[PP-F8] Usurping the Forest King <<Monkey King>> (Zandra)

Hydra was laid upon one of the giant tree branches, just outside Florenthia village on the eighth floor mulling over an important decision. Today he had come to face the 'Monkey King', however after hearing rumors of its power, the spearman was beginning to get second thoughts on facing it, and now found himself procrastinating. "Ahhh, maybe I should just head back." He mumbled to himself as he turned to look up at the forest canopy, his hands behind his head. Hydra hadn't really explored this floor all that much, not that he could. The orange cursor that rested above him meant it was difficult to enter the main settlements, and the forest floor was considered an area of high risk rumored to be swarming with monsters. Sighing to himself he slowly sat up and glanced around. The young adventurer had actually issued a request earlier, although there was doubt in his mind as to whether anyone would show up. Swinging his legs over the branch he then lowered himself as carefully as possible to the nearest platform, trying to avoid a fall to certain death. "I will wait a little bit longer, at least the sights are good." He spoke to himself in his usual light-hearted tone of voice.

@Zandra

I stretched my arms high into the air as I let out a long yawn. Today I would do something I haven’t done in quite awhile. Thou I used to do it a lot before. At least two times every week. Time that actually would have been better to spend on the frontlines and train to become stronger. But I needed those times off. And what I did was helping us beat the game more then if I would have been training alone. I was helping low levelled player to complete quests that was to difficult for them to solo. Cause now, myself I could solo every single quest. Thou it was boring so I usually going together with others anyway. Today I was going to help someone defeat the monkey king. When I arrived to the point on the eight floor where I should meet the lower levelled player, I couldn’t see anyone. ‘’Where is he?’’ I mumbled a few seconds before I spotted the young man I had met at the latest event. Walked up to him. ‘’Heya. You ready to move out?’’

Hydra was surprised to see someone had actually shown up, even more so when that person turned out to be someone on the front lines who had helped take down Rudolph. In fact, the young adventurer had recalled them not just from that event but from others as well. A summer beach party a few months earlier as well as at a time he had been gifted free items. "S... Sure." The spearman stuttered. Quickly returning to his senses he bowed his head slightly. "Pleased to meet you, my name is Hydra." Pausing he took in a slight breath and continued. "I am ready now, I really appreciate the help, thanks," Hydra said his general attitude returning to a calmed state and his voice returning to its usual light-hearted tone. The pair would now need to descend into the forest beneath them, where apparently the Monkey King resided. Hydra now felt a lot more confident in trying to take on this quest.

• 2 weeks later...

The immediately answered that he could leaved immediately. Then he introduced himself as Hydra. My smile changed to a thinking look and I scratched myself on the chin. ‘’Hydra you say.’’ I thougth for a few seconds before I continued. ‘’I do recognize that name. Have we met before the event? I’m so sorry, but I’ve met a lot of different persons, they gets mixed up. It’s not personal at all. I have never been having the best ‘face-memory’ either.’’ I continued with a look like you hope the person you talks to wont be offended, sad or something like that when hearing what you say’s.

As listening to his answer I answered his other question. ‘’Yeah we can head out. Thou I just wanna ask you something Hydra. Why have you decided to do this quest? Like, its pretty though and are you certain you are ready for it?’’ I asked with a caring look.

Hydra wasn't surprised that Zandra didn't recall him too much, and of course, he didn't mind either. It was easy to remember a front-liner, after all, they were spearheading the assault out of here. Heroes of Sword art online. Whereas people like Hydra were trying to make their way up so it would make sense he would be less well known. "No worries, my own memory is a little hazy but I believe the first time was during a store give away and the second was during a summer beach party, I don't recall is speaking too much," Hydra responded in a friendly accent and in his usual light-hearted tone of voice. 

Zandra moved on to ask him if he was ready. Pausing the brunette thought for a moment. "It's true if I tried to solo this there would be a high possibility I would die. With someone here to help me though it would reduce that chance and at the same time..." Hydra looked down at the palm of his hand and clenched it slightly. "If I don't challenge myself, how will I be able to help people. I need to become more skillful." He said determinedly. Looking back up he laughed, "Don't worry. If I die, I won't blame it on you." 

• 2 weeks later...

I scratched my chin and looked like I was thinking. ‘’On a potion giveaway you say? Yeah, I think I remember you…’’ Thou, I still couldn’t remember him being there, but it dosent really matter, hopefully it would give him more confidence to be recognised by me. ‘’…and about that beach-party, a lot of stuffs happened, and to be honest, I don’t remember much from that. If we say, my head hurted the day after, and you get what I mean right?’’ I said and winked at Hydra.

