[F1-SP] Power of the written word <<Earning a living>> [COMPLETE]

Drawing sketches of equipment, and dreaming up new ideas for trinkets had begun to dominate David's mind of late. He thought back to his day spent with Hestia, and tried to remember the name of the quest she had told him to take if he wanted to pursue a profession. Playing around with his menu one night the teacher turned gamer discovered it. <<Earning a living.>>. "What an interesting concept" he thought as he read out the quest's requirements. It wouldn't be too hard it seemed. All he had to do was to find an NPC that practiced the profession he wanted in on, and ask them to teach him.

The next morning that is exactly what David set out to do. At exactly 0600 server time he was out the door and bound for the marketplace in the Town of Beginnings. Surely there was an NPC crafter or two that could show him the ropes.

Edited by David_Black

Strolling up and down the stone brick streets of the Town of Beginnings marketplace David's eyes were wide open with wonder. There were hundreds of stalls, each one with a different type of good on display. Counters filled with swords, knives, axes, and the like. Tables topped with various vials, flasks, and bottles filled to the brim with an array of colorful liquids. Baskets packed to the top with crystals that hummed with magic. There were restaurants, coffee bars, fish mongers. None of these jobs however seemed to appeal to David. None of them jumped out at him as something he would like to do.

"Too bad there is no money in being a teacher in this world. It's all I ever wanted to do for a living." David said kicking at a stone on the ground. From behind him David felt a gentle tap on his shoulder. It was the hand of a wrinkled old man who was hunched over carrying a large bundle on his back.

Edited by David_Black
Didn't want posts to merge, but they did.

"I couldn't help but overhear what you were saying young man" The old timer began. "You wish there was a way to make money teaching in this world? Well I can help you there. I'm an artisan by trade. Make all kinds of things for folks, but when I'm doing what I want I write books. You see in Aincrad an Artisan is able to make everyday objects give the user powerful enhancements. I can write a cookbook for a man, and he will be making dishes fit for a king in no time at all. I don't even need to know much about the topic to do it. All I need is to ask the right questions of the right people. The magic of my creations takes care of the rest."

It was at this moment that David knew this was clearly what he wanted to do. Not only could he teach people through writing, but he could also make them more effective at whatever it was they wanted to learn just by being in possession of one of his items.

"Teach me." He said without hesitation.

From there David followed the man back to his "workshop". In reality this was just a one room hovel with a couple of writing desks, and a couple chairs. Short bookcases lined the walls, and various knick knacks littered every avaliable surface. Some of them even had price tags affixed as if they were meant for sale. David wondered how anyone would ever have known to come into this building to buy any of these objects as there was no discernable sign outside to lead them to believe it was a shop.

As the pair entered the building the old man strained for a moment with his burdern. Sensing his trouble David went over to help him set it down. The parcel that had been wrapped in cloth and tied around the old man's back like a make shift pack was not all that heavy to the reasonably fit twenty five year old, but he understood the old man's struggle. They set it on top of one of the writing desks, and the old man unwrapped it. inside was what looked to be a ream of some of the finest paper David had ever seen.

"Enough here for one of my books, and only one. That is if I don't make any mistakes." The old man said grinning. The gaps where some of his teeth were missing made the fellow all the more endearing.

The old man sat down in his chair, and picked up a brass nibbed quill that was laying by the inkwell. He dipped it a few times, and set to work writing. Hours passed like minutes as the wide eyed scholar watched this master of the written word work. By the time the sun had set the old man had used up about half of his paper, and stopped only to stretch and light a few candles. As he sat down, and began scribbling at a furious pace once more, he cleared his throat and began to speak.

"If you're to make any money doing this kind of work you will need to be efficient. Get orders done quickly, and mass produce a few of your more common requests so that there is always something sitting on your shelves. I don't expect you'll have much luck with it in the beginning. No one does. It takes a large investment in both time, and money to get as good as I am, and I still have not reached the highest rank of my craft. Names Barnabas by the way. Now take a seat if you're gonna stand there gawking. You're blocking my light."

