[F3-PP] Attempting to relax

I would've been fine in the end. I'm getting stronger by the day. before you'll know it i'll be on the frontlines helping the rest of you clear floors, and discovering things. I say confidently with a grin on my face as i continue to swim in the lake. And yeah i have swam before in the real world. Not very frequently, but enough to know how to swim easily in lakes, and such. I say cheerfully as i think back onto some of the vacations i've been on towards places with water. Remembering making sand castles, swimming, and playing with my parents and little sister. I smile, but focuses on the present promising myself that i'll do anything to get back towards the real world. To do anything in my power to make it out of here, and stick towards the morals i've been raised on to the best of my ability. I look upwards towards the sky, and looks to you, and pauses for a moment. After a few seconds i ask. So...what do you think happens when people pass away? I ask curiously as i go to floating on my back. I mean i guess it's something to talk about since we never know when it's going to come at us. I have always liked to think reincarnation, or their is some place after this one where you reunite with your loved ones and friends.  I say with a small smile. I would really hate to find out that when you die. That is it. Blackness and the void would be a terrible fate after life. I say softly finding myself thinking on my ideas of death since i started thinking of my father. The one who has formed my morals for the most part. Myself being a true police officer's daughter. Sticking to anything moral. No theft, follow the rules, and don't murder the innocent.

I can hear in the distant the sounds of the waves being parted by the race of Kuro, and Velnia. Kuro keeping up with the tiny but swift dragon as he raises himself in the air to avoid the splash Velnia tried to hit him with. He just grins down at Velnia with a challenging look of 'what? can't handle this?' Kuro then starts to speed up a little bit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Itzal trusts Velnia enough, knowing that the dragon wasn't reckless enough to use her lightning to speed her up as it would electrocute the entire lake.  Her swimming style was similar to that of a mermaid, using her wings as if they were her tail.  She used this method to keep up with Kuro to the best of her ability.  She was no longer looking a him, but giving actual focus on her goal.  This was rare besides when they were in a boss raid.  Itzal heard Hestia mention something off topic and hesitated a moment or two, wondering whether he should comment on it or not.  Before he could decide, she answered his question, telling him that she did indeed swim in the real world.  He smiled, knowing that this meant she did take breaks from time to time.  As long as she took a break every once and a while he believed she'd be good.  "I'm glad you found the time to relax in the real world.  And I'm furthermore glad you didn't waste your life like I did," he finished with a chuckle.  Then she stopped and lay on the water, asking him what he thought about afterlife.  He paused for a moment to gather his thoughts.

"I believe there is a Heaven and Hell after we depart from this earth.  I also believe that there is a God.  The trinity:  God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit.  Three persons yet one God.  A God who loves each and every human on this earth, who is reaching out to us.  Whether we accept him or not is our choice.  It's my hope that if I somehow don't survive SAO, I'll see my sister and parents again in Heaven.  A life without pain and suffering.  No darkened memories.  In the light of the Lord, all tears are wiped away.  In his presence you can't help but smile and sing praise."  Itzal closed his eyes as he pictured it, a truly peaceful smile on his face.

Hearing this hope of yours it causes me pause. Finding such a thing surprising, but that quickly gets replaced with anger. Who would ever wish to throw their lives away? Their is much more worthy pursuits in this life then death! I quickly find myself standing back up and moving over to you in the water. Having this look of anger that is growing. Their are people who care for this person in front of me. People who genuinely wish for his survival from this place of death. Kaiser being one that i'm sure would fall into that category, and i know i consider myself one also. While i know that not being with your family is horrible, and that meeting with them in a place that could be free of pain i can't stand for this. Not now and definitely ever in any life of mine. Before i can complete the thought i find myself slapping you hard across your cheek. having not noticed that i got in front of you as i did so.

Don't you dare say you wish to die in this place! your family wants to see you returned from this horrible fate. To be trapped within this place, and to die in here. Should not be or i guess i say now should not have been anyones fate. They should have lived their lives to the fullest after escaping this game alive. To go back to their families, to their friends who care for them. Hell they may even meet players they made friends with in here back in the real world. Don't ever say you should die in here Itzal. Your family would be devastated at your loss, i would be greatly saddened to find your name on that monument, and i am a hundred percent sure Kaiser would feel the same. I say to you my anger having faded away to a worried look.

