[F5-PP] Hot and Sweaty in the Desert <<The Traveler>> (Eatos, Vargas)

Fortaleza, one of the few settlements on floor five. Outside the sandstone walls lay barren wasteland of desert and cactus. Here, in this city, is where Vargas sat, waiting. His Sunstone Fox cloak was equipped, despite the heat, as the sun and sand on his face felt worse than the heat did on its own. After finishing looking through his equipment, he checked the message he’d sent once more.

Spoiler

Hey Eatos,

Was wondering if you'd like to assist me on a simple quest on floor five. Figured it'd help you raise your level as well. The quest in question is <<The Traveler>> and will award us both with a new skill called <<Survival>> from what I've gathered. It helps with harsh environmental conditions and could be very helpful on the higher floors. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Vargas

Seeing that there didn't appear to be an issue with the message he sat back comfortably against the wall and waited.

@Eatos

Edited by Vargas

The...fifth floor. Eatos couldn't stop a defeated sigh as she arrived on that very floor. She had no idea why Vargas wanted her help, but she figured, what was the harm? HOW ABOUT THE STUPID HEAT!?

She hated it already and she'd just arrived. It was harsh and mean and hot, unlike back home which was cold and peaceful. Still, she'd promised that she would be able to help others in her guild. If someone in her guild said they needed her help, then she'd help. It was as simply as that. She hadn't sent a message back to Vargas, mostly because she forgot to. She'd said goodbye to Angel, her familiar. She wasn't going to bring a Husky familiar into the DESERT! So she'd left her behind and came alone. 

It wasn't hard to spot the Fox of the guild, and she smiled as she approached him. "Heya foxy, you wanted to do a quest?"

Vargas’s fox ears perked up as he heard Eatos approaching. It was strange having the ears as he could actually feel them as if they were his own. Looking up, he smiled, “Sup Eatos. Yeah, the quest isn't hard but I have to look for an NPC’s precious cargo that she left hidden in the desert. So I figured an extra pair of eyes would help.” Standing up, he lead the way, his fox tail subconsciously swaying as he moved. As they walked, Vargas said, “supposedly the quest will likely take the whole day to complete. So I hope you're still willing to do the quest. Wouldn't want to keep you from any plans you might already have.” It wasn’t long before they reached the city gates that would lead them out in the barren desert and the sandy winds. Passing through the gates, he asked, “So what have you been up to? I know haven't kept up communications in awhile.”

The girl looked at his fox attributes, she couldn't help it. She'd always liked them, always wanted to pet them, although, that would be weird if she did... 

"So, we have to go hiking through the desert in this weather?" she said, as if asking the obvious. It wouldn't be hard to tell from the look on her face that this wasn't something she did often. That or she must have eaten something that disagreed with her horrible. "Well, i haven't got any plans, it isn't nothing too bad just...its gunna be hot" She glanced up at the sun, she would do it, didn't mean she was looking forward to an entire day in blistering heat! 

She followed in to the gates, smiling slightly up at him "Oh, nothing too much. Actually, i got myself a familiar yesterday, a Husky puppy on the 4th floor. Angel, oh she's just the cutest, i'll bring her to the next guild meeting, she's just an absolutely adorable little thing"

“Angel? Nice. Sounds like a plan. What traits does she have as a familiar?” Vargas asked, wondering about what familiar he should still get. He hadn't taken the time to get one yet, as he was busy raising his levels and completing other quests. If he were to get one, it’d be best to find one that could help him get stronger. That would be preferable but if he could at least find a companion then that'd be nice as well.

As they exited the city gates, Vargas pulled the hood of his cloak lower, so as to reduce the sand being blown about from getting in his face. “You might want to wear your cloak. It shouldn't make you overly hot but it’ll help prevent the sand from getting in your face,” Vargas called out to Eatos. The winds seemed to be heavy today, the sands rippling over the dunes like waves over an endless sea of yellow.

Trekking out, away from the city, the pair made their way over the dunes as they traveled. With the fact that it was supposed to take a day and night to find the cargo, Vargas wasn't worried about looking for the cargo until around nightfall. For now, they’d make their way in the direction of the cargo.

ID# 86946

CD: 5

Edited by Vargas

"Other than being hyper active and adorable? She's got a Crafting Mastery, meaning she helps me out at the store" the girl explained as she walked along side Vargas. She did miss her pup in the real world, and while Angel wasn't a replacement, she would cover the hole that Gluttony made when she was forced into this form of reality.