David sat in that dusty, and cramped little workshop for the next two days watching Barnabas pen his book. He read every word as the old man wrote it stopping only to get food for the pair of them, and change out the ever lowering candles. As the third day came to a close Barnabas put his quill down, and stood up. 

He went over to a bin in the corner, and retrieved a leather for covering and a small black box. He wrapped the carefully ordered pages in the cover, dribbled molten wax down the pages where the spine would go, and pulled a thick needle, and spool of coarse thread from the box. He set to work with a steel punch, and mallet carefully making holes in the book through which to sew it together. By the end of the process a fine manuscript sat on the desk before them bearing the title: An Artisan's lot, by B.M.

"What does it do?" David asked snatching up the book, and thumbing through the first few pages. The table of contents listed a great many types of trinkets, jewlery, and statues that a player might create if they had the inclination, tools, time, and materials. It all seemed easy enough, but there was certainly more to it than assembling the perfect combination of factors to creae a simple item. No there was the bit that Barnabas had mentioned earlier. The sacrifice of time, and money to actually learn the skill.

Barnabas laughed, and slapped David firmly right between the shoulder blades. "Silly boy, it's a book. You read it, and you learn things. I thought you were some kind of teacher or something? You don't seem that bright to me. I'm too old for a formal apprenticeship so this is my way of setting you on your path. Take this book, and read it cover to cover. Then make me something. Anything with the knowledge you gather from these pages. Come back to me with the item you made, and I'll gladly mark your name down as a Journeyman Artisan."

It was then that a menu popped in to David's view. It read as follows:

Do you accept the quest <<Earning a living>>, From Barnabas the Artisan?

[accept]  [decline]

David pressed the button for accept without even thinking about it.

David dashed all the way back to Hiro's Tavern positively bubbling over with excitement. Hestia had told him how rewarding a profession would be, and now he was going to get to see that first hand. Throwing open the heavy door to the tavern David burst in and found himself a nice single seated table in a corner to curl up at. He set the book down on to the table, and flipped open it's pages to Chapter 1: appreciating the art of others. His eyes glued to the page David let himself drift away into the words.

After about 3  hours of reading (and some six chapters later) non-stop David's eyes began to swim. He needed a break, and bad. Wanting to still keep busy on this endeavor David plucked an unburnt bit of charcoal from the fire, and carved it down into a point. He then procured some paper, and laid it out at his table. Within moments he began to scribble away; drawing out his next idea.

The next morning Hiro discovered David still at his table. Six sketches wadded up on the floor, and one particularily good one sitting on the bar. The behemoth of a man had his face pressed against chapter 10 of his book "Empowering the work". As Hiro peeled it out from under David's head he was able to make out a piece from the first page of that chapter.

"The more time, effort, and planning you put into the construction of your artifice the better enhancement effects will bond to it. Take this for example: A hastily made brass, and topaz ring might have enough of the crafter's spirit attached to it to to manifest a single enhancement of modest power where as a lovingly chiseled, sanded, and polished marble figurine carved with ancient runes of power might manifest three. Your intention for the artifice should be clear during it's entire construction. From planning to finish. This intention will build up as you work, and cause the manifestation of the enhancement itself."

David began to stir just as Hiro closed the book, and set it beside him. He stretched, eyes still closed and let out a mighty yawn. As usual for the overly cheerful man a wide smile crossed his face shortly thereafter. There was absolutely no reason to be unhappy. He was soaking up the knowledge in the book at an incredible rate. At this pace he would be well on his way to crafting that item for Barnabas in less time than it took the man to write the book. His eyes creaked open, and he began to wipe the sleep from them.

"Rise and shine Sensei. I need you to get up and move this party to your room. Guests will start coming in soon." Hiro greeted his teacher. The sun had long been up, and it was nearly midday. Not that Hiro cared what David was going to be doing with his days, but he still had a business to run.

