was a sudden shock, I thought you were trying to... You know... Attack," He'd explain. "All in all, are you okay?"

Edited by Sey

Hydra was a little surprised by the sudden appearance of a weapon but he had been in a situation like this before. "Attack?" The word lingered in his mind for a second, his head still spinning. Eventually he came to his sense and let out a friendly laugh at the remark. "No forgive me, I can see why it may have appeared that way though." Standing up the spearman quickly brushed off any dust and dirt. He then looked up to the one he crashed into first. "Oh I see you also use a one handed spear." Hydra said as though it was highly unusual to find others who had the same weapon these days. His own weapon was equipped on his back, the silver tip reflecting any light than shon on it. 

Turning to the other player he bowed his head slightly. "Sorry if I ruined your meal. Erm my name is Hydra. It's a pleasure to meet you both."

Kotori stood back a little, staring at the bright-orange cursor above the boy's head to signify that he had killed another person. This kid killed someone, as clumsy and awkward as he appears? Wonder how that even managed to happen, although he could be putting up an act. No, no, she wasn't gonna start thinking like that again, that way of thought let only to bad things and she had enough of those. "You shouldn't be slow if you are attacked though." She was hoping to try to up her evasive skill, something that felt better than just being able to tank a hit. Better to dodge than be hit at all. "What's your real name?" Getting hit still lowers HP unlike dodging. Although, there did need to be people to take hits so she wouldn't be struck hard. Definitely better that it was them and not her.

He never really did care for the orange mark above a players head. For two reasons in this case. One, they were very near a safe zone, so bailing out towards that direction was an easy escape. And second... He didn't seem to cause harm yet... If he really thought he could kill Sey, he would have done it by now. It would have been perfect to engage in combat since the snow-haired player lashed out his spear. Yet, he refused to attack, but to instead apologize. "I prefer to tank. Glass cannons eventually miss a step eventually. What then covers them? I don't mind taking a hit every now and then." He would explain as he would tilt his head to the side. However, despite not quick fearing the player with the orange crystal, he was not quite so ready to give out his own name. "Not quite yet, considering this is a rather interesting development. Maybe I'll give my name at a later point in time." He turned his head over to the player who went by "Hydra". "But regardless, what business do you have here, if I may ask?"

Hydra received two very different reactions from each player. Turning to the bread muncher first who was a bit more sceptic about his orange cursor he answered her. "Mmm you are right." The spearman slowly reached for his amulet pulling it out, his voice was calm though and still friendly. "I have had this amulet for a long time, and if im in true danger then I can evade most strikes. The reason I was slow well perhaps I knew I wasn't in true danger, or perhaps your friend over here was about to strike me critically." He paused and took in a breathe of air, giving her his real name certainly felt odd. It was not something he had spoken of for a long time, he still complied however wanting to gain some trust. "My real name is Peter..." The words sounded just as strange as the thought did. In any case Hydra wasn't offended at all by her questioning.

After this he turned to the other player. He seemed a little less alienated by Hydra's presence but still was a little cautious. "I understand... as for my business here well..." The spearman's words got stuck in his throat. "Im lonely..." Was what he wanted to say, instead he quickly thought of the next thing which came to his head. "I was after some bread." Was what came out. The brunette nearly facepalmed himself as he said it not really knowing what sort of reaction to expect.

Edited by Hydra

She wasn't too sure if Sey was just responding to the other guy about why he has a spear as a weapon or he was able to read minds, although it was probably just the former. "Talking to Hydra over here, but okay." She started tapping at the floor with her shoes as she scrunched up her nose. Weird how the two both answered each other's questions, were they like synced or something? "Was talking to him when I asked that and why not get something that'll evade regardless of whether you're in true danger or whatever? I could go to floor 1 and get hit by boar, but not be in much danger. Still rather avoid it." Peter was his name. Maybe she shouldn't have put her first name as her username, probably common sense not to. Too late now anyway. And now it seemed another person wanted bread as well. Kotori tossed a bread in Hydra's direction, deciding to stop being charitable.

Moves that seemed rather familiar, and while words were unable to get through him, he was able to recognize them before. Data was carried over with simple answers, and those answers tend to branch. While hacking was highly unlikely while within the game, information can be crucial. And yet... It was being extracted so easily. Recognizing this, he would tread on the ice carefully. "To each their own, I'd just rather not get killed the moment one does get to me." A simple answer before then tilting his head towards Hydra, who said he wanted some bread. "Oh? Is that so? I assume you know nothing of the "starter" bread thing either? I most certainly did not." For once, a little bit of information, but nothing crucial. Ooo, he didn't know that some players got the benefit of bread in the beginning. On the plus side, he was willing to go further. "Well, I dunno about bread, but I was planning to check the place out. You've been on the outside... Hydra, was it? Anything one needs to know?"

