[PP-F1] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> [What is a Friend?] [Complete]

Percival was taking his morning stroll in the Town of Beginnings. "It's a beautiful day today." He said quietly to himself, staring at the clouds above him. He was taking his morning stroll trying to listen in on good training locations, quests, and other things of the sort from the other players around the area. While he was walking around, he heard about a certain NPC in the area that was helping new players with the fundamentals of SAO. Granted that he was a new player, he decided to seek out this NPC straight away.

He walked upon a small house he believed the NPC resided in. He began to walk up to the door and noticed the door was open. He stopped in the door frame and knocked on the door. "Hello? Anyone here?"

"Hmmm?" Said an old man turning around the corner of a close wall. "Oh! Hello there!" The man made his way over to me and with a smile "You look like you are a new fellow around here!".

"I take it your the NPC then huh?" I said to the elder standing in front of me. "My name is Percival, and who might you be?"

"My name is Zackariah. If I could borrow a moment of your time; I am in need of some assistance." He said to Percival sitting down in a nearby chair. "I need some help with gathering some materials for my stock." He says lifting his arm in the air, displaying the array of supplies along the wall. "I can make it worth your while, if you are concerned about a reward."

I pondered the quest given to me by Zackariah for a moment. "Eh, why not. Not like I have anything better to do." He thought to himself. "I understand, and I am willing to help. What is it you need me to gather?" I said to Zakariah with a questioned look.

"Well, I am going to need 5 Red Capped Mushrooms, and once you finished with that I should have the next task ready for you." Zakariah said standing up from his chair. "However, I would suggest you bring a friend along if you got one. This should help just in case something bad where to happen on the trip." Zakariah said crossing his arms.

This stabbed Percival right in the heart. "I can't afford, nor do I have friends..." Just as that thought crossed his mind, he remembered the run in with the group outside of the gate recently. The first player that sent him a request looked like he could hold his own, however the other one might actually gain benefit from doing this quest. Bongartz was the name?

He pulled up his friends list and scrolled to Bongartz and sent a message "It's Percy. Thought you might want to take a look at a quest. Meet me at said location in the Town of Beginnings." With that he sent the message to Bongartz.

Edited by Percival
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wake up stretching, thinking what I wanted to do today.

*Yesterday was well worth my time, those fights were awesome. I did get a material for a craft, but I need to actually get one first. I'm thinking Merchant to pair with my Treasure Hunting, but where would I get that quest?*

As I'm lost in thought, I get a notification from my inbox, someone sent me a message? I quickly open up my menu to see what it was, and it's from Percy? He wants to do a quest with me? I quickly reply to his message, saying I'll be right there and thanks for the invite. I make sure I have my full gear equipped and start running to the Co-ordinates that Percy sent me, finally appearing before a small house, where Percy was waiting outside.

"Hey, Percy, sorry it took so long. I was on the other side of town, and in my rush, made a wrong turn a bit back."

Upon looking at him, I notice his warhammer looks significantly different than it did before, and it draws my attention.

"Nice new weapon, seems you've been quite busy."

I watched as the familiar face drew closer to my location, and sure enough it was Bongartz. "He looks stronger than before" Percival thought to himself as Bongartz drew ever closer. With a shrug, Percival walked over to Bognartz "Hey Bongartz. Sorry to disturb your day, but thought you might be interested in doing a quest." I pointed with my thumb to the house behind me, "We receive the quest from the old man in the house there. It's an easy materials gather quest, so this should be pretty simple."

When Bognartz mentioned the war hammer I felt a little proud that it was noticed. It was his first real success after all. "This here is Alakaslam. Managed to smith it up just a couple days ago." Patting the war hammer on my side. "Indeed I have been quite busy. Seems to me that you have as well." Giving Bongartz a small nod.

I walked over to the doorway and motioned for Bongartz to join me inside "Come, let's get this quest started shall we?".

When Percy says the name of his new warhammer, I start cracking up;

"Alakaslam? You enjoy puns, don't you?"

I follow Percy inside the little house, looking around all the materials upon the shelves.

"Anyway, yea, went out training with another player, got a Tier One crafting material, just need to figure out how I want to use it. I'm thinking about becoming a Merchant, but haven't really decided yet. As for my day, I was thinking about coming here anyway, heard it's a good quest to get started, learn some of the basics."

