[F1-NK-PP] The Morning After

As the light started to shine into the bathroom window, Volcanic stirred. Her eyes blinked open, and her body gave an involuntary shiver as she realized that she was sitting in freezing cold water. Her teeth chattered a bit and her body ached from sleeping in the hard tub, even if the sleep had still been better than anything she had done within the past few months. She quickly reached for a towel as she kicked the plug to drain the cold bath water, and stumbled out of the tub, dumping herself on the floor and wrapping the towel around herself to try to get some warmth on her again. The sun shining through the window helped a bit as she toweled off and with a groan remembers that she had set her clothes to soak last night as well.

After a few moments huddled on the floor wrapped in her towel, she managed to find her feet and stretched with a yawn. She drained the water in the sink, and waved her clothes to try to air dry them. This process took her what felt like an eternity, but she managed to get them on again with them only being slightly damp rather than soaking wet. She sighed and gave another shiver as she pulled on her boots, which were thankfully completely dry, and made her way out of the room. As she locked the door behind her, she saw other equally as sleepy players all shuffling around for the morning, some of which looked to her and smiled, some even giving a light wave. Volcanic waved back and smiled at them, happy that she was no longer receiving looks of scorn due to being a grimy homeless girl.

She followed them down as everyone made their way to breakfast, and joined in the line as a cook happily threw eggs and meat onto plates for everyone. Volcanic's stomach grumbled as she watched everyone else get the food, and had to resist the urge to tear into her food right as she received it. The smell was practically taunting her as she made her way to an empty table and finally allowed herself to start mercilessly gobbling up her food. It wasn't the greatest thing she had eaten, but at after eating stale bread for months, it was practically heaven.

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic

Ruby had woken up from her inn room with a yawn, and wiped her eyes and slowly had opened them, she had looked around the room and tried to remember why she decided to sleep on this floor last night... was there a quest she wanted to take today? Or did she just wanted to hang out for the day? Either way she was okay with it, she had sat up and slid out of bed stretching her arms upward into the air going into the bathroom of the room and taking one more shower before she would head out for the day. After her shower had been done, she had decided to get a bite to eat and maybe even a drink. Ruby had walked down to the pub part of the inn and sat at a table wearing her nightgown, as a waiter had arrived she had ordered just a basic bacon and eggs breakfast but with a sweet wine to go along with it, if the food is going to be free she might as well get the best out of it.

@Volcanic

OOC: The nightgown picture she doesn't look like the anime girl, just the nightgown looks like that. :P

If Volcanic hadn't known any better, she'd have thought herself turned into a vacuum cleaner, as she downed her food in record time. Her stomach still grumbled at her, but it was hard to tell if that was because she was still hungry, or because she had eaten too fast. She decided it would be the former, whether her stomach liked it or not. So she left to get more eggs and meat, and maybe some potatoes as she noticed the cook had made more food once the line had died down. Volcanic scooped hearty portions of the food onto her plate and turned to look back at her table only to see that some girl in her nightgown had taken it. She blinked, although she supposed that she hadn't really claimed the table in any way. Still, it had happened so fast. Slowly, she slinked back over to the table, before awkwardly standing there with her plate of food watching the woman with some wine along with her eggs and bacon. Idly, Volcanic chewed on a piece of sausage while unabashedly staring at the girl who had taken her spot, but not really saying anything.

@Ruby

Ruby had eventually gotten her food and wine and a player had suspiciously had been looking at her as she had slowly took a seat, which she could only assume that she had accidentally stole her seat and or table. "Oh did I accidentally steal your seat? You have my apologies, I'll move to another table." she had offered a smile and simply picked up her food and drink and moved it to another table that was close by, she didn't want to be that girl who would accidentally steal a table and just not give it up, it was not something that she wanted to be, she simply just wanted to be a nice person was all, she had picked up her plate of food and the glass of wine to the table next to the player, going to mind her own business. She began to eat her eggs and bacon and took sips of her sweet wine, enjoying the virtual world life it had seemed.

