F1-PP. Quest: Earning a Living

Midi.png

Katherine Zekk thought that she'd be entering a fun new world where she could live out a fantasy. The reality was far from pleasant. She'd been dropped into a game of death and murder, where any wrong move could result in death. She hadn't taken it well at first, refusing to believe the reality of what she was facing. However, slowly, the truth dawned on her and she had no choice but to accept it. She was trapped here until the game was finished.

"Very well, I don't have a choice" she muttered to herself as she dragged herself out, and back into the town of beginners. She returned to the first place she knew, the large circular center. She allowed herself to take a deep breath, and closed her eyes. She needed to think. She needed...income. To generate income was the first step in establishing herself. Although the next question was how, and one Katherine, better known as 'Eatos', couldnt' answer. So she walked around the town, planning on hunting for that answer.

However, the girls hunt died as soon as it begun. She was walking past each stall, humming to herself, and her mind wandered away. The daydreaming 20 year old collage student walked the streets of the town of beginners, not watching where she stepped.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Ah what a beautiful day." Mist said raising her head up to the sky and taking a deep breath of air in. As per usual she was doing her daily routine, that being walking aimlessly around the Town of Beginnings and disturbing others with her overly curious nature. The young spear-woman had happened to just pass the market, various objects and intriguing vials of potions had caught her eye. Stuff she couldn't help but take a look at, of course the brunette couldn't afford any of it either. "Oh... im so hungry." Mist whined as she felt her stomach growling. A scent of freshly baked food wafted through the air taunting he mind even further. As Mist continued down the street with a grumpy look on her face until she heard a the humming of a tune. "Huh?" Turning around the spear-woman caught site of another girl with blue hair, Mist didn't recognize her but she looked to be of a similar age, "I wonder if she could help me?". Mist casually began strolling behind the player, listening to her humming. Swaying her head back and forth to the tune she couldn't help but giggle to herself along the way.

"A new world to explore, a new life" Had been Sky's words as he turned on SAO, loading into the game. He had spent his entire life just trying to survive, and now, this was his chance of getting a break. The moment he loaded in, he quickly made his character, going with his usual persona of 'Stryder'. He watched as he loaded in, giving a huge shout of joy.

At least, that had been his attitude. Now, he was trapped in a death game. He had to fight to survive once more, but in this world, failing actually meant death, not just some stupid bruises. He had stayed in the town of beginnings, just sitting down in a corner, scared and frightened. He was used to fighting, but... he had never been in a fight to the death, which was all this was now. All around him were others adjusting, though some were even more lost them him. Makes sense, they had never really needed to fight. He sighed, getting up and starting to walk around, suddenly filled with Determination. He opened his skill list, choosing his skill.

He needed to learn how to fight, he needed to learn how to survive. He was used to fighting and putting his life on the line, even though they were bruises he understood that if pushed that could have been worse. Now their were others having to deal with this, people that had others to go back to. He didn't, but he wished he did, and he would fight for them. He started to walk around town, sitting down by a fountain, thinking about how to find someone to teach him how to play SAO.

She continued her walking through the marketplace, humming a soft tune to herself and completely oblivious to the trialing player she'd managed to pick up on her walking route. This continued through the market where Eatos didn't look at the shops around her, her amber eyes staring up into the sky as her body walked on auto-pilot, her mind with away with the fairies.

This daydreaming was cut short, as was her humming, when she nearly walked into a wall. The girl shook her head, frustrated at herself for being so whimsical sometimes. She needed to get her new life in order, not play around with the fairies in her mind. She looked around, eyeing the circular spawning room. Her eyes moved across the rooftops, and the ironcy set in for her. This place could have been beautiful had it not been plagued by death. As she looked around, she finally spotted the player who had been following her.

She looked down, if only slightly, at the new girl. 'Has she been...trialing me? Why' was the first thought that crossed her mind.

"Hello, I-is there something you need...?" She was rather perplexed but the revelation that she had been followed, but the girl looked harmless enough. Enough for her not to even rest a hand on the Rapier blade that sat on her hip, after all, she was in the town on beginners and trapped in a death game. Shouldn't people help each other out?

