<<Colder Shadows>> Avalanche (PP-F4) Winik

Hidden stood upon the fourth floor, already prepared with her gear. Her hood masked her facial features from view and her dagger was tucked inside her cloak's sleeve. She was nearing tier two quickly, but she needed to get there faster. She had business on this floor, and she was going to go on ahead and take on avalanche. She was now a high enough level that it would be rather easy to take on, but she had other duties to take on. Domarus was in need of followers, and had told her to keep a good eye out for strong, loyal, and trustworthy players that might come her way. Taking her chances, she put up a notice, mentioning that she was wanting assistance in taking the avalanche quest. That was ought to bring a player or two her way and she would begin to see if they were good enough. With her luck they would be useless snobs. She waited, the cold  creeping into her cloak. This floor was quite cold, but she perferred it more than the fifth or ninth floor. Those floors came straight out of hell itself. She wondered who would come to aid her. Little did they know that she could probably take this boss entirely by herself.

(I hate first posts lol)

@Winik

Edited by Hidden

Winik strode through the fourth floor, holding his arms across his chest. 'It's so much colder than the first floor,' he thought, sniffling as he walked. He checked the mini map in his menu, trying to locate the one who posted the help ad. 'I don't know if they'll accept my help, I'm really low leveled,' he thought to himself miserably. But holding onto hope was good for many things, maybe this was one of them. The cursor on his map flashed and he looked up. A player was standing there, fully cloaked. "Either they're a mass murderer, or they thought to dress for the weather," he muttered to himself, raising his hand. "Are you the one posting for help?!," he called out, trying to be heard over the wind.

Hidden awaited for someone to arrive, but she slowly began to grow cold. Her cloak provided little protection from attacks or the cold. It just made her much faster. Soon though, someone arrived. A blond in what appeared to be heavy armor. 'huh. Heavy armor. Could he perhaps be one?' If he was a tank, then she had scored majorly. He came closer and asked if she was the one requesting help. She nodded and replied, "Indeed. The name is Hidden. Pleasure to be of assistance" She told the man. Being pleasant with people definitely was not one of her strong suits, but she knew it was for the better for both of them. "I would like assistance with the Avalanche quest on this floor. It is a larger boss, but with both of us it should not be a challenge" She sent the man a party invite, intending to keep the greetings short. She would find a bit about him on the way, to see if he was suitable or not. If not, then they would finish this quest and part ways their. "What might you name be?" she asked the man politely. So far she had managed to keep any rudeness or harshness out of her words.

@Winik

Teeth chattering, his shaking finger pressed down on the accept button. Hidden's health bar popped into view underneath his own on his HUD. "I-i'm W-w-w-Winik," he forced out through frozen lips that didn't want to comply. The thrill of the hunt was burning through his veins, but still he was frozen to the core. 'Remind me to definitely not set up shop here,' he thought to himself gloomily. He looked the other player over, but her cloak his any defining features from view. 

"A-a-are we h-headed out imm-mmediately?," he questioned shakily. 'God all mighty it's cold!," he screamed in his head. 'I should have picked up better gear for this!"

Winik stomped his feet and rubbed his arms in attempt to feel any warmth. Ice crystals could be seen forming in his hair, it wasn't such a good idea to take a bath before heading out. He cupped his hands around his mouth and breathed into them, the vapor cloud billowing into the air. 'Hopefully it'll get warmer the quicker we move,' he mused.

Hidden would scan the player, gathering the information from his looks. He appeared to be quite cold, shaking and his teeth clattering. She was not as near as cold as he. "Huh. I guess the survival skill actually works. I just feel a cool breeze. A bit chilly, but nothing drastic" He introduced himself as Winik and she turned, away pointing toward the distant mountain. "We have just a bit of a journey ahead of us, but nothing to long. As long as we keep going and don't get caught up in anything, we should be there in about an hour. Perhaps by then, we'll be more comfortable with the floor and eachother" She made a come along motion with her hand and began to walk forward. She brought her hand to her side and snapped her finger. Instantly, a black fox appeared form the shadows and took up the rear of the party, quietly moving behind Winik. "This is Umbra my familiar" Umbra was a black fox, that appeared to be made literally out of shadow. So far she had done well with the new player, but their journey was far from over. He appeared eager, which was a good sign. He appeared sincere which was also good.

