[PP-01] <<The First Few Lessons are Free>> (Illia)

When the brutality of the death trap was unleashed at the heart of the square and the young mass stormed its way out to the top, a lesser majority refused to leave the shelter of the starting city walls. The Town of Beginnings was by then an agitated turmoil dragged by the force to the scenification of madness. The world had to be reborn once again at all cost, before the political or relligious riots, individualism, desperation or simply ignorance would push the extremes to an increasing feast of wrath and chaos. The adults and eldest members of the playerbase attempted to trail-blaze the reorganization with such seriousness and pragmatism that would put the despicable of Kayaba to shame. In a short time span that to many seemed longer, the town had become a decent refugee camp for the whole of Aincrad.

In the midst of this context Frost strolled by the main street with a leap of confidence. Just like some of the youth that did not head to the frontlines, he decided to stay in and assist with the masses reorganization. It was his job to patroll the area, assisting the smaller factions in need, networking this responsible with that one, posting parchment-written panflets, and in general serving to everything that would serve any young faction of a political party. Surprisingly, never up to this day he bothered to gain even a single XP. But as soon as he grabbed the door knob, this fact was fated to change.

"Good day." The bell jingled as he stepped in. "Is this an Alchemist shop?"

The white, long-bearded man nodded vaguely from the counter, at the other side of the room.

"Wonderful. The Movement is in need of Tier 1 potions for the Daily Health Care."

"I see. Come her', boy."

Frost crossed the chamber, his image split in dozens as he passed by the glass-stocked shelves. As they  all converged as one when he arrived at the counter, the man swang his hand on the air and a translucid white-screen was displayed before Frost' eyes. He read it all with a frown: the letters, the O, the X.

"Are you an NPC?"

The NPC nodded again. Frost arched his brows.

"And you say it, like, this plainly? Without drama or anything?"

"My coder is a hardcore fan of metafiction." The NPC shrugged.

Admired still, Frost thought this was a good reason as any and decided not to contradict the man. He even respected him more, thinking about the overwhelming amount of newbies that must have come to his encounter. He lowered his brows and puffed, conformed.

"Okay. Let's do this."

A short while later, he went outside and closed the heavy door behind him. He had a old-looking parchment at his grasp, which then unrolled up against the sun. The handwritting looked like the understandable version of those medieval, ink-scratched cooking recipes.

"Damn. Now where do I find five red clovers...?"

@Illia

Edited by Frost

Aincrad was clad with strife, panic and fear lodging in the hearts of the brave and strong since the very beginning, but now a new day would come. Illia had traveled a few times through these streets, the merchants and performers each working there trade or swindling their fellow neighbor. It was an odd mechanic though stealing seemed to sentence a minor warning, similar to that of the killers in the realm though she hadn't seen any thieves. Perhaps they had all learned there lessons, her only regret being her inexperience to carry out those sentences herself. At this instant she would instead search for more herbs and edibles that could be served up. Illia's own shop still nonexistent thanks to the great abundance of taverns and bars that have opened up about the town of beginning.

A gentle hum in heart would peruse the town as she strolled about the floor, that red flowing lock parting from the breeze to reveal those emeralds that loomed out from behind her bangs. It was another search, a search for none other then inexperienced players hoping to seek their own fame and fortune on the front lines. The Alchemist Zakariah was always a good start, plenty of low level players would start here do to the safety of the quest. A gay skip to her step as she finally arrived. Before the door was a young man, with glimmering white hair. She continued to examine till her heart skipped a beat. A faint blush of recognition, perhaps it was the same guy who she had once enjoyed company with in high school.

"Is that?"

The red-head winced now peeping like some crazy stalker, her form gently hiding behind the fence crouched over like a dog.

"There is no way it's him."

Lost in thought she then lost track as the door shut causing her to remember, what a bother having to wait and spy to make sure. After all it would have been awkward if he wasn't Arthur and his face was an obvious give away. Instead, she would sit and think a pass time that lasted many hours of this opening of the death game. Illia's rear hung out the other side of the fence now mostly concealed if it weren't for that rump of hers. Her train of thought once again leaving her down a strange road of memories.

