[PP-F1] Fate's Farmhand (Complete)

chop

A blunt chop rang out as his axe struck the tree, and again when he reared the beginner's tool.

chop

Splinters of wood erupted at the point of impact yet his attention never wavered, and he pulled the tool back for yet another strike.

chop!

With a snap, the thin tree - barely taller than Shepherd himself - toppled to the grass with a resounding thud. If lady luck were on his side, a few items would spawn from the wreckage, though his previous his previous attempt at collecting wood hadn't served him so well. As the shards of splintered wood finally disintegrated, Shepherd's big green eyes gazed curiously at the fallen tree, hoping to see just a single plank as a reward for his efforts - no such planks appeared. A slurred groan left the farmer as he placed his axe's handle onto the tree stump and used it as a leaning post, kicking at the dirt beneath his feet. "Christ, I'm not cut out for this..."

His eyes searched the horizon. As far as the eye could see, plains and hills stretched into the distance, and more diverse terrain lied beyond - deserts and valleys, mountains and more. Shepherd wasn't fond of the great expanse, however - not until his levels and equipment could offer a comfortable safety margin. He'd taken to inching ever-so-slightly further outside the Town of Beginnings each day, hoping to one day explore whatever was out there, but for now, the grandiose starting settlement was his home. In order to make his coin and pay for food and shelter, the farmer chopped trees and small bushes for hours at a time, and he'd only recently moved so far from the town's walls.

A lone boar came into his view and he spared a glance at the wandering creature. Usually, he'd pay no mind to the game's weakest enemies, knowing them to be easily avoided. However, something off caught his eye - the outline of a player stood not so far from the creature's path. Shep's eyes betrayed him given the player was lots smaller than expected, and he unassumingly cupped his hands over his mouth and shouted across. "Aye! Watch ye' back, a pig's coming for it!"

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fae had finally decided to venture out the walls of the Town of Beginnings, since she had been getting a bit bored of just sitting around. She needed to get stronger, regardless if it was dangerous. Fae wondered out of the border and equipped her dagger, just in case if something was coming at her. Maybe she didn't even have to fight boars, they could be nice. "Hey boarie boaries! Fae just wants to play with you!" Fae called out at the field of boars.

She did catch the attention of one boar, who came charging at her. Fae didn't notice until she heard someone shout to her that one was coming. Fae turned around to see the boar charging at her and started to panic. She had no clue what to do. She held up her dagger and started to run at the boar as well. "I'm sorry!" Fae cried out as she slashed at the boar. It only did 1 damage, but it was still something.

As soon as Fae hit the boar, she ran out of the way of it's path and it barely missed her. Fae then turned in Shep's direction and waved towards him. "Thank you mister!" Fae called out, waving both her hands.

@Shepherd

Roll ID: 87270

BD: 7 CD: 8 LD: 19 MD: 3

Boar: 9/10 HP

Fae: 20/20 HP 1 Energy

Shepherd: ??/?? HP ? Energy

Edited by Fae

Shepherd grew concerned as the Boar broke into a sprint, and an equally puzzled look took shape as the player returned fire. Her dagger appeared to deal small damage the creature, an observation he could make from watching others fight at a distance, but it obviously wasn't enough to slow the agitated pig.

"Don' worry none!" Shep shouted in reply, now gripping his axe's handle. It might've been the air or something about the game's sound system but from what he could tell, the girl who fought the Boar not so far away couldn't have been older than eleven or twelve. She was holding up for now but if things went sour and he didn't step in to lend a hand, there wasn't any telling if she'd be able to escape... Conflicted between his disinterest in combat and unease for the girl's safety, the man made up his mind and asked aloud. "Do ye' need help lass?" he called out, hints of concern in his voice.

ID: 87274 - BD: 5 (Miss - RP'ed like he hasn't engaged in combat)

Boar: 9/10 HP

[H:1] Fae: 20/20 HP 1 Energy

[H:0] Shepherd: 20/20 HP 0 Energy

@Fae

(Note: If you don't know what the 'H' means, send me a PM and I'll clear it up!)