@Winik

Winik nodded, his chattering teeth making it to hard to talk. He trudged after her, his boots burying in the deep snow banks. The fox behind him seemed to have no difficulty, almost dancing on top of the snow. 'Little creature has it easy,' Winik thought to himself. 'It has fur doesn't sink into the snow, and it's out of the wind. Meanwhile, I'm near buried and I think I lost feeling in my toes.' He trudged on, trying his best to ease his shivering and generate some warmth. He stuck behind the other player, walking in her footsteps  'This is a little easier,' he thought with delight. He knew he was the strong male but right now that wasn't his biggest worry.  'If I don't get warmer gear, I might freeze to death on this floor. What kind of monster thought of such a thing. He's a sock sadist, Kayaba is.'

Edited by Winik

She kept moving forward, hearing the crunching of the other player's shoes behind her. "So, Winik. What build are you shooting for perhaps?" She asked him. This was an important part of knowing your party members. Their abilities in combat might affect you survival. She he looked ahead toward their target, not looking back at the man. "I am shooting for an assassin build. Its a hybrid build involving heavy DPS and then scouting abilities. Its going to be great after I am done with it all" she told the man. Her build was already quite underway, but the DPS part itself involved took three or four skills to be maxed, and getting mods. That itself was enough SP to get her to Tier three. She then had to go into the scouting route where she needed search and detect and sneak and hide. That would all be a hassle, but she needed to worry little bout those skills at the moment. She turned to check back on him, and he still seemed to be freezing. She would remember to put survival skill required if you want to attend with her. This was just a little bit sad. It might help if he had a little bit better of gear.

@Winik

"I'm s-shooting for a t-tank build," he chartered out. "P-problem is, i-i-it's equipment reliant at l-lower levels."

The movement of their trek was starting to thaw him out a bit, but it was still ungodly cold to him. 'Why did it have to be in the snow? Why couldn't the mobs be on a nice beach somewhere?,' he thought miserably. 

He took her words to heart, however. An assassin build sounds heavily reliant on skills and their mods, the opposite of his buikd for right now. He knew as he gained levels, there were skills available to make tanking easier. He just  didn't know a lot about the skills offered here, but he had someone who might need his help whenever he found her. 'I wonder how she's doing. I hope she's okay.'

His boots crunched through snow, the stuff still falling from the sky. His breath came out in great clouds, but at least he wasn't shivering as much. The trek was doing that much for him at least.

Hidden would look behind her to see Winik still following. He was rather trusting of a mysterious cloaked player that needed help. She could secretly be leading him out to his death, but he still blindly. Her steps in the snow were light, leaving little trail for other players that might follow them. She inhaled sharply as he began to reply. He aspired to be a tank. That was great news. This man was just the person they needed. "A tank build? Not very popular, but quite important. It will take much time to master that particular build. Perhaps I could be of service? With my DPS build, I  could kill the monsters, and you could ensure we don't die. I know a friend who  is pretty good in the DPS field as well. Meeting him would probably do you good as well" She turned back around and smiled smugly. She had played that along quite nice. A tank is just what they needed! Domarus had mentioned before that they needed a tank, and their healer was getting lenient on trying to get better. Things needed to change if things were going to progress. "Finding a good group to be with in this game can be quite helpful"

@Winik

"Are you trying to recruit me?," Winik questioned.  'A group could be useful,' he thought to himself. 'I still haven't been able to find her, maybe they could help.' Winik jogged, trying to catch up to his temporary compatriot.  "Do you guys have resources I could use? Particularly with help finding someone?," he questioned her.  Her familiar was still scampering in the snow behind him, but he kept losing track of the little critter.  As he made contact with her, he couldn't help but to notice the lingering traces of a smug look on her lips.  "I know how difficult tanking can be. A lot of people go for the DPS build because they like fighting the boss.  But who does that leave to protect the squishies? They all go into the fight bold and cocksure, but they all get taken out by the boss's first hit.  There's no greater feeling than being the one to stop that blow, and to laugh right into the boss's face?"

Hidden turned as he asked if she was trying to recruit him. Her smile faded. 'Has a head as well. Very nice' She cleared her throat and answered, "Not particularly. I was just thinking of how valuable you would be. Tank, level headed, determined. All good qualities for a player. If you would like, I can introduce you to that player and you could meet the so called 'group'. I mean, truthfully. What good is a tank with nothing to protect?" She left that there for a moment and all was silent for a second. He then asked a rather strange question. "Why yes. I guess you could say. One of us is a scout, and I am sure he could locate someone quite well, and if not he could find someone that could" She answered, carefully moving around her words. She was saying nothing but the truth, which gave them at least a solid ground to walk on. "Looking for someone?" She answered calmly. It was strange for one person to lose another, but perhaps the other person didn't want to be found. He went on a bit about tanking, with things she could not relate to. Her only thought was, 'protect the squishies' She mused over this for a bit.

