[F1-PP] Procuring a Job <<Earning a Living>> (Aster, Koal, Thorsten)

Spoiler

<<Earning a Living>>

This quest takes place on Floor 1
This quest is repeatable

Description: Every player, to survive in this death game, must make some form of Col. For some, they just hunt mobs. For others, they may earn a living and take up a profession. may meet During your search for a profession you meet a friendly NPC who will train you with your profession. You will have to material hunt and craft your item, or receive a free basic item from the NPC (such as an instrument or fishing rod for performers or fishermen.)

Please Note: If you craft an item in the quest thread, this should be for roleplay purposes only and should not use the dice roller. Items crafted outside of a player shop may not be submitted for evaluation.

Requirements:

-At least two [2] Pages (21 or more posts)

-RP can be PP or SP

-You may have assistance, however only one player may gain their profession and the materials rolled for at the end by a Moderator

-Repeatable for Materials only

Rewards:

1. A title relating to your profession
  2. The ability to open up a shop in the 'Merchants and Shops' section.
  3. 1 extra Skill Point
  4. Extra materials (rolled by Moderator whether GM or PST with Loot Die upon topic completion)

Thorsten stood once again at the edge of the town of beginnings. He looked out at the newly rising sun over the vast field, ever green. He wondered once again as to the origin of the basis of thought this place would have been built to replicate. It was wondrous in nature and beauty much like the forests and fields of the world which he came from was. He enjoyed every moment of his being, content with the way his life had taken him. Here he was no longer looked at as if he was some misshapen toy, left in the rain to rust. His strange way of speech, his talents, his wisdom, these were things that no matter where he found himself in the strange world his mind was in, nor who he was with, would force upon him to end. He knew that one day this all would end but such was how life was. Silver was content knowing that regardless as to the outcome of the strange game he played, he could be content with the choices he made, the things he experienced and the wonders he had seen. 
Silver sat down against a nearby tree, his heterochromatic eyes seeming to shimmer in the warm light of the sun. His face showed a smile of contentment, his legs crossed, his toned arms from years of martial art training lay in his lap. He was not waiting for anything but the day to come and go. That was all he needed to be happy.
@Aster

Edited by Thorsten

"I can't believe you!" Aster fumed, marching after a boy with chestnut hair. The pair of players looked like childhood friends, or even distant relatives as they walked through the Town of Beginnings. Standing just an inch or two taller than the rather short ginger girl, Koal wore a carefree expression despite the malicious stare digging into the back of his head.

"Relax, MAster." The title bled with sarcasm as the boy rolled his eyes. "I'll find your stupid book, so don't beat me up, I beg you." His snarky attitude seemed to be typical, eliciting only an irritated sigh from the orange-haired teen.

Aster had lost track of how much time had past since their 'search' began. 'I knew I should have stopped the idiot as soon as we left town...' She thought sourly, still following along as the pair trekked through the wide fields outside of the city walls. "Hey, our lucky day! Maybe that guy saw where your book went." Koal had spotted the figure of a man sitting beneath a tall tree--a person who certainly wasn't the first player they'd come across out here, and who Aster was most certain had nothing to do with Koal losing her book of Alchemy recipes. "What are you talki--" Before she could air her frustrations, Koal's hand was straight up in the air and giving a wave.

"Heeeeyyy!" He shouted, despite the pair of players being well within earshot. "Hey there, you happen to see a big nerdy book full of junk about potions and such?" He asked with a cheerful grin.

