[PP-F1] <<The Second Lesson>> Clash of Personality

The woman managed to lift her shield arm for a high-five when Embers walked over and offered one. A bit surprising, but Telrenya grew a smile in response. It wouldn't be very inaccurate to describe the redhead's first impressions as something like burning sandpaper, but perhaps she had a good side that Telrenya could find herself on. Her smile quickly faded, however, at Embers' next statement--a declaration of competition.

"W-wait, what?" But her companion had already turned to lift her axe against a new squealing victim. Her lips pursed at the woman's dismissiveness, but quickly let out a small, hardly audible sigh. 'Guess there's no helping it.' She shrugged it off and readied her weapon once again. Quickly spotting another target, Telrenya rushed to make an attack just as before, but her haste caused her to miss the mark. Wincing as its tusk grazed across the outside of her thigh as it ran past her.

@Embers

ID#: 88811 | BD: 2 - Fail!
LD: -- (1/3)

MD: 10 - Critical hit!

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 15/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns
Boar Pup: 5/5 | 3 DMG

Edited by Telrenya
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embers first swing had missed completely, and she had been lining up a second shot right as Telrenya spoke up. The other girl sounded somewhat hesitent, although, why Embers didn't fully understand. It was just a friendly competition no? She was looking at the other girl, and so missed the boar scratching her ankles with a run by. Embers, naturally angry at what had just occured, let out a yell as she used yet another Sword Art and swung it at the Boar....

Only she missed, and the blow once again, slammed into the ground, as did the shockwave that followed after it. While ordinarily she'd be angry she missed the strike, she was thinking about Telrenya. For some, reason, she liked the girl. No logic behind it, but that didn't hugely shock her. Still.

"Oi Tel, all good?" She called out, trying to sound less aggressive than usual "Didn't do nothing did i?" 

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 94/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

ID: 88963

BD: 5

MD: 8 

Sword Art: Whirlwind

Tusks: 1/3

Edited by Embers

"Oh, huh?" Telrenya was a bit confused by Embers' choice of words and inflection. Still, it was a harmless question, and so the blonde followed suit. She paused, stepping back from the boar pup in front of her a moment as it faced her and dragged its hooves against the ground. "Yeah, everything's fine!" She wasn't sure if she had worried the redhead, or what had prompted the question, but the last thing she wanted to do was cause a distraction. In fact, she wasn't sure which outcome of this newly-declared competition she would prefer if given the choice.

With the tiny boar charging at her again, Telrenya gave a quick sidestep out of its path to avoid getting sliced up by its sharp tusks. She offered a poorly-timed swing at the creature, missing terribly while she turned. "Ugh..." She grumbled under her breath before raising her volume, "I just need to get better at this!" She called back in a joking tone, both hoping to smooth out the mood and keep herself from feeling the frustration that came with missing her target.

ID#: 89123 | BD: 5 - Fail!

MD: 2 - Fail!

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 14/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns

Edited by Telrenya

Ember had been slightly worried if she was entirely honest with herself. She knew herself too well, how she came off to people as rude. She hadn't been trying to be nice to Telrenya when they first met, but now out on the battlefield with the girl. Embers felt, not a desire to protect, but rather, a companionship of sorts. Here they were, two strangers, out on the field. It was like her days of hiking, out in the outback where anyone you ran into was a companion for a while. It was weird friends like that she enjoyed, and so, she felt like that with this girl she'd never met. A bond forged in exploration, and in this case, the butchering of wild boars. 

Remidning herself of the boars, the little bugger was making another strike. This time, she allowed it to scratch her, only for her to land a clean strike on its back in revenge. She grinned, it had worked perfectly Ha! 

"You and me both sister!" Ember threw back, a grin on her face and even a light-hearted laugh escaping her "Ahh, this brings back memories of the good 'ol days T, let me tell you that" 

@Telrenya

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 91/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

Boar Pup: 1/5 | 3 DMG

BD: 8 <Hit>

MD: 6 <Hit>

Edited by Embers

"You...used to hunt boars?" Her naivety was as strong as ever, confusion clear in her voice as she responded to Embers' vague statement about memories. She began to wonder if the redhead was referring to something in the real world, or earlier memories of her time in Aincrad.

The boar didn't allow her much time for idle chatter, charging at her in the same way as its programming always would. The woman lowered her stance, taking the opportunity to acclimate herself to Cardinal's strange 'assistance' during battle. As the boar rushed towards her, the blonde pushed off from the ground with her right foot to dodge to the side, skidding to a stop beside the beast and thrusting the tip of her rapier through its body. Even just her regular attacks were enough to pixelate the monster, leaving Telrenya with a smile of satisfaction that her maneuver had worked so seamlessly.