@Volcanic

Volcanic watched as the woman she had been staring at moved, believing correctly the reason behind Volcanic's stare. Still munching on her sausage, she watched the girl eat at the next table over, before moving around the table she had been sitting at to sit across from the woman she had made move. She put her plate down and eased into the seat across from her, before finishing her sausage and still staring. Finally, once she had gulped the meat down, she said softly, "You didn't have to move. I didn't mean to be so awkward. I'm... uh... very new to all of this." The last bit made her cheeks gain a bit of a reddish hue as she broke her stare to look at her food and dig into her potatoes. There was that part of her that cared that she was probably eating very unnattractively, but she also wasn't here to impress. She was just hungry. Finally, after shoveling down more potatoes she said, "I can leave if you want," without looking up from her food.

@Ruby

Ruby had looked back as she had began to move her stuff to the table that was next to her, she had stated that she doesn't need to move she was just new with this whole situation and recognized that she had been a little awkward. And even started to blush a little bit, "God damn it..." she thought to herself with a chuckle, her one weakness a cute girl blushing, it basically melts her heart. She had shook her head and placed a hand in the center of the table "No no, stay... you are actually pretty cute." she had giggled taking a sip of her sweet wine. She had taken a moment to eat up a bit before looking back up to her saying "Since you are here, would you be opposed with getting to know each other? Like, what's your name?" she had wondered, she just wanted to see if she would open up in any way shape or form.

@Volcanic

Volcanic had managed to finish all of her potatoes by the time the woman spoke to her. She was caught more than a little off guard as she shoved eggs into her mouth and looked up like a squirrel storing nuts in its cheeks. She gulped the food down quickly and scrambled for a napkin as she considered that a girl had just called her cute. Which was odd, because she was entirely sure that she was eating about as unnattractively as possible. She blinked as the reddish hue flushed her cheeks once again, before going back to finishing her eggs. Once done with those, she looked back up and said, "Volcanic. I don't... I've been... uh..." she floundered over the idea of actually admitting that she had been homeless until recently, before nervously shoving another sausage in her mouth and chewing on it as she considered her next statement. Swallowing, she finally blurted out, "I'm new to MMOs... I've never played one before this one. What's your name?"

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic

Volcanic had simply had been scarfing down food, while in the midst of her calling her cute, while she would had found this otherwise kind of iffy, however this time around she had simply found this silly. However after she was done eating her food she had then introduced herself... her name was Volcanic, what a... unique name, it was certainly one that she hadn't heard of before... definitely a "I have one name" kind of username. Then she had gone on to explain that she hadn't played any form of MMO's before this one, and while that's understandable its also kind of unfortunate that this one was her first, especially since it could be her last. Ruby had smiled and said to her "Never played a MMO before now huh? Even still I am real person ya'know. I am pretty sure you a little experience with talking to people. Also my name is Ruby! It's a pleasure to meet you Volcanic!" she had offered a smile and giving her a chance to speak.

@Volcanic

Volcanic stared at Ruby a bit like a deer caught in headlights. Idly she patted her plate for another sausage, but there was nothing left, no more food. She cursed mentally, but was glad that at least her stomach had stopped rumbling. At least if she did have to go back to stale bread, she had one good meal. Well, either way she had no more sausage to save her. A part of her wished she had a drink. Or a script. Or notes. It was as if the months in the alley had made her forget how to socialize properly. She blinked again before saying, "I don't have a lot of friends. I don't make them easy. Most of my talking is in front of crowds of people. With a script." She figured that was ambiguous enough that Ruby wouldn't immediately know what she did. Or that she would guess that Volcanic was an actress. Either was fine with her. Talking about real life made her miss her dad.

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic

Ruby had chuckled, of course she had lack of experience with this sort of thing, Ruby had then spoke up to her "Look Volcanic, heres the thing about this game. It's bringing many MANY players together, even some that strives with helping people. Why do you think the food here is free? Because most of the time other for the rooms at times they provide little profit, all it does is provide happiness to yourself in this world. Players around and helping others remain happy and provide a sense of keep moving forward in this world, so just a little meal like this can go a long way. Although despite the fact that there are player killers, our community is still a rather powerful and friendly one. " she looked down she had a little bit of food left in which she had then finished along with her drink, even though she basically drank a whole gulp rather than taking a sip which followed by a burn taste, but she didn't really mind it if it meant finishing up the meal.