Mist continued to trail the girl, gracefully walking a few meters behind, whilst taking the time to perceive her surroundings. Her eyes moved from left to right between all the different stalls as they walked through the market district. "I wonder if the items here ever get updated?" She pondered to herself happily. As time passed it wasn't long before the player she was trailing nearly walked face first into a wall. "Ooh" Mist grabbed her own wrist nervously, worrying she couldn't stop the player. Luckily the girl just managed to become aware of her surroundings before injuring herself. At that point, the rapier user would turn around and finally see Mist. At first, the spearwoman stood there awkwardly, she had only trailed her in the first place because she got distracted by the humming of a tune. However, even Mist knew that was quite a weird excuse to have stalked someone for a few miles, in a way her own curiosity was a daydream of its own. Scratching her left arm nervously Mist smiled. "I suppose I was just wondering... er..." Mist paused and held her hands behind her back. She spoke in a sweet tone but one that was clear she had no idea what she was talking about. "Sorry, it seems I have forgotten." Mist brought her hand forward and scratched her cheek. a confused look spread across her face.

Stryder grew more and more frustrated. He couldn't think of anyway to make a experianced player help him learn. He had no Col to pay for it, he had no items to trade, and if he came up and just asked it might seem rude. He yelled in frustration, before sighing and getting up, knowing sitting here frustrated was going to get him no where. He had to learn on his own for now, maybe at a later date, but for now, he had to act like he did in the real world, he couldn't let emotion slip, he had to be brave. He took a deep breath, then starting roaming the streets.

Before long, he zoned out, thinking about the game and everything in it, only to bump into a wall, groaning and punching it, an immortal object icon showing saying he couldn't break it. 

"Stupid wall"

Eatos looked over at the shorter girl, and at first, her eyes were drawn to her weapon. A large spear, which was almost comical on the shorter girl, but, each to their own. If she felt more comfortable with that weapon, there was no reason for her to comment otherwise. Of course, listening to the girl opened up a whole new kettle of fish. She seemed, dazed, was the word Katherine selected. Lost, confused. While she sounded sweet, she also sounded lost. That wouldn’t do. Eatos smiled widely, and opened her mouth to say ‘Its ok, how about we try and remember?’, when she heard someone say ‘Stupid Wall’. Unable to stop herself, she looked over.

She spotted him a good few metres away, a male who was obviously frustrated, although she doubted it was the walls fault. After all, she’d nearly walked into one barely a minute ago.

She turned her attention back to the girl in front of her. It was unlikely this girl knew about where to gain money, but it was worth a shot? Maybe that’s what the girl was going to ask her?

“Well, I’m sure it’ll come back to you” she said, trying to make a big-sister tone although she doubted she was any good at it “I’m actually curious, do you know how to like…earn money in this game?”

Mist continued to stand there smiling, although struggled to come up with anything to say. Fortunately, a voice broke out from not too far by. Both she and the rapier wielder glanced over to the sound, it appeared another player had nearly walked into a wall and was now beginning to punch in. "Are you okay?" Mist asked the player, her attention quickly diverting from the situation at hand. She didn't say any more than this, perhaps the stranger just wanted to be left alone. Turning her head back to the blue-haired player she paused for a moment to think on her question. "You'd need to earn a profession. I think there is a quest every player can begin to get a job." The brunette twirled her hair in her hand, she hadn't really looked into doing a quest as of yet, so perhaps now was the time to start one. "Oh and you can drop the tone, I'm older than I look." Mist said tilting her head to one side, but keeping a friendly tone of voice, she didn't want to put the other player under an illusion that she needed help. Although she could be quite forgetful at times. "My name is Mist, by the way, how about you?"

Edited by Mist

Sky punched the wall about three times, each time the immortal object came up. He was glad he was in a virtual world, if he had done this in the real world... his hand would probably be cut and bruised. Then, he heard someone ask if he was okay, he turned around, noticing two girls talking. He was suprised, someone had actually said something to him, though it seemed she had quickly gone back to talking to the girl. He sighed, though decided to walk over anyway, listening in on their conversation a little bit. 

