[SP-F1] <<Earning a Living>>

I sighed. I decided that the day would be a good time for me to take some time off from the beginner quests. I needed to get some new gear and my col amount was nowhere near enough to buy anything that's good for me to wear during my time in this game. So, I decided that it would be wise to complete the quest <<Earning a Living>> as it not only gets me the profession that I want as a poison expert but also the materials that I can use to craft my first poisons and the materials that I can use to purchase some basic equipment to make this game easier than it is at the moment. Having gone through the experience of killing to get absolutely no loot caused me to hesitate before proceeding onto the next one so I'm taking this quest to take a break from the grinding.

So, I needed to find myself a suitable teacher that is willing to teach me the odds and ends of the profession and I knew exactly who I could go to. There's a professional poison expert outside the safe zones who specializes in the art of killing with silence. It was she that I want to go to, not the other basic alchemists that live on this floor just to make a living for themselves healing players. Healing was not what I am after, after all. Instead, I wanted to use alchemy as a sense of danger, as a weapon to kill others that I do not find appealing to me. I glanced at the outside by peeking out of my window to see that night had arrived and just in time for me to venture out and start this quest. I smiled, checking everything was in my inventory before I strolled out and headed towards the location.

It had taken me quite a while to find the location that would start my quest and I was not pleased. The wooden cabin hut was located far from the safe zone and deep into the first floor and from the outside, no lights were on, suggesting no activity within the house. It seems that the owner of the house is extremely protective and the chances of me being attacked upon entering the house is some sort of trap or device that might take down my health. Of course, it was not surprising as this was a poison expert eager to deal damage with her poisons.

Suddenly, I heard a voice next to me, "You. You going to take that quest?" I heard, looking over really quick to see a tall man with a green mohawk. I looked at him, wondering what sort of brave soul would speak to me in the darkness like this.

I stared at the man without speaking in the manner that I usually do when interacting with another human being. The man was obviously a gangster with the green hair and some tattoos on his thick right arm. I can totally imagine him with sunglasses and a motorcycle by his side in real life. Not only that, I can also imagine him dead on the ground bleeding all over without moving ever again. These gangsters are often far weaker than who they what they appear to be. Their secret is eating a lot to get bigger but they sacrifice the ability to use their agility to their advantage during combat. I sighed, keeping my gaze on him without speaking and it was obviously starting to bother him at the point.

"Argh, keeping the silent act eh? Fine, I know exactly what to do with little girls like you." He said, lifting up his right sleeve and walking over in my direction.

I watched him as he came over slowly, appearing as if he wanted to fight me. What a pity, such a big guy against such a small girl in the darkness. Anyone watching would definitely come to my rescue if it was during the day. During the night, neither players can see their surroundings very well. Which is why when he came closer, he didn't realize that I had my upgraded curved sword by my hand, prepared to come at him if he got any closer. Finally, he gasped when he realized that the girl he wanted to hit was no longer in front of him. Instead, she was behind him with her curved sword held high by his neck without even looking at him. With that, the silent battle was over and I had won. He knows of my skills and he knew it. Immediately, his fierce eyes were replaced by fear.

"Name," I said, suggesting that he tells me his name as I sheathed my sword without even opening my eyes or looking at him once. he knows who has the authority here and he knows I can kill him without even stopping to catch my breath.

"Drazula. Yours?" He responded, asking me for my name but we both know that it was an act in a pitiful attempt to hide his own imcompetence and fear.

"Your worst fear. Now, that house is filled with traps so you must go in first." I told him directly, pointing at the wooden cabin without saying another word. He looked at me, wondering how in hell I was able to figure out what was within the house. Pure instincts would've been my answer if he asked me. Luckily, he didn't. As he began to walk over, I am sure that he won't disobey me, having witnessed my power.

A bead of sweat came from the man's neck, dripping to the ground as he walked up to the building and opened the wooden door. Soon, he stepped inside without anything happening. However, just as he let down his guard, the floor underneath him disappeared due to some type of piston, causing him to fall down and become trapped in a hole that was soon covered up by the floor once more.  I'll free him later, I decided, walking through the house and avoiding the pitfall. My next encounter was some knives that flew at me from the walls... Those were quite easy as I was able to dodge the attack entirely without much trouble due to my projectile dodging experience I picked up from real life. Soon, I was able to maneuver my way around the house and dodge most of the attacks without any trouble. Once, I stepped on a spike, but since this game had no pain, my health points were only lowered by a bit.