Edited by Shepherd

Fae kept running towards Shepherd looking behind her every few seconds. If she was going to kill the boar, it would take 9 more hits. She saw the boar turn around and start running towards her again. "Oh no..." Fae said to herself as he got a grip on her dagger and prepared to slash at the boar again.

The boar was faster and drew closer to Fae, who was about 25 yards away from Shep now. Suddenly, the boar headbutted her in the back and knocked her onto the ground, dealing 3 damage. Fae stood up, already looking as though she was about to cry.

"You meanie!" Fae cried as she raised her dagger and slashed at the boar again. She only did 1 damage again, but it still helped.

While the boar was distracted after being hit, Fae turned and kept running in Shep's direction. "Yes mister! Fae need help!" Fae responded as she ran.

@Shepherd

ID: 87276

BD: 6

MD: 7

Boar: 9/10 HP

[H:2] Fae: 17/20 HP 1 Energy

Edited by Fae

"Aye, hang in there!" Shepherd tugged on his battle axe and stared outwards, panicked eyes landing on the little girl and the Boar chased her. A cringe twisted his features when the aggressed pig struck her and she fell, yet hope filled him as she landed a solid hit once more.

Shepherd ran as fast as he could, trying to close the gap between himself and Fae - as she called herself - before the Boar could reach her. If he could land a strong enough attack then its aggression might swap to him, but he didn't have faith in himself to land a hit. He stopped by the girl wide-eyed and looked further to the Boar, gulping as he brought his axe up. "Y-ye should be more careful lass, these piggies ain't the nice kind!"

As the four-legged beast neared, the farmer tried to swing his axe, only to have his blade fly high and miss entirely. It was enough to push the Boar off its path and have it charge straight past, but it would only be a few seconds before it recovered and would come charging back. "Lass, are ye hurt! Can ye run?"

ID: 87287 - BD: 1 (Miss)

Boar: 8/10 HP

[H:2] Fae: 17/20 HP 1 Energy

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae nodded her head to Shep, "Okay, I'll do my best!" Fae shouted back as the distance between the two started to close. The boar was once again closing in on her as well.

Fae turned around and got ready to slash at it again. As soon as the boar was a few feet in front of her, she started swing repeatedly in hopes of hitting the boar. She managaed to hit it in the head, but the bull kept charging and headbutted Fae in the stomach. She yelped in pain as she was launched back onto the ground. Fortunately for her, she was now only two feet in front of Shepherd.

Fae stood back up and looked way up at Shepherd. "Yes mister, the mean boar hit me! Fae don't wanna die. Fae can run, should I run mister?" Fae asked, clinging to Shepherd's leg nervously as the boar was getting ready to charge at her again.

@Shepherd

ID: 87294

BD: 7 MD: 7

Boar: 7/10 HP

[H:3] Fae: 14/20 HP 1 Energy

Edited by Fae

Shepherd felt powerless when the Boar struck Fae with all its might, green eyes wide and mouth agape. To see her hit back was a small relief, but it didn't make him feel any less worthless. He knew that if his parents could see him there, standing and watching a child get beaten by an animal while he stood idly by, they'd slap him silly and brand him a coward; he clenched a fist.

Fae was close enough to where if the beast came charging, Shep might've been able to intercept the attack and save the girl further harm. He brought a gentle hand to her shoulder, his smile tender yet urgent.  "Aye! D-don't talk like that wee one, we'll get ye safe an' sound soon; Gotta outrun the piggy first!"

Knowing the Boar would run them down before they got back to town, Shep desperately searched for a place to run and hide. Muttering "aha!", he turned backwards and stepped away, holding out his hand for Fae to hold on. "C-c'mon, we'll hide in the trees!"

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae smiled a little bit when she felt Shepherd's hand on her shoulder, but she was still panicking over the boar starting to charge towards them. "The piggie is coming back!" Fae exclaimed, already waving her dagger in front of her.

