[F1-PP] <<The first few lessons are free>> (Shepard, Spidey) [complete]

"I feel as if our lives in reality prepared us for this world"Shepard says with a smile. "That's funny I just thought about it so many people want to clear this game and get back to their reality when the truth is that this world is our reality" Shepherd saw Spidey pick up a mushroom "Hey, looks like you found one" Shepherd jumped off the rock and landed beside Spidey. Shepherd then starts walking in the direction of the town. "Let's start back to town and search along the wall." 'why does Shepherd think we will have better luck there?' They walk in silence for a bit before Spidey starts to talk again. "You're right, and your wrong at the same time, you know. Your right in the sense that in this world there are many who look down on us for being who we are. There are people who will still try to use us or take advantage of us. But you're forgetting something. It's what makes this reality different from that reality. The rules are different. In that reality, I wasn't allowed to fight back. I didn't want to get punished. I'd rather endure it those 8 hours a day 5 days a week and live my life outside of school then sit being punished for sticking up for myself with my fists. It was all verbal bullying and the teachers didn't care. But, in this reality. No one bosses me around. That's why I put on the nerve gear. Not just to escape that reality but the rules to. H*ll, in that reality, you can't leave your country without a **ck^n' passport. But with the nerve gear? There's nowhere you can't travel in a game. You just need a high enough level." They still had a ways to go before they reached to wall when something caught Spidey's eye. A birds feather had fallen off. He picked up the feather. "Got another one."

ID# 82297

LD: 17

Edited by JD
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepard listened intently to Spidey's answer to his question while he searched for materials hoping to find something "I have to agree with you in the real world you couldn't do anything about those people without being punished for it but in this world you have the power to defend yourself." Spidey made a good point with what he was saying their were still people out there that manipulated players into doing there bidding. There was still nothing for Shepard to use as a material around him 'looks like my luck is running out' he sighed in disappointment and continued talking "But there are those that you hear complaining constantly about how easy it is to die here but when we were in the other reality there was a better chance of you dieing than being here." Thinking about death was never an option for Shepard it was a thought he always forced out of his head because he knew if he died he wouldn't be here to help Juni or get back to his little sister and mother. "Hey Spidey you mentioned you have a family outside of this world do you ever miss them?"

ID#82354

LD 6

Spoiler

Mats

2/5 Shepard

2/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

"Hey Spidey you mentioned you have a family outside of this world do you ever miss them?" 'If only Shepherd knew.' "Yes, I do miss them at times, but I'm happy that I can't see them. Before you jump to conclusions, I'm saying I'm happy that I can't see because they didn't get stuck like I did." Spidey was relieved he had put the nerve gear on instead of his sis. "My little sister was always seeking out out new thrills or adventures. When I started playing VR on nerve gear, I became distant to try and keep her from playing VR games. She'd probably get lost in the VR world. About a month before the release of this game, she started disappearing a lot more often and for longer periods of time. She always ate dinner with our family. Probably just to keep them off her back." Spidey knew that what he did wouldn't last forever. He knew she'd get curious at some point, but at least she was safe from this, right? "I know I can't keep her from it forever and probably ruined our relationship, but at least she ain't here. At least I hope not." Spidey couldn't find anything. Not a single material. And he hoped that answered Shepherds question. 

ID# 82542

LD: 4

Edited by JD

He's happy he can't see them before Shepard could ask why, Spidey had started to explain that it was do to them not being here with him. "It's a good thing that they didn't get stuck in this world, if they did you'd be like me worrying where they are and if they were alright" they still weren't even half way to the wall yet when something caught his eye a small blue flower sitting out of place among the grass by itself "found another material" as he picked it up he realized Spidey was still talking so Shepard moved back over to him and waited until he was finished to speak "well usually when someone disappears for long periods of time during the day they're usually hiding something, and by the sounds of it she might have been diving." This probably wasn't the best thing to point out at the moment but it was more than likely true if what Spidey was saying was true. "Hey and don't worry I'm sure the next time you see her she will thank you from keeping her from VR gaming."  