As I gaze around, I see an old man come around a corner, who seems to recognize Percy, then turns to me;

"Ahh, hello again. Is this a friend of yours, come to assist you? My name is Zackariah, and, as I'm sure Percival told you, I am running low on materials. If you two could get me 5 Red Capped Mushrooms each, I could make it worth your time."

As the pop-up appears asking if I want to accept, I do so smiling without hesitation.

"Of course I'll help, it'll be my pleasure. We'll be back soon with the mushrooms."

With that, I nod to Percy, and turn to the door, holding it open for Percy to lead the way.

I step inside with Bongartz, and I see Zackariah come around the corner. He speaks with Bongartz for a bit, and a little menu pops up for us both. "This is very weird. Doing a quest with someone else." Percival thought to himself. He pressed the accept button, and proceed out the door that Bongartz was nicely holding open for him.

Outside the house I turn to Bongartz "So we got to collect 5 Red Capped Mushrooms each huh. Let's hope this does not go like my last gather quest." Shuddering at the thought. Trying to push the thought away I turn to Bongartz and say "You want to be a merchant huh? That will be a great profession to pursue, and quite useful indeed." Resting my hand on my war hammer "I chose the blacksmith route myself, so maybe we might do business later, once you get that all started."

"Now about the quest." I say with a more serious tone. "We should probably make our way to the nearby forest. I think that will prove the best results to try to find these mushrooms." 

I follow Percy outside, closing the door behind us.

"Doesn't seem to bad, though I'm curious about your last gather quest. But at least that helps explain the warhammer, doesn't really look like a cheap weapon, so I was curious how you got it. But yes, the forest seems the best bet for some mushrooms, maybe we'll even find a wolf or two. Kinda wanna see how you fight."

I start to follow you through the town, to the gates, where I smile at the now empty threshold where we met.

"Funny how places can sometimes be full of people, or completely empty, depending on the time. At any rate, we should try to find the mushrooms quickly, I wouldn't want to spend an entire day looking for them."

As we continue the path to the forest, I take small glances around, to see if there's a creature, or by chance, a random mushroom before the forest, but without any luck.

*Aw well, sooner or later we'll be in combat together. I wanna see what that warhammer of his can do. That pun though.*

Upon the thoughts, I start to lightly chuckle, that name won't be forgotten anytime soon, and I plan on getting some jokes in about it eventually.

"What is his obsession with fighting?" Percival thought to himself, rolling his eyes. "Eventually we may run into a fight, however I don't think that is something we need to look forward to." I say to Bongartz in a stern tone. "We are going for the mushrooms and nothing more." He turned to begin his way along with Bongartz to the forest. 

As they passed the threshold of the gate, Percival could not help but think to himself "That random group of people is what got me in this mess in the first place. Only reason why I have you with me is because it raises my chances of success on this quest."

Percival continued the trail to the forest, and when once they arrived began to search the immediate area for the mushrooms.

Spoiler

ID: 74779

LD: 1

Looking around the immediate area of the forest did not prove fruitful to him sadly. "I don't see any of those mushrooms around. Maybe we should try to go a little deeper?" I turn to look at Bongartz. "If anything one of us could climb one of these trees to see if anything might be nearby."

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

Loot: 11 (Success)

I nod to Percy, realizing my hope for a fight was not needed this time.

"My apologies, still kinda running high from my fights the other day. Though, I will admit I want to see that warhammer of yours in action, there will always be another day. Let's hope for an easy and relaxing gathering quest."

*There's no need to fight everything. That boar should have told you that you can't win them all, either. Things played out well, but it could have been a very different situation.*

"I suppose you're right, if there's nothing here. If it was that easy, it wouldn't be a quest."

I gaze around the area as well, and over by a little clump of rocks I happen to see a small red sliver.

"Wait, over there by the rocks, there's some red. Perhaps one of the mushrooms?"

I run over to the rocks, and upon a re-examination of them, I see a Red Capped Mushroom, one of the quest items we need. 

"Ha-ha, score! That's one down, and 9 more to find. Let's hope we can do this quickly, we shouldn't be here for too long. The forest is home to some big bads, that I wouldn't want to try to fight, if it can be avoided."

Edited by Bongartz

"Nice job." I say to Bongartz, placing my hand on his shoulder. I walk a short distance away from him to take a quick survey of the immediate area. "When there is one mushroom, usually means more."