Fae looked behind to see Shepherd holding his out, telling her to grab on and that they would hide in the trees. The boar couldn't climb, so that seemed to be the best solution. "Alrighty mister! The piggie is coming back quick though!" Fae responded as she grabbed onto Shepherd's hand with her left hand. Her right hand was still swinging the dagger at the ground.

Fae closed her eyes and continued swinging at the ground, holding onto Shep's hand tightly. "It's getting closer mister! Hoist us up quickly, please!" Fae said opening her eyes again to see the boar just a few yards away from them. Fae closed her eyes again, clutching Shep's hand even more tightly. 

@Shepherd

CD: 1 (Failed Escape)

Edited by Fae

"H-hey, careful where you swing that thing!" As soon as he felt Fae's hand holding his, Shepherd took off running for the nearest tree he could find, keeping as quick a pace as possible with the girl in tow. Nervous eyes watched as the Boar gained an inch on them every second, and he spared a glance down at the pink-haired player before looking to the forest ahead of them.

With seconds to spare, Shep stopped before of a tall tree with a few low-hanging branches, thick enough to hold the weight of a small person at least. "Then we best get a move on! Here," he locked his fingers and crouched down low, ready to lift the girl as high as possible. "Climb as high as ye can, don' look down!" As his eyes veered sideways to the approaching beast, alarm bells blasted in his mind upon seeing how close it was, "I-I'll be right behind ye!"

(CD 7+ required for escape)

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae stopped swinging once they arrived at the tree and felt herself being lifted up, so she opened her eyes back up. Fae heard directions to climb as high as she could from Shepherd, so that's exactly what she did. "Okay mister, but don't die!" Fae responded as she grabbed ahold on one of the branches and pulled herself up.

From there, Fae climbed up a few extra branches just to be safe. She looked down, noticing that she was about 7 feet off the ground. She wanted to scream, but she held it in. She only grabbed onto the trunk of the tree and held a grip on it in case the branch she was sitting on broke. Fae was more concerned about how Shepherd was going to be, since the boar was still coming. "Climb up mister! The boar is right behind you!" Fae shouted, pointing to the boar was now only seconds away from hitting Shepherd.

@Shepherd

[H:0] Shepherd: 20/20 HP 1 Energy

CD: 2 (Failed Escape)

Edited by Fae

Although they eventually managed to get away, Shepherd flashed back to their first attempt at escape. After helping Fae high enough to avoid an attack, the Boar's mighty charge shattered the tree upon impact and Shepherd was barely fast enough to catch Fae, his eyes wide. "N-not good!" He put the girl down and held out his hand, "C-can you see another tree?!"

(Note: Italic paragraphs signify flashbacks, as a way to get around the escaping problem.)

---

Sometime in the future, they slipped away. "Don't bet on it!" Shepherd lifted with all his strength and hoisted the girl high into a new tree, allowing her to climb to safety. Time slowed down as he released her and swung his eyes to the enraged Boar, it's red cursor getting bigger with every millisecond. He questioned why Fae did what she did, wandering alone through the wilderness actually trying to attract the beast; Anyone with past MMO knowledge should know that a red cursor meant hostile.

And then it dawned on him... had the girl played an MMO before? Was she even the minimum age for SAO?

Time began to speed up. Shepherd dragged his eyes away and focused on the branch opposite to Fae, knowing full one wouldn't support them both.The Boar was inches from his behind as Shep ran and leapt towards the tree, and he kicked off from the trunk to get just the right amount of height to wrap his hands around the branch.

The Boar charged straight past his feet and beyond, slowing down a good twenty feet away. The farmer held his breath as the beast twisted and turned on the spot as if searching for a target, and five tense seconds later, its interest in the players seemed to crumble and the angry pig went on its merry way. Shepherd tilted his head back and sighed in relief, dangling tirelessly. Looking up at the girl, he spoke with a smile. "Aye, told ye we'd lose him! You okay lass?"

ID# 87299 - CD: 10 (Successful escape!)

