[F1-PP] Food for Thought «Earning a Living»

Letting a sigh, Kaya rubbed her stomach as she stared down to the ground. It's only been a few hours since Kayaba made his announcement and now she's feels the hunger surge through her. Of course the game didn't leave her completely empty handed, but she didn't want bread and water. She wanted something with substance. Something with meaning and flavor. Something... As Kaya grew lost in thought, her nostrils catches a whiff of something in the air. "What is that?" She thought as her mouth began to salivate. Her thoughts grew wild on what it could be. "Roast beef? Ribs? No... Thit Heo Nuong Xa? Impossible, in this game?! There's no way there could be vietnamese bbq here." As she crept closer to the  source of the smell, she quickly learned where it came from. A small restaurant who's barbecuing some pork just on the side in front of it's customers. Her mouth salivated some more at thought of just eating some of that. "Oh god... that smells so good, I want some!" She thought as she crept ever closer. Once she reaches the chef who was busy cooking, she reaches her hands out to tap him on his shoulders. "E-excuse me, could I have some of that?" Her voice was feeble. She wasn't comfortable with this. This was awkward and embarrassing, but she's desperate.

The chef turned our quickly. A scowl was plastered on face. His eyes glaring at Kaya. "That'll be 10 Col." He says as he continued measuring the frail looking girl. Kaya's already broken confidence broke some more as the NPC mentioned money. The one thing she doesn't have right now. She's spent most of her day just wandering town and enjoying the view. "I-I don't have any money. Is there anything I could do? I-I'm starving..." The chef's eyes measured her some more. Within moments, he let's out, "Here. You can have this for now, but in return I want you to go out find some ingredients." 

Without anymore hesitation, Kaya accepted. Her teeth quickly sunk into the delicious BBQ that the chef just freshly made. She attacked the slab of meat as if she was a beast who hasn't eaten in days. This was the best thing she's eaten in a long time, and who would've guess it came from inside a game.

Edited by Kaya

"You know could've just asked someone for money, I could've payed for it." Rusty remarked, sitting nearby. "10 col is worth like two boars, or something like that." He had been sitting there for a while, mulling over recent events. Although, if he was going to be honest to himself, the only reason he was doing so was because he had nothing better to do. It wasn't until he could make out words from the ever-so present chatter inside that his thoughts were interrupted. He had turned to see the chef giving food to a girl, asking for food. "Also, there's no hunger bar, you won't actually die of hunger in this game. Now you're stuck in some crappy side quest." He paused for a second. "Do you know how to get materials? Cause you'd need to leave the safe zone to do so and probably kill some monsters while you're at it. If you're even strong enough.."

@Kaya

Chowing down on the grub that sat before her, Kaya hears comments just from a few feet away. "Buh I welly waned iiihh." Her voice, muffled by the food stuffed in her mouth. It was very unladylike from far what she was taught, but she's been just feeling hungry. After finally pushing down the food and swallowing. "I really wanted it. I figured I'd ask straight from the source." She says before grabbing a few more bits. "I know there's no hunger bar, but don't you feel hungry? I haven't eaten all day cause I really wanted to play this game already." She kept talking with mouth full, but this time, her words are more comprehensible. After a quick gulp of water, she looks back at the stranger. "Also, it maybe a side quest but so long as there's food and money involved I'll happily do it." A silly smile plastered on her face, she was fully satisfied with the meal. "So how do you get materials anyways?"

@Rusty

She acted a lot younger than she appeared to be, especially since she was acting on impulse based on what she's saying. "No, not really." He sighed. It was a side quest that did end death for a lot of low-leveled players. A lot of people felt like they were strong enough to take on the boars of Floor 1 by themselves and then ended up dying. "You either kills mobs or search for it, although killing mobs gives you a much higher chance of finding one or more while searching is tedious and only gives you one but is safe. Also, forgot to mention, but this quest decides what profession you are going to be. I guess it gave you cook for some reason, although it's the same process regardless of what you choose. He said a few so maybe 5 - 10 materials would be good, although the quest tracks you by time spent for looking instead of the number of materials you manage to retrieve. Probably because it never asks you for a set amount, as you heard back there."

As Kaya tried listen to the player talking to her, she kind lost track of what he was really saying. She had a face as if in awe of something, but really, she has no clue what he was talking about. As he kept talking some more, Kaya added little nods as if understanding what he was really saying. "Soooo.... I just go out there and kill stuff or maybe find it on the ground. Got it!" With those last words, she gave the stranger a thumbs up with a gleeful smile and began marching right out the door. Before she could step outside however, she realized just how weak she is.  Turning to the stranger, "You think you could help me collect ingredients?" The guy had no real reason to help the red head, but she had hoped that he would help. Her eyes looked hopeful, but it slowly grew some more, eventually turning into a puppy stare. "Pweeeeaaassee."