@Thorsten

Silver sat looking into the distance, it was soon that he heard the sound of voices in the distance. He couldn’t make out what they were saying, though the discussion seemed to be quite heated and unsavory. He looked over at the two walking in his general direction. It was wonderful to see such people wall toward him, though he had no doubt they would pass him by like most did. That is not to say he was not content to be passed by, it was however an observation of the life that graced itself upon him. He was, however, surprised by the man’s call to Silver. Upon seeing the man wave, Silver stood to greet them. “Hello there good sir and m'lady.” He said through a thick northern English accent. He hesitated as he though about the strange thing that was mentioned to him. Though when he did speak, his warm smile reappeared, “ I must offer you my sincerest apologies, I haven’t an idea as to what you mean by ‘junk about potions’, nor had I seen anyone come by with reading material of any sort. Though, if you are finding yourselves in need of another companion to assist your search I would be wondrously happy to offer that assistance.” While some of the things he said may have came across as potentially passive aggressive or as if they had the intent to poke fun at them, his face shown that everything was said with complete sincerity. The soft smile on his face, combine with his angle in respect to the sun accentuate the strangeness of his eyes, one violet one blue. “I am Silver Zevulum, though I am unsure if it is proper to call people by the name given to them at birth so if you would feel more comfortable calling me by my username, Thorsten, then by all means do that.”

@Aster

Moments after Thorsten had greeted them, Koal's grin grew even wider as he turned to face the orange-haired healer beside him. "Yo, this guy sounds even more foreign than you!" He teased, causing Aster to tense in embarrassment. Poking fun was something Koal seemed to take every opportunity to do, so much so that even Aster was starting to grow used to it. His disrespect and childish behavior, however, had her wishing she had nothing to do with the boy. After Thorstern's wordy response and introduction, Aster brought a loose fist up to her mouth and gave a small clearing of her throat, as if to both calm herself and try to override Koal's commentary.

"I'm Aster, and this is Koal." She spoke up, carrying a much fainter accent than the taller man's. "Thanks for the offer, but--"

"Yeah, you can help!" The boy placed his hands on his hips as he interjected. The ginger blinked before throwing a small scowl his way. "Whaat? He asked to come!" While not completely accurate, Aster hadn't the energy to argue and simply let out a tiny sigh of defeat.

"If you really want to, I guess it wouldn't hurt." She said in a smaller voice. The girl used the tips of her fingers to nudge at the glasses resting against the bridge of her nose. "As it was so eloquently put, Koal took my book of Alchemy recipes and lost it. Why on Earth we're looking for it all the way out here, I'll never know." She shot the boy, who seemed unfazed by her accusations, another short glare.

@Thorsten

• 3 weeks later...

Silver looked at the two, pleased with the turn of the tides. “Marvelous, lead the way my friends.” He then heard Aster once again mention Alchemy. “What is this ‘Alchemy’ you refer to? And, furthermore, what purpose does it serve? I haven’t known of such things and they seem to be quite intriguing.” Such strange things had he seen and learned about in this strange Castle. He wondered about the origin of such strangeness. It seemed that these two had good intentions and perhaps he had something in common with the shy Aster. While he wasn’t quite sure about this ‘Koal’ character, Silver was happy to believe he was of good intention. 
Silver then looked around to see the fields before them. “Isn’t it marvelous?” he asked, a sparkle in his eye, “The world around me amazes me everywhere I look. The detail is exquisite and the nature is so lush and vibrant. It makes me wonder how real this land really is, even those who are psutopeople have some sort of personality to them, perhaps even a mind of their own! It is quite intriguing to think that such a place could exist. The vast amount of intellect necessary to accomplish such a task would be quite fantastic as well I would assume.”
@Aster

Koal seemed surprised by the man's reaction. He had expected his teasing to get under his skin, as his abrasive personality often did. He stayed quiet after Thorsten's eager response, simply turning to continue walking though the vast fields and leaving the other two players to follow after him. Aster promptly did so with an internal sigh, looking over her shoulder towards their new acquaintance when he had asked about alchemy. The girl pushed up the frame of her glasses with the tips of her fingers, more out of habit than anything else. "Well, alchemy is one of the professions you can choose." She started to explain. Koal, with his back turned to the two, simply rolled his eyes as he could sense one of Aster's tangents coming miles away.