ID#82634

LD 20

Spoiler

Mats

3/5 Shepard

2/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

Spidey had his worst fears confirmed when he heard Shepherd say that. "With her need for adventure, I knew from the beginning that keeping her from VR was impossible from the beginning. I just wanted to prolong it as long as possible." Spidey felt a little relieved by the fact he had bought one of the last few SAO disks. That meant that there was less of a chance that she had bought the SAO game. "I doubt she'd thank me though. If you couldn't die and could log out of this world, would you thank someone if they tried to keep you from a world like this?" Spidey noticed they had closed about 1/2 the distance to the wall. He told Shepherd everything h could without revealing names. Not that I'd make much of a difference here. After all they look exactly like they did in real life. That was the main reason why it was taboo to tell people your name. It was up to Shepherd if he wanted to hear Spideys name or not. His reasoning for telling him was he thought of Shepherd as a good friend to have. Spidey thought against it at the last second. Shepherd doesn't seem like that kind of guy. Not to mention they don't know each other that well. "You're the kind of guy I'd really like to have as a friend. How old are you? I'm guessing your around 20-25 but I could be wrong. I'm 16." Even wile he was talking to Shepherd, Spidey was looking for mats. He was getting a little frustrated. 'Why is is it so hard to find materials!' He only found two so far. 

ID# 82668

LD: 7

Edited by JD

‘That probably wasn’t the best thing to say to him’ thinking back to what he said about his sister probably going into dives. “Don’t worry about it so much man the chances of her getting a disk were probably harder than ours I mean I waited awhile to get my copy and I got to the stores early.” At that Shepard looked around noticing that they were about half way from the wall to town and from there it was another long walk to the main gate where the safe zone begins. His attention was grabbed by a small object in the corner of his vision a small mushroom blue in tint and not much bigger than the palm of his hand standing in the tall grass he walked over and added it to his inventory. “But you can die in here and no matter how amazing this world is that doesn’t change that simple truth” he stopped momentarily when he heard Spidey’s next question ‘if he thinks of me as a friend I guess it wouldn’t hurt to tell him my age and name then, it’s not like he can look me up on the internet.’ Shepard takes a deep breath “I’m 18.”

ID#82747

LD 14

Spoiler

Mats

4/5 Shepard

2/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence
  • 6 months later...

After Shepherd stopped for a second at his question about age, Spidey heard him take a deep breath.  “I’m 18”. Spidey was kind of surprised. “You must either really trust me or think that information is really useless in this situation. But you know age is just a number. Names hold power. I won’t ask cause I won’t tell if I was asked. Proper  netiquette.” Spidey was still looking but wasn’t having much luck. But he didn’t give up on searching for mats. “And sorry for putting you on the spot like that. In return you can ask me any question. Except for my name. You can use it now or later, your choice. But you can only use it in private like we are now. Sound good?” To Spidey it was fair. He saw that the question shocked him, if it was even only for a second. That made him feel like he crossed a line, even though Shepherd did answer him. Spidey saw something red. When he went to pick it up he found out it was a red mushroom. “Finally! I found another item!”

Roll ID: 90845

LD 11

‘I accidentally added 2098 in the perma roller by accident. I still hope it counts’

What the hell was he thinking telling Spidey that he didn't even know the guy that well. Looking at Spidey he saw that his statement had come of a bit of a surprise to him. "What, you didn't think I was 30 did you." Letting out a quick laugh then stifling it as if it hadn't started when Spidey responded about age being a number and names holding power "neither really holds any kinda power anymore you can't track people in game with there name out there in the real world and you can't exactly Google them either." It was getting dark but it seemed to be safe enough closer to the town wall so he decided to keep searching for materials while he listened to Spidey 'one free question huh' he thought when Spidey said the words "well I'll keep that in mind" as they continued to walk the outside of the wall and he was starting to wonder when they would find another material when Spidey announced he found one "about time man I was about to give up hope" stifling another laugh he about stepped on a flower that resembled a daisy crouching to pick it up he added it to his inventory. "Hey looks like I've got all of mine you only need two more let's keep looking."

