[PP - F11] Memories

And they were young and independent, and they thought they had it planned.
Should have known right from the start you can't predict the end.

Closed to Ryo

The house was massive.

Truth be told, calling the dwelling a "house" was doing it a pretty extreme disservice. "Mansion" would be a more apt title. "Manor." "Castle." "Hotel." Regardless, the sprawling estate put the back room in Lessa's shop to shame. So this is how the rich and famous live, she mused, with only a hint of bitterness. What was required for someone to acquire such an abode? Massive amounts of col? The slaughter of a million floor-one boars? A blood sacrifice? She would have guessed first-borns, if that sort of thing were possible in Aincrad.

A sudden creaking drew her from her thoughts. The grand double doors swung outward before her, revealing the man she had spoken with earlier that morning. What had he said his name was? Alfred Pennysworth, Lessa decided. What other name could possibly fit such a snappily dressed NPC? Even as he smiled down at her, the elderly gentleman adjusted his jacket. "Madam Lessa," he greeted in that classic butler voice. "So kind of you to make the trip."

"And miss seeing Wayne Manor?" she asked incredulously. When the Alfred only blinked at her, she gave a soft sigh. "It was curiosity, mostly." Her confession seemed wasted on the man, but it was still the truth. The butler had sought her out himself, insisting that a player named Ryo hoped to speak with her regarding the Zelrius. He had referenced her short stint in the Azure Brigade, which was most likely where he had learned of her in the first place - her friendship with Zel had been incredibly private. At first, she had decided against going, citing her complete lack of knowledge regarding this Ryo character. In the end, however, her desire to learn more about the dual blade wielder. 

"So where should I be meeting this Ryo?"

Pennyworth greeted the blonde woman. "Madam Lessa, so kind of you to make the trip." He said, as polite as one of his age could be. The woman's attempt at humor went over the poor NPC's head. He knew not of this 'Wayne Manor', only of this estate. Perhaps it was another manor, from a different land. She then admitted that her curiosity got the best of her. "Ah, curiosity caught the cat you know," Pennyworth said as he stepped aside, allowing Lessa inside. Pennyworth took the woman's jacket and hung it up beside the door on a rack. "He'll be in the Living Room Madam Lessa. Please follow me, and pardon our dust. We're," Pennyworth took a breathe as if he showed slight resentment. "Remodeling. This way, please." Pennyworth said, taking the woman to the living room. Pennyworth opened the door first for himself and announced the arrival of Less.a "Master Ryo sir. Madam Lessa has arrived."

Ryo stood from his seat, fixing the black jacket he wore. "Thank you Pennyworth. That should be all for now." Ryo said, waving the man off. He stepped around one of the many leather chairs making his way to Lessa. "Ah, you are as beautiful as I have heard," Ryo said, giving the woman a polite bow. The woman was, taller than he imagined but then again he was shorter than her. And she didn't look Japanese all that much either. What with her blonde hair, and striking blue eyes. "Ah forgive me for staring," Ryo said, taking a few steps back. "Here, please. Have a seat, and we can get started." He said, taking up his old seat.

"I'll begin," Ryo said, touching his chest. "I'm Ryo, owner of this manor and future hero of the front lines. And I am sure you have your share of questions. All of which I'm ready to answer." He said, crossing one leg on top of the other and leaning back into his chair.

The stranger led with flattery, something that immediately put Lessa on alert. He was far from the first to comment on her appearance, but the words typically came from drunkards in bars. Instead, she was standing in the man's house, entirely unarmed and unprotected. Her fingers itched to summon her HUD, and the more logical side of her brain urged her to run; in her years aboard the floating tower, she had come to learn that not all threats were constructed of data. Player killers preyed upon the unsuspecting and the unprepared, and she had prided herself on never being either. What was she doing?

Learning about Zelrius, cried her emotional side. She was there to find out whatever there was to know, and fight to clear his name, were the opportunity to arise. Her old guild mate was dead, but her interest in him was far so. As such, she took the seat he offered, but crossed her arms tightly against her chest. 

"Future hero of the frontlines?" she echoed, though not unkindly. Rather, there was a trace of hesitation in her tone. Was that really what he aspired to be? "Well," she decided aloud, "someone's got to do it." Lessa shifted, the leather protesting beneath her. "I suppose my first question is why exactly I've been invited here. What it is you think I might be able to do for you."

Edited by Lessa

Ryo tilted his head from the woman's response. A grand manor, a butler, and a compliment we're all done to appease. But she was still tense, still on edge. A world where friends come and go apparently does that to a person. But still she stayed. Perhaps she thought that she had no escape, or her curiosity kept her in place. Ryo chuckled slightly at hearing someone else say hero of the front line.

"Someone has to be it indeed." He agreed. "Now, the reason I've asked you to come is simple, yet requires some backstory. I'll be as brief as I can." Ryo said addjusting his weight, the leather creaking beneath him. "A few months after being trapped in this game I went outside the safety of the first floor. I had fallen, and was trapped. A man came to my aide and rescued me. That man was Lowenthal. " Ryo said. "Now Lowenthal was a hero to all. At least, I believed he would've been. But alas, he's not here anymore. I want to find out what he thought. How, more rather. So Lessa, this is why I called you here."

"As the last member of the Azure Brigade. I need to know everything you can tell me about it. From the way people acted, interacted, how it was run everything that comes to mind. If you can?" Ryo said, asking the woman what he needed to know.

Though already sitting straight-backed in the chair, Lessa grew more tense, strung as tightly as a guitar string. "Lowenthal?" she repeated, lips turning downward into a frown. Not Zelrius? "Your butler gave the impression that-" She stopped suddenly, shaking her head, and deciding it was pointless to argue the deeds of an NPC. Rather, she would play along until it was revealed she was no help at all to this player. Then, she would be asked to leave, and that was just as well.

"I hardly knew Lowenthal," she explained, smoothing her palms along her slacks. "Furthermore, I only belonged to the Azure Brigade for a very short time. I joined to be closer to my friend, Zelrius. When he was killed, I saw no need to remain a member any longer. I never felt much like a part of the guild either." Perhaps the last sentence was unnecessary, and the bitterness in her tone only added insult to injury. Still, she might as well share all she had to. "Ssendom was kind enough to give me a sword, though I've since passed it along to someone else."

What was the point of it all? "So I wonder if maybe I'm not the right person to ask about all of this."

Ryo's hand slunk down onto his lap. Less had no information to give him, at least not about his quarry. But she had mentioned being good friends with Zelrius. He let the thought run through his mind for a moment, as he searched for the words to ask the correct question. "You were on good terms with Zelrius? What was he like?" Ryo pulled out a small notepad from his inventory. Most of his current notes were of those who had heard of Zelrius and had only met him via boss raids. But the chance to talk to someone who knew Zelrius on a personal level was like finding a demonic sword on a boar. This was a chance he'd probably never get again. He cleared his throat. "From what I gathered, Zelrius was a spoiled brat who abused his power and pull to make things easier on himself, and on Azure Brigade. But, I have a feeling that's not the kind of man Zelrius was." Ryo said, leaning on his knees now. He had never had the chance to meet Zelrius, which was saddening in its own right. But he also felt that everyone was a bit too harsh on the poor lad.

@Lessa