"They serve as a means to craft items, similar to those you can buy in shops and sometimes find out in the wild. Alchemy is specific to potions and crystals and the like." As they walked, she pulled her hand through the air in front of her to call up her menus. With a few quick, recited taps she selected an item from her inventory and a small glass vial appeared in her right hand. She held out the item for Thorsten to see, or even take and inspect if he so wished. "If you haven't seen one before, that's a healing potion. Nothing impressive, but it does the job."

• 2 weeks later...

Silver looked at the vile briefly grabbing it and inspecting the fluid. Giving it back to the woman, Silver spoke. “So you make these strange substances as an occupation, huh? How intriguing! You must be quite the mistress of chemistry to be able to create such things!” Silver thought for a moment before speaking again. “How did you obtain such an occupation?” In his original realm, Silver had been a resonance man, having picked up many different trades whilst traveling with his father. He constantly studied various aspects of Science, Math, English, and Engineering. This was all so new to him however, such a different sort of process that he would have to completely reeducate himself in order to succeed in any occupation. 
He noted now quiet Koal who was with them. Silver turned to the man and spoke with a warm smile. “What do you think of such things, Master Koal? The wonders in occupation in this world. For someone who seems to have such confidence, you surly must know something about it yourself!”
@Aster

• 2 weeks later...

'Oh God, don't give her praise.' Koal held his tongue before the thought escaped him. Behind him, Aster's eyes nearly began to sparkle before they closed and her chin tilted half an inch higher. She needlessly adjusted the glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose as a smile grew on her face. "Well, that hasn't got much to do with these things." She said, the compliment easily going to the ginger's head as she took the potion back and deposited it into her inventory once more. "Honestly, if there was half as much to know about making potions as there was in actual chemical reactions, it would at least be more interesting." The corners of her mouth turned down in a dissatisfied smile at her last comment, but she dismissed the thought with a small shake of her head.

"Ah, they seem to put all such things behind some kind of quest." Aster waved a hand through the air as she collectively referred to the game's designers. "You can find an Alchemist NPC in town, the whole thing is child's play." She explained briefly, conveniently omitting any information on other professions that she lacked the knowledge on.

At the mention of his name, Koal glanced over his shoulder. Catching sight of the difference in height between the two players behind him, he couldn't hold back a snicker as he faced forward again. Paying no mind to the fact that the brunette was only a bit taller than the ginger girl herself, the boy gave a small shake of his head at Thorsten's question. "Ehh, I know a thing or two. Can't say I have a fancy 'job' of my own, though." The corner of his mouth hooked into a smirk. "Nah, that's too much work."

Edited by Aster

Silver listened to the alchemist intently as she spoke. He smiled at her confidence. Once she had finished he spoke. “It is truly unfortunate that you do not have the ability for such interesting thing that chemistry can create. You seem yourself to be a woman of science. Tell me, Mistress Aster, have you ever dabbled in the art of chemistry? When I was young my uncle brought me to his chemistry lab and taught me about a variety of things. We even made Chlorine Trifluoride once.” Silver chuckled at this remark. “One day we attempted to make Azidoazide Azide, though as you could probably guess, that didn’t last very long. We had decided to test the notion of being unable to analyze it by use of spectroscopy. Needless to say, we found that it was in fact true that the chemical explodes when placed under a spectrometer.” 
Silver then turned to Koal, pondered what the man said for a moment before responding. “I feel that I should say, Master Koal, that happiness is a reward your brain gives you from hard work. And to gain more happiness one must do more hard work. Failure to do such a thing leads to a state of increased depression. My advice on the matter is that you not allow yourself to become so lazy that true happiness is outside of your reach.”
Silver then continued to look for the journal that was mentioned beforehand. Though he feared that they would be unable to find it.

@Aster

• 2 weeks later...

