Show Me the Ropes

LVL: 1                    EVA:

SP: 5                      MIT: 26

EP: 2                      DMG: 1

HP: 20                   ACC:

Tower never understood videogames. 

A ridiculous premise, coupled with escapism, generally led to laziness. 

He looked around the sunlit plain of shin-length grass that waved in the breeze, unobstructed by trees, save a copse of pecan or oak dotted around the plain. He had to admit, though it was escapism, that it was incredible nonetheless. 

Just the place to spend your last days, he thought, watching some of the boars grazing around one group of live oaks. He smiled as he looked down to an open palm and closed it into a fist smoothly. No wobbling, staggering, or shaking. He felt strong again, in control again. Something he hadn't felt in a long time. Now, to teach those pigs a lesson. 

Tower opened his menu, providing him with a wide array of buttons, sliders, and inventory options, most of which he simply did not know the function of. Of the few that he knew, he was aware of how to swap his clothing. His finger drifted over the 'equip' option under his heavy armor, and a soft blip sounded as the inventory disappeared, leaving Tower in full plate armor, sans helmet. 

The boars were really difficult to kill, and he needed to be prepared. He never quite understood how the kids in the game did it all, he wasn't even halfway to his next level. Well, waiting isn't going to help

He kept walking toward them. 

Edited by redford
including statz

Ryo patroled the first floor, looking to help anyone who had issue. Those who were scared he comforted. Lost children, he returned. And like every day, he came by the monument of memories, looking over all the people who had died. Names of those he failed to save, name of those he couldn't. He placed his hand against the cool onyx slab. "I'm sorry." He muttered. "But you shant be forgotten." He would say to himself before leaving, and resuming his support around the city.

Stepping out he say something a little extra off then the usual. He watched as an older man saunted out of the city gates, clad in plates of metal. Ryo rubbed his eyes. Was he, not wearing a weapon? He thought to himself. "Curious." He mentioned, as he followed the man. The man approached a group of boars, still no weapon drawn but his fists at the ready. Ryo interjected. "So, you planning on punching them to death? Or you have some other trick up your sleeve?" He asked, semi mocking the person. He had no idea of the players level. For all he knew he was a master of the Martial arts skill, and wore full plate for the protection. A rare build, but one none the less.

@redford

John turned, making sure he hadn't walked into the radius of the first boar, and glared. Normally, a man of his stature and size could make just about anyone take a step back with such a look, but this palace of insignificance had removed any consequence from most actions, and thus, most apprehension. If the whole world was a game, there were hardly any stakes, were there? He responded quickly. 

"How else am I to do it then, hm?" he questioned. "I may not have a fancy sword, boy, but I need materials." 

Hm, children, he thought, about to turn back to engage the 'monster' as his lexicon had called it, but continued facing the boy. He was short, but then again most were when compared to his size, and quite obviously had a higher skill, or level, or whatever they called it these days. He hmphed again, thinking about all the times he chided other boys for playing games, and now he was a 'gamer' himself. 

Then again, I never had time to do anything but what I had to do. Maybe this is a legacy of prosperity. He added a quick or whatever, to the end of his internal monologue, and turned back to face the boar. 

Ryo moved a hand across his face, wiping a pink bang away from his eyes. The man towered over him, nothing he wasn't already used to thanks to his short stature. "Well some people start with weapons and gain a skill that helps them kill things easier. Wait, don't tell me." Ryo said, cocking his body to one side letting a chuckle escape. "You're one of the guys who out armor into his first skill aren't you?" He managed to chuckle out. Still laughing he managed to speak still. "Ah no, don't mind me. You go on ahead. I wanna watch this eleven minute slug fest." Ryo said, sitting down in the grass. He was actually curious on how the elderly man fought. Would he be actually good at fighting with his fists? Did he already have the Martial arts skill. Only thing to do now was wait and see.

BD: 6 (success)

MD: 5 (failure)

John admitted to himself that he did not know that much about this game and its rules, but he had learned a few things about fighting the little boars around what everyone called the starting area. He crossed the invisible line that drew the boar's attention, but not the rest of the animals', and it looked up, approaching slowly. The distance between them closed gradually until a little notification exclamation mark popped up in his HUD, indicating he was in combat. Tower took a step forward, planting his foot in the ground and steadying himself. It brought a smile to his face, even though he was fighting. In this moment, in this life, there was no tremor. There was no shame, and he had control. 

The charging boar came into range and snarled, leaping at John's outstretched arm, clamping its jaws around his forearm. The armor held, and John brought his fist up and struck the thing in the side. It yelped, being knocked to its side, and the health bar above the animal beeped pleasantly as it ticked down a little. 

Excellent, John thought. The animals had not been able to break his armor yet, but he still had a way to go before he could loot the thing. 

Edited by redford