ID#: 89291 | BD: 10 - Critical Hit!
LD: 2 - Nothing (1/3)

MD: -Dead-

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 14/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns
Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG - Dead

Embers shrugged as she looked back at Telrenya "Not much boars, they weren't huge when i travelled. Hunted stuff like rabbits a lot, but not a ton. Usually took ages to cook so hunting wasn't the best option" She had indeed killed many a animal, all in the names of food and survival. Hiking for weeks on end, the food eventually emptied out. So she took her hunting knife, or the rifle that carried with them, and went out hunting. Preparing a shot animal took forever, but, well, it was often damn tasty. "Haven't done it in years in the real world, at least 3 years since my last one" 

The boar exploded, and Embers grinned for Telrenya. The other girl was finally getting into it, hell yeah. Her spine was finally showing in a good way! Of course, Embers fight was a little more heated. Namely Embers couldn't HIT the damn thing and it kept clawing at her ankles! Which history allowed to repeat once again, as Embers let out a frustrated sigh as she missed yet again.

Embers: HP: 88/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

BD: 3

MD: 6 <hit>

Edited by Embers
  • 2 weeks later...

Telrenya was surprised to get a glimpse of Embers' past. It sounded foreign to her, the idea of heavy travelling and hunting in the real world. Since she was young, she had always lived in one busy city or another and hadn't found many opportunities to indulge in the beauty that nature sometimes provided, away from the pollution of light, sound, and smog that typically hung in the air. She couldn't help her eyes from drifting over the plains spread out before them, a small smile on her lips at the realization of her being out here, fighting against monsters and wildlife.

Distracted by her own thoughts, the boar standing opposite her didn't give her any time to compose herself. Its hooves dragged against the ground, kicking up grass and dirt as it prepared to charge at her. The pup scurried her way, and Telrenya was only barely able to pull her body out of the way of the creature's path to avoid the blow. After readying another strike, Telrenya's eyes pulled in Embers' direction once again. "Still, that's pretty impressive." She said with a small smile to continue their conversation. "I couldn't imagine myself doing something like that--sounds like it takes a ton of skill." She let out a tiny chuckle, simply unable to picture herself hunting wild rabbits in the woods.

ID#: 89817 | BD: 4 - Miss!

MD: 4 - Miss!

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 13/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns

Edited by Telrenya

Embers spun the axe in her hands as she watches the boar pup facing her. Part of her knew, for the target she was against, her action was silly. But, then, she was struggling to kill anything, so perhaps it was needed? She tried to predict the path of the boar when it moved, sliding to the side and swinging with her large weapon. However, the boar was simply too small and agily, dodging her blow and catching the girl once again. 

Hearing Telranya call it impressive, well, it both boosted her ago and reminded Embers her partner was a city girl. After all, no one in the city ever had to kill what they ate. As for impressive, was it? In her mind it wasn't, she'd been raised doing it. It had been her version of a family trip, her dad taking her into the woods for a hiking holiday, and when the food in their packs was empty, he showed her how to use a knife. How to make traps and where to cook, what not to eat. The girl grinned at the memories as she replied.

"It ain't for everyone, i'll say that much. Brought friends on it once, one of 'em threw up when i cut open a rabbit this one time" She had warned them, in her defence, that it wasn't typical camping. "But i loved it, they were moments where you are alive the most..." 

Embers: HP: 85/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

ID: 89977

BD: 4 <Miss>

MD: 7 <Hit>

Edited by Embers
  • 3 weeks later...

While the redhead seemed to have poor luck with her accuracy, Telrenya was having just as bad luck in getting any more item drops. The woman had run her opponent through with another strike of her rapier and the boar squealed and burst into pixels with the single hit. The window that detailed her earnings from the kill, however, only showed her a bit of experience and col. With a dissatisfied frown, her shoulders fell an inch and she urged herself to seek out another target while Embers recounted more of her history in the real world.