My breathing being slightly out of the normal pace that breathing is suppose to be. Having said all that a bit faster then normal except towards the end. Where i mentioned how people would miss you greatly. Please don't wish for death you're meant for things beyond just dying in some game. To become just a name on that monument. You're kind, and smart itzal. You could become great at whatever job you end up taking in the real world. Don't let your adventures end here. Don't let the book that will be your life end with the sentence. "Then Itzal fell on that day. .Just another martyr in the game of torture, and death Sword Art Online."

Itzal had a gut feeling.  Like something dark was hovering over him, just waiting to strike.  He opened his eyes and they shot wide open when he felt Hestia slap him across the face, causing him to lose balance and fall into the water.  When he resurfaced, he watched with puzzlement as she went on with anger about how he shouldn't be wanting to die here, that his family wanted him back.  He continued to listen to her but his face held nothing, nothing but utter confusion...  With a hint of pain and shock as the cherry on top.  "What the..  I didn't..  I never once said I wanted to die in any way!  What I was trying to say was that on the very off chance that I do die, I'll at least be with my family!  I do not by any means want to die at all Hestia!  I have a girlfriend, which I thought I would never have and that I was going to die of old age still glued to video games locked up in my room, without any friends!  I was given something, someone so precious to me that I would never, never ever dare to even dream of thinking of suicide!  Hestia..."  His panic and rush calmed down now, as well as the sting on his cheek.  "I don't wish for death.  I've wasted my entire life in the real world.  Ever since my friends helped get me on my feet.  I've never been more alive.  I have so much to look forward to.  I'm not by any means going to let myself die...  Ok?"

Velnia, having sensed her owner struck, had flown over by now and looked back and forth.  She saw the hand mark on his cheek and grinned, nudging Hestia with a wink and flying back to tackle Kuro and knock him into the water.  She wanted to teach the guy how to swim now.  Itzal placed a hand on Hestia's shoulder.  "Please don't get the wrong idea.  I don't wish to die.  You asked me what I believe will happen after people die.  I told you what I believe, and how I find the thought peaceful.  I want to grow the way the Lord wants me to, and suicide isn't the way to do that.  I'm so sorry for scaring you like that.  Please forgive me ok?"

It takes me awhile to register what was said, and what i missed to cause this and i blush a bit realizing my mistake. uhhh...woops i accidentally missed the part where you said the word 'if" in the part where you were saying that IF you don't survive. I missed the if so it sounded like you were hoping you didn't survive. I say with a blush of my own as i look towards the ground realizing the very big mistake i made by missing one simple word in a sentence. That caused a complete shift in meaning to what you were saying. I just look towards the ground becoming all quiet, and not speaking up do to what i view as a very big mistake over one simple word and having missed it.

Kuro seeing the little hyperactive dragon for some reason turning around and heading back towards their owners follows the dragon wondering what is happening. he lands upon the ground and looks up at me, then towards you. The lion just lays down seemingly amused by what is transpiring after seeing the looks upon our faces.

He saw her blush as she became a bit embarrassed, saying how she missed him say the word if, which really did change the entire meaning of what he said.  Happy to hear she was no longer angry with him he let out a little chuckle and let go of Hestia, focusing on floating rather than sinking.  Or falling into the water a second time from a strike he didn't see coming.  "It's ok, it happens to the best of us.  Your talking to the king of being a failure at social cues.  Cheer up ok?  We're supposed to be relaxing."  He drifted there for a minute until Hestia looked at him.  When she did she'd see him giving her an encouraging smile.  Hopefully she would cheer up and smile again.  Itzal had only felt phantom pain, it wasn't real.  The only harm she could really do to him was if she killed him.  Which at her level would be, erm, impossible.  However he had a feeling she'd be climbing her way up to him soon enough. 

Velnia shot at Kuro from nowhere, knocking him off of the ground and into the water.  She felt that the cold was better felt all at once rather than over time.  She would make sure Kuro's head was above water though.  She'd hold the lion afloat and she'd indicate that she wanted to teach him how to swim, just in case he had no choice.  This was actually because she wanted fun with him underwater as well, but it was a legitimate excuse.

"Hey...  You've had ice cream before right?"

