[F11-PP] The Tide is High (Ryo)

Lisa walked through the shore line as water washed over her toes. She could sense the water gently lapping her skin as the tide lulled gently in and out on the pristine beach. It was a strange sensation. Real almost. She wondered if it was because the data input was so good or if it was because she could remember how walking along the beach actually felt. Maybe it was a little of both. Either way, it was nice to feel the ocean lapping at her fair skin once more and she was enjoying it.

Her long hair blew about in the breeze and Seph looked out over the water as the sun began to dip low in the sky. The sun was edging down the horizon just beginning to dip itself in the deep blue water painting the sky in fantastic oranges and reds. She stopped for a moment and marveled at the sky. It was simply breathtaking. Sitting down in the wet sand, Persephone brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her knees just staring up at the sky above her head. A soft smile broke over her pink lips as she deeply breathed in the salty sea air.

And just for a moment, she felt like she was home again.

Ryo held the few flowers in his hand. A small memorial to the man he once looked up to, the man who made him who he was now. Who, he needed to be. The soft crunch of the sand displaced by the lapping sounds of the ocean. Normally the beach was empty. Just a shell of what it used to be. A surf shop was once home here, as well as the man whom he once cherished. But this evening was different. That being there was a woman on the beach. This was peculiar as not many people knew that this was Lowenthal's old place of business, so he doubted that was why she was there. Ryo stepped up to the woman, keeping a fair distance away. He cleared his throat, as to not to alarm the girl. "Hey. You here to watch the sunset as well?" Ryo asked. As the woman turned her head, Ryo saw something in her that reminded him of a better time. He couldn't quite place it, but he felt like a different person. Only for a moment, however, as it quickly faded away. "I'm Ryo." He said, holding out a hand for the woman in front of him.

A voice broke the white noises of the surf and ocean birds that flew in the sky above, and she glanced up over at the stranger, a handsome fellow with flowers in his hand. He asked her if she was there to watch the sunset and she smiled at him and nodded. “A friend used to live here, somewhere around there,” she pointed in the direction toward the trees where the surf shop was, now empty and abandoned. “This place reminds me of him, so I came here to be close to him.” She didn’t exactly know why she was divulging this information to someone she’d just met, but there was something familiar in him that made her feel comfortable. Like she’d known him from before, but Persephone had never seen him before in her life.

"I'm Ryo."  He said as he stretched his free hand out to her.

“Persephone,” she replied as she placed her hand in his and shook it.

“Would you like to join me? Pull up some sand and have a seat,” she offered as she slowly withdrew her hands from his, a gentle smile still painted across her pink lips.

Ryo's eyes widened slightly at the mention of 'that man'. No one had brought him up in conversation before, no one. He shook the woman's hand, still in somewhat disbelief and sat down beside her. "So you knew Lowenthal then, Persephone?" Ryo asked, the sand moving out of his way as he sat down. The tide came in and out, in a soothing rhythm. It felt, peaceful. His mind was clear, there was no one in his mind telling him what to do. No Lowenthal telling him how to act, no Hikoru telling him was wrong. Just himself, and Persephone on this beach. "I miss him too. It's why I bought these. As a sort of remembrance." Ryo said, showing Persephone the flowers. He didn't mind telling her this personal information. He felt like he had met her before, but he couldn't remember her face. And he would remember a face like that. Ryo set the flowers down on the beach between the two and stared out into the ocean. It's surface refracting the sun's setting rays making the surface appear on fire. 

“You know him,” her voice squeaked as her eyes widened and then softened as she beamed brightly. She knew Lowenthal and that meant that she could find him. Except…

It was then it had dawned on her that the young man was telling her that he was bringing Lowe flowers as a remembrance. “So… he…” she looked down at the sand in front of her. She fell silent as she felt it, the tears welling up in her chocolate brown eyes that bubbled up from the corners of her eyes and slide down her cheeks in big fat drops.

“He really is gone,” she finally managed as she began to sob uncontrollably wondering why now, after all this time she was crying so hard. She’d always had her suspicions, but she never absolutely knew it as the truth.  Lisa looked down at the lovely little flowers that sat between them and she reached her fingers out and gently stroked the petals.

“I knew him… not well… or long… but he was very special to me.” She began to dry off her cheeks with the back of her hands. “Do you… could you… tell me how he died?” Seph always had meant to find Lowenthal again. She just couldn’t face him after she’d run away from everything, and then it became easier to just stay away, but she had intended to come back and see him. He had been her first and truest friend in this strange world they now lived. She’d even begun to have feelings for him. Her heart felt heavy with the knowledge of his loss.

Ryos attention turned as Persephone began to cry. Damn, she didn't know. He looked down at his feet, he thought it was common knowledge by now. As she cried, he would reach out to touch her but pulled his hand back. He didn't know what to say. What could he say? That the pain gets easier? That it's not that bad after a while? It was lies, all of it. The hollowing pain in his heart still lingered on on a disease. So much to say, so much to do. An infinite amount of love, hate, companionship, and friendship gone within moments. Snuffed out like a candles flame in a storm. Her crying slowed, enough for her to speak. She asked how he died, and now he had to speak. He racked his mind. Should he tell the truth, how he was murdered by someone he trusted. Or like, and come up with something on the spot. He looked back out into the ocean, hopefully finding an answer. He sighed loudly before speaking.

"He was," he began, still unsure. "Murdered. By someone foul, someone cruel. He trusted them, and they betrayed him." He said honestly. "I don't know the exact details of it all, but that's all I know." He said, wiping his eyes.

“MURDERED?” Persephone gasped.

Murdered by a friend, someone Lowenthal trusted.  Lisa placed her hand on her heart as she felt it sinking inside her. She hated it. She hated herself. If she’d been there… if only she had been there! Maybe she could have stopped it. Maybe Lowenthal would be alive and well today. She shook her head knowing that even back then Lowe was a much higher level than she. Even if she had travelled with him all the while she still probably would not have been a strong enough healer or fighter to have kept him alive. Persephone knew she’d have been slain beside her friend, or worse, killed first so that Lowe would have to watch a friend die before he was taken as well.

Persephone ran a hand through her long curly hair and then looked over at her companion  who was also overcome with grief. She reached for him and gently placed her hand softly upon the crook of his elbow. “Thank you for sharing that with me,” She said before she drew in and placed her arm around his shoulders pulling him into a hug. Normally she wasn’t the sort to cling to a stranger in such a fashion but he was crying and she was upset as well and she just wanted them both to feel connected to something. After a moment she drew back and spoke to him once more.

“How did you know Lowe?” she asked him wondering how the two had met. Anything to share stories of the sweet man she knew.

Ryo felt the womans touch tug as his elbow. Her cheeks were pink, and shining from tears. She, thanked him of all things. Why? All he did was bring sorrow for her. Her next move caught him by surprise even more so, as he was thrust into a hug. For what seemed forever she held him. Unsure of what to do, Ryo raised his own arms and embraced her back. He patted her back, hoping to ease whatever she was feeling. She sighed and pulled away, apparently content with the hug.

Ryo looked out into the ocean. "We were running, fleeing from someone bandits who had us conered in the labyrinths between floors." Ryo said. "We feel into a trap set by the game, and spent 4 days together in darkness as we worked together to earn our freedom." Ryo left out the part where he was working for the bandits in the first place. "And one thing led to another, and I owe him everything. Who I was, was no more. And I dont know who I am. But I know that I'll be someone he'd look up to." Ruo said, now smiling. "How about you? You two, close?" He asked, looking at Persephone.