Edited by Shepherd

Fae watched nervously as Shep climbed up onto the branch and the boar just barely missed him. She took a big sigh of relief, relieved that Shep was fine and out of danger. "Phew, that was close! Thanks mister!" Fae thanked as she looked up at Shepherd once he was on the branch next to her.

Fae looked down at the boar, still roaming around beneath them. It was probably going to be there for a while, even if it wasn't trying to kill them. Fae looked back up at Shep and smiled, her legs swinging back and forth in the air. "I'm okay mister. Are you okay too?" Fae asked, tilting her head a little.

She was trying to think of something else to say, but she was drawing blank to ask, she didn't know his name. "Um, who are you by the way? I'm Fae." Fae added, her smile still present.

@Shepherd

CD: 3 (Failed Escape)

Edited by Fae

In the mean time, Shepherd inhaled sharply and heaved himself over the branch, clambering over under he was sat comfortably. When the little girl asked if he was okay, he returned a nod and smiled brightly. "Aye! Ah can't lie, there was a second I thought he'd graze mah bum- didn't land a scratch, though!" He gave one final look at the Boar that seemed disinterested and sighed from the relief that the trouble was over.

As Fae asked for his name, he couldn't help but see a bit of his cousin in the girl. They were about the same height, though Fae must have been a few years younger. "Fae? Well, ain't that an adorable name! Mine's Shepherd, or Shep for short." He looked across to the girl, concern in his eyes. "Lass, ah'm not shoutin' at you or anythin' of the sort, but what on Gods great green Earth were doin' in the fields? It's a very dangerous world out there, doncha know?"

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae laughed a little about what Shep had first said. "Yeah, Fae was pretty nervous too! That boar would have messed us up!" Fae laughed as she continued swinging her legs. She looked back down at the boar and was glad to see that it was already leaving the tree they were in She was still trying to forget how scared she was at the time of the escape. It all happened so fast.

Fae had fallen from the tree as soon as the boar hit it, and searched desperately for another tree. "I see another one mister!" Fae shouted as she ran as fast as she could to a different tree. The boar barely missed her as she climbed up onto it. This time she was safe and the boar hadn't smashed the tree like last time.

Fae continued listening to Shep while she herself just put her hands on her lap and gave her full attention. "Aw, thanks. A lot of people tell Fae my name is cute. My daddy said he named me after some dragon in a game he worked on. But I don't really play games much." Fae responded, winking at the beginning.

Fae listened to everything else and started to feel a little bad about making Shep help her. "Um, I didn't know it was that dangerous. I just thought I could be friends with the boars. They looked friendly." Fae replied putting her head down a little bit.

@Shepherd

ID: 87443

CD: 8 (Successful Escape) MD: 5

Edited by Fae

"Oh, a dragon eh? Well, yer name certainly suits yer brave heart little one." Shepherd's pitch carried a laugh-like tone to it as he tried to keep the mood as light-hearted as possible. The farmer put conscious effort into not mentioning her dad; Family was a unanimously difficult subject matter in-game, and he couldn't imagine the trauma children were faced with after being separated from their Mothers and Fathers.

The words echoed in his mind, But I don't really play games much. Shepherd sighed, offering Fae a kind-hearted smile. "Hey now, don' go blamin' yourself for what went on back there. How could ye have known they weren't the nice kind?" If she an adolescent or even a late-teen player, he'd have likely carried a sterner, serious tone, but he wasn't in the spirits of causing the little girl trouble. "Listen, Fae, there's a lot a' mean things out there. They can't cause ye harm when yer safe in that there city but out in the fields, they'll try to gobble ye up the second they lay eyes on ye. I was here for ye this time but ye have to be more careful about wanderin' alone in the future. Can ye promise me that, lass?"

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae giggled a little bit and swung up and down on the she was on. "You think I'm brave. I don't know about that, but thanks anyway!" Fae responded as she sat back up on the branch. She ran away from the boar just minutes ago, so it was a little hard to tell if that could be considered brave.