Hearing your words calm me as i smile and i hug you gently. Thank you for the reassurement Itzal. I thought all i messed up a lot with what i said. I say with a nervous chuckle as i then get back into the water and swims within the water along side you with a grin on my face.seeing your encouraging smile which calms me down a lot in terms of my embarrassment. I chuckle hearing Kuro's indignant roar at being pushed into the water by the tiny little dragon. The lion cub unable to swim and he accepts the help of Velnia in learning how to do so. The Lion keeping his wings above the water to try and dry them to prep them for flight. I slowly start to just float on my back as i look up towards the sky.

As i look towards the sky i can only wonder what the future has in store for me, and what can i do to grab at my own destiny, and fate in all of this. I close my eyes and just rests my head on the water to try and focus on just being at rest for once in ten years on purpose. Hearing your question i smile and says. I mean who hasn't had ice cream? It is like something every one has had before Itzal. I don't count people who are lactose intolerant. I tell you before you could possibly bring up that point. .

Itzal blushed a little, somewhat shocked that she hugged him, but he returned the favor.  It was awkward hugging her from below, both from being shorter than her, as well as the fact that he was in the water and she was not.  Afterwards she climbed back into the water and swum alongside him with a grin on her face.  Itzal finally turned his attention to Velnia and Kuro and noticed that she was helping him swim.  He could tell by her grin however that it was for her own purposes.  Maybe she found food somewhere she didn't want to go, or couldn't go.  Who knows with that girl.  He heard Hestia's comment and held up his hand.  "Never had ice cream before I had some with Kasier.  Legit never."  It was true.  While there was ice cream in Japan, there were mainly other foods and varieties.  The more he looked over American foods, the more he wondered if they were trying to die of a heart attack.  "But, at the same time, the ice cream in Aincrad, especially one shop in particular, is very well done.  Best you'll ever taste, I promise you that much," he said with a smile.

best i will ever taste? You my good sure have issued a challenge onto yourself to prove that statement of yours. I would like to think i have had some of the best i could of found, so i would like to see this self proclaimed best ice cream i will ever have. I say with a grin that guarantees i will hold you to your word on that fact.I relax as i calmly float within the water. Enjoying the feel of the cool liquid against his skin. Preferring warm water like hot springs over cold waters like lakes. They both have their merits though, and both equally being very peaceful things to do. Activities to do to calm down after a stressful day. I continue to look up at the sky and curiously asks. So Itzal if you didn't run into me the day we met. Do you think anything would be different then it is now? I ask you curiously. Or do you think that this butterfly effect would not have had that big of an impact on our lives if i didn't run into you in those fields. I say unable to help thinking of these questions when i let my mind wander about, and question events, and how they affect things.

Kuro is continuing trying to learn how to swim. At the moment he is able to do so somewhat, but it is the equivalent of doggy paddling.

Itzal nodded when she repeated the statement, then mentioned how he had issued a challenge and how he had to prove the statement he had given her.  He cocked an eyebrow and looked at her with a grin.  "If you thought that was a challenge, I'd hate to see how you react when I actually do."  Itzal rarely made any challenges at all.  If he did though, he made it big.  He chuckled along with her before he was beginning to get cold.  When swimming in cold water you had to keep moving or you would get colder.  He could tell she was beginning to get a little chilled at any rate.  Itzal's survival skill kept him from getting too cold though.  Then he heard her question and thought about it for a moment.  "Personally I don't ask myself those questions as there is no way for me to possibly figure that out.  If I were to make an educated guess however, as I know you'll press for an answer, I'd have to say it would be very different.  It wouldn't be visible at first, but the longer you look down the thread of time, the more you'd see the difference.  No matter what happens in the future, everything that happens, always has an impact.  Nothing is an accident."  Velnia kept coaching Kuro and wasn't upset with his doggy paddling.  She honestly couldn't see another way to do it.

Now you have me curious Itzal. I say with a grin as i correct myself to stop floating on my back as i start swimming towards the land. with a smile. Come on! Ice cream isn't going to buy itself. I call out to you having a grin on my face, and once i'm on land i quickly take out my previous shirt i was wearing to use as a towel, and then equips my armor for clothing. Only had those two shorts, and shorts to wear for normal clothing. As soon as you get out of the water you see me grinning. You have to challenge me at some point i want to see what that is like. I say with a grin on my face. You have piqued my interest with that statement of i would hate to see what it is like.

