Crafting Materials

Based off of a discussion held in Discord chat with Teion and Takao. Recommended for me to have @Calrex take a look.

(Quick disclaimer: I am a merchant, so I acknowledge my bias in the following, but I don't believe that detracts from the validity of the points)

It was brought to the group's attention that crafters do not need to specify what type of mats they use until after rolling their check. While it doesn't make a difference as far as difficulty of the craft, there are a few points to make:

• There's already little difficulty in making ideal items. Allowing characters to store T2 mats until they get the right roll contributes to the over saturation of perfect items.
  • The anime actually shows us how it works mechanically. Smiths craft by turning the material into the items they're making, which would mean specifying first.
  • There is a precedent for requiring specification of what is being crafted, since it's specifically considered cheating for any merchants to not do so.
  • As it is, the system contributes to a further gap between typical crafting occupations and less typical ones.
    • The only way for non-crafters to get a hold of T2 vanity items is to buy them from crafters.
    • Currently, crafters don't have T2 vanity items because they can just sub in T1 materials for any bad roll they make.
    • This makes it so the only thing players can buy in any abundance are T1 items, which merchants already have infinitely available to them.
    • Since this is all that's readily available, merchants for the most part can only appraise T1 items, making T2 uniques practically out of the question.
    • The price of a merchant's craft is already restrictively high, as it requires both an item and a material of appropriate level to craft

Let me know if you have any questions or comments on my thoughts. I'm happy to be a part of the conversation.