ID# 90863

LD:18 (success) 

Spoiler

Mats

5/5 Shepard (done)

3/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

“Well I’ll keep that in mind” Shepherds response didn’t surprise Spidey at all. After all who would want a free answer to any question. After Spidey found the red mushroom, Shepherd said “about Time man I was about to give up hope.” He stopped to pick up a flower and continued. “Hey  looks like I’ve got all of mine you only need two more let’s keep looking.”  Spidey couldn’t help the shock that crossed his face. Shepherd seemed like a really good guy. Usually people don’t want to stck around when let’s down his guard even this much around them. But Shepherd wasn’t scared away at all. He just had to be sure. He probably just misheard him, right? “You really don’t mind staying untill we find all of the mats I need?” He really hope he didn’t mishear Shepherd, and he didn’t want him to wait to long if he did, But he still couldn’t find anything. 

ID# 90923

LD: 9

Edited by JD

"Nah I don't mind." But it was more like he didn't want to be responsible for Spidey dieing to a bunch of boars that he could have stopped. He would never be able to live with himself if someone died on his watch. "I'll keep an eye out for any threats while you look for the rest of your materials." Scanning the fields around wasn't particularly hard it was just grassy plains but at night mobs could be more aggressive and numerous but there was an upside to the danger the view was spectacular thanks to the stars and the Moon's light the fields had glow to it as if it had been coated in silver. "So, did you know this quest has a few that follow it after it's done?" Waiting for his response Shepard also looked around for materials that he could use for himself but came up empty handed.

ID#90942 

LD:9 fail (search purpose on the roll link is for non-quest mat searching)

Spoiler

5/5 Shepard

3/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

"Nah I don't mind. I'll keep an eye out for any threats while you look." Spidey felt a little happy. Someone who saw him without out his mask (even if only for a few seconds) and didn’t ditch him. He couldn’t help but smirk a little. He took a look a the sky. "So, did you know this quest has a few that follow it after it's done?" Shepherd said. Spidey decided to let his mask drop a little more, but not completely. People tended to betray him, or use him so he still had to cautious. “Isn’t that obvious? Most quests do. If someone isn’t careful they end up with 50 quests to do before they realize it.” Even though Spidey was talking to Shepherd, he was mesmerized by the sky. The sheer beauty was breath taking. But he couldn’t stare forever. He started to look again but his back felt a little stiff, if that was even possible, so he bent his back straight back and looked forward though his legs. He continued to walk (like a penguin) with his arms close to the grass looking for materials. After about a minute he stopped, ‘That felt better’. “You know, even though I can’t find any materials, and we are stuck here and this IS a death game, I don’t regret my decision and this sight is a sight to behold. What about you?”

Roll ID # 91014

LD: 6

Shepard broke his gaze from the landscape to listen to what Spidey had to say. "That's is true in some cases" cracking yet another smile at his own response. But it didn't last long as Spidey asked a question that he had pause and ponder on. 'do I regret this?' repeating the question to himself he thought about it, the only thing he did regret was what he did to Juni getting her stuck here as well he had been going to the monument of life every day ever since the first day in this death game making sure she was still alive, but he could never tell Spidey that. Shepard didn't know how long he had just been standing there but it didn't seem that Spidey had taken notice yet, he quickly recomposed himself and answered the question "no I guess I don't." Hopefully that would be enough to sate his curiosity.