Kuro is quick and eager to fly out of the water and towards me having not liked the rather slow pace of swimming via doggy paddling. he shakes his fur like a dog though to get it all not wet. Not caring if others get hit by the flying water when he does so.

Itzal listened to Hestia mention how he had her curious.  He shook his head with a chuckle but then watched her begin swimming for land, calling out about the ice cream.  He nodded, keeping up with her easily.  He never went swimming outside of SAO, but he learned swiftly.  When they got out of the water, Itzal walked over to his coat, put it on, and then opened up his menu, switching his Twilight Cloak for his battle armor Niger Natio.  There was a brief flash and he was wearing the dry, black cloth armor.  Pulling off his hood and mouthpiece he turned to Hestia and grinned with a slight blush.  "First things first, let's get you a second change of clothes, shall we?"  He watched as Kuro flew out of the water almost instantly, seeming very happy that he no longer had to learn how to swim.  Itzal grinned when Kuro shook his fur, and Velnia shot out of the water, released a blast of electricity in mid air to dry herself off, then flew over to them, landing on Itzal's shoulder with a grin.  He chuckled.  "And let's get you fully dried before visiting the fourth floor.  That's where her shop is at."

I chuckle a bit nervously and nods my head in agreement. yeaaahh being covered in water and going into a snowy environment sounds like the recipe for getting a cold at a minimum to hypothermia at the worst. I say nodding in agreement while still wearing my armor for temporary clothing as i look towards you. I gesture to you to move forward with a small smile on my face. Well? lead the way oh great knight in cloth armor. I say to you in a playful tone as i wait for you to lead the way to this clothing store. Finding that at the moment i can not really dry myself since you are near me, and i don't know where the towels are really so my plan is to just really let the sun, and wind get rid of all the water on my body. Kuro just looks at the little dragon and flies up near her and gives her a slightly irritated look. Having not enjoyed the swimming that much, but he then lightens up a bit and pats her head with his tail to try and convey he appreciates her attempts at teaching.

I look around the area and smiles a bit. Having found i enjoyed this moment even if i did nothing much to improve myself. I look over the lake that starts to glisten slightly with the rising sun starting to shine onto the water. Causing it to sparkle a little bit do to the light reflecting off of it. I look towards the rest of the area. Seeing your show over looking this lake, and seeing the mountains in the distant. I smile a bit finding this scenery to be beautiful, and making me wish i could take a picture of this to show later once i am out of this game to my family.

Itzal watched as she opened her menu and switched her clothing to her armor as temporary clothing.  Itzal shrugged on her comment.  "While I can guarantee players getting that cold, I'm not sure players can actually die of hypothermia, though I doubt anyone wants to test that theory," he said with a slight chuckle.  When she called him a great knight Itzal gave a light laugh and shook his head.  He didn't see himself as a knight at all.  He was a scout first and foremost.  Beyond that he was just another hopeful guy.  "I doubt knight would be a good word to describe me."  He also didn't want fame or to be known in general, unlike real knights who did quests to be known.  Velnia grinned at Kuro but was a little surprised when he petted her.  She responded by nuzzling against him, giving a dragon like purr as she liked his company.  He was fun to play with and she got to teach him stuffs.  Itzal was walking but then noticed that Hestia stopped.  When he turned to see what she was seeing his first thought was 'huh.  I guess the system lagged a bit.  Or maybe it's time was off and adjusted itself'.  Afterwards though he smiled and looked at her, seeing the enjoyment in her eyes.  "When we take a moment to just pause and look at the world around us, whether in here or the real world, we can learn to appreciate what we've been given, despite what was taken.  Take heart Hestia.  We will get out of here, so don't worry about that." 

He then led her to the town where he helped her find a second set of clothes she could use.  He learned about shopping with Kasier, and while he still didn't understand it, he could tolerate and remain calm if she chose to look through a large variety of options.  When that was done he brought her to the teleporter and they warped to the snowy floor.  He flinched when the temperature dropped instantly and rolled his shoulders.  "This floor seems to be a magnet that keeps dragging me back.  Still, because of that I got to learn about a player and her ice cream shop.  Come on it's this way."