Aster cocked a brow at the attempted experiments Thorsten recounted before a small snicker escaped the ginger. "Not the safest of reactions to play with, no." Her amber eyes drifted to the side as she continued another comment in a smaller, almost disappointed mumble. "Even if I got my hands on that stuff, my parents wouldn't give me two minutes with it." She brought up a hand to adjust her glasses, once again out of habit as the vanity frames hadn't shifted their position in the slightest. A tiny frown worked its way over her features, recalling the reason she had chosen the profession in the first place. "Well, alchemy seemed like the next best thing, since there really isn't any ma--" The girl faltered as she caught herself thinking out loud. "Err, that is, it-it seemed to suit me the most."

"Hey hey, I work plenty hard as it is!" The boy with chestnut hair then protested their dual-colored acquaintance's advice. By this time, the trio had practically reached the city gates and, without elaborating any further on his defensive statement, Koal slid a hand into his pocket and slid pair of white irises over the sparse crowds of players populating the Town of Beginnings. Without coming to a complete stop, the boy eventually spotted what he was looking for and continued walking forward, approaching a smaller boy, likely fitting into the demographic of the youngest age group of Aincrad's players. "Hey kid, you seen a boring-looking book around here?"

The child had stopped in his tracks when Koal approached, shifting his attention and staring up at the teen. Shortly after being presented the question, his eyes lit up in understanding and a wide, toothy grin stretched across his face. "Yeah, yeah! This way!" The boy scurried off, and Koal gave another glance over his shoulder to make sure the two 'nerds', as he would have called them, were still following along.

Silver chuckled, “I have found that my childhood was quite unorthodox. Though, it seems my entire family was quite unorthodox in its ways. Yet, we are comparably far more traditional than most. Whilst it was a quite dangerous chemical, it is far from the most dangerous thing I was to do as a child.” Silver thought to his training, it had started at a young age and was something he rarely thought about in terms of comparison. When he thought about it in depth, he had never actually found someone else with the level of intensity of childhood which he had gone through. It was rare to find others trained at around age six for martial combat. Not to mention the training he acquired in other fields whilst in the field and traveling with his father. In fact it was rare of him to even mention his childhood to another person, the secrecy of the family ways dictating what can and cannot be discussed in vast detail. 
Listening to Aster speak of what he assumed to be magic though he was under seeing as she had cut herself off, Silver nodded. “Indeed, it is odd that such a fantasy world as this lacks the capability of magic. I wonder as to why that would be. Though I am glad you could find your way in alchemy as you have.”
Koal seemed to take somewhat offence to what Silver had said to him. “My appologies if I have offended you, Master Koal. I am, of course, an advisor trust and it is my job to give my input on such things should I have input.” It seemed that Koal had found someone with information on the whereabouts of the item they had been looking for. Silver followed the child promptly. There was a subtle change in the way Silver walked at this point. Whilst it was normal for him to walk with a sort of casual confidence, in which he seemed to be trained by the armed forces, he now allowed his arms to be relaxed by his sides which, to both a careful observer and someone who was aware of such walks, gave the impression of him being both relaxed and able to snap someone  neck at any moment. 

@Aster

Silver chuckled, “I have found that my childhood was quite unorthodox. Though, it seems my entire family was quite unorthodox in its ways. Yet, we are comparably far more traditional than most. Whilst it was a quite dangerous chemical, it is far from the most dangerous thing I was to do as a child.” Silver thought to his training, it had started at a young age and was something he rarely thought about in terms of comparison. When he thought about it in depth, he had never actually found someone else with the level of intensity of childhood which he had gone through. It was rare to find others trained at around age six for martial combat. Not to mention the training he acquired in other fields whilst in the field and traveling with his father. In fact it was rare of him to even mention his childhood to another person, the secrecy of the family ways dictating what can and cannot be discussed in vast detail. 
Listening to Aster speak of what he assumed to be magic though he was under seeing as she had cut herself off, Silver nodded. “Indeed, it is odd that such a fantasy world as this lacks the capability of magic. I wonder as to why that would be. Though I am glad you could find your way in alchemy as you have.”
Koal seemed to take somewhat offence to what Silver had said to him. “My appologies if I have offended you, Master Koal. I am, of course, an advisor trust and it is my job to give my input on such things should I have input.” It seemed that Koal had found someone with information on the whereabouts of the item they had been looking for. Silver followed the child promptly. There was a subtle change in the way Silver walked at this point. Whilst it was normal for him to walk with a sort of casual confidence, in which he seemed to be trained by the armed forces, he now allowed his arms to be relaxed by his sides which, to both a careful observer and someone who was aware of such walks, gave the impression of him being both relaxed and able to snap someone  neck at any moment. 