I did saw myself in this young man, he wanted to keep going and engage in hard challenge. But still, of course, he didn’t wanted to die. As this wasn’t my first time helping a newer player, I started explaining my plan I’ve used and worked out from many different improvements. ‘’We can make this a challenge for you. You start the figth and I stays in the background. When you reaching higher aggro, I use my howl to increase my own, but not as high as yours. Then you keep fighting it, but as soon as its necessary, I jumps in and either kill it or takes its aggro. You just going to have to say the word. Of course you will still get the rewards. But the choise is yours. I can start fight it from the start as well if you wants. But then it wont be a challenge for you.’’ I explained and waited for Hydra to respond to my question, a friendly and relaxed smile on my lips.

Hydra chuckled to himself as Zandra mentioned the 'beach party', he must have been one of the few players who had left with a clear head after it all. "Yeah, I get what you mean." He finally managed to respond, whilst wiping a tear of laughter away from his eye. The pair moved swiftly on to discuss tactics, the plan sounded risky at first but the more Hydra thought about it, the more contempt he felt. "I will need to put myself out there, so I'm fine with this." His voice had a subtle hint of determination behind it, truth be told the spearman hadn't looked all that much into the strength of this quest boss. Yet he still felt they'd be able to take it rather easily.

As the two walked to the <Monkey King's> spawning location Hydra couldn't help but question in his mind why Zandra of all people, one of the strongest frontliners would come to help. Whilst he really appreciated the aid, it did make him ponder. "I wonder if I can thank her in any way for this." Scratching his head he tried to think of something he could give away. Although the spearman wasn't sure he had anything that the berserk healer didn't already have a more powerful version of. Sighing slightly he flicked through his inventory to see if there was anything at all of value that he could potentially give away.

I nodded, satisfied with the answer. He wanted to have this to be a challenge to him. We got closer and closer to the spawning area of the boss in silence. I guessed he wants to prepare himself for the challenge. I don’t remember the stats of the boss that good, but it is going to be a challenge to solo it. So I placed a hand on his shulder. ‘’Hydra.’’ I started, looking in his eyes. ‘’Everything going to be fine. You’re totally safe. There is no way at all you gonna die. As soon as its needed, if it’s going to be needed, I will take his agro upon myself. Remember that. Don’t be afraid and lose your nerves about the risk of dying.’’ I took a few seconds pause. ‘’Because Hydra, youre not going to die today.’’ I finished off, giving him a friendly smile before turning towards where the monkey king will be soon. ‘’He will spawn there.’’ I pointed. ‘’Whenever you feel ready.’’

Hydra listened to Zandra's advice, Zandra seemed like a kind-hearted person which surprised the spearman a little. He always expected those fighting on the front lines to be more hard-headed and less merciful to the lower leveled players. Meeting the berserk healer today had quelled those suspicions as mere rumors. "Thank you," Hydra responded sincerely, he really appreciated the advice. Turning back he faced the spawning spot and then took a step forward. For a moment an eerie silence hung. "Perhaps someone has killed it recently?" The brunette pondered a little confused. Deciding to take another step forward he ensured he had the usual gear on, he also prepared his <charge> skill despite nothing being in sight, the two were susceptible to an ambush in this current location.

His prediction was correct, not only that but he knew exactly where the boss was coming from. Hydra shot forward dodging a huge hairy fist which crashed into the ground from above, sending a large shockwave and rocks the size of boulders flying in all directions. Monkeys were expert climbers so it made sense for it to start with an aerial attack. Spinning back around Hydra's charge triggered and he went flying at the giant ape stabbing it over and over again in its belly. Crystals flew in all directions but it was only enough to wound it. "Hmm." He slid backward and took in a breath of air, Zandra was right, if he kept at this pace then he should come out of this unscathed.

ID# 77343 results:

Battle: 9+3 (hit +1 DMG)

Rank 2 Charge (+2 DMG)

SA: Merciless Flurry (12x1) = (13+3)x12 = 192 - 50 = 142 Damage to Monkey King

MOB: 3 (miss)

Monkey King - 108/250 | 50 MIT | 240 Damage | Special Ability: <Rock Throw> MD of 9 or 10 will AOE party and stun for 120 DMG

[H:2] Hydra - 715/715 | 66 MIT | 13 Damage | 3 Accuracy

[H:0] Zandra - 

Edited by Hydra

As Ive told him the spawning place of the boss, I turned around to walk out of the monkeys agro zone. After all, this wasn’t my battle. I had already done it and it wasn’t really a challenge to me anymore. Ive encountered creatures being way stronger then this. Thou I didn’t said anything of that to Hydra. I sat down on a rock not that far away from the fight to still be able to spot the battle start. Right in that moment, the ground shaked as a giant gorilla fell down from the sky above them. I rose my eyebrows when I saw the younf man attack. He had wanted me to accompany him for safety. Thou I didn’t saw any reason too. In only one strike, he had reduced the monkey to less then half health, as well as dodged away from the counterattack. ‘’that’s how you do it Hydra, I don’t see any reason for me to be here.’’ I said with a smile.