He got the feeling she didn't understand what he about, nothing he said was anywhere near interesting enough for her to have the look on her face. He didn't want to assume because he had just met her and maybe she was just hyper or something, but the thought did arise. Yes, it did. "Yeah, but there's more to th-" And she was gone. "I tried at least." He thought, okay with doing just that as he turned on his seat. Until he heard her voice again. "Oh.." He had planned to ask her if she needed help before she walked off. "Uh.. you don't have to do that look." He said, appearing unaffected by what appeared to be an attempt to act cute. "I've seen those eyes way too many times, I have my sister to thank for that." The thought that she could be mentally disabled went away after that, there's no way this girl could act so air headed and then come back and try to use a puppy stare to coax him. Well, not necessarily, but that was weird enough to raise his suspicions.

"So that's a yes?!" Kaya's face lit up. She wasn't really sure if he'd accept, but to her surprise, he did.....probably. Not giving him anymore chances to talk, she quickly grabs on to the strangers hands and dragged him out of the cafe heading straight to the fields of the first floor.

"Right... So where to from here?" She questioned the stranger as she kept moving from place to place. Looking high sand low for something that could resemble ingredients. It didn't take long for the red-maned girl to find something. "Ooooh! What's this?" Holding up a green leaf to the sky, she waves her other hand to the stranger. I found something already!" Her face lit up like the sun in the sky. She quickly stores, the mint leaf in her inventory. Soon after, she looks back to the stranger and gives him a big grin and a peace along with it to boot. "Hhehehe..."

ID# 87211 results: Loot: 16

Materials | 1

@Rusty @Hidden

Edited by Kaya

OOC: Are we all at Level One at this point or....

Hidden slunk around the shadows of the first floor. She was to be trapped here. She felt afraid, but other that that, indifferent. She had no one so far, as she came with no friends. She never really had any in the real world, but some of her school enemies might be here. This was a death game, and if she seen them, she would happily bring them to their death's. The chances were low, but she savored that happy thought. At the moment, any happy thought was better than none. She had already spent the last few hours grinding alone. She had seen a total of about ten people die already, so she planned to wait until things calmed down so she did not die. Her survival was the most important thing in this game. To get stronger is to not die. OR, another way was to sit in a building and rot and wait for others to finish it for her. Staying weak would be foolish, but at the moment it seemed like a great idea. She could spend the first month or two laying low, but she would not waste today.

Her path brought her out of the city, where many partys of players were splattered around the floor. The closest one was a pair of players. A red haired girl, and a dark haired boy. She quickly brought her hood up, shielding her face from view. She needed to keep her face unknown to her name. If everyone knew your name and the face that belonged to it, anybody could pinpoint you. She grabbed her new dagger, made fresh from the blacksmith, and removed the sheath from her side and tied it to her wrist, allowing the sheath to hide in the sleeve of her cloak. She looked over to the pair of players. Perhaps they had some information she had yet to encounter.

She walked forward to the pair of players and said, "Hello.... Perhaps might I ask what you are doing? Most players are out farming monsters, but you two remain here" That felt and sounded awkward. Could she try for a social life here? She had never bee good at it. 

@Rusty @Kaya

He didn't even have a chance to speak before being pulled along by her towards the field, although he most likely escaped her grasp halfway there. Still, not wanting to be left behind, he chased after, although by a good distance. He hadn't run in a long time and he was still adjusting to it here. He missed being able to run freely and fast, the wind rushing by his face as he sprinted and the rush of adrenaline that he felt. While it was exhausting to catch up to Kaya and he felt like he was going to die, it felt good. Although he didn't because he didn't want other to see, he felt the urge to smile.

Kaya had found a material with ease, almost too quickly. He decided to pitch in to help her cause and find some more material, but nothing really turned up as he searched. There had to be many lying around, he just couldn't see it. He sighed, scratching the back of his head as his eyes darted upwards to look at the fields that seemed to go on forever. Dots littered the horizon, some bigger the other, but all over. Looming on the horizon to the south was the Town of Beginnings while mountains reigned supreme over it, from the northeast to the northwest. He had never seen a place like this floor and especially not to this scale. It was strange how real it felt, almost as if this was another world he was standing in. The grass, the flowers and the leaves on the trees rustled in the virtual wind, the same wind that left a crisp touch to his skin. The grass felt smooth and slippery to touch while the dirt itself felt moist and full of life that didn't exist. The existence of Aincrad was morbid but beautiful at the same time. This could very well be his tomb, but what was wrong with dying in such a beautiful landscape, one that seemed to surpass the real one. The real world was violent, painful, grim place. All of this felt quiet and serene, there was no talking, honking, yelling and certainly, there were no noisy trains to interrupt the silence. Just chirping and the wind's hushed whisper. It was perfect.. almost. He gazed upon the landscape, taking it in with a smile that forced its way onto his face. Beautiful...