At the mention of cutting up a small animal--a rabbit, no less--Telrenya couldn't help her bottom lip and shoulders from stiffening at the mental image. 'I feel like I would have been like that friend...' She thought, trying to dismiss the details from her mind before her own virtual stomach turned. She tried to laugh off the discomfort, offering her own input to keep the conversation afloat. "Yeah, I'm not sure I could handle all that." With a hint of embarrassment, she chuckled. "I would say I felt most alive once I managed to meet one of my deadlines. Even if it was just barely done, submitting a project on time is such a relief. Then you can breathe, and just try to be proud of what you did." Although it was a poor comparison and even Telrenya thought it was a stretch to consider that a feeling akin to 'living', it was one of the few things she thought to offer. It took her a moment to realize the recollection might not make much sense to her redheaded partner without any context, and so she quickly lifted her free hand to give a short wave through the air. "Oh, sorry. I'm--err, was an arts student."

ID#: 89817 | BD: 6 - Hit!
LD: 10 - Nothing (1/3)

MD: 9 - Dead

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 13/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns
Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG - Dead

Not long after Telranya claimed the life of her boar, Embers finally got the swing in she needed. The boar treied to strike her, but the girl was quicker and managed to land a blow across its body, causing it to explode into pixals. She had hoped that it would drop a damn tusk, but it seemed, no suck luck was given to her and she swore loudly as the realization she'd have to cut down a ton more before she was done. She saw another boar, and prepared herself to go on the hunt. In this ideal hunt, she missed Telrenyas reaction to her story. Of course, she could guess as much, given most players of this game lived what Embers would call a sheltered life. 

The blondie girl spoke about her own version of what made her feel alive, submitting...assessments? In part, Embers didn't understand what the other girl meant. It wasn't something that came up too often for her, she had given up on highschool and never made it to collage or university. She frowned a bit, what the hell was an art school? Was it as literal as the name suggested? 

"So you're one of those fancy art student then right?" Embers was partly lying through her teeth, but, well. For some reason, she liked the blondie. She couldn't explain it, like a lot of things, but she liked her. So pretending she knew what an arts student did would be a lie she'd carry with her "Well, i'll say, work tasks and me never really settled hand-in-hand, but, well, can't fault ya for knowing what you enjoy" It didn't bother her much what Telrenya enjoyed, as long as she enjoyed it. 

"Also, you are an arts student. Just cause' you're locked in this damn game don't mean what you achieved out there don't count. The only time its an 'was' is when ya 6 feet under...."

@Telrenya 

---------

Embers: HP: 85/100, ENG: 1/10, DMG: 4

Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG

ID: 90763

BD: 7 <Hit>

MD: 5 <Miss>

LD: 3 (Not loot)

Edited by Embers
  • 2 weeks later...

"I don't know about 'fancy'," Telrenya chuckled as she tracked down another boar pup a few paces away. She held her weapon at the ready, taking a moment to continue their conversation before proceeding with her attack. Her expression shifted, brows knitting together as she tried to find the right way to put her thoughts into words. "Well, I suppose studying is the one thing I've always been good at. Studying, taking tests, things like that." She explained. "It's definitely not fun sometimes, but being good at it gave me a reason to keep going with it."

She blinked in surprise when Embers addressed her use of the past tense. She stopped herself from turning to face the redhead, but couldn't help the smile that stretched at the corners of her mouth. It was hard sometimes to believe that they would really be able to leave this place and would one day wake up and try to return to their old lives, but perhaps it was that hope that drove the players to continue fighting. Rushing forward to plunge the tip of her rapier into her opponent, Telrenya managed to take down the target in a single strike and was rewarded with a second tusk. Her smile lingered as she dismissed the loot menu. "You're right. Guess I've got to work a bit harder, since taking tests isn't what's going to get us out of here, huh?" She joked.

ID#: 91266 | BD: 9 - Critical Hit!
LD: 20 - Received (1) Boar Pup Tusk (2/3)

MD: 6 - Dead

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 13/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns
Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG - Dead

Edited by Telrenya

Embers grinned. Finally, Tel was growing some backbone and no longer stuttering, there we go! She listened as Telrenya explains the school, and to Embers, it sounded like nothing short of hell itself. Studying, exams, urgh! All the things Embers loathed, sitting down and learning through a book. Learn while doing, that was her style and was why she dropped out of high school and never made it to university. She knew her own path wouldn't work with it, so instead, she left and went to do her own thing. Why be a sheep when you can be a wolf? 

She spotted a Boar and went straight in, right as Telrenya went in for her own. Embers used her Sword Art and wiped the boar our with a single strike, grinning as she did. Nailed it. Although, her victory was shortlived as the boar didn't drop any item for her. She was still stuck on 1 tusk, while Tell was sitting at 2. 