Once she had met Arthur in the auditorium in her old highschool where they shared there first kiss. A dreamy eyed expression now taken hold.

@Frost

And then, a chill.

He took his eyes out of the parchment. It was not sure, but for some reason, he had caressed this sensation of being observed by a second eye. He glanced here and about. He did not need a <<Searching>> roll to find her.

She was crouched behind some kind of... fence? He could not tell what it was. All he saw was her snow white cloak and the rapier at the side. Her appearence was a mix of whites, blacks and pinks, with the exception of a very intense red hair. She must have got it from a dye or so. How endearing.

But she was spying on him. Blood rushed furily throughout his veins. He rolled up the quest again and turned around. His tone tried to sound as less paranoid as possible.

"Hey, do you need something?"

His eyes drifted up above her head. Mm, so her nickname was <<Illia>>...

@Illia

The hunched girl now rolled partially against the fence, her back partially propping it up now as she had knocked it partially loose. The second latching of the door went unnoticed as she suddenly jumped from the startling catch. It appeared that her concealment was all for not, she gulped and pushed up no holding up flailing hands. The embarrassment of being seen before her own reveal was quite startling, her cheeks beginning to mix another shade of pink into her color scheme. Down trodden her gaze now focused upon the shoes for a while, hoping it wasn't the same man she had once known. Slowly wandering up her form she began to notice subtle differences till she finally let out a sigh of relief.

"Sorry there, I just saw you walk in and thought that maybe you were someone I knew."

As she stood there her hand nervously slid up and gripped her arm attempting to gently pinch against her shirt. Glancing above his head she would notice his name, only seconds before asking.

"Sorry. I'm Illia and I was sorta spying on you ..."

The call-out hit her so all-of-a sudden no wonder she was taken aback. Frost blank once as the young woman lost and regained the balance over the fence and then abruptly tried to excuse herself between hurried words. She also walked in from her not-so-secret hideout, to his relief. 

"Yes, that was creepy" he stated, turning now the whole body towards her. "And you are lucky we are in a safe zone. If we were at the boar fields the local player-guard would've swung the swords on you."  

Said this, he leaned the scroll onto his shoulder. She had gone out of her way to introduce herself even when she needn't to, so he could not just dismiss her. Relaxing the posture, he inclined his head and pointed to his own cursor. 

"Anyway, no harsh feelings. Just call me Frost."

@Illia

Edited by Frost

She hung her head, embarrassment plastered over her red cheeks as she now began to bow apologetically with a response.

"I'm so sorry again for acting like some creepy stalker, I just have been keeping an eye out for other weak players in hopes of locating a few people to journey fourth with. I guess I shouldn't be quite so roundabout with my introductions. Thus far though I have met two players upon this mission, I must admit I can't wait to continue onto the rest. If you would be so kind perhaps we can both continue down this road together?"

Illia now rocked back and forth on her heels after leaning back to an upright position, her red hair whipped back and out form her face as she kept her gaze away from his. The rather adorable white hair upon his expression was quite handsome. She herself wondered if it was dye that he had purchased, not knowing many people who weren't albino's at that age. Attempting to remain partially formal after her debacle, she replied.

"It's a pleasure, sir Frost."

@Frost

Oh boy, there she goes with another apology. Something he didn't like were those kind of people that were sorry all the time. It wasn't that big of a deal, was it? Anyway, he listened patiently to all she had to say. Until the very end. He closed the eyes in a calm endeavor.

"No thanks." He disattached the sword from his belt and pointed it to her, still the sheath inside. "You could be luring me to a player-killer trap or something! I'm not gonna fall for that little trick. Trust is something earned, not given, and your whole flimsy and sir-like behaviour is very suspicious. In other words, we are done."

His body was really tense. It really was. Finally he got to spit some of the fury out of his chest. Finished the scolding, he smiled at her and tilted his head to the road. Again with the cool facade.

"So off you go then."

@Illia

Edited by Frost

Illia cringed it seemed her approach was overly flawed, to a point that she had