@Volcanic

Volcanic still wished she had something to munch on. The idea of this game bringing many people together was a noble thought, but only if one could leave and go home to their normal life. Again, she considered her father, and with a pang realized that the man must be worried sick. Not only were they stuck in a different country, but his only daughter could die in a game where he had no power to help or save her. Volcanic didn't pretend to have any real worldly knowledge. She was book smart and relied on her dad for all of the wisdom outside of what she learned in school. But she couldn't even call him to ask for advice. She was alone with others who were just as scared as her, although that's not how this Ruby woman made it sound.

Volcanic's eyes fell to the table and she thought of the past few months in the alley. The looks people gave her for not doing anything but hiding. Being too scared to move forward. Her eyes welled up and teardrops fell onto her plate, mixing with the sausage grease to make odd little puddles there. "If the community of this game is so powerful... so friendly... why am I trapped in this prison still?" Volcanic accused. She looked up at Ruby, her eyes burned with anger as the tears continued to stream down her face, "If you're all so helpful, why did it take months for a homeless shelter volunteer to even tell me how the beginner quests worked? The only reason you're here talking to me is because I've had a bath and I'm not some grimy girl waiting to be saved from this hell!" Volcanic shouted, and out of the corner of her eyes watched some players look and then avert their eyes from the girl. Lowering her voice, Volcanic finished with, "You can spray deodorant on a pile of crap all you want to. But it's still a pile of crap. I still can't see my dad..." she said seething. A mixture of anger and pain roiled up inside of the girl as she stared into Ruby's eyes, who casually sipped her food and wine.

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic

Ruby had watched as a mental breakdown as it were was leaving her system about the whole ordeal about our community being friendly enough, and even ending with a statement about no matter how you polish it its still one thing ordeal. She had looked at Volcanic calmly as she had finished her food and drink and told her "Look. I never said that players would know anything about you. The only way for you to know these things is if you asked, everyone is here to help you if you asked. No one here is looking around for everyone who doesn't have these things openly available to them. And even if you cannot see you dad, things could be even more worse, like on my end, I moved to Japan to a new company at this point I am sure I don't even have that job anymore, I cannot see anyone I once knew from the outside world unless they are all in here. Almost everyone here is fighting for the same reason. We are all under the same circumstances, and its truly up to you to see this as hell. Because many would agree and disagree with you." she moved the plate and the glass towards the waiter "Now, with this being said. Are you going to keep being upset about it, or are you going to do something about it?"

@Volcanic

Ruby seemed unmoved by Volcanic's outburst. But why should she be? Nobody helped her then, why would they start now? Ruby talked about how nobody knew her. Ruby was right, how could anyone have known that the grimy girl in an alley needed help? It took months before the homeless shelter volunteer even told her how to crawl out of the gutter. Volcanic stood up as the drops continued to fall on the plate, splashing little drops throughout the food residue there. "You're right. I guess I should have asked, because apparently being a grimy girl living in the alley ways didn't make it obvious enough that I was scared. That I needed help. Thanks for clarifying that for me."

Her eyes were still watery, but the tears had mostly stopped as she looked around. A couple players seemed concerned about her table, but for the most part everyone had moved on. Perhaps it was time Volcanic did the same. She picked up her plate before looking Ruby dead in the eyes and said, "I'm going to fight. For the kids like me who can't go home. For the parents and brothers and sisters worried about us. You say you and everyone fights for the same thing, but you weren't there, when someone like me needed help. A friend. You're just sitting here drinking your wine and going on about the 'free' food."

Volcanic broke her stare and started to walk away, but without looking back said, "Try living in the gutter for months and saying all the things you said. Come to where I used to live and say to all those people that everyone is here to help. You'll be lucky if you aren't torn apart." Volcanic dumped her plate with with the other dirty dishes upon her final words and left the dining area.

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic
  • 2 weeks later...