Fae shook her head, "No, Fae should have known better. Fae just got excited. This is the first time I've actually played some kind of combat game. The closest thing to action I have played was Wii Sports." Pixel said looking down at the ground at the again. It was her fault she dragged Shep into this.

Fae listened to everything else and nodded her head. "Okay! Fae will be more careful. I promise! When I'm stronger Fae will come here by herself. Fae was just bored sitting the town." Fae replied doing a small salute when she promised.

@Shepherd

Shepherd cringed a little as he saw Fae agitate the branch, though it seemed to hold up well for the time being. At the mention of Wii Sports, his features contorted into a smirk which he promptly masked with a cough, and his smiled returned in an instant. "First is it? Played many a' games myself, tho' nothin' quite like this game and its fightin'. Wouldn't say Wii Sports comes close either," Shepherd chuckled, "But it don' hurt to know how to swing ah s'pose." As Shepherd looked across to the pink-haired girl and noticed her facing the grass, a pang of second-hand guilt struck his gut.

'If I was strong enough to put that Boar down, we wouldn't need to have this conversation... then again, maybe it's better this way? There's no telling what would happen if she went on her way and tried to talk to another animal, maybe she'll know better from now on...' Internal monologuing aside, the green-eyed farmer leant into the tree and shook his head. "Ye can't blame y'self. Hey, now ye know the wild animals are the baddies, I bet ye'll be able to warn others before they put themselves in danger!" Shepherd sent her a reassuring smile, "It's all a learnin' experience, Fae. Remember that?"

Moments later, he grinned as Fae promised to be more mindful in the future. "Aye, that's the spirit! How's about we get down from here and make a' way back to town? Can nearly hear mah tummy grumblin'!" Shepherd hovered over the branch with both arms, ready to drop down when Fae said the words.

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae laughed a little about Shep's opinion on Wii Sports. She agreed with him there that it wasn't even close to SAO. "Yeah, Wii Sports is not even close. Besides that, Fae only got to play the games my daddy worked on since he always got free copies for working on games. So just Fire Emblem games." Fae explained, laughing a little bit more about it.

Fae continued to listen until Shep paused again. "Fae understands. Boars are baddies from now on. Besides, life is all about learning right? Now Fae knows to stray from them and warn others. I doubt they'd take me seriously." Fae replied, winking at the end.

Shepherd suggested that they head back to town and get something to eat, in which Fae nodded her head. "Yes, of course. Fae is starving! My tummy is growling too!" Fae responded as she swung down from the branch and landed on the ground.

"Glad to hear it!" Readying himself to fall and land, the farmer's attention switched to Fae as she clambered down from the branch, and he followed suit straight after. Shepherd bent his knees and gave an "oof" as he landed, thanking his lucky stars the drop wasn't great enough to cause either of them fall damage.

Assessing the environment for any sign of threats, they appeared to be in the clear for the time being, and a sigh of relief swept through Shepherd's system system. "Looks like it'll be a straight walk home, don' know about you but I'm done runnin' from Boars and Pigs for the day." He beamed a smile Fae's way before swinging his eyes to the city. "C'mon, best not wait around unless we wan' t' be chased again. How're you holdin' up by the way, what's your health bar say up there?" Shepherd held a finger in the air, judging where the display might be for Fae.

@Fae

Edited by Shepherd

Fae followed Shepherd back into the field, where it seemed as though nothing could hurt them now. "Yeah, it isn't much fun being chased around by mean old boars, I'll probably come back some other day to give them a taste of their own medicine." Fae said as she walked a little closer to Shepherd.

Fae eventually grabbed his hand once they were halfway back to town without even realizing it. Shep told her to check her health bar, in which she promptly did so. "I'm at 19 health now. Just one more to regenerate and Fae will be back at full health." Fae replied as she looked up at the green bar.

Fae saw a few boars in the distance, but they were too far away to even come close at being able to attack her or Shep. "What are we going to eat? Do you know a place?" Fae asked, looking up at Shep.

@Shepherd