"I'm up, I'm up" David said through his next, less pronounced yawn. There was all the time in the world to lay in bed, but he had work to do. There was more than half the book left to finish, and he wanted to get a head start. The sooner he finished reading, and learning from this book the sooner he would be able to revise his designs. Better plans meant more detail, and more detail meant stronger artifices. Stronger Artifices ultimately meant more Col. That part of it however was very far from now.

For the moment David gathered all of his things, and took them upstairs to his room. He sat underneath the window, and once more opened his book to pour through it's pages. He had a lot of ground still left to cover. Looking to his last sketch of the the previous night David Black smiled. Hestia would be proud of him the next they met.

Two days later David had finished the book, and come up with about a dozen more sketches for the piece he was to bring back to Barnabas. It was a simple thing; jewler's loupe with five degrees of magnification.  Nothing too special, but it's difficulty was in the details. David had sketched it out with tiny writing engraved all around the rim. It was a simple poem designed to inspire the craftsman using the loupe to be dilligent in their work. It read thus:

They say the devil is in the details
    Well I'm afraid I disagree,
    The devil is in the final product
    Not being what you wished to see
    So forget about the bigger picture
    climb back into your hole
    and live among the details
    Where you have the best control.

The young educator laughed as he read over his work. It was overly simple, but all of the right intention was there. After all that is what truely mattered.

Since David had not actually been awarded his profession title in game he knew that whatever item he created could only be of Vanity quality. This meant that it could not have any enhancements put upon it. This was fine as he had no practical use for the loupe at this stage anyways, but it would serve as a reminder to him that he should always work hard, and stay focused on the details. There was still the small matter of gathering the required materials and tools. A quick trip to the blacksmith, and the marketplace would be all that would be needed. David grabbed a quill, and some paper to begin writing down his list of materials.

1: Fine chisels.
2: Brass, or both copper and zinc to make it.
3: Glass or Crystal.
4: files, and sand paper.

Most of these items would be cheap, and easy to acquire but because glass and crystal were so often used in the alchemist's craft David knew he might have a hard time procuring them.

List in hand David made his way for the door. The marketplace was close at hand, and he knew exactly where he wanted to stop in first. There was an NPC blacksmith who specialized in tools for professions that might be able to provide him the things he would need. Just as David reached out for the door handle however voice called out from behind him.

"Where ya headed Sensei?" It was undeniably Hiro, and he sounded genuinely interested.

"Headed out to the market. I'm about midway done with the <<Earning a Living>> quest. I have to buy some materials with which to make my little project to present to the quest giver." David answered with a bright smile on his face.

"Sure sure. Well pick me up fifty units of barley, and fifty units of hops will you? They just need to be of Vanity quality as it's for the ale that I serve you. This should cover it" Hiro said as he punched some numbers into his transaction menu. A window popped up in front of David's eyes bearing the message.

"Transfer of 1000 Col from Hiro recieved. Personal message: Good luck buddy!"

David's jaw dropped as he noticed the substantial sum of money deposited into his account. "That will cover ten times the barley and hops you've ordered Hiro, need me to pick up something else?" He asked dumbfounded.

"No, just get your supplies and get to work. The sooner you finish that quest, the sooner I can get you out of here. Oh and I expect any change to be brought back to me."

No sooner than his conversation with Hiro ended did David dart out of the Tavern, and begin to make his way towards the Marketplace. What seemed to be hundreds of people flooded the streets, and from a glance David could not tell if they were players, or NPCs. Neither would have shocked him with how immersive the entire world of Sword Art Online was. It was slow going, but David knew exactly where his destination was at this point so he was able to cut through a few alleyways avoiding the most traffic. It was only about 20 minutes after he left Hiro's Tavern that he came across the very shop he was looking for: The bent nail Blacksmith.

The building was of the common type for the area. Stone blocks made up it's exterior with a crude wooden door hung at it's front. A sign with an anvil, and a bent nail laying on it swung above the door in the breeze. Three chimneys extended skyward from the flat roof. David grabbed for the door's handle, and made his way inside. 

