PP-F2: R E T U R N

Her name was but a long forgotten whisper. Her innocent smile filled with earnest. Forgotten. Wide and curious emerald eyes, ever questioning the world around her and ever lingering on those she spoke to. Forgotten. Silken wisps of lilac that danced about a small frame dressed in nothing more than a simple white cotton dress. A whimsical voice with a tuneful tone that constantly questioned, guided, and loved all those around her. Forgotten.

Everything that was once Esther amongst the world of Aincrad was gone.

Whatever trials and tribulations the girl faced during her time with a guild whose name was lost to time were far behind her and did not...could not bother the girl. She had nary the recollection of her time there. Her memory was not gone, that would be far too convenient, but it was hazy. Figures danced across her memories but they were shrouded in static that no matter how hard she tried, she could not see through. Instead of dwelling on a past that was better left forgotten Esther chose to return to what she knew and what did she know?

The simple things.

A dainty hand reached down and gently picked up a yellow flower, in a field of many, just outside the walls of the town. She bought it up to her face and twirled it between thumb and forefinger. The sunlight bounced off the silken leaves just so and Esther couldn't help but smile as she silently placed it into a basket she loosely held at her side. 

Today was a day just like any other.

Like any other day... 

Wind rustled through leaves just outside Urbus, and the near endless field of grass wavered. Somewhere not far away, the cool, crisp waters of a stream flowed without a care in the world. The second floor of Aincrad was unassumingly placid. What cares he had, Genji postponed in favor of a relaxing walk through calmer waters.

His naked feet felt chilled as he took his first steps into the stream and for a moment his entire body shook. Once he adapted, the pleasant cool slowly crept up his legs and toward his spine, and the aspirant swordsman relaxed with both eyes closed.

Simplicity.

In life, we become too aware of the difficulties and lose sight of the most basic of pleasures. Food that we eat, water to drink, and sleep that we must take in. The simple act of walking across a road becomes arduous, and we overcomplicate it with notions of fear and uncertainty. In life, simplicity soothes, and complexity hardens.

As his eyes opened, he observed the most innocent of sights: a girl dressed in pure white, picking a flower. His gaze softened and his lips turned into a serene smile. These were the sort of moments that validated his desire to protect others. This was certainly someone worthy of being saved.

A day, like any other, filled with reasons to live.

The silver haired youth took a step out of the water, and as it dripped heavily from his feet, he called out to the unknown woman. 

"Pleasant day, is it not?"

Edited by Genji

Esther glanced up at the sound of a friendly voice. A man, who couldn't be any older, nor younger than her was waving. She glanced around wondering if he was indeed talking to her. She pointed to herself. "M-me?" He laughed in response and nodded. "Oh!" She blinked "OH!" Esther smiled and waved in return.

"Yes! I love it." She glanced up at the sun then back to him. "I love this floor. This place. Times like these. I wish people would take a break and let the sun warm their backs. You know?"

He smiled in return, "I couldn't agree more. My-"

"OH!" Esther interrupted him. "Here."

Esther reached out and carefully placed a yellow dandelion behind the man's ear. Her action was gentle, and done with such thought and consideration that her small brows furrowed in concentration, glossed lips pursed and she had even stopped breathing. She let out a breath as she stood back, admiring her work. "There." Esther said with a warm smile. "Now you can carry the sun wherever you go."

The wisps of white reminded her of an old friend, of a youth named Lycan. Despite the past, Esther had no bitter resentment in her heart. It was simply a fleeting memory laced with fondness, the kind that made her heart skip a beat and the kind that made her feel warm. The kind that put her into the position of staring at the man before her. The man whose brilliant golden eyes regarded her with mild curiosity.

"OH!" Esther jumped, startling herself. She extended her hand. "I am so very sorry! That was probably. Ah. Rude of me yes? I Just thought well, you looked like you could use a splash of colour and it matched your eyes and your smile and, uhm -" She took a breath to stop her erratic chatter. "I am Esther. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Ah, no, the pleasure is... mine?" That was the right thing to say, wasn't it? Or did that sound too crass. Don't think about it now. Keep talking! Kotarou adjusted the hem of his sleeve for a moment as he tried to think of the best thing to say. Nothing came to him.

"I saw you out here, just enjoying the day," he finally decided to point out, "much the same as I was. It is rare to see someone in this... world," he took a breath, uncertain of what else to call their current living circumstances. "...quite so willing to step back and relax from time to time. I find it refreshing."

The swordsman reached up and felt at the flower she placed in his hair absently. While he had no lasting enjoyment for all things floral, he could appreciate a gesture made in kindness. Genji gave a respectful bow. "I am Genji," he told her, somewhat obvious to the western style handshake she had offered. They learned about it in school, once- but that only happened in the business world, right?

