[PP - F4] This Is Your World {Vanguard}

2711.jpg

Closed to members of the Vanguard.

The cabin was tucked into the base of a mountain, blanketed with snow, and protected by towering conifers. Despite being only mid-afternoon, the sun was already beginning its steady march over the horizon, leaving soft pastels in its wake. Evening was descending on the fourth floor with the delicate grace of a falling snowflake. The picturesque image remained entirely undisturbed, save for three sets of footprints, and a single voice.

"What if I'm making a mistake?"

Lessa stared into the fire, her arms crossed over her chest, the flames dancing in her blue eyes. She had opted to change into black pants, black boots, and an over-sized pink sweater, so to appear less intimidating to newcomers. Perhaps it was a wise move, but the woman felt naked without her heavy armor, which she had come to associate with strength and safety. Her blonde hair fell loosely across her shoulders, shifting as she hugged herself tighter. "Really though," she said again, turning to face the room's other two occupants. It was a small room, and the only one, considering the simple layout of the cabin.  To the left of the front door, a stone fireplace held the cheerfully crackling flames. Overstuffed chairs upholstered in pleasant red and black plaid crowded that half of the room, while a table and chairs filled the other. At that table, watching her closely, sat her two friends. Genji, who she had known the longest, and Shinsou, who she had only just met, both looked at her with unreadable expressions. She had once been so good at sensing emotions, and knowing just what people were thinking. Now, muddled by nerves and doubt, she blazed ahead.

"This is the third time I've tried to put together a guild," she explained, not caring if she had shared this fact before. "Either third time is the charm, or the universe is just telling me to knock it off."

Edited by Lessa

The Winter Wonderland. Many fledgling players called the fourth floor thusly due to its expansive tundra and deep snow drifts, but beneath the surface it proved a wholly hostile environment. Lessa had given him a brief tour of the surrounding area before retreating to the safe zone, an ever constant reminder that it was better not to travel alone.

She rarely talked about why, or what made her so passionate about that fact; but it was enough for Genji that she was. People died in this world, and they died without any good reason, in ways that they had no business dying. He often guessed it was because of someone she knew, or something she felt guilty about.

Above all, though, none of that was Genji's business. He tapped at the fresh brewed tea that the inkeep had prepared for him with a finger, testing it for warmth. It seemed suitable.

He guided the cup to his lips and took a sip, savoring the various herbs and spices as they flowed across his palate. "Delicious," he muttered to himself. Not many people on Aincrad would enjoy the subtleties of tea.

When Lessa spoke up, he placed his cup down and attended her words thoughtfully. "In my country, there is a saying," he offered with hope that his words would comfort her. "Fall down seven times, get up eight."

He gave her a serene smile, one of the few things he always seemed to bring with him. On the rare occasion that he angered, it was a ferocious sight indeed. 

Genji was a bit fit, but on the shorter side and somewhat pale. His off-white hair was messy and unkempt, and he tended toward loose fit, dark colored clothes. 

His eyes were a striking gold color.

A bored sigh could be heard alongside snow crunching underneath a pair of army-like boots. "I should stop visiting that old hag..." Despite the strong words, a smile was present on the blonde's expression as she muttered the complain. A small growl came from her side, as to afirme that she was overreacting. Almost obscured by the sound of their muffled footsteps and the harsh sound of the winds swaying through the snow covered tree tops, but the blonde registered her four-legged companion's vocal concern.  

With a small chuckle, the dark clad figure swiped a stray hair strand behind her back and turned to address the white lioness that was struggling to make her way through the ankle-high snow: "I know, I know... I owe her a lot for helping me out, despite the fact that she is a NPC. Also she gives you snacks every time we visit, so of course you'd take her side."

Ariel lets out another sigh before looking forward again: "I wish at least once, our visit wouldn't end with us being send on some wild errand for her though." Although she couldn't complain about their destination, having to descend on the fourth floor which she called 'home' a long time ago before relocating to the 11th floor. 

Earlier, she had to dispatch some specific mobs near the Glacial Cove in order to finish the errand and was now heading toward Snowfield Village. At the upper left corner of her field of vision a summary note of her stats was displayed, the blonde clicked her tongue as she once again eyed the depleted blue bar beneath her full green HP bar. "It took all my energy to grind before we got the drop that she wanted. A heads-up about that and I would've made some proper preparations. Anyway, if I remember right, this area has a very low mob presence since we're near the safe haven so we shouldn't worry too much. I can count on you if we get ambushed, right?" she muttered. Once again her spoken thoughts were answered with a louder growl this time but it wasn't a reply to her words but to bring something to her attention. 

Her silver eyes noticed a house not far ahead of them, that must've been the cause. The blonde stopped on her tracks and pointed towards it while looking at the small furball that seemed a bit exhausted despite putting a strong front while making her way through the snow. "Wanna take a break inside there? Maybe get a fire started?" After accepting her offer with a small apparently indifferent nod, Kimba made her way towards the house outpacing Ariel.The blonde couldn't help to track her from behind and let out a small chuckle.