"Im fine" He said with a calm voice, having already gotten the anger out of his system. He didn't say anymore, instead opting to just stay behind her, not wanting to really... well barge into the conversation these two seemed to be having, though as he listened he got the feeling that the blue haired girl was trying to get some money. He decided to take whatever was said in, he wouldn't mind knowing how to do that himself.

Katherine was slightly taken aback by the girl, even if she had informed her about the use of Professions. She hadn’t meant to come off as rude, although, she had sorta assumed the smaller girl was, well, younger. She hadn’t meant to be rude, although, the more she thought about it, the more it could have come off in that manner.

“I-I’m Eatos…” she introduced herself after Mist, realizing it was common to refer to yourself with your online alies, not your real name. Despite the boy, who had tried to attack a wall, walking over, the girls mind skipped over him. She didn’t mean to, it just dipped and dived and he failed to make the cut, therefore Eatos’ attention was enthralled upon Mist. “T-these professions, you said theres a quest start right…? I’m sorry to be such a pain, but are you able to point me towards one? I’ve got no idea where anything is in this town…”

She wasn’t proud of it, but despite all her time in the town, she was lost in the town. The time being overrun by fear and worry, and her daydreaming wanders, had failed to give her any proper sense of direction in the town of beginners. She just hoped others were less dreamy and actually paid attention to their surroundings.  

Mist read the reaction on Eatos's face, as though the blue haired player had reacted as though she had done something wrong. Mist felt a little guilty as she hadn't meant for it to sound like she was making the other player out as a bad person. "No no sorry you got me wrong, I just wanted to inform you. You didn't do anything wrong. I only meant it in a friendly way." Mist dropped her head, slightly sad and embarrassed with herself for making the other player feel uncomfortable. A few moments passed until she looked back up again. It appeared the other player had come to join them, which Mist didn't mind.

"Eatos, its nice to meet you." Miss said sweetly returning to her former tone, although she still looked a little panicked "What's your name?" She commented curiously, her attention switching to the boy for moment. After this Eatos asked her where the quest would begin. "Ooh I can show you!" Mist said energetically, turning around she began to wander towards the markets. "I think its in the center.. or is it?" The brunette suddenly stopped and brought her index finger to her lip, a puzzled look had spread over her face and her head was once again titled to the side. There was quite a long pause and after a low humming sound demonstrating Mist's thinking process she finally remembered. "That's right, you need to visit any Non-player character of the type of profession you would like!"

Profession? Like a job? Thats what this... Eatos was trying to get a job. It was a smart idea, though he... didn't really know if he wanted to do that. Maybe if time progressed right, and he was smart he could work for her collecting materials? If.... the job she choose was one that needed collecting. He didn't want to have to spec any of the points he got into a job, instead he would rather go full combat and be able to survive easier. He made a mental note to try and stay in the girls good side, in case she let him do that. 

His attention shifted when the girl he was behind asked him his name. He shyly hid behind his hair still, responding with a audible voice. He was actually nervous, he didn't know these people, and here he was, thinking about tagging along.

"My names Sk-- I mean Stryder!!" He said, almost saying his real name, having nearly slipped out. He didn't know what it was, but he just forgot for a moment. Maybe his anger from before had put him down more then he had thought, he just hoped he wouldn't go into a depression state, he would be a burden on all of society then... well everyone else in this death trap.

"J..ust curious... if i can ask... what different 'professions' is their..."  He asked, looking past his hair into the eyes of Mist.

In a way she felt bad having the girl apologise to her, was she that bad at hiding how she felt? She had thought she had a stronger poker face, although, maybe with being in a ‘new body’, her poker face would need work. That’s when she finally noticed the new arrival of Stryder, another online name. She knew she’d have to get used to calling herself Eatos, but that filled the girl with a new worry, one she knew was childish yet she couldn’t chase away. What if Katherine died in here, and she, as Eatos, survived? Would she even be herself?

While that thought did invade her mind, it was prompted removed by Mist informing her she did know where she could start a job, or ‘Profession’. The girl perked up and followed Mist, smiling at the shorter girl.