@Aster

• 2 weeks later...

Even with so few details shared between the two, it wasn't surprising to infer their very different upbringings. She had caught glimpses of just how different of a world she lived in growing up behind the walls of her prestigious schools and family library. 'Danger' was practically a foreign concept to her, save for how it was described in the text on a page. It was no wonder she had opted for the build path she had in SAO, and how she typically kept to herself on the first floor while other players risked life and limb to clear the floors of this hundred-level tower.

The small boy scurried off down the streets of town, taking a couple of turns while the trio followed after him. Still facing away from the other two players, Koal's expression shifted in a slight discomfort. "All good, man." He said simply after Thorsten's apologies.

Down an uninteresting-looking alleyway, the child crouched down beside a silver, metal trash bin, reaching his hand behind it to retrieve what looked like a slightly heavy, leather-bound book. Its only defining feature was the design of a few meaningless 'runes' detailed on the front cover, and Aster's eyes widened as the boy turned and handed the book to Koal with a grin and both hands outstretched. The brunette took the item, reaching his other hand forward to ruffle the boy's hair. As he pulled back, the most subtle of movements resulted in the boy's fingers curling around a few coins that had been placed in his hand.

Koal turned to face the two behind him, wearing a small smirk as he moved forward and handed the ginger girl the book. "Here, don't lose it again." His scolding elicited a huff from the girl as she took her recipe book back and wrapped her arms around it, holding the item close to her chest. "Oh, err, thank you!" She realized the young boy had already turned and began to scurry off down the alley to be on his way. With a small sigh, and refraining from interrogating Koal about the whereabouts of her book, Aster turned to Thorsten with half a smile. "Well, thank you for the accompaniment. Since we're in town, were you interested in taking a look into one of the profession quests?"

• 1 month later...

Silver smiled at the exchange of the journal between his two comrades. He was pleased that the journal had made it back into the possession of its rightful owner. He hoped that Miss Aster would not find herself without it again. It would surely prove too be a harder find than this was. He listened to her speak, asking him what he would be wanting to do should he find himself with the opportunity to gain a profession. Though he was not sure the various occupations in this realm. Only that there was Alchemy. Thus, he thought about the question presented to him. It took him a moment to respond. “Indeed, I believe there is an occupation I would find myself happiest in. That is if such an occupation is available to me. You see, back when we resided in the realm which we came from, and after my father allowed me to settle down in a country, I took up woodworking. I made vast numbers of trinkets, necklaces and music boxes. Do you know if such an occupation is able to be achieved in this realm? I would probably find myself proficient in Alchemy should I find that a dire need however I do not believe that I should peruse it. I enjoy woodworking far more.”

@Aster

• 2 weeks later...

Koal had looked towards Aster as she had let out a huff and took the book into her arms, and said out a thank you. Koal had shook her head and said "There's honestly no reason to thank me. Just keeping track of your lost possessions." he had said out scolding her once more. Before long Koal had took a few steps forward away from the two as he wanted to look around for just a moment as Aster had spoke out to Thorsten. Turning back, Koal had seen that she had continued to stay close to him and then asked out if he was interested in looking into one of those profession quests. Koal had said out "I mean, who wouldn't be interested in getting one of the professions. Get to make your own items for free and be able to charge anyone any specific amount of coin you want seems to be a killer deal if you ask me." he had let out a chuckle saying out who honestly wouldn't be interested in one of the professions.

@Aster