Once they were at the entrance, the blonde dusted off the remnants of snow off the crow feathers trim of her cape and off her long skirt then loudly kicked the floor to clean her boots as well. Then she opened the door, not bothering to knock and see if there was already somebody there, despite the smoke coming out of the chimney. In the next second, the floor was filled with the sound of claws scraping against it as her white furred lioness hastily ran inside and after confirming the presence of 3 other people inside, curled up in front of the fireplace like she did back at Ariel's house.

Meanwhile the blonde looked at the three people around the fireplace and made a troubled expression before waving and asking: "Um... hey. Mind if we crash in for a while? I forgot how cold this floor was since the last time I was here." she didn't get a change to see their faces well and would most likely stay at the entrance, with the door wide open, until she gets a reply.

A message from his guild leader had popped up in his message box he read it over and let out a small sigh as he thought to himself ~really the Four floor~ he had only been

to that floor a handful of times. The frozen tundra landscape was beautiful and all, but he just didn't like the cold all to much he shook his head as. He put on black short sleeved jacket and

a Navy Blue long sleeve shirt and some boot on, it has been a long time since he has really done anything and just sitting around was starting to get boring, he made his way to the 4th floor

the moment he made it there a light breeze his pale skin and sent cold chills down his spin he shrived a bit and started to walk a little fast just to keep himself warm. As he walked along his

whitish blond hair would sway a bit as his greenish blue eyes took in the beautiful landscape as he got out of the town he would see a trail for foot steeps in the snow "Man I hope I'm not

the last one to show up" His since of timing was always been off. He fallowed the trail and finally come up to the small cabin outside the safe zone. Hmm I guess they have little cabins like

this for the players to take a short rest "He saw lights coming from the cabin and made his way to the door and would push it open Seeing Lessa, Genji,  Shi, and Ariel. He closed the door behind

him and would brush the snow off this shoulder and hair before bowing to them " Hello all sorry if I'm late" Claim was average height 5'10 and is extreme fit.

Edited by claim

If there was one thing Shinsou loved, it was a good winter level. If there was one thing he hated, it was a winter level populated by things designed wholly and exclusively to extinguish him.

Shadows danced around the occupants and along the walls of the cabin as the flames flickered from the fireplace. The bitter smell of burning kindling wafted into the Mancunian’s nose, stirring his senses in a way he would have preferred to not have experienced. As he slowly cast his ocean green eyes about the unfamiliar faces of Lessa's "Vanguard" guild, the man took in all the details. Each face had a name - Genji, Ariel, Claim and Lessa, but only Lessa's held any modicum of safety for him in this place. For the others, Shinsou could have been forgiven for being wary. He knew that a man may welcome his neighbour on a Monday and massacre him on a Tuesday without a thought, and no amount of pandering to guild regulations or codes would be able to stop anyone should they put Shinsou in their sights. That being said, there was something about the collective's aura that lent itself to security. Genji's sagely words filled his mind and he found himself nodding to himself silently at the anecdote. Claim and Ariel weren't setting off any alarm bells at the moment.

As Shinsou sat up in his nicely upholstered seat, he gripped his spear just a little tighter. The Mancunian briefly sat up before glancing towards the window and began to take in the reality of today; a freezing cold, snowy dawn. Sleet began pelting the glass, and suddenly the view of the looming expanse through the flawed transparency was distorted by thick streaks of white.

"In my country, we have a saying too," Shinsou smiled, "Press X to not die."

He joked, but Shinsou stared icily at the outside, thinking upon the significance of the reputation of this floor amongst the lower level players. He was nowhere friendly, judging from the rumours in the town of beginnings and the way that even Lessa felt uncomfortable without armor outside of the safe zone.

The worries crumbled from his mind as his eyes fell upon the assorted pieces of his inventory. Included were his cloth armor and spear, Enpera. They were the only things he could truly trust in this bizarre situation. So far, the monsters weren’t doing a very good job of killing him. This led Shinsou to believe something else far worse entirely was going to happen to him, and soon.

Edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris

As he always did, Genji had the perfect nugget of wisdom for her situation. She had come to think of him as her own personal fortune cookie. Or her own personal Mr. Miyagi. He could probably catch a fly between two chopsticks...

The cabin's only door slammed open, cold air sending fine snowflakes swirling above the worn rug. From the burst of winter emerged a white lioness, thundering from the entrance to a spot before the fire. Lessa had to stumble backward to provide room, and even still, snow from the creature dampened her slacks. Her first thought was for Riker, her own familiar, who had been lounging beneath the table by Genji and Shinsou's feet. The typically laid-back wolf's ears were perked, and his head tilted in interest. True to his name, the brute was probably trying to figure out the best way to meet the lioness.