Spoiler

ID: 74782

LD: 20

I saw a red tone underneath one of the nearby trees, "Maybe that could be one?". As I drew closer to the tree it became clear that it was indeed one of the mushrooms. As I picked it from the ground I shouted over my shoulder to Bongartz "Got another one over here. I think we found a good spot. We should try hunting around here a little more before heading deeper into the forest." 

I made my way back over to Bongartz, and with a sigh "This is definitely going better than my last quest that's for sure. Maybe we will be finished by this afternoon if we are lucky." I look over to Bongartz with a smile. 

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

LD: 20 (Success)

I turn around, and by a tree not even 20 paces away, was yet another mushroom, which I easily make my way over to pick up.

"Good area indeed. Now, we've got 3 of the 10 we need total, we might just finish this before either one of us thought. The entrance area of the forest seems to hide them the most, which is good for us. I really don't want to go deeper into the forest, just the two of us."

I continue to look around, hoping to see more red mushrooms nearby, without needing to go deeper.

*I don't know Percy well, but we both are relatively new, and Ourian was a more experienced fighter than the both of us. If he and I together had a hard time with a Boar, some of the other creatures of the forest would take down the two of us without too much an issue.*

I shake my head, to try to shake off the pessimistic thoughts, for they would serve us no good. Bad thoughts tend to lead to bad actions, and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

Edited by Bongartz

I watched as Bongartz grabbed yet another mushroom for the quest, "Nice catch.". I took a quick look around the immediate area to see if any more mushrooms lied about.

Spoiler

ID: 74786

LD: 10

Sadly it didn't appear any were around. "I think we dried up the area Bongartz. Let's stick to the edge of the forest here, but move forward a bit. Hopefully we can find another good patch like this one." He knew that it would be too risky for them to go deeper into the woods. He eyed his war hammer on his side, "Even with you I don't think we could last very long". If push came to shove, however, he will protect Bongartz with his life. He will not have anyone die on him, let alone a....friend? He chuckled a little at this thought, "Obediah, you are just asking to get hurt aren't you.". Shaking his head, "We need to be careful going forward. Keep your guard up."

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

LD: 1 (Fail)

As I glance around, hoping for another glimmer of red, and out of the corner of my eye, I see something and go to get it, but to my dismay it was only a flower.

*Dang, I got excited for nothing. Aw well, I guess I'll just chalk it up to bad luck.*

"Sorry, I saw red, but it was only a flower. Seems going in a bit is unavoidable now."

I walk back over to Percy as he mentions needing to be careful, and nod grimly.

"Unfortunately, I must agree, I was hoping we wouldn't need to go in much at all, but it seems we must. Let's try not to go in too far, and avoid the lake. Just trust me on that."

As I go to turn around again to walk the path, I was lost in thought and walked into a tree, wincing.

"Need to stop thinking so much, pay me no mind. Let's just continue, shall we?"

Edited by Bongartz

"The lake huh? I will take the necessary precautions to avoid it. Thank you." I mention to him with a slight nod. He turned away from me to go in the direction with which we decided to search for more materials, but as he began to walk forward he ran straight into a...tree. I stood there for a moment, dumbfounded at the lack there of of perception. "You uhhh, ok there?" I said looking at him with a smirk. Although, if he does not continue to pay attention, we will have a serious problem. In a place where any little mistake can be your last, something as simple as not paying attention to your surroundings can get you, or worse your team, killed.

"Sure. Let's continue." I say shaking my head. After a few minutes of walking, I decided try to look around the area for one of those mushrooms.

Spoiler

ID: 74842

LD: 3

Sadly it didn't seem any of the mushrooms were around. "I don't see anything near. Try checking over there" I said to Bongartz, pointing to the clearing nearby. 

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

# 74846

Following where Percy pointed, I check out the clearing but I don't even see a sliver red.

*I need to pay attention, he's probably now re-thinking his offer to work with me, and he may not want to again, if I keep up falling short of even a general perception of my surroundings.*

"No luck over here, this might just be harder than anticipated. Then again, if it were truly easy, it wouldn't be much a quest, even a beginner one. I'll climb the tree here, maybe see them farther out with a bit of height advantage."

With that, I proceed to climb the tree, hoping that I'll be able to see even hints of red out in the nearby forest, without needing to go much farther into the forest. Unfortunately, however, if there are any mushrooms in the immediate area, they are too small to see from the top of the tree, so I climb back down.

"I can't see any from up there, so the mushrooms are either too small for me to pick out, or there are no more in the vicinity."