Ah- is that what that was?

Esther smiled, not catching the awkwardness that Genji portrayed. She vigorously shook his hand. Feeling elated and delighted to find such a like minded individual. "Yes!" She laughed a melodic laugh that was bright and full of life. "Let's say the pleasure is for the both of us!" Esther gave Genji's hand one firm squeeze, enjoying the warmth of another before letting go.

"It is rare! I used to try and bring Miss Mari out here all....the...time..." As the sentence left her lips,  the exuberant smile fell. Mari... "I do hope she is ok." Esther muttered, biting her lower lip. Esther, as always rattled on, and began to explain herself without being asked. "She's a PKer on the tenth floor you see. She has done so much wrong, but the world has tossed and thrown her all around. I only wanted to make her happy." Esther laughed as she took a step back. She scratched the back of her head. "Ah... I am rambling. I'm sorry. Genji."

Esther wasn't always bright, but she did catch sight of his bow. She dipped her head in return. "Are you uhm... Japanese?" Esther asked, eyes widening in delight. "Oh! I tried learning Japanese in conjunction with my minor in english. Your written language is so beautiful." 

Esther abruptly sat down in the ground and tapped the floor next to her. "Please! Come sit with me. I have some tea. Would you care to join?"

The girl named Esther spoke so quickly and seemingly without thought that Genji had no time to feel uncertain. Before she finished one idea, the next already flowed from her lips like a river with no dam, gushing out into the open and flooding the field around them with a million new and different thoughts. None of them seemed coherent, but neither did Genji seem to mind.

Someone with so much to talk about must be lonely indeed.

She spoke about a PKer, something of no more than fleeting interest to the youth. Asked if he were Japanese, and he nodded. She complimented the language, but before he could continue, she offered tea. Genji chuckled slightly and held out a hand.

"Tea would be wonderful," he confirmed. "Thank you for the invitation." He spoke in a formal way and gave a half now, then retreated back a step to a more healthy distance. He still had difficulties with closeness to others, despite being a grown man.

Esther frowned as she lighty tapped the ground again with her palm. "Sit.  Sit. Please." 

With a flick of her wrist she opened up her menu and with another flourish, a small teaset appeared. It was nothing notable, plain white pot and two plain cup and saucer sets. They were dull, but served their purpose well enough. Esther continued talking, filling in the empty space that Genji left.

"I went there for a few months, as part of a cultural tour. I didn't get to see Tokyo but I spent a lot of time in Osaka, and Nara. My homestay family were absolutely lovely." Esther poured the drinks, the kettle clinked against the glass as she was less than graceful. The liquid was a dark hue of brown and had a floral scent. "Here. It's Earl Grey. I hope you like it." She held up a shaky cup toward Genji, trying her best not to let it topple onto the grass.

As she waited for him to take it, she steered the conversation back toward him. "I don't see many players down here these days. Did you come here to enjoy the scenery, or are you on other business?"

He fidgeted as she spoke and watched her hand prompt him to sit down. Genji started to speak, but he noticed what her hands were doing- a traditional tea set? As she continued to tell him about her time in Japan, bits and pieces began to fall into place. Ah, she's a lover of the culture.

He tilted his head and chanced a step closer, then sat adjacent to her quietly. "Earl Grey," he repeated the name as he accepted the cup graciously, tasted it, and closed his eyes. "Stronger than I'm used to," he admitted, "but not at all bad."

He let the tea come to rest on the saucer and matched her gaze. "I came to relax," he answered her final question, and his lips turned up in a smile. "There should be more of that, I would contend; but I'm no more than a lowly swordsman, eh?" 

Genji took one more sip and placed the saucer to rest in his lap. "What brings you to the lower floors?" he asked, "or do you remain here for the more peaceful atmosphere?"

Esther fell silent, a rarity in and of itself as she pondered his question. Why did she return here? She spoke slowly and thoughtfully. "I think...I enjoy it here, I tend to bother people. They call me naive and foolish. I know a few higher levelled players, but they don't treat me with...: " She pursed her lips as she tried to think of the right words. It wasn't like Mari and Domarus, and Lycan and the rest saw her in a bad light, they each were nice to Esther in their own way. Still...

"They don't exactly treat me like an adult. I admit, I see everything half full. I ask a lot of questions, and I refuse to place any skills into combat - I'm a pacifist, but I am not a child. Rather..." Esther took a sip of her tea and relaxed her shoulders, rolling them back and inhaling deeply. "Rather... I look after them here, from time to time. To think children are in this place... I want them to still be kids. I don't want this experience to destroy their innocence."