@Winik, I will start the fight in my next post.

"Im looking for my, um, cousin," he managed to spit out. "I saved her a place in line to get this game and we said we'd meet up once we got here. I haven't seen her since, we never shared usernames until after the game starts back irl." He raised his arms, entwining his fingers behind his head as they walked. 'The scout person she's talking about sounds like he'll be useful, but I have no clue what she looks like anymore. There are so many ways to modify your appearance here, she very well could look like a completely different person. The only thing that wouldn't have changed would be her short stature." Winik mused to himself, thoughts running ceaselessly through his head. He needed to find Sakura before she got hurt. It was the least he could do for someone he considered family. He looked at his compatriot , their cloak obscuring their figure. 'The only thing I know about her is she's a girl,' he reminded himself. 'This group could be a trap.'

Hidden would frown as he would spit out that he was looking for his cousin. He told her that she and he had gotten the nerve gear together, but never shared usernames. He also had little idea what she would look like by now. "Huh. That will be interesting to find. I am sure it will take some time, but I am also sure that it can be done" She looked down into the valley where she seen their target. "I spy our target just down into the valley. We must be quick and bring it down rather quickly" she told the man. She flicked her wrist and her dagger came out of the hidden sheath in her cloak. She smiled, enjoying once more the thrill of battle. She darted down into the battle, her weapon bringing forth a deep orange light. The giant icy beast stood in front of her, looming. It caught sight of her, but its actions were slow. She kicked off of its oncoming arm and made a move to launch herself at the creature. Its arm was slippery, and her footing was off. Her attack was off and she landed softly onto the ground. "It is rather slippery. Bad for footing"

85362 BD:1 MD:7

Hidden 440/440 <> 43/44 | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 7 DMG | 1 Bleed | 1 Para. Venom | Phase
Winik XXX/XXX <> XX/XX | XXX

Avalanche 100/100 | 40 DMG

@Winik

Edited by Hidden
  • 2 weeks later...

Winik made his way down the icy slope, his boots sliding in the snowdrifts piled high. He watched as his compatriot made an attempt to attack the mob and cringed when he watched her miss her footing.  His legs sank deeper into the snow as he came into the valley, his movements becoming even further hindered.  With cold, shaking hands, he drew his blade, holding it out in front of him with one arm.   He didn't want to attack, wanting to avoid drawing the aggro of the mob.  In his HUD, he took in the mob's information as it was available.  Its life was high, as was its damage, one hit from it would send Winik spiraling away as a cloud of pixels.  He gulped noisily, his adam's apple bobbing up and down nervously.  His hand shook and he wasn't quite sure it was all from the cold.  He slowly tried to circle the mob, hoping to avoid stepping within its aggro radius as he made his way into its blind spot.

Hidden 440/440 <> 43/44 | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 7 DMG | 1 Bleed | 1 Para. Venom | Phase
Winik 40/40 <> 4/4 | 

Avalanche 100/100 | 40 DMG

Hidden would glance over to Winik to see how he fared. The cold appeared to still bother him and he stood with his sword drawn, but instead of using it, he appeared to be trying to get out of the beasts sight. 'My hero' she though glumly. She moved forward with her dagger, sure of her hit this time. The slender dagger glowed with an angry orange light as she flew forward in a fury. Small puffs of air were seen as it condensed in the bitter air around her. She leapt upward and rammed her dagger into the creature, sending pieces of ice everywhere. Cracks appeared up the side of the creature, showing where the damage had been done. She fell back, flipping through the air before landing on the ground gracefully. Then, avalanche brought his mighty fist crashing to the ground, but she dove to the side. Her cloak was now covered in snow. As Avalanche's fist smashed into the ground, pieces of icy shrapnel were sent in all directions. They had no effect, but a few of them stuck in her, leaving a more icy feeling throughout her body. Without the survival skill, she might have frozen to death already. Well, perhaps you could not freeze to death in this game. 

85834 BD:3 MD:6

DMG:6*7=42

Hidden 440/440 <> 38/44 | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 7 DMG | 1 Bleed | 1 Para. Venom | Phase
Winik 40/40 <> 4/4 | 

Avalanche 58/100 | 40 DMG

@Winik

Edited by Hidden
  • 2 weeks later...

Winik threw an arm over his face, his sword dipping to lay with its point in the snow.  He dropped his arm, staring with wide eyes at his compatriot. "How do you plan on beating this thing?! One hit and I'm wiped out!," he called out, trying to be heard over the sound of the ongoing fight.  As he watched, she flipped through the air and landed some serious blows on the behemoth.  'This thing is no joke,' he thought to himself. 'I don't want her to be the only one dealing all of the damage, but I'm scared.  I don't think I can take it at my current level.' He gripped his sword tighter, crouching slightly and tightening the muscles in his legs.  He sprinted around the behemoth in attempt to make it around to where his compatriot landed.  He slid across the snow, dropping down and sliding through the snow drift.  "I'm not so sure I have what it takes here, I'm a little over my head.  I hate to be a disappointment."