Turning back to the doorway, Lessa was greeted by the sight of a familiar blonde. Confusion melted into recognition, and then warm excitement. "Ariel!" she called to her old guildmate, grinning. She could hardly begin to explain the woman's appearance, but she was thrilled nonetheless. It had been so long since they had last spoken. Further, there was some comfort in being with Ariel again, considering the player was also a two-time Guardian. "You're welcome to crash! We were actually just having our first guild meeting." Then, shyly, "Supposing you would be willing to try a third time with me."

Another player moved up behind Ariel, and after a moment's pause, she recognized him as Claim. Smiling, she gave him a small wave. "Hey Claim! It is great to see you again. Grab a seat!"

Now that the majority of her guild had collected, the leader turned to address them all. "I know these get togethers can be a bit awkward," she confessed, giving a small shrug. "Honestly, I find myself going back into teacher-mode, and encouraging you all to do an icebreaker. You know, say your name, level, and something interesting about yourself." Her smile was light, if not a little nervous. It had been a long time since she had spoken to so many people at once.

"But I think we can figure this all out without making each other too uncomfortable. So I'll start, then we can just get it done, and talk more about the purpose of the guild." Inadvertently pressing her palm to her chest, she stated, "My name is Lessa. I haven't really thought about levels or builds in a while. I just want to see what else the world has to offer."

Lessa hadn’t told him anything he didn’t already know, but it was still good to see her interact with her guildmates. Here, where Shinsou became sure there was nothing false about anything she had told him before, he suddenly felt safe to speak in front of this assortment of characters.

"I’m Shinsou Vaan Osiris," The blonde haired man exclaimed, nodding to Lessa, who nodded back. "I’m as green as it gets here. That’s right, you all heard correctly; level one without so much as a single experience point to my name. Don’t let that fool you, though; whilst some people might take a look at me and think I’m weak, I’m a quick learner. Once I learn the ropes here, you can bet I’ll be difficult to stop. As for the rest? Well, I work on trust. We’ll figure the rest out as we go, but its nice to meet you."

The party, their spirits now a little higher and their bodies a little warmer, was starting to loosen up. The cold had slacked off a bit, but some clouds rolling in overhead outside the cabin were still menacing enough to keep the entire fourth floor under a pall of snow that made it look like a vast tundra. Shinsou could feel the warmth in his body slowly seeping away again as the fire began to slow. Outside of the window, looming on the horizon and dominating the skyline, was a mountain range. It could have been a skybox, or perhaps actual scenery programmed into the game, but its sheer size and weight seemed to pull the entire floor towards itself.

As he looked over at Lessa it had been a long time. Sence the two had met. He was glad that she was still around. A lot of players that he knew went inactive.  He smiled and nodded back at Lessa.  His attention would then shift over to  Shinsou Vaan Osiris and the rest of the guildmates  He would slight move away from the door as he rests his back against the wall of the cabin. His left hand would rub his right shoulder as he spoken in a light tone " well it nice to meet you all. My name is Claim as fare as good quality goes if you need a helping hand ill be there I might be a bit rusty in battle but ill get back in the swing of thing again. I'm level 13"  It should take him to long to start push throw levels again. As this was a meet and greet for the guild He wondered what Lessa would have them do after everyone had introduced them self.

Edited by claim

At first, the blonde was a taken aback by the sudden mention of her name and took a hard look around. Considering her recent reputation, it would be a lie to say that the though of summoning her main weapon didn't cross her mind. Just in case any of the inhabitants of this little save haven in the middle of the snow had any ill intent. 

However she let out a relieved sigh as little by little, the familiarity of the voice addressing her sparked a little flare inside a small forgotten corner of her heart, in the same time stimulating her memory. Now realizing who she was speaking with, the blonde returned a gentle smile to her grinning ex-guildmaster. Adjusting her stance in a knightly fashion, left hand resting against the pommel of her dark ornamental rapier, the blonde brought her right fist in front of her heart and said with conviction: "I will answer your summon anytime you need me..." then her voice lowered, a tinge of loneliness could be felt in her tone. She looked to the side and somewhat downcast, continued: "As long as you don't pay mind to the rumors around me on the front lines."

Then the blonde took a seat next to the rest of them and heard each of them out. She had suspected, mainly do to their gear,  to be in the lower spectrum level-wise, and honestly... she was a little relieved when they confirmed it themselves. Luckily, the outwear she had donned today was mainly comprised of unenhanced items, so there was little indication of her level... with a bit of luck she could dodge giving a specific number as she felt that it would distance her from them.

Adjusting her position on the chair, resting one leg over the other and letting the side slit of her long skirt reveal her bare leg, she tried to smile naturally as she introduced herself: "The name's Ariel.. and the white furball there is Kimba" she pointed at the happy lioness now purring in front of the fireplace, her ears slightly perking at the mention of her name.
"You could say I am one who focuses mainly on dealing damage in bursts... as much as I can ." It felt out of place to sing her own praises, she she would stop at that... instead she would direct her attention to something that touched her foot under the table. "And who's this little guy?" she asked with a grin as she took a peek under the table.