Spidey was looking at Shepherd out of the corner of his eye. Shepard broke his gaze from the landscape to listen to what he had to say. "That's is true in some cases" Shepherd said cracking a smile. But Spidey noticed the change in his attitude when he asked Shepherd “what about you?”. Spidey pretended not to notice. By they way Shepherd tried to hide that change in attitude and brief pause, making Spidey glad he pretended not to notice how Shepherd acted“No I guess I don’t” Spidey could tell that Shepard was tired of him asking questions. Spidey had trouble looking for materials now. Right now he was more or less acting like he was looking for materials. Spidey was wondering why Shepherd looked like his cat had died and was hiding it behind a rather convincing smile. Spidey has a feeling that Shepherd was tired of his questions, and wondered why react so much to his last question in such a sad way. It was then he remembered Their conversation about Juni. Suddenly everything clicked for Spidey. He could speak his mind possibly turning it into some lecture or speech that makes Shepherd hate him in the end but could possibly help stop him from dying because depression distracted him in battle or keep silent and stay his friend hoping for the best. Keeping that in mind Spidey decided help and hope for the best. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up your memories of your close friend Juni. You said I don’t have to worry about asking the hard questions questions around you because your ok with, but that doesn’t mean I can’t feel sorry for bringing up painful memories when I don’t even mean to. You told me I very intuitive, I just think I’m very observant, but seeing how I can’t find any materials you might be right!” Spidey stopped and looked at Shepherd. “I may be nosy, hate the awkward silence, brash, a little rude, and straight to the point, but I try to be a good friend. I tend to over think things, get impatient, get mad, and hide myself from the world just to show off to keep them looking to closely at the real me, but I try and make real connections but, good lord I’m going off point here! What I’m trying to say is you have your problems. I have mine. You don’t have to tell me yours but you’re not going to be able to make them my problems by telling me them. Just as I can’t make my problem your problem by telling you about it. You are LITERALLY the 1st person I’ve opened up to because you’re the 1st person that I think won’t judge me for being me. Sure the information might be minor to some people, but I am letting you see me. Usually, I’m careful with what I say, divert, make people think they see me. But I never truly open up. You are the 1st person to notice that. No joke, I knew you knew my smile was a mask. You know more about me then everyone who knew me IRL! But you beat yourself up over guilt. I know you trust me enough to tell me your age, and about Juni, HECK! I don’t even know if that’s her name in here or IRL! So trust me enough to help you Help yourself.” Spidey didn’t guilt to destroy his friend. So he had to explain that there was no way it could have been. He just hopped this would work.

“1! IT’S NOT YOU FAULT! KAY? You had NO idea. The only way it could be considered your fault is if you convinced her to play the game knowing this would happen.” 

Spidey knew guilt wasn’t an emotion that drove anyone to do much with out hope. Guilt will weigh you down, hope drives to to try and fix it. 

“2! You said it’s your guilt that drives you to stay alive and find her. That is probably a lie. It’s true you might feal guilty, but it’s hope that drives you. Under all that guilt, you hope that she will forgive you, that she won’t blame you, that she doesn’t push you away. that’s what drives you. But what terrifies you the most is the possibility that she hates you, wants you to disappear. That’s what makes you feel guilty.”

Remember the phrase ‘takes one to know one’. Spidey knew that the ‘what if’s’ Can tear some up until they stop believing in others altogether. If Shepherd stays on that path, even if his friend did forgive him, he would always doubt her and her words until their relationship was destroyed.

“3! I know what it feels like going though all the ‘what if’s’ in my head. You try to come up with excuses to any argument you think that she would use right? Ways you could atone for your ‘mistake’, right? Ways to make it up to her. You need to stop. Before you end up getting killed. IRL, you could mope all you want, put on a mask and slowly have you emotions rot and slowly all that’s left is the need to keep the mask on. Because that’s all you feel like you have left, but in here? You need to focus on the here and now, the future, but not falling to despair over the past.” 

Shepherd was friends with her right? He knows what kind of personality she has.  And Spidey knows guilt tends to make you focus on your mistakes and forget about the other persons personality. Assuming that the other person is mad and will never forgive you. Spidey hopes that getting Shepherd to focus on her personality and how long he’s known Juni to help him reconsider how she will actually react when he sees her again.

“4! You actually know her, and I only know what you told me. Do you think for EVEN A SECOND that she would blame you? I can’t speak for someone I don’t know, but I don’t think that it would be possible for you to become close friends with a mean and spiteful witch, so she must be a good, kind, and caring person. You have known her for years. At least long enough that you feel like you guys are close friends. Enough that you could convince her to play it with you on that afternoon instead of waiting until the next morning. Enough that she actually got on, keeping her word instead of just saying that she would and leaving you to get stuck in here alone. She doesn’t seem like she would blame you.”

After all that, Shepherd probably won’t want to be his friend anymore. But Spidey just knew after all that the least he could do was apologize for what he did, he just hope it helped.