I roll my eyes and chuckles when you make the comment about the knight. I was referring to the knight and shining armor saying Itzal. I say with a grin on my face and chuckling. I mean you practically are you save me from time to time. be it from monsters or i guess this morning from myself. I say with a grateful look on my face. Finding that it is reassuring to know that their are people who would look out for my health where i am sure their are others who would tell me to push myself since it is just a game and their is no real harm in doing so. Kuro grins and lets the little dragon nuzzle him not finding any issue in Velnia doing so since the little creature has been kind to Kuro so far.

Yeah you are right. We will get out of here all of us no matter what. i say softly with a smile as i get one last look at the area around me before falling you towards the town where you then lead me to a shop that i can buy clothes. I quickly and easily choose the ones i want. Just another black shirt, and also a darker blue shirt. Picking up long black pants, and also black shorts. I also buy a jacket with fur lined on the inside since we are heading towards the fourth floor. I instantly equip the new dark blue shirt, and black long pants as i turn towards you with a grin. Time to go to the fourth floor for ice cream! I say a bit excitedly having been reminded of how much i missed that sweet treat as soon as you brought it up.

Well if this floor is a magnet for you Itzal maybe i should make my shop up here. I say with a playful grin. Give you more reasons to come to this floor, or maybe their is something that is calling you here. Like their will be some important event that will occur here, or has occurred here. I suggest with a kind smile speaking a little bit playfully also. As we get onto the fourth floor i equip my newly gained jacket with fur on the inside and raises up the hood with a smile on my face. I then quickly follow you when you tell me to do so.

He saw her roll her eyes and chuckled when she clarified that she was referring to a knight in shining armor.  "I know what you meant Hestia.  I don't like taking credit for things.  If I see something wrong I'll help.  Simple as that."  Then she continued, and he smiled embarrassedly at what she said.  He didn't see himself like a knight in shining armor.  Especially since he tried to avoid gaining credit, or being well known.  He just wanted to help people out that was all.  Still, he saw the grateful look on her face and smiled warmly afterwards.  He was making a difference with her.  That was worth any teasing she pulled on him.  So long as he saved one more innocent life it was enough.  Velnia was glad that Kuro had no problem with her and proceeded to fly by him rather closely.  He smiled more widely when Hestia agreed with him on getting out of here.  Thankfully she didn't take much time finding something to wear and also got a jacket for the frosty floor.

After getting it she excitedly suggested going to the fourth floor, drawing a chuckle from Itzal.  When they arrived here he heard her begin to tease him again, talking about putting her shop here so that she'd run into her more.  The last part wasn't literally spoken, but it was there discretely.  She also wanted to give him reasons to come here.  She then suggested that maybe something was calling him here and he shook his head.  "I say this because most of the people I spend time with come here often, so I get dragged here one way or another.  Or another quest appears here and I end up taking it."  He walked into a shop, opening the door for her, and nodded to the player at the counter.  A white haired girl in her mid twenties with emerald eyes.  She saw him and immediately dropped what she was doing, pulling out what looked like a pot and held it out just in time to block the flying Velnia who slammed right into it, sliding off of it and lying on the counter, pretending to be limp.  "Yo Itzal?  What did I tell you about giving that dragon a leash?"  Itzal chuckled embarrassingly.  "Told you I can't bear to do it.  Hestia this is Galadriel.  Galadriel this is Hestia.  She doubts that your ice cream is the best," he said with a humorous grin.  The girl lowered the pot down and raised an eyebrow, a small smile on her face.  "That so?  Come on honey.  Despite how cold this stuff is, it will melt you down.  Nothing calms the nerves like ice cream after all.  What can I get you two?"

I follow you to the shop with a smile on my face and hands within the pockets of the jacket.. I hear your words and smiles a bit at them. Knowing you just wish the best for people which is a nice trait.Something that i can wholeheartedly agree with since i was raised on the idea of helping anyone i can especially those who can't help themselves. I look around the snow covered town as i smile loving the beauty of this floor. Even if said floor is covered in snow all the time which is not the greatest since it means it is really cold all the time. At the mentions of quests i smile a bit putting it into the back of my mind to look up what kind of quests could be found here, so i can complete them even if i have to do so solo. Kuro watches Velnia fly around him and tries not to let Velnia distract him to much from the road so he would not fall into any deep snow or such.