"Hello.... Perhaps might I ask what you are doing? Most players are out farming monsters, but you two remain here"

The grin on his face disappeared immediately as he turned on his heel to the person who accompanied the voice. The person was hooded, the cloth hiding their face and any concealed weapons and items. He took very little notice to the awkward, feminine tone that they spoke with, acting on his impulses. He equipped his weapon without hesitation, lifting and extending his arm all the way so that the rapier was eye level and pointed directly at the stranger. "Who are you and what do you want?" He asked with a cold and emotionless tone. Their level was much higher than that of Kaya and his, the cloak assisting to the perception that this person was a threat to them both, so he had reason to arm himself immediately. While he knew he most likely would not be able to defeat this player in combat, that girl would at least be able to escape. He did not know her very long or well, but her mannerisms and appearance resembled that of his younger sister. This was most likely why he was acting protective of her now in face of this stranger.

ID# 87235 results: Loot: 5

Materials | 0

@Kaya @Hidden

Edited by Rusty

OOC: Sorry. the notif for this got lost in my notifs. :/

Kaya, didn't really keep an eye on the boy she dragged with her. While he was out searching for material, Kaya was going to do the same that way they could get more worked done. As Kaya searched, it didn't take long until she found another herb just lying on the grass. It's leaves, flowing in the wind as it blew by. With a grin on her face, she quickly grabs the ingredient. It was a Cilantro. For a game based in Japan it sure had a lot of reference coming from outside Japan.

As Kaya stored the item, she hears a voice of a woman echoing from behind her. As she turned around, she sees the boy, unsheathing his weapon and pointing it straight at her. "W-w-wha- Wait!" She frantically threw herself to the middle of the two. "What happened?! Why are you two fighting?" Although stuck in a death game, Kaya had high hopes for humanity. This woman clad in black could yet still be an ally in the future. She looked to both of the players as she slowly got up. Her worried on what might happen. "There doesn't need to be any more deaths today, okay?!" Her fist clenched up close to her mouth as if praying for something.

ID# 87307 results: Loot: 16 = Mat found

Materials | 2

@Hidden @Rusty

Edited by Kaya

As she stood there, the boy turned first, the girl seeming to be in her own world. His face became pale and in the next instant, a sword was pointed at her face. Her eyes darkened, and a smug smile took her face. "If you wish to live, I would suggest getting that sword out of my face, before I get an orange cursor today" The battle seemed to be spared by the girl returning  to the boy's side and asked why they were fighting and inquring that no more deaths needed to occur. She turned to woman and replied, "I have no idea of you companions intentions, I was just trying to say hello. I don't get that well along with other people, I never have. I can see here that its not going to change" She turned away from the players. She should have ended the boy right there, but she felt no need to. She found the tough guy act stupid, but also suicidal. "The name is Hidden. A name you can remember boy.... Point that sword at me again, and it will be the name that you will die to" She began to walk away. She would not be looking for another group. Next time, she would probably strike first and then walk away.

@Rusty

He just stared at her, unfazed by what she was saying. "You know, if you weren't so short and small, I'd actually find that threatening. But coming from you, it's actually kinda cute." He snickered, although his expression faded away when Kaya came back. "I'm not fighting, I just assumed this girl was ready to fight us so I took out my weapon, although now after taking a minute to listen to her I realize I was wrong to assume." He lowered his weapon, but he didn't unequip it. His defensive stance returned back to a lazy slouch. He watched the girl start to walk away from them and listened to what else she had to say. "Yeah, you're hidden alright. Hidden underneath that cloak cause you're too scared to show your face. You sound and act like you're younger and you do know this is a video game right? I'm not gonna take you seriously if you talk like that, I mean its not like you're some crazy hero or legend. You don't even have an orange cursor to scare me with, something you mentioned earlier. Everyone here is a kid, teenager or young adult. I'm probably 2 or 3 years older than you, so I really don't know who you're calling boy." He stops for a second and jokingly points the sword at her before de-equipping it. "Anyway, I'm sorry if I made you feel bad cause I decided to equip my sword. I had to make sure you weren't a threat and I didn't want to caught without my weapon out. You can still say hello or whatever, although preferably without killing me." He said this with a genuine tone even though he expected her to just leave anyway. He had just insulted her so it would make sense if she'd rather just leave.