Ruby blinked, she sat there and accepted the words that came out of her mouth and sat their for a moment as she had left for what it felt like a week but truly was only a few moments. Ruby definitely screwed the pooch on this one and she'll admit to her own faults, she twitched for a moment and stood up and ran to Volcanic. She exclaimed out to her as she had finally caught up "Volcanic please! Wait a sec!" she took a moment to take a deep breath and look up to her "I'm sorry, I guess I should have gave it a little more thought. I understand how you feel. I used to know nothing about this for a great amount of time, and I had someone help me or quote on quote help me to get up in levels. However... well, not too long ago, I found out that he was tricking me into building a certain build path and getting the items he would need down the line... and well, it was either hand up the items and pretty much everything I got, or accept death. And well, I don't know about you. But... I want to live." she looked down ashamed of herself "I'm just.... sorry..."

@Volcanic

As Volcanic had ended up walking entirely out of the inn, though hadn't gotten far down the street, she was more than a little surprised to hear Ruby's voice calling out behind her. She paused, and in an instant had considered still walking. Had considered running away from the woman. Her eyes still burned with the lingering remnants of the tears in her eyes. The tears that nobody except those still waiting in line for soup or stale bread would understand.

Finally, her face a mask, she turned to watch Ruby run up to her. Winded, the woman explained her apology, and Volcanic's eyes regarded her as the words mulled over in her mind. The gears in her head turned slowly as she thought about what her next action should be. What she should trust, and who. She listened to Ruby's tale of loss, and continued to regard her with cold eyes, before finally feeling her heart flutter and settle, as she looked away with a sigh. "Okay, I understand. Honestly, I get that much at least. The desire to live is what kept me a gutter rat for so long."

The thought that players could do what they did to Ruby wasn't a foreign one. Occasionally she would hear stories float through the shelters or the alleys of another of the homeless kids getting roped off into working as a lackey or sidekick to another player, only to be robbed for all they worked for and possibly killed. Or they would show up days later, downtrodden and crying, wishing with the rest of us that they could go home. She wondered if they would ever be able to venture out of the alleys again, and thought not. Many people didn't have the strength to leave once, let alone twice.

Volcanic continued to look to the side with a sheepish frown, before finally rubbing the back of her neck and saying, "I'm sorry I overreacted so much. Your story rings true with a lot of the rumors that floated around the alley ways. And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you." She still wasn't entirely sure what to make of Ruby, but she knew that at the very least, it appeared that the woman wasn't going to cause anymore of a fuss, and so Volcanic wouldn't either. Finally, Volcanic looked back to Ruby, her eyes still a bit red and puffy from the crying, "So, what do you plan to do if you have to basically start over again?"

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic
  • 2 weeks later...

Ruby had thought about Volcanics last question for a moment, she basically HAD to start all over, yet its going to be harder because of her level, sure she finally got a Rank 5 in a weapon skill, its still going to be hard for her to even take down the enemies without much struggle. After a moment, the answer and become simple for her "Well, I basically do have to start over since I have nothing. Even though I have nothing to my name, no matter how high my level is and how hard it would be to get back on track. I must get back to where I was. Even if it will kill me..." she had sighed, she had looked to Volcanic and said out to her "What about you, you now are aware of the quests that are out there. And if you ever wish to know more, there are Information Brokers that can give you that information. What is your gameplan? Going to the front lines or somewhere along those lines? A guild maybe?"

@Volcanic

If Volcanic was being honest with herself, she realistically had no idea what she was doing. She didn't have any trouble with the first quest, but what about when they got harder? Could she handle combat? Volcanic didn't want to die. She had to make it home to her father. She had to become a lawyer and put to use all that she had worked for. How pointless would it be to die to some stupid game? She couldn't let that happen, and that was about all she knew. And so that was what she told Ruby, "I just need to survive. That's all that really matters. For a long time I thought that was just wait until the game ended, but it's clear that it won't end without more people working on ending it. Which means taking risks."

Volcanic gave a light shiver, and thought about the dangers that awaited outside. The idea of an angry boar goring her and her never waking up from this nightmare. It was almost too much to handle, but she had to. She needed to escape one way or another. "I guess that means I have to fight," she admitted, though she hated the idea. "I'm less worried about doing quests, so long as I can help everyone get out of here somehow. I'll figure out the rest as I go, I guess." She shrugged, and looked off into the distance with a sheepish frown on her face. She wished she had a better answer, but she knew so little about these types of games that she didn't even know how to begin formulating a plan of attack.

@Ruby

Edited by Volcanic