“Thank you thank you so much Mist!” She said as she started to look around at the nearby NPCS. She quickly spotted one that caught her eye, after all, she enjoyed cooking in the real world, why not learn here? Although there were two factors that stopped her. The first being a realization that, while cooking could be enjoyable, the system of SAO might oversimply it, and more importantly, it was a less than demanded skill. The stall nearby that caught her eyes however, she liked the look of. Smithing. In a game of combat, she quickly realized there would always be a demand for weapons and armour. That’s where she would earn her income, that would be her start.

“Blacksmithing….” She muttered out loud as her mind calculated the likelihood of people purchasing armour and weapons, High, which would then allow her income and, with that, Money, or Col. “I wonder if I’ll have to gather ores or something…” she allowed her thoughts to escape as she slowly wandered towards the stand, her mind trying to calculate possible incomes and, during its calculations, ‘forgetting’ the existence of Mist and Stryder.

Mist watched slightly confused but joyfully as Eatos wandered around the different stores. Whilst she and the player named Stryder stood back. Eventually the rapier wielders mind seemed to settle on what appeared to be a blacksmith. "I can't wait to get some new gear." Mist giggled. The spearwoman then turned her head to Stryder, who still seemed a little flustered from earlier. Recalling his earlier question she stood and thought for a moment. Of course, as usual it was quite a long and drawn out pause as Mist didn't have the best ability to recall her memories but eventually she conjured up a few answers.

"I think there is... a blacksmith! Oh and a... Fisher!... Oh and a..." Every time the girl spoke her voice would drop to a low hum and pick up into a more energetic and sweet tone upon remembering the answer. In any case after ten or so minutes of this she had told Stryder most the professions which happened to be a cook, a blacksmith, a tailor, a alchemist, a fisher, a artisan and a merchant. "You know I hear there is an artisans store buried deep within the second floor, and the owner makes intriguing objects that can glow and illuminate." Mist said this in a highly energetic tone before throwing her arms up into the air and nearly falling backwards into the fountain they happened to be stood near. "Hehe whoops."

Sky watched as the blue haired girl, known as Eatos, looking around for what she wanted. It was slightly entertaining watching it, but his attention turned away once she seemed to find what she wanted, blacksmithing. That was good for him, if he managed to stay alive and be her friend, he could work with her, getting materials and maybe earning some decent gear that would help him survive. Then he started listening to Mist. Blacksmithing, Fisher... then he listend as the rest were explained. He didn't really.... like any of them. If any, he might become a merchant selling scavanged gear?? He wouldn't get much though...

"Sounds.... good..... I don't think i will become anything... Maybe i might help collect materials...." He said to her, then asked another question. "D...o you have any profossion...?" He asked, all his attention going to the sweet girl. She was being really nice to him, making him feel... well, welcomed and glad. The firt people he met in game, and they were being nice to him.

Eatos approached the Blacksmithing Vendor, a broad NPC male with a thick brown beard and eyes that shined at the girl. She walked up to the stand, but paused with uncertainty. Was a quest going to just pop up? Or did she have to converse with the NPC in order to begin her quest. After several moments of silence, it was the latter.

“Excuse me” she said softly “Is this where I can start becoming a Blacksmith?” she asked. Right as she said the word ‘Blacksmith’, the NPC spun all its attention onto her.

“Of course my dear, this is where all beginning Smiths start! Now then, are you prepared to join the line of Blacksmiths who pour their soul and heart into each piece they create? If so, then I’ll need to see you work” The Large NPC smiled as the Quest Box appeared in front of her and she read over it. The quest, seemed simple enough. Create an Iron Weapon, like what she had. It wouldn’t buff her damage, but it would at least get her on the right path. She wouldn’t have to rely on drops, items being rewarded by the killings of monsters. She pressed the blue circle, accepting the Quest.

“Excellent!” The NPC boomed “First thing you’ll need is this, a Pickaxe! Using this you can acquire Ores that’ll allow you to create your equipment. Mine several Iron Ores, then bring them back here to smelt them into a weapon!”

Eatos spotted the newly acquired item and took a deep breath. So she’d have to mine, if only a time. In her mind, she hoped that someday, she’d be able to get players who would mine for her, go onto the higher levels she wouldn’t want to, and trade ores for weapons, or even pay them. Col was always going to be important in her long game plan. But first, she needed Blacksmithing levels, and it all started with this quest. She had to, this is what she was now. A blacksmith. She started humming as she strode back over to Mist and Stryder, smiling at them both.