Esther turned to Genji with a smile. She was enjoying his company. "I think a swordsman is a noble role. The world needs its protectors after all."

• 4 weeks later...

In his youth, Genji suffered through similar belittlement from both his parents and responsible adults, including teachers and coaches. Several leading doctors tried to diagnose him with labels like ADHD, or Asperger's, but he managed to maintain grades near the top of his class. Despite his social ineptitudes, he was perfectly capable of learning and functionality in a scholastic unit.

It did lead him to ostracism, and it created awkward situations with peers in his age group. Because of how different he was, people shunned him and treated him like an enigma.

He understood all too well what Esther was saying. "People who haven't lived your struggle rarely understand your reasons. That hardly makes you wrong."

He sipped once more at the tea she brewed, concentrating on both the complex flavor and the woman in front of him.

"The decision not to fight is hardly less bold than the one everyone else has made. Who would protect and raise the children, if not for your sacrifice?"

He thought it sad, that even in this world people never changed.

"You look every bit a woman to me," he added to reassure her.

Esther smiled as she shifted to a more comfortable position, pulling her legs underneath her. "Perhaps you're right Genji. Sometimes, I see what everyone else is doing...and I guess I am comparing myself by the wrong standards. I compare myself to the frontliners in a combat and tactic standpoint and I feel as though I'm useless, but..." Her thumbs traced the rim of her cup once more. 

"But..." her voice fell quiet. "I should really look at things from different perspectives. I am no doubt far more motherly than many of them. I think... many of the frontliners are children who have lost their way and I just..." Esther bit her lip. It'd do her no good to get over emotional now. "I want to help. I want to help everyone. But you're right Genji." The corners of her lips tweaked up into the faintest of smiles. Esther shut her eyes as the gentle breeze picked up lilac hair, which danced around her stationary form. She sat so very still for a few minutes it was almost as though she were a statue. 

"Genji..." She said, breaking her silence. "You're a wise man. Thank you."

The next words he awkwardly uttered caused Esther's eyes to rise to meet his. Her gaze questioning and curious, the flush of embarassment rising to her cheeks as she for one moment, misinterpreted his kind words. "I look like w-what now!?" She glanced down at her petite form, not exactly 'womanly' by any means, but not childish either. Esther never really thought much about her own body, her curves or the sway of her hips... that sort of thing seemed... strange to her. "I uh.. uhm...." She smoothed down her clothes, how was one supposed to respond in such a situation?

"Thank you."

Now what? Was the correct response to compliment him in return? "Youlookeverybitawomantometoo!" She quickly blathered out. Her eyes widened as she realized her mistake. "I mean- uh. A man! Yeh that! You look. I mean, you have.. you have a nice jawbone and I- ahh...." her eyes danced over his casually dressed form. "Collarbone? I uhm..." She turned to her tea and quickly downed the last of it to avoid digging herself into a further hole. 

Bad idea.

She started choking, tears in her eyes as she lowered the cup and hit her sternum hard with a balled fist.

"Woman," he repeated as she appeared dumbstruck at his assertion. "You know, post maturity human female-?" Before he could finish explaining, Esther launched into a fully awkward reciprocation, which caused the Shibuyan youth to stare at her blankly.

Then, he laughed.

He laughed, because for the first time he genuinely was not the only clueless one in the room. His gaze watched her hands smooth the clothing over her body with a small smile- he never intended to make her think whatever it was she had, but for that moment, he hardly minded.

"Sorry about that," he crooned in a low voice as he leaned toward her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

Esther nodded as she straightened her back. "Y-yeh. I drank too fast." She wiped her face with the  back of her hand and turned to Genji, her cherub-like face pursed together in a pout. "What! What's so funny! You're the one throwing around compliments..."

She turned away, lips still pursed. "At least... I mean - I thought you were commenting on my body and I didn't know how to handle that." Esther sighed, she had realised she had been mistaken with his next words. How silly of her. Esther wasn't really the type people 'fell' for. She was more the type people considered a sister, caregiver, or best friend. And frankly. Esther was fine with that. She wasn't actively seeking such relationships. She didn't like the idea of being bound to one person.

"You're so technical Genji. Geez..." Esther turned her eyes back to him, her expression softening. "I... guess you can ignore the awkward comments about your bone structure then." she offered him a smile. "I suppose it's a bit of a weird thing to notice about someone, even if it is true, huh?"

Esther straightened her back, reaching over to grasp Genji's hand. She offered it a reassuring squeeze before letting go. "At least I made you laugh! Mission of the day, a success."