As we enter the shop i smile as i look around and quickly hears the sound of something hitting metal. I quickly turns towards the source of it and sees a woman holding a pan and Velnia hitting the counter. I chuckle at the sight and walks over to the dragon and picks her up into my arms and walks her back over to you as i pet Velnia's head gently. I then hear the exchange of words and waves my hand when you introduce me. I am a simple person miss Galadriel just some chocolate ice cream for me. I say in a polite tone of voice to her. Kuro just lays at my side and looks up at the woman as his tail moves back and forth slowly as he keeps his wings close to his body.

Velnia melted into Hestia's arms when she was picked up and petted.  The dragon was by no means hurt.  However with the speed she was moving at, her force was incredibly powerful.  With that kind of speed and force you got dizzy if you came to a complete stop from running into a pot like that.  Itzal watched as Hestia gave her order, preferring normal chocolate.  Galadriel nodded with a smile and a wink.  "Nothin' wrong with normal miss.  I'd say you need normal with this kid around.  Something always happens with him."  Itzal chuckled with a shrug, although with Velnia and his bad luck it was true.  Galadriel scooped up some ice cream, put it in a cone, and handed it to Hestia.  "And what about you purple boy?  The usual?"  Itzal didn't seem affected by the nickname, as he was rarely bothered with how others viewed him.  "Yeah let's go with the usual German Chocolate," He said in agreement, placing the col on the counter.  She took the col, not bothering to count it since she trusted Itzal...  In fact she wondered if he tipped her this time.  She pulled out another cone and put the ice cream on it and handed it to Itzal.  "You'd better not be cheatin' Kasier now," she said, looking at Hestia.  Itzal shook his head.  "She doesn't have a place to stay right now, so she's staying at the shop.  I talked with Kasier about it."  The woman grinned.  "Stayin' with you two eh?  You guys gonna adopt her or somethin'?"  Itzal rolled his eyes as she snickered.  "Kuro, you want anything?"

So weird things or bad things is usual around Itzal? I say curiously to Galadriel wanting to know more about the person who has been helping me every step of the way since i got out of those horrid inns and into a better place of living and surviving. Once Galadriel had scooped up the ice cream and was handing it to me i quickly put Velnia on the floor near Kuro trusting my familiar to keep Velnia in place if she tries to eat my ice cream. Being reminded of the fact the little dragon does like to eat. I take the ice cream and eagerly start to eat, but making sure to do so at a slow pace to try and avoid getting a brain freeze.

As i hear Galadriel joking about adopting me i turn my head to you with a impish grin. Yeah Itzal you going to adopt me? I ask playfully with a grin. Would you want me to be calling you Dad. I say and can't keep a straight face or act when saying that as i start to laugh. Sorry i'm just playing even i can't keep a straight face when saying that. I say while laughing managing to keep my ice cream on its cone while doing so. Kuro hears your offer to him and just flaps his wings once to show that he does.

Edited by Hestia

Galadriel turned to Hestia and gave a sharp nod.  "Yup.  Boy was helping me gathering materials one time and this monster sized warg came out of nowhere.  Miniboss or something.  Another time we were having ourselves a duel when this guy in gold armor shows up.  Seemed like he knew Itzal-"  She stopped when she saw the look Itzal was giving her.  Somewhere between pleading and warning.  Like a gentle warning kind of thing...  Really no good way to describe it, but she shrugged and turned back to Hestia.  "And then you got that hyperactive monstrosity.  Thing completely wrecked my shop the last time."  Velnia poked her head up and gave a shy grin.  Galadriel glared at her for a moment, causing the familiar to give a dragon like chuckle before trying to take a lick of Hestia's ice cream, being stopped by Kuro.  She growled in annoyance and hunger but submitted.  She knew Galadriel wouldn't give her ice cream even if Itzal asked her to.  And then Hestia joined in on the joking, bursting out in laughter as she just couldn't handle it anymore, Galadriel joining her in the chorus.  Itzal just stood there and sighed, a slight blush coming to his face, causing Galadriel to laugh louder and longer.  Hestia apologized saying that she was only playing with him and he nodded showing that he knew.  He paid for Kuro's ice cream and the familiar was given a bowl.  Velnia's stomach growled and she licked her lips but she was powerless to share with anyone's food.  Itzal led Hestia to a table and sat down.  "You just can't stop can you?"  He asked with a cocked eyebrow.