“I got the quest..f-for blacksmithing…I just need to mine some ores, make them into a blade and I can start” she informed them, smiling at Mist, a silent thanks for the girl getting her this far “…S-say, I know neither of you probably wanna…but would either of you mind coming with? The mining places would be out of town, a-and I’d rather not go on my own…” She knew it was sad, in a way, that she was that scared of leaving the town on her own, but it was. She’d never left it, found it safe because no monsters could ever touch her. But, outside of the walls, that’s what scared her.  

Mist eyes widened as she saw the pick axe. "I've never seen one of them before." She thought to herself happily. "Well not in reality." Looking back up to Eatos she smiled, "Of course! I would love to help." A moment later Mist then ran off to the blacksmith store. The spearwoman could be seen conversing with the blacksmith and after a while of talking she returned with two extra pick axe's. "He said we could borrow these to help you gather some materials." Turning to Stryder she handed him one of the pickaxes. "Alright im ready to go." She said in a raised happy tone, and all of a sudden Mist began to start practicing her swinging. A few nearby players scurried away, slightly worried at her attempts after all the actual pick axe was flailing all over the place. At one point she nearly struck Stryder's head by mistake. Thankfully they were in a safe zone so she couldn't do any harm. "Wow... I think im getting the hang of this." Mist said happily chuckling to herself.

Sky looked at the Pick, already knowing what it did from playing a lot of other games, though... it seemed so.... real..... 

As he was concentrating on it, his mind just taking in how real this world felt, he quickly felt something drag him down, a quick 'Ahh' as he fell down, the pick having knocked him over due to him not paying attention. Wait... did she expect him to help? He sighed, noticing that Mist was helping, and then noticed her practice swinging. He couldn't help but laugh until the pick went straight to his head, quickly screaming and covering his head, only for himself to be covered in an Immortal object warning. He sighed, thank god for safe zones. 

"Yeah..... don't want that to happen outside... So.. where we heading?" He asked, getting up off the ground and holding the pickaxe on his shoulder, ready for the hard ass work we was about to need to do.

She was, at first, taken aback. Despite that fact she asked, she had expected both of them to decline her. She wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth, after all, they were even offering to help her mine! Her original worry was of monsters near the mining zone, which was a little bit out of town. But, with three of them, that fear had died. After all, what monsters would hang around in the low level mining area?

Of course, there were two obvious benefits for Stryder and Mist offering to help her mine, it would be quicker and they'd be easier to defend themselves from an attack. Of course, a slight worry she had was experience gaining. If she let others get the minerals for her, would she gain mining exp? She wasn't sure, but hoped it wouldn't affect her too much. And even laughed watching Mist swing her pickaxe around. After her swing AT stryder, which brought some level of 'fear' into her, she realized she should be the one to 'lead' them. After all, she doubted they were coming with her because they were getting their own minerals. They were doing it out of kindness for her, so she didn't want to waste their time anymore than she already had. Following the prompt on her map, she started walking towards the...exit of the town.

"I-its this way guys. L-lets go!" She said, and almost as soon as she started walking, the humming came out. She paused for a few seconds at the edge of the town of beginners ,took a deep breath, and stepped over it, headed to the mine.  

Edited by Eatos

After Mist was done practicing her 'mining' technique she happily trailed after Eatos, taking in the world and its surroundings. Going outside the Town of Beginnings always got her overly excited. The different smells, views and even tastes were all so wonderful and different, it was only last week she found an apple tree and ate practically every piece of fruit on it. "I wonder if the other two have ever been outside." She mulled over, thinking about her compatriots. Eatos seemed sensible, although also a little out of it all, where as Stryder seemed quite paranoid? She couldn't really describe the swordsman all that well. Perhaps with more time she would get a gauge on him. Mist wondered when she would do this quest herself, she hadn't thought on it much. However she knew her own curious nature might be best suited to that of an alchemist. Letting out a loud yawn and stretching her arms behind her back she continued to follow after the rapier wielder, simply thinking about all these things.