Hydra truly hadn't expected his first hit to do so much, he would have to apologize to Zandra later for dragging her all the way out here. Still, it was nice to have someone watching his back, as he turned around to nod, but the beast caught him off guard. Rather, the ape picked up a boulder that looked to be the size of a tree and launched it directly at the spearman. According to the information, the ability was an area of effect and suppose to strike the whole party, as Zandra hadn't participated in combat yet Hydra was unsure whether she would be affected. In any case now wasn't the time to be thinking on that, surging forward he struck out again with <<merciless flurry>> and bringing the monkey king down to a slither of health. "Really..." Hydra said sarcastically as the large stone fell from the sky and crushed him. Thanks to his armor he should have mitigated most of the damage, it left him more than dazed, though, unfortunately allowing the ape a free attack the following turn.

ID# 78007 results:

Battle: 3+3 (hit)

SA: Merciless Flurry (12x1) = 12x13 = 106 Damage against <Monkey King>

MOB: 9 (hit)

Rock Throw: 120-66 = 54 Damage to Hydra + Stun

Monkey King - 2/250 | 50 MIT | 240 Damage | Special Ability: <Rock Throw> MD of 9 or 10 will AOE party and stun for 120 DMG

[H:3] Hydra - 661/715 | 66 MIT | 13 Damage | 3 Accuracy | 45/70 Energy

Edited by Hydra

I watched from a distance how Hydra fought the monkey king. His first attack really damaged the king a lot. I was almost certain that this second attack would reduce his health all the way down to zero. I took one step forward to congratulate him to the victory. Thou I stopped as I saw the gorilla was still there. There was a small tiny piece of health left. It was barely even visible, but it was still there. But that wasn’t all. The moneky had also counter attacked and throwed a huge boulder at Hydra. I was just gonna jump in and join the fight to protect him. But then I saw his healthbar. It had barely reduced. Must be less then ten percent. So I took a step back to be sure to not interrupt the fight. Sadly he also got stunned, but it didn’t mattered, I was having my axe ready and if it came to that, my charge skill was ready to be activated any moment now.

Hydra lay flat on his back, staring up at the forest cover for a brief moment. Various shards of rock and rubble lingered around him, from the boulder that had just been smashed over his head, only a few seconds to all burst into crystals. It seemed Zandra had made no move yet, suggesting Hydra was still in the all clear. Watching the stun timer run down the spearman quickly and rather elegantly rolled over to his left as a huge monkey sized paw came thundering down only a moment later. "That would have hurt." He mumbled to himself staggering up onto his feet and brushing off the dust. The Monkey King seemed even more enraged at the fact that he was still standing and uprooted a nearby tree trunk which it now began lifting wildly in the air. "Great." All Hydra needed to do now was land a hit, he turned his head to Zandra who was still sat on a rock she seemed to be analyzing the situation from what he could tell. "Alright time to end this." Hydra continued to whisper to himself, turning back towards the field boss and readying his <<Merciless Flurry>>.

ID# 78291 results:

Battle: 7 [Negated due to Stun]

MOB: 2 (Miss)

Monkey King - 2/250 | 50 MIT | 240 Damage | Special Ability: <Rock Throw> MD of 9 or 10 will AOE party and stun for 120 DMG

[H:3] Hydra - 661/715 | 66 MIT | 13 Damage | 3 Accuracy | 45/70 Energy

My eyebrows frowned as I saw my teammate laying on the ground motionless. To be struck by a stun effect was never fun. Myself to not be able to do anything was really not a fun thing. If I at least could put my hands on something with paralyze immunity. That would make me a much harder opponent for a specific dagger user I know pretty good that have a dagger with that ability. I just remembered that duel when he kept me paralyzed for several rounds. It was only due to my healing capabilities I was able to defeat him. Probably none had thougth about using the support skill in pvp. Thou it would be much better to invest those skill points in something else if aiming for a pvp-build. But I did wanted to be a supportive character, and it took pretty short time for me max it out. But that was thougths to think about another time. I looked back at the fight. Hydra wasn’t even close to danger, so stayed at the rock to let him finish the battle.

Hydra triggered his merciless flurry. It was slight 'overkill' but it would be best to kill this thing now before it tried any other cheap tricks. The blade only managed to pierce it four times before the Monkey King exploded into several crystal shards and blowing Hydra back a few feet. "Thank goodness that's over." He let out a slight sigh and glanced towards his energy. It had depleted just under half which he supposed was good enough for this battle, although it was annoying that he didn't get that extra two points of damage off earlier. "Huh? Oh, I forgot." The spearman walked over and collected the <<Monkey Agility>> potion which had dropped after killing the boss. "This will be useful..." Storing it into his inventory he turned around and headed back to Zandra. "Sorry about all that, I didn't realize it would be so easy." He bowed his head, he felt a little guilty having made her wait through the whole thing and drag her out here in the top. "Is there some way I can repay you?"