"You're damn right there. Books and pens won't save ya hear Tel. When you get back to the real world, you'll been your booksmarts, but in this world, well, lets just say people like me have the edge" People like her, too distracted to learn through books. People who hated being bottled up and fed like sheep, who hated the way city folks operated. 

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 81/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG

ID: 91347

BD: 5 <Hit> Sword Art: Whirlwind. 4(2)=8 DMG

MD: 10 <Miss> 3+1= 4 dmg

Ld: 8 <No tusk found>

Edited by Embers

Telrenya smiled softly, easily seeing Embers' side of things when she put it that way. Sure, Cardinal sometimes worked to assist her movement during combat, but there were many more instances when she was left to her own coordination and instincts to handle her avatar in the game. And her lack of expertise in the areas that seemed to be the most important, such as swordplay, athletics, and reflexes, often showed.

As if to lend to the sentiment, Telrenya had moved on to the next boar pup in search for a final tusk. She repeated the same process, almost expecting to rip through the creature in one shot like she had managed so effortlessly before. It must have just been a stroke of luck earlier, because the moment the blonde had lunged forward to pierce the tip of her rapier through the boar's flesh, her footing shifted in a clumsy way and she overextended. With her center of balance thrown off, her strike fell short and she was forced to bring her free arm up in an attempt to brace her fall.

She let out a small, involuntary yelp when she crashed into the grassy field. Quickly pushing herself back to her feet, Telrenya's cheeks were dusted with a pink shade of embarrassment. "Y-yeah, you could say I kind of suck at this." Despite her shyness after her blunder, she tried to joke it off.

ID#: 91360 | BD: 1 - Critical Miss!
Boar Pup Tusk (2/3)

MD: 1 - Critical Miss!

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 12/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns

Embers let out a soft laugh. In this world, people like her indeed ruled, where people like her. Dumb, but physically strong, they ruled this place. She looked over at the next boar, her next victim, and launched herself forwards. She knew that, with no energy, she wouldn't be able to rely on a Sword Art, but that didn't prevent just slicing it open with her Battle-Axe. Spinning it in her hand, she spun around and landed a sweet blow, right as the Boar ran into her legs, once again. She was hurt, but her health was good enough. The boar, however, limped away in the red zone. One more blow...

She spotted Tel tripping over, but instead of criticizing her, Embers felt a laugh escape her. "It'll help if you stay on your feet Tel!" She called out laughing as she did "Ain't no battle you'll win lying down!" 

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 78/100, ENG: 1/10, DMG: 4

ID: 91756

BD: 8 <Hit> 

MD: 8 <Hit> 3 dmg

Edited by Embers

The sound of Embers' laugh only caused her blush to deepen, but the sincerity of it left a small smile on her own face. The target standing across from her dragged its hooves against the ground, staring the blonde down with defiance. Brandishing her rapier once again at the challenge, Telrenya readied herself as the boar pup shot forward. With a half-step backwards, she then lunged forward to meet the beast's charge, and this time the sharp tip of her rapier found its mark, sinking deep into the boar's hide.

As its health bar drained, it let out a short squeal before glowing and shattering into a flurry of shards and pixels. "There we go!" She spoke more to herself with a satisfied smile as she straightened her spine. The battle summary that appeared before her informed her of a third item drop, meaning that she had received the last one she needed for the quest's objective. She turned her shoulders back to Embers, still holding her rapier in her right hand for now.

ID#: 91924 | BD: 7 - Hit! | LD: 14 - Success!
Boar Pup Tusk (3/3)

MD: 7 (Dead)

Telrenya: 179/180 HP | 12/18 EN | 5 DMG | 9 MIT | 14 Thorns
Boar Pup: 0/5 | 3 DMG (Dead)

• 2 weeks later...

Embers watched Tel take down yet another boar! She was doing better than she honestly expected, hell, doin' better than her. While that wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world, she couldn't not be somewhat impressed by it. Sure, the girl had her flaws but who the hell didn't have flaws? Embers looked away once again, mostly at Tel, only for the boar to strike. However, Embers was quick enough to use her weapon to deflect the blow, even if she wasn't able to strike back. She let out a frustrated groan, why was she struggling so much on just a damn baby boar!

"Hell to this stupid game! Just let me kill the damn thing already!"

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 78/100, ENG: 1/10, DMG: 4

ID: 92601

BD: 2 <Miss> 

MD: 1 <Miss> 3 dmg

Edited by Embers

As her attention moved back to the fiery redhead, Telrenya almost immediately stiffened as her frustrated shouts continued. Although she had already gotten the idea that Embers was rather mouthy and hot-headed in most any circumstance, it still seemed to set off some nerves in the blonde to keep her on-edge. Maybe if she got to know the woman a bit better, or simply spent more time around her, she would grow accustomed to the outbursts. For now, though, Telrenya's lips pursed as she stood awkwardly, unsure of what to do.