The conversation was confusing but Hydra didn't seem to mind it. Kotori chucked him a piece of bread. "Thanks and I suppose you are right although im not sure its possible to evade everything even when not in danger..." He mumbled biting into the baked good. It was warm although the smell of sulfur was slightly off putting. Hydra then listened to the other spear user as he questioned him on the bread "Starter bread? Huh." Hydra glanced at the bread and then between the two players. "Oh sorry I didn't realize these were your first rations." He said to Kotori before turning back to Sey. "I can't exactly remember what I started with." The brunette said laughing a little, "I think commoner's clothes and a basic weapon. Not entirely sure about the bread."

Hydra paused and then continued "Oh and the outside. Well there are a lot more volcanoes and some really good views. But just like here if you fall you are a dead man, or woman."

She nodded, staring at the ground below. Calling it rations is a little too generous. Pretty, pretty easy to get food and it wasn't even needed. Hunger wasn't a game feature, thankfully so. "That was pretty obvious, considering there's no walls or anything and I heard about players dying like this. Kinda wish I was back on floor 4, that's one of the nicer one's here. And floor 3? Wait, which one is the giant forest again?"

"I certainly know that it is not floor 4, that's a winter wonderland." And just thinking about it gave him chills. Well, despite the weird atmosphere, he was able to go visit a volcano, just as long as he did not fall of of course. Perhaps he would need a tour guide for that, but now was not the time to take a field trip. So far, if this person truly did kill someone, it did seem like they did not do it just for the heck of it. By now, a serial killer would have been bored and just started hacking away at their virtual flesh. "You seem like a rather nice being Hydra, despite what your gem says about you. Call me Sey." What they both get was his username. It was a nice start, considering the chat, and it was not really fair for the one being who was orange to have his name pulled out without anything to call them by. So as long as they kept things as civil at this, things should be fine.

"Thank you... Sey." Hydra said, bowing his head a little in appreciation. The conversation quickly moved onto the floors are there environments. "There is a jungle on floor 6, if that is the one you mean." The spearman said to Kotori with a smile on his face.  "And yes floor 4 is certainly a favorite of mine also." The thought of the cold breeze, fresh air and a pitch black night where it lightly snowed brought back several good memories for Hydra, they were quickly shattered however by the realization of the ninth floor. Awful smells, boiling hot weather and dense air thanks to all the ash. 

He glanced at Sey and then at Kotori although he still did not know her name. "We can go on a field trip if you both wish, im not sure how much longer I can stay here before i'm discovered." The young brunette said his voice sounding a little paranoid. He then held out his spear to Kotori. "If you wish to come I promise we won't venture far from the settlement however. That way if you think at any point im putting you in danger. You can call the guards." Normally Hydra would have offered his own spear, however this was a unique weapon he had a very strong bond to. Just as he did his familiar and he didn't want it accidently falling into a volcano. 

"Yeah, floor six was it. Don't know how I'd forgot that." She muttered, although her mind wasn't really focused on her memory and just in general of some memories on the fourth floor. Some were good.. others not so much. They felt so long ago but also felt as if had happened yesterday. Bit of an oxymoron, in a way? I don't even know it fits the definition for it, but whatever. 

She wasn't too sure about leaving the safe zone as well it was safe and she wasn't particularly strong. Although, if things went bad, she could remember her way back. "I don't really care so much really."

"And if we end up with any encounters, do you think you can tank? Gotta think of all scenarios first." Sey was not one to just rush into the battle. Mob here were able to eliminate him with two hits if they hit him really well. So he would rather not risk any more than what was already being put on the line. He knew that the guards were easy to call, but any area outside of the safe zone was a zone for monsters to maul them. Despite not getting a weapon from the orange-gemed man, he would still roll his wrist and look down at it before using his other hand to open up the inventory. Once again that weapon had been summoned to his hand as he would hold it up. A starter weapon, as pathetic as that was, was all that he had to work with unfortunately. "These are not regular monsters of course. Any player could fall to them if they are unlucky." To not give away that he was a bit lower in levels. He tried his best to conceal.

Hydra wasn't much of a tank, he was more suited to damaging the enemy at a moderate pace.  However at the same time he was sure a monster here and there wouldn't cause to much trouble if one were show up. At least as long as its stats were to match the floor. "I suppose I can take a few hits. But the area I know if safe, well aside from the bottomless pit of lava that will blow you into crystals if one were to slip." The spearman paused letting out a yawn, and then continued. "But otherwise you'll be fine."

The spearman then blanked out for a few moments staring off into space until an eruption somewhere off in the distance bought him back to. "Oh, if either of you want help with a quest I will happily lend a hand." After this Hydra  moved over to one side and sat down waiting for Kotori and Sey to make a decision.