Soon, I came face to face with a woman that had her face filled with makeup and white powder as well. Her eyes were deadly, but she wore a fake smile to look safe to the players that stumble upon her layer. That won't fool me though, as I am not so easily fooled by such disguises. I looked at her carefully, waiting for her to speak first. Luckily, she had spoken after watching me for a few minutes. Her first words were,

"Why didn't you come through the back door?" She asked, pointing at the door next to it.

I looked at the door. Somehow, I didn't see it when I was scanning the house, but there was no way I will ever admit that. Instead, I would simply tell her. "Sounds too easy. Now, I am here to become a poison expert. Teach me what you know." I got straight to the point.

"How straight forwards," the lady said with a sly grin as she looked back at the poisons that she was currently making. "You know that player that you left in that ditch? He's probably dead at this point. The hole was filled with poison. You going to go save him or not?"

I looked at the woman emotionlessly as I was quite confused at the statement. Suddenly, I realized that she thought we were friends since we kind of walked in together. "That is a lost cause. That man is completely useless. He's better off dead." I smiled. It was a dangerous smile and the woman sensed it despite her decided reaction not to show anything to reveal her intimidated heart. "Now, back to the point, will you teach me?" I asked, repeating myself impatiently.

"Sure, go out and collect three poison ivy from outside. There should be some in the area behind my house."

ID: 87719 LD: 14

I walked out to see the same green mohawk man standing there with an intimidating face on. He was obviously angry that I had set him up in a trap but I suppose either the alchemist's poison wasn't strong enough to kill or she lied about that to scare me. Of course, either way, the green mohawk man was annoying, and he was not leaving me alone. The man stared at me as I walked out of the house, I, of course, kept my eyes on him as well, replying with silence. Soon, I turned my back and walked towards the back area. It was extremely obvious that the man was following me.

"What do you want?" I asked, without even looking around as I glanced down the frontal area of the woman's backyard. Obviously, there would be no materials here since this is the first place people would look for materials.

Poison Ivy: 0

Edited by Blood

ID: 87720 LD: 17

"I want to know who you are." He said, his voice was a lot more passive than the voice that he had used when speaking to me a few minutes ago. I looked back, this time, my eyes were one of anger and intimidation. 

"You don't want to know who I am. You don't need to know who I am. I am the shade of the night. And if you continue to bother me, you will be dead by the end of this day." I replied, looking down and not even fearing the man's attack if it did come. He was too big to bother me and his movements would definitely be too heavy for me not to notice his incoming body.

However, he did not attack. Instead, he simply stood there and continued talking as I finally found my first material. He looked at me in both fear and admiration and I can sense his eyes on me.

Poison Ivy: 1

Edited by Blood

ID: 87729 BD: 16

"Big words from a small girl, why would someone who looks so gentle be vicious as this?" He asked me as if trying to learn more about me through this conversation.

"Small girl? I use that to my advantage. Just because I'm small doesn't mean I don't kill without a second of hesitation." I replied, not looking at him as that would only be a waste of time to me. I looked down once more and picked up a patch of poison ivy that would be good for the quest's completion. Today, my luck seemed extremely well as I was able to get two materials out of the three that I was instructed to get. I sighed, looking at the man just as he opened his mouth to speak,

"Well, how about - " He began but gulped as I brought my curved sword and quickly brought it to his throat.

"Shut up."

Poison Ivy: 2

Edited by Blood

ID: 87731 LD: 12

The man was absolutely stunned by my speed and I stayed there staring at him for a while before he decided to back up just to put some distance between him and myself. He gasped again, intimidated by my mysterious and fierce personality that no one in this game is expected to be used to. I am an odd ball and everyone that knows me - the few players who know me know that I am not someone to mess with in any way. Anything I don't like, I will point a blade on it. Not only that, I despise wasting time and talking to this man seemed like a waste of time at this point.

"Look, I have a group of guys called the black shade gang that goes around fooling around. If you ever need some intimidation, you can call us, and we'll be there in no time. You know, a lady's gotta have some muscle on her side."

Poison Ivy: 2

Edited by Blood

ID: 87733 LD: 18

I finally put my curved sword back into its case before I spotted a purple poison ivy for me to pick up from the ground and claim as my final material. This would be the completion of my quest and not only that, it seems that my conversation with the man has finished as well. I smiled, that's what I wanted, a success in my opinion if you ask me. I glanced at the man. If I refused his help, he would only bother me even more. Hence, I decided to give up and just say fine even if I won't ever be needing their help.