Edited by Bongartz

I walk over to the tree that Bongartz decided to clinb, "I would be careful up there if I was you!" I shouted up to Bongartz. "It's not fun taking the express route! Trust me on that!" 

I stepped away from the tree to take a look around the heavily thicketed areas nearby. "It might not be out in the open like it was at the entrance. They could be hidden in all this underbrush." Percival thought to himself.

Spoiler

ID: 74849

LD: 17

It was hard trying to see through the tick underbrush, so Percival was heavily relying on touch. He patted the forest floor, when he patted something squishy. "Could this be one?" he thought to himself feeling the foreign object. He grabbed the object, and as he lifted it from the brush he saw the familiar red tone. "I got one over here!" I held the mushroom in the air to Bongartz. "I am going to keep trying to search around here for a bit." I said continuing the search.

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

# 74854

LD: 13 (Success)

As I land back on the ground, the wind blew and revealed a speck of red next to the tree. Upon investigation, it was another Red Capped Mushroom! I hold it up so Percy can see that I found another one.

"Hey, found my number 3. That makes 5 in total, just another set to go then. I guess this area seems to be a decent one as well, just a little hidden from sight. This is gonna be interesting, if they all are hidden decently well."

I glance around and see all the overgrowth in the area, realizing if the mushrooms are hidden, it'll be a total pain to find one unless we reach through all the underbrush.

"I would ask if cutting some of this would make it easier, but at the same time, I don't want to accidentally hit and lose a mushroom, so the old-fashioned way it looks like it has to be."

Edited by Bongartz

"Nice job there Bongartz. Just a little more to go." I said over my shoulder, as I searched for more mushrooms.

Spoiler

ID: 74859

LD: 7

He continued to search the bush, but it seemed he got everything he could have from his current area. "I think I cleaned my area out. I'm going to head a little further in." I said, looking over to Bongartz. "I won't be far, so if you need anything just yell. I will also do the same." I turned to Bongartz with a more serious tone "Do NOT take on any monsters by yourself." With that I turned from Bongartz, and walked a few yards into the thick brush. "I better find something over here. I'm not one for taking risks like this. I trust Bongartz, I think, but I am not going to put him into danger for my sake." He thought to himself, pushing the bushes aside. I'm not going to call for him if I run into trouble...

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

# 74866

LD: 6

I nod to Percy and smile lightly at his no fighting alone comment;

"Do I look like I want to try to solo a fight in here?" Wait, actually, don't answer that, stupid question." I joke as I look around the area.

However, as I reach through some of the underbrush, I can't seem to find any of the red mushrooms, though I did see some gray capped ones.

*I need 2 more mushrooms, while Percy needs 3 more. I wonder how gathering quests work in here, if one of us gets all 5 mushrooms, could we help the other player find more?*

"Hey, do you know if one of us finds all 5 of our mushrooms, could we still help the other find theirs? Though this area seems out of mushrooms as well, I'll stay here and look a little longer, they just may be well hidden."

I brush some more of the overgrowth to the side, but continue to see only gray and white mushrooms.

Edited by Bongartz

While I was making my way through the think brush I heard Bongartz words about the gathering quest, and he did prove an interesting point. If one player were to fulfill his end of the quest but the other didn't, then the other would have to wait before the other completed his end of the quest. "That's a good point Bongartz, however, let's worry about that if we get to that point." 

I made my way to a clearing just past the bushes, and decided to try to find one of the mushrooms here.

Spoiler

ID: 74879

Taking a look around the immediate area didn't prove anything fruitful. "I am probably going to have to search a little harder. It really does look like these are not going to be out in the open like before." Percival says to himself. He makes his way over to a group of bushes nearby, and begins to search the underbelly of the bushes.

Edited by Percival
Spoiler

# 74881

LD: 8

"Good point, while there's no need to worry about it just yet, we shouldn't."

While searching this area, I find only white and gray mushrooms, no more of the red ones.

"I think we got all the Red Mushrooms here in this area, perhaps we should move to another location."

I shake my head, hoping we find the last of the mushrooms without needing to venture very far into the woods.

*As long as we can avoid the lake, we should be fine from most creatures here, and these mushrooms are hidden, but can be found semi easily at least.*

"At any rate, we should be able to finish this quest soon, we're already half-way done, and we still have most of the day to finish this last little bit, then return to town. Should be a piece of cake."

I walk a little farther into the woods, over to Percy's right about 20 paces, to continue looking for the red capped mushrooms.

Edited by Bongartz