She brushed off the shards that had pelted her and faced the glacial collosal. It was big, but also quite slow and would be a while before it hit her. She seen Winik darting around and making it to her and obviously seemed a bit frightened and disappointed in himself. She ignored him, knowing that self confidence was something she did not have the time to fix for him. She was a bit busy. She darted forward, looking up at her target. She was aiming for the now cracked area in its chest. Her dagger let loose a bright orange light as she neared her enemy. As she neared, the storm seemed to pick up, throwing her off balance. She found that when she was cold, she had less control over the movements of her body. She kicked off Avalanche without producing an attack, which was quite annoying actually. She was wasting time and finally decided to answer Winik's question. "I plan to win by not doing that"

86119 BD:1 MD:3

Hidden 440/440 <> 37/44 | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 7 DMG | 1 Bleed | 1 Para. Venom | Phase
Winik 40/40 <> 4/4 | 

Avalanche 58/100 | 40 DMG

@Winik

Edited by Hidden

ID# 86224

BD: 8

Winik stared up at the colossus, letting various scenarios run through his head.  'I can't let her take all the risks here.  She's done so much for me and I need to pull my own weight,' he chastised himself mentally.  Inhaling deeply, the frigid air filled his lungs and chased away the fear he had remaining.  He held his sword horizontally at his waist, deep purple light blazing to life around his sword.  He let out a scream of frustration, charging the colossus.  He leapt into the air, letting his momentum turn his body.  He started his descent, his blade flashing out in a deadly dance.  His blade struck the creature, a triage of angular slash marks blooming to life as pixels floated into the air.  He crashed into the ground, using his momentum to roll out of the way of the boss before the system assist froze him.  "I landed a few blows, sorry my damage output isn't much!," he called over his shoulder. 

Hidden 440/440 <> 37/44 | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 7 DMG | 1 Bleed | 1 Para. Venom | Phase
Winik 40/40 <> 1/4 | 3 DAM l (-3 EN from attack) 

Avalanche 43/100 | 40 DMG (-15 HP from attack)

Edited by Winik

Hidden grabbed her dagger, mumbling angrily about how she had missed. She watched as Winik got some nerve and charged forward, fighting through the cold and landing a solid blow on the collosus. She smiled as the beast let out a roar and flashed an eye angrily at them. She took one step forward, her foot sinking into the snow just a bit. She took one short puff of breath, watching it condense into the air. Then she charged forward. 

Her speed increased as she neared the glacial giant. Her dagger became enveloped in a blazing orange light, flinging off the glacier body of avalanche. She thrust her dagger forward at it as she got into range. 

Just before impact, her orange light turned into a darkness, smooth but dangerous. Her dagger slid into her enemies body without it restraint. Her dagger took hold and she wrenched herself upward, sliding her dagger up the monsters body. Tendrils of a bright energy shot through her blade and into the monster, but it was already far too late. The monster burst into a pictures of pixels and bits of ice. She landed on the ground smoothly and turned to her ally with a smile. 

"That will be all that is necessary. I shall escort you back to town and. We shall part ways there. No worries,  I do plan on seeing you again. Hopefully, you will be a bit further developed" And with those words, she turned. She then began to head back to Snowfrost town. 

86371 BD:10 MD:1 -- Bleed, Phase, and Paralysis

Winik 40/40 <> 1/4 | 3 DMG

Avalanche 0/100 | 40 DMG (-54 HP from attack)

@Winik

Edited by Hidden
  • 2 weeks later...

Winik's shoulders slumped, his breath coming out in heaving gasps.  Old habits die hard, as they say.  He slung his sword to his right side, before spinning his wrist and driving his blade back into its sheath.  He turned to his compatriot, a smile brightening his features.  "We made it through that one pretty well, didn't we?," he called out, jogging slightly to reach her side.  He listened intently, trying his best to pick up her words over the sound of the rushing wind.  The cold air blew heavily around them, snow piling up in drifts as if to cover the carnage that had just transpired.  "Plan on see me later?  Oh, right.  Does it have anything to do with your group, or something else?," he questioned, not really letting himself worry too much.  He crossed his arms over his chest as the cold suddenly seeped into his bones, chilling him to the core.

@Hidden

Edited by Winik