@Kaya @Hidden

Edited by Rusty

"That's enough!" Kaya glared at the boy. She was angry. Her face, plastered with a scowl. Her fist clenched tightly as she made sure the boy knew she was angry at him. Why instigate a fight if there was none to be had? Cooling off, she takes a deep breath before chasing after Hidden. "Wait!" You don't have to walk away! I'm not like him!" She chased the woman clad in black just for a short distance until finally catching up to her. "L-" She wanted to say something, when a glimmer catching her attention from the side of her eyes. As she turns to it, she only realizes it's just dew on a grass leaf. "Damnit thought that was one, too. Looking back at Hidden, her face fell blank. She had completely forgot what she was going to say. "Uh.."

ID# 87332 results: Loot: 13

Materials | 2

@Hidden @Rusty

Edited by Kaya

Hidden began her walk away, but then the man spoke again. He told her he might find her threatening i she wasn't so short. She turned and glared, "Small?" she asked angrily,  but he kept moving on with his words. He appeared to just start to completely mock her, even mocking her name and her tendency to wear a cloak. Her eyes darkened and her hand gripped tightly on the hilt of her weapon within her sleeve. He even pointed out that he wasn't afraid because she didn't even have an orange cursor. He began to try to apologize, but those words had dimmed out. The other girl grew angry, but had nothing to say other than 'that's enough'. "Yeah, that's plenty" She darted forward, her dagger slashing at multiple angle. Though her attacks usually had pinpoint accuracy, this man was much faster. He quickly ducked away, dodging her attack. She smiled darkly through her hood. "You are fast, I will give you that, but if you think you can sit here and mock me, you aren't going to be alive much longer. Everyone starts at green" Her dagger flashed an angry orange light before she resheathed her dagger.

87364 BD:2-3+3=2.

Hidden 560/560 - 55/56

Rusty 160/160 - 16/16

Edited by Hidden

Rusty let out a sigh, staring at Kaya as she ran off to declare that she wasn't like him. So much for protecting her. It was whatever, he wasn't gonna play damage control. He turned away from the two, choosing to stare off back into the distance. Should he keeping helping her out or go off and do something e- He leaped to the side, barely dodging the barrage of attacks. If he had noticed her any later, he probably would've have died or ended up close to death. The girl had retaliated and with a sword art, most likely her strongest one. The idea that he would be dead where he stood had he not moved when he did shook him slightly. He decided it was best to lay off the ridicule and play it cool. "Everyone does start at green so you should keep it that way. Lucky this isn't real life, you'd be in a lot of trouble." He didn't understand why some people acted so different here, they weren't any less anonymous than the next person. There were definitely logs that recorded the damage and deaths that occurred and if the players escape, the police would definitely have a look at that after. For now, nothing would be done, but that wouldn't last forever. Maybe some people didn't have the strength or guts in real life to act how they do in the game. He would have to make the best of the situation and level up fast to not be at a disadvantage, especially with psychos such as this girl.

@Kaya @Hidden

Kaya watched as the two yelled at each other. Here head moving from one to another. They just wouldn't stop. As she swiveled her head, she spots a glimmer just better the two. Switching to a new focus and filled with determination, she ran after the ingredient before it got destroyed by the two player's bout. Unfortunately, before she reached the item, she tripped, and fell on top of it. Destroying the ingredient instantly. "Damnit." she thought as she laid there.There goes another ingredient. Before come complain more about her lose, she hears here's actual fighting just above her. Kaya couldn't stop the two from fighting. Hidden had managed to get just near enough to pull off a sword art, unfortunately, she miss since the brunette was too nimble. She quickly stood up to her feet. Trying again, she closes her eyes and yells out as loud as she could. "Stop it!" Her fist clenched tightly as is it stood by her side she threw everything into that yell.

ID# 87425 results: Loot: 1

Material | 2

@Hidden @Rusty

Edited by Kaya

Hidden stood there, glaring at the boy that stood a few feet in front of her, he appeared to be a little startled from the encounter, but he hadn't ran off screaming. That satisfied her. She wasn't sure if he was still playing tough, or he was actually quite brave. He said that she would be in trouble if this was the real world. She nodded, "But this is Aincrad, Isn't it. A place, where I can do whatever I want" She watched as the girl bound over for a materials, but ended up crushing it in the process. She quickly analyzed the area, but seen nothing for the girl. She returnd hecontinued, "You are right, I am not the hero or the legend in this story. I don't know what I am yet. I like it here, its been better to me than the real world, and as of now, I am okay with that. Now, I don't  need a know it all brat, telling me who I am, and who I am not, when he can't even back up those words yet with a proper fight. I hope to see you again, once you have become stronger" She turned to the girl who was now yelling. "I think I will dismiss myself now, I am sorry for any trouble I caused you" With that, she actived her Sneak and Hide skill, vanishing before their eyes. This will have left them with no idea where she went as she dashed off and away.

-Hidden is in hiding. LD:12 to find-

87429 LD:1+4

@Rusty

Edited by Hidden