Jet, I know I’m crossing the line by saying all of the. I know for a fact that if anyone said all of this to me with how little they know about me. If you get mad at me, that’s good! At least I was here to say something to you. I had no one, different situation, but it left me in a state similar to what you are in. If I am completely wrong and that’s just how you always act, I’m sorry and chalk it up to overthinking. Either way, Sorry for rambling, meddling, and sticking my nose where it doesn’t belong. Before I dig myself a deeper hole, I will now stop talking unless you ask me a question, and look for materials so we can end this quest.” Spidey stopped looking at Shepherd and proceeded to look for materials. 

ID: 91236

LD: 8

5/5 Shepherd 

3/5 Spidey

((OOC) Really sorry for the super long post. Should mention you already told Spidey about Juni. Read the 1st page of posts. Should be around the middle.)

• 5 months later...

"You told me I very intuitive, I just think I’m very observant, but seeing how I can’t find any materials you might be right!” Shepard couldn't help but laugh at that comment but when he realized that Spidey wasn't finished he quickly stopped and listened. Through everything that Spidey was saying what caught his attention the most was what he said about hope how the guilt was just the surface and what really lied below was the hope that Juni might forgive me and the fact that I was afraid that my worst fear was she wouldn't. "Th...thank you Spidey your right that I hope she'll forgive me and that what scares me the most is that there is a chance she won't." He walked over to where Spidey was standing and placed a hand over his own chest. "I know that I need to stop feeling guilty, and it might not go away for awhile, but I think no wait my hope is that thanks to you I will find her and get my answer."  Putting his hand out in a fist bump gesture towards Spidey "from here on out I make this promise to you I will try and stop feeling guilty and start to hope for a better future one where we all get out of this death game me you Juni and if your sister is in here somewhere I will help you find her."

Edited by Lawrence
  • 3 months later...

Spidey fist bumped Shepherds fist. “Glad to hear it. Same to you to man. I’ll help you find Juni. After all, what kind of person would I be if I abandoned the 1st person I can truly trust outside of family?” Spidey really was relieved. Because Shepherd actually looked like he let go of some of that guilt that was tearing him up. He looked like he could hope again. Spidey knew it wasn’t completely over yet. Those ‘what ifs’ could come back, but he started going down a path different from what Spidey did. “Besides, we all have troubles. Troubles we find hard to share. We can’t afford to live like we do IRL in here. Trust is the hardest thing to earn, but the easiest thing to lose. We can’t trust we won’t ever be ambushed by a PKer. Anyone any time. That alone terrifies me. That’s why I’m glad I found you. We can’t hide much of anything from each other. Well help each other survive.” In the middle of talking he looks down and sees a red mushroom. Bending down to pick it up he continues. “Besides, it will be more fun with a companion, right?” After putting the mushroom in his inventory, Spidey asked. Practically already knowing the answer. 

ID# 105299

Loot: 20

After Spidey returned the fist bump Shepard decided to walk towards a hill that was closer to the wall while he listened to Spidey "yeah I guess having a companion would be better than soloing everything" Shepard replied. After reaching the hill he realized that it overlooked a small meadow with an assortment of different kinds of flowers but is seemed they were all just basic plant life and nothing special but it still looked nice. The hill also gave a clear line of sight to the edge of floor 1 to the west and the forest to the north behind them. Before he sat down Shepard took a look around for a moment to make sure there weren't any mobs around after he decided that the area was fairly safe he plopped down on the ground and looked back to his companion to see him picking up a red mushroom "hey if my count is correct that makes four, that means you only need one more.... Hey why don't you come check this out" with that Shepard laid back in the grass and waited for him to catch up to him.