ID# 78631 results:

Battle: 8 (hit)

Merciless Flurry (12x1) = 13x12 = 156-50 = 106 Damage, Monkey King Slain.

MOB: 5 (miss)

Monkey King - 0/250 | 50 MIT | 240 Damage | Special Ability: <Rock Throw> MD of 9 or 10 will AOE party and stun for 120 DMG

[H:3] Hydra - 661/715 | 66 MIT | 13 Damage | 3 Accuracy | 33/70 Energy

@Zandra

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the fight as Hydra made quick work of the last HP the monkey king had left. As he approached me after gathering the potion reward I glanced at his current state. Almost full health and just under half energy left. ‘’Well that went smooth.’’ I said just before he started talking.’’Hehe, no worries. It was fun watching someone lower leveled then me to take care of some big thingie.’’ No it wasn’t, to just stand back and spectate a battle wasn’t something I liked. But when I saw his feeling I couldn’t put that fact on him. Then he asked me if there was some way to repay me. ‘’Repay… me?’’ I asked and looked at him curiously. To have someone wanted to give something in return like this, just for dragging me to watch a fight between a player and a quest boss. I waved with the hand like pushing away an irritating fly. ‘’No Im fin…’’ I froze with my hand in the air as I remembered something. ‘’Or wait, there might be something. You remember that event this Christmas? The event where there was a special snowflake as reward? If I remembered right everyone got one and Ive already used mine on my weapon. Thou its not very long until we reach next tier, and then I need two more. One for my armour and one for my weapon. If you don’t have any need of your that would be a nice repayment.’’ I took a few seconds pause. ‘’Well, I can give you some col as well, since it’s a very valuable snowflake.

"Haha and thanks, and a snowflake? Oh, you mean this." Hydra scrolled through his inventory withdrawing the item from the Christmas event. Originally he had planned to use it on Lyrica's fang but he had no need of it now, although the prices for these things were going high on the black market Zandra was more than deserving of this item. "Here, it's all yours." Hydra smiled opening up a trade menu and putting the snowflake up for an offer. It would be a while before he would get another unique, in fact, he might never get one. A frontliner could make more use of this than he could. "Col? Oh, I suppose I could use some but only if you're certain." Hydra had about 20'000 right now, most of it which he was planning to donate to the guild. Even a little would help although he felt a little guilty making Zandra pay for it. This snowflake supposedly had a value of in the 10'000's though, whatever Zandra offered he would take more than willingly. 

I got a little surprised when Hydra just gave me the snowflake which seemed to be of no hesitation. Thou I gladly took it and smiled when I looked at it. Now I was one step closer to have tier three equipments. I wouldn’t think about getting snowflakes to tier it up to tier four just yet. Probably there will be another event for us to get some more. And then I would be able to pay an even higher price then now. My fingers swiped some moves thru the air Ive done so many times by now that I probably would have been able to do it in my sleep. I pressed on five numbers and then the send button before putting the snowflake in my own inventory. ‘’I hope this is enough.’’ I said to him with a smile on my lips. Hoping he wouldn’t think the amount I sent him was to low.

-40,000 col

+Snowflake x1

Hydra felt his heart nearly exploding at the sight of 40'000 col, he felt as though he had ripped Zandra off after coming all the way out here to help him. Still he supposed she seemed fine with it, "Are all frontliners this rich?" He thought to himself, the most he had ever reached was 25'000, this was practically doubled. Once the trade had been completed Hydra bowed his head and thanked Zandra once more for attending his attack against the Monkey King as well as for the large amount of col, "This is more than enough, thank you." He said sincerely. The Monkey King was another Boss of his check list, yet he understood it would be a long while before he could reach the frontlines. "I need to train a lot more." He mumbled to himself glancing down at the palm of his hand. There were a few quests that were probably past his level, to start with them and get them done was perhaps the smartest idea. Then he could really focus on the bigger enemies. 

+40'000 col

-1 Snowflake

• 1 month later...

It seemed the amount I had offered was high enough for him. I remembered when me myself was at his level. Back then this would be a fortune. Im not sure if anyone had such a wealth as me back then. Since lately it have become much easier to get col. The admins even seemed desperate ti find col-sinks. That was probably because of me andTakao. Since Takao Ive heard sat on a smaller fortune as well. But most important at the moment was that I now had asnother snowflake. Now I would be able to keep armour or weapons status updated when tier three got released. This made me so much excited. ‘’Well, quest is done and this transaction have been complete. What about splitting up now. Don’t want to be rude but I have a few stuffs I have to do today. I can follow you back to the safe zone if you want. But after seeing this fight, I think that’s not necessary actually.’’ I said with friendly a smile on my face.