Of course, those pleasant thoughts went away when the sand starting kicking up! She heard Vargas suggest she use a hood to protect her face, which would have been brilliant advice, IF SHE HAD ONE! While her uniform did have a coat, it lacked anything to cover up her face and she was forced to use her arms to protect her face the best she could. "D-damned Sand!" She yelled in frustration as it was harder to see where she was walking with the sane in her eyes so often, she was even struggling to see Vargas at certain points "Didn't have this crap back home..." she complained as she trudged forwards.  

Spoiler

Roll: 86956

CD: 3

Result: No damage from Sandstorm

Edited by Eatos

The wind blew sand in their face, making it harder to see as everything in sight became a whirlwind of dirt. His hood covered his face fairly well, so he paused to open his inventory and pulled out his leather coat. “Here, use this to shield your face some, it should help,” Vargas said as he handed the item over to her.

——————————————————————-

Memory-

“Kyle, wait up. You're gonna make me lose my umbrella,” Natalie whined as she chased after him, the rain coming down on top of them. Kyle stopped and turned to her, waiting. As Natalie started to catch up, the wind picked up and ripped her umbrella out of her grasp. Reaching for it, she was unable to catch it as it was blown away. Kyle walked over and held his umbrella over the two of them while holding her close so that the two were completely under it. “Guess we better get to my house before this gets any worse.”

ID# 86963

CD: 7

Edited by Vargas

The girl was greatful as Vargas offered her something to help hide her face from the sand. She put the coat on, pulling the hood up over her face. While she did still have to use one arm to shield herself, the other arm was free and she was slightly less pissed at the sand. Of course, she was still pissed off. Back home, the storms were snow, but she loved snow and it was survivable. This sand was annoying and just really pissing her off! 

"Thanks Vargas, this sand is just so different to what i'm used to" She said, thanking him as she looked over with her amber eyes, a soft smile tugging at her lips despite the anger that also boiled onto her face for being in the sand "Back home, only storms we had were made of snow and were great fun. Snowball fights and rides...I miss being a kid sometimes, just for those memories" But she wasn't a kid anymore, and she was trapped in a game. These were facts she had to remember, and she found herself staring at Vargas absentmindedly. 

Spoiler

Roll: 87056

CD: 11

Result: No damage from sandstorm

Edited by Eatos

The ears on Vargas’s head flicked at the wind before laying flat as the wind picked up more. The cloak made things a little warmer but had turned out to be a better exchange when blocking out the sand. He watched as his feet with each step he took part the sand underneath. Rippling waves passing him by as they trudged over the dunes.

He merely nodded his head as she thanked him. “Well, how about I make it up to you and we can go down to floor 4 and play in the snow there after we’ve completed the quest?” The though of the sheer difference between each floor was strange. The first floor was plain, as it was the starting floor. Then you had a vast mountainous region on floor two. Once again, plains on floor three, but you instantly went to a winter wonderland on floor four. Followed by the exact opposite, a vast floor of dunes and heat. It made Vargas wonder who had been on Kayaba’s design team to think that changing floors from one look to another with such a degree of difference was great. Each floor was amazing to look at, but when he looked back at it, it seemed a bit over the top.

———————————————————————————

Memory-

Stepping into the foyer, Kyle shook off his umbrella before closing it. His coat was soon off as he hung it up on the coat rack before kicking off his shoes. Looking back, he saw Natalia having done the same thing. “You're welcome to whatever you want in the fridge. I can have someone take you home after the rain lets up, unless you want to call someone.” Natalia shook her head and smiled brightly at him, her amber eyes gleaming back at him. “No, that's fine. Thank you. I’ll just wait.” With that, she walked into the main room and sat on the couch as she turned on the tv before grabbing s book from her bag.

ID# 87060

CD: 12

No Damage

Edited by Vargas

The girl nearly missed Vargas's suggestion, but the grin on her face made it clear she had indeed heard it. "I'll consider it" she said as she stumbled forwards through the sand, struggling due to just how weird it was to walk upon it. She glanced over at Vargas, and that's when she noticed he. He seemed dazed, as if he wasn't entirely there with her in the desert. Was he hating this as much as she was, or was something else consuming his mind? She didn't know the fox well enough to be able to answer that question herself, nor did she feel that asking that question was a good idea. 

However, trying to analysis Vargas, she wasn't watching where she was walking and managed to successfully find something. A rock, for her to trip over. She crashed into the sand and rolled down a small dune, where she let groaned. It was hot, and took far too much energy to be angry and annoyed. She just picked herself up, and looked around for Vargas. She couldn't see him, had she lost him?! She felt fear bite at her, if she got lost out here....

Spoiler

Roll: 87077

CD: 2

Result: No damage from sandstorm

Edited by Eatos