Her chocolate-brown eyes examined the broad axe head that swung at the scrambling boar, giving herself something to focus on. It seemed to be a weapon that featured more raw power and was more proficient in cleaving enemies down--much more capable in that regard than the thin, straight blade of her rapier. Unfortunately, whether it was by design or pure luck, her strikes seemed to be less accurate than the one-handed weapon she held onto. "Ahh, Embers?" She called out hesitantly, not wanting to interrupt the girl in the midst of her fight. "I just thought, well, I started up my Artisan shop recently. I need to make one for myself, too, but if you're looking for a trinket or something to boost your accuracy or evasion, I might be able to help." She offered with a small smile.

ID#: 92848 | LD: 8 - nothing

Edited by Telrenya

Ember was entirely unaware that her outburses were causing the other girl distress, and even if she did, she wouldn't stop herself. It was how she lived, her heart on her sleeve and a smile on her face. She hated hiding what she felt, it just wasn't her if thats what she was doing. She would live as herself, and if it came to it, die, as herself. A smile on her face, blood on her fists and booze in her blood. Well, at least in Sao, some of that was possible.

The girl took another swing at the boar, and once again, her battle-axe was simply too slow and missed the nimble monster. She kicked dirt at it out of anger, but manage to not swear. She threw a look over at Telranya. God this was embarrassing. She was meant to be in her element here, yet, Tel had finished so far ahead of her! She only had one tusk, while Tel had three!?

"Tel, you'd be a damn lifesaver" She yelled out at her friend, friend? Yeah, friend. "But i'd be a waste of your time. I have, a solution, to my crappy aim. You know those, Familiar, things? I'm gunna grab me one of 'em, that'll get me aim on point. Don't get that wrong, your offer is kind, and if i didn't have a plan, i'd take you up on it in a heatbeat'" 

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 75/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

ID: 92900

BD: 1 <Miss> 

MD: 7 <Miss> 3 dmg

Edited by Embers

"Familiar..." She echoed in a quiet voice, more to herself than for Embers' confirmation. She brought her knuckle up to tap lightly against her chin as she gave some thought to the term. "Ohh, those are like pets, right?" Once again, the question was more rhetorical, and she didn't wait hang on the redhead's response before continuing. "I think I've seen those around here and there... Oh!" She suddenly perked up in remembrance. "Right, I ran into someone who had a baby dragon on his shoulder." Her smile stretched wider as she was reminded of the wonder that the small creature had instilled in her when she first set eyes on the fiery dragonling. "Actually," Her eyes fell back on the girl with red-hot hair and crimson eyes. "I can actually picture you with a familiar like that." She chuckled lightly.

(ooc: I was writing in a hurry, hopefully I didn't mistake Embers' eye color, please correct me if I'm wrong :'3)

ID#: 93035 | LD: 8 - nothing

Embers had no idea Telreya was unaware what a familiar was, after all, in her mind, she'd learnt very early on from the Kid. Namely when he went out trying to find out, and failed horribly. So she assumed it was an expression everyone knew. While Telrenya tried to figure out what a Familiar was, the girl focused back on her fight. This damn boar was really starting to annoy her, and this stupid axe wasn't getting in there.

The boar charged in, but out of nothing but her anger for the boar, the girl threw herself forwards and brought the axe down hard on the damn creature. It exploded, and there it was, the spoils of war. She would have been pissed, beyond measure, if it hadn't dropped its damn tusk. Taking it down, that was now 2 out of the three done. Just one more idiots blood to spill.

A baby dragon eh? The girl could do that, some bad-ass familiar monster would suit her. But, well, there was only one option. 

"I'm getting a Hawk...or at least, that's my plan" She turned to face the blonde girl and her eyes, they seemed, less emotional if only for a few moments "Back home i had a bird, a Hawk called...Rowan. I know getting a familiar, well, you don't always get what you want. But i'm getting myself something like him, to sit on my shoulder like usual"

Spoiler

Embers: HP: 75/100, ENG: 0/10, DMG: 4

ID: 92914

BD: 9 <Crit> 

MD: 3 <Miss> 3 dmg

LD: 19 (Tusk acquired)

Tusks: 2/3

Edited by Embers