A bell chimed overhead as David entered the shop. The steady pounding of steel could be heard ringing out from the back room. The shop was uncomfortably hot, and made David adust his collar a bt from the sweat that started to pool around his neck.

"Welcome to the bent nail. Name is Emmet. I'm the head honcho around here. How can I help you today?" A grisly beared man wearing little else but a thick leather apron, breaches, and gloves asked fro behind the shop's counter. The walls were lined with barrels and crates of various tools, and building materials. 

David walked straight up to the counter, and placed his list upon it. Pointing to it he began to ask for his supplies. "I need these items, and as cheaply as possible. Quality does not matter." he said remembering that Hiro was footing the bill for this little trip, and he still had to buy the barley and hops for him.

"Well the tool's won't be any trouble. I have bins full of files, and chisels for this sort of thing over there" Emmet responded pointing a thick, soot covered finger towards the wall directly behind David. "The brass ain't no trouble either. I keep a good stock of that sort of thing. Sand paper, and I assume polishing compound I can get you aswell. There is only one hitch. Glass, or natural Crystal. While I can get such things I ain't got any here. I'm not exactly inclined to leave either as there is still work to be done today. Tell you what, you pay me 200 col for everything on this list except the glass, and I'll let you know where to find my supplier. Heck I'll also throw in a few tools you seem to be missing."

David nodded emphatically, and let out the phrase "That sounds amazing!". He did not expect to get so much help from this particular NPC, but was more than grateful for it.

Emmet set to work compiling a nice, but cheap set of jeweler's tools. It contained several hammers, chisels, punches, files, and pliers. Everything he would need to begin making his Trinkets. He placed all of these items in a leather satchel, and set them on the counter. He then placed three rolls of sand paper (three different grades from coarse to fine.), and a glass jar filled with some sort of thick white gel in with the tools.

"The brass will take a minute. You want it cut in any particular fashion?" Emmet asked.

"Yeah, cut out six disks at about a two inch diameter for the widest, and about half an inch for the smallest. Just gradually step up from there, and I can do the rest." David responded knowing exactly what he wanted. Emmet simply nodded, and made his way into the back room. After a few minutes he returned with the items required of him.

After David had paid the man, and gotten the location of the glass maker he collected his items and went on his way. The glass maker was on the other side of the marketplace, and would not exactly be easy to get to at this time as it was nearly noon, and most players that called the Town of Beginnings home were out and about shopping for their midday meals. Still David waded through the almost endless sea of people, and made it to the Glass works in just under an hour. His stomach was rumbling however, and he resigned himself to getting a small bite to eat after his work here was finished.

The meeting with the glass blower went smoothly, and he even gave David some advice on how to make the required lenses himself next time. Six thick disks of class were tucked away along with the rest of the supplies. Now all there was left to do was to actually make the thing. David's smile grew wide at the thought of bringing a finished piece to Barnabas for inspection.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. David bought the barley, and hops for Hiro, and managed to get some delicious steamed pork buns from a rather amazing smelling food stall. He made his way back to the tavern without incident, and laid his bounty out on the bar for his student to inspect. The brewing supplies he put in the cellar where all of Hiro's cooking equipment was stored.

Looking at the stuff he had purchased David noticed that none of the tools were new, but they were all in excellent condition. The materials were top notch, and everything was organized so neatly that David could have found anything in the satchel blindfolded.

"Thats quite the haul." Hiro said beaming at the budding Artisan. "Guess you're serious about this huh?"

"You bet. I want to teach people, and through this profession I can give people the means to teach themselves. I've been looking through the enhancements that I'll be able to provide and quite a few of them would be helpful to most players. Not to mention the fact that I can make books, and enhance them. Knowledge and power all wrapped up into one. Who could ask for more." David replied before popping a piping hut bun into his mouth.

"So you get the things I asked for?" Hiro asked now sounding quite concerned.

"Sure did. It's all in the cellar." David responded knowing full well what was coming next.

"And my change?"

"How about one of these pork buns?"