Spoiler

5/5 Shepherd 

4/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

After seeing Shepherd lay down on the grass, Spidey started walking over their. He was interested in what Shepherd had found. When he got to Shepherd he was stunned. Letting out a small chuckle, he said “Man Jet, you sure found a good view. Maybe it is a good idea to relax for a little bit and enjoy this view.” Who knew about such a sight. “It’s funny in a way. if I hadn’t run into you, I might have never seen this place.” Spidey decided to lay on the grass to for a while. He didn’t bother checking because he saw Shepherd do it already. ”Life is crazy at times, and sometimes all you can do is follow the flow.” Spidey slowly closed his eyes for a minute to enjoy the breeze, before opening them again to look at the meadow. “I wonder where it will take us.” His mind starts wandering. The view is something to Spidey, who doesn’t travel much  it truly is breathtaking to him. He considered himself to be lucky to see such a sight. “Does Jet travel a lot? Is that why he didn’t react as strongly. Lucky guy”

ID# 105333

loot: 3

Edited by JD
No long enough.

Instead of getting up Shepard just laid there listening to Spidey compliment the view "yeah it's pretty cool ain't it, let's just sit here for a moment and rest it has been a long day and to be honest I'm pretty tired I've been sleeping under trees and on benches for quite some time now" stretching out on the ground and closing his eyes he let the wind blow over him not caring about his hair getting in his face he just laid there and enjoyed it. "And let me tell you it's not very comfortable" laying there his thoughts started wandering to what it would be like to see a view like this in real life or if there where sites like this on every floor. "Do you think there is a view like this on every floor,  if there is I think it would be worth making the time to see them all what do you think" while waiting for him to answer Shepard sat up and fixed his hair just in time to see the sun set on the edge of the floor bathing the sky in Orange and red before it sunk below the edge and out of sight "well that was nice but now it's night and mobs are going to be more active we better be careful" getting back on his feet Shepard decided to walk down to the meadow "we better get moving" looking back at Spidey still sitting on the hill he added "you coming?" and continued to walk down the hill.

Spoiler

5/5 Shepherd 

4/5 Spidey

Edited by Lawrence

“Yeah I’m coming. As for the rest. Your right we do need to be careful and views like this are worth visiting.” Picking himself up, he started walking with Shepherd. Keeping an eye out for mats and mobs. Luckily he found a green mushroom as he was walking. Without stopping he bent down and scooped it up as he walked by. “Hey Jet. I finally got the last mat I needed. We can start heading back now. I wonder where I’m going to sleep tonight.” Knowing Shepherd would follow, Spidey started walking back towards the town. He was taking it slow in order to carefully watch for monsters as he walked. Being ambushed out here was a dangerous thing. Especially if one wasn’t prepared. While thinking he glanced at Shepherd. Who knows how his life would have turned out if he hadn’t met him. He sure wouldn’t be here right now. But he’s was glad. He had someone he could trust here. How many others could say the same. Trust is as valuable as ones life. That’s true anywhere.

ID# 105346

Loot: 19

Edited by JD
Not long enough.

While they were making their way to the gate Shepard opened up the map to see how far they were from the entrance to the town. As he pulled it up he saw that they were only a couple of minutes from it, and he also saw Spidey pick up his final material "good we got all the materials and we're only a few minutes from the gate we should be able to get this quest over with within the hour" as he finished speaking Shepard spotted light coming from around the next bend "speak of the devil, look  there it is Spidey let's go" with that he heard a noise behind them. Turning around to see what it was all he could see was a dark shape the size of a cow running towards them "Spidey we got a bogie on are six run!!!" With that Shepard broke into a sprint towards the gate as he got near to it he jumped into the entrance and turned just in time to see the massive black shape of some kind of mob barrelling past the gate. "Well that was a close one huh spidey" he said to Spidey as he got up "let's get this quest over with." 

As they reached Zachariah's shop Shepard just walked on in not even bothering to knock "hey, we got those items for you" setting them on the counter as he spoke "good I'm glad you got them was there any trouble?" Replied the shop keeper "well not really but there was this huge creature that chased us at the edge of the wall" as he finished Shepard was about to open his quest menu when Zachariah spoke up "I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble in return for the danger you faced I will give you a lesson on alchemy try your luck at the table over there" Shepard walked over to the table and picked up a material to grind up but instead it shattered when he tried to "dang it, hey Spidey why don't you give it a try"

Spoiler

ID:105349

CD:2 (fail)

Edited by Lawrence