"Fine," I said, walking back towards the house with my materials in the inventory for the alchemist. This time, I would walk through the back door instead of the front to get inside so I can not trigger those traps and risk possibility of damage.

Poison Ivy: 3

Edited by Blood

ID: 87734 LD: 3

I looked around when I heard the annoying pest keep me away from my objective once again. I already completed my quest but if he was going to keep me here, I might as well glance around real quick for a material. Unluckily, I was unable to find anything that could be of use to me. It seems that I have exhausted my beautiful luck. Now, one more word from the man who had begun to speak and I will be off on my way.

"Alright, what's your name then? Maybe I can introduce you to the rest of my gang," he said. At that, I laughed for a quick second before walking away. The day was getting extremely dark. It was definitely past midnight and the stars up in the sky above were shining down upon the world of Aincrad and lighting up the world in the darkness. I smiled, my journey had finally begun.

Poison Ivy: 3

Edited by Blood

"I'm sure we will meet another time and you don't need to know my name. Now, any time you see black feathers at the scene of a death, you will know it's me. Remember, I'm the fluid that cleanses nothing but everything at the same time. That's all you need to know," I smiled, not looking at the man and finally, I walked into the house while the man behind me was still dumbstruck at the mysteriousness of the player that he had just met. 

Before I took a step in, I looked back once more, "Now, just know that you are extremely lucky not to be killed by me as I am not prepared for that status yet. I'm sure we will meet again, though." And with that, our conversation has ended and my quest is on its way to completion. I smiled once more, sneakily walking into the wooden cabin.

I walked in to immediately see a sharp dart coming towards me. Immediately, I dodged down and avoided the incoming projectile, watching from the source that it came from. It was actually another trap, from the back door this time and I had managed to trigger it when I stepped on the pressure plate right inside the door. 

"Brilliant. How amazing is it to avoid these traps every time you walk out of the shop? You must enjoy it, don't you?" I asked the woman sitting in the sofa chair.

"Not that bad actually. It's quite easy to maneuver if you know where to step. It's not like I actually walk out of this house at all since I get players who do this quest to do it for me anyway." She stood up from the chair, "Now, I assume you have completed the quest by completing the materials?" She finished.

"Yes, I have," I said, sliding my right hand down so I can open my inventory. However, the woman stopped me by putting her hands out in the shape of five fingers, an action that I became extremely confused about. 

"Do you honestly think I have a need for those materials? If you do, you're wrong. I'm an NPC, that means I don't have to gather materials to make stuff. you should know by now that the material gathering was only just a filler so you would have to do something to complete the quest. That's all this game is, anyways. You just need to do a bunch of boring tasks in order to get stronger. It's also how life works, you should be used to it by now."

I sighed, "Alright then, you wasted my name because the game required me to do so. Now, the alchemist training?" I hinted again.

She sighed, "Why can't you understand? There is no training. You just, basically, become the alchemist once you complete the quest. This game is way too easy and everything is made for you in which you would not have to use your physical abilities at all to complete anything of the sorts. Now, that means, you literally click a few buttons to do whatever you need and fighting is not based on your real life abilities. I know who you are, someone has told me. And the way this story is unfolding is fascinating me to the extreme. Unluckily, your abilities as an assassin won't do well here."

I looked at the woman. Someone has told her about me and it was threatening. That means, someone has been here before me and someone has informed her about my existence. If words get out, it would make my role in this game a lot harder.

I frowned, now that I was already an alchemist, I decided to ask her a few questions for this suspicious poison expert. "Who told you about me?"

"Someone interesting."

"Who?"

"Can't say."

I frowned, an NPC keeping secrets was quite the surprise. I sighed, staring straight at the woman in frustration at her lack of ability to cooperate with me. "When did you hear of this?"

"A few hours ago."

Before I started the quest. Someone had anticipated that I would come here. This was scary because this must be the works of an absolute mastermind. Someone had told her of my past, and they had anticipated that I would come to this woman for alchemist training the moment, the hour, the exact time that I had come. Whoever I was dealing with was a genius.

"X-02. The genius of the night. He's warning me, isn't he? Time for me to leave, then."

Thread Complete:

+3 T1 Materials
+2 SP
+400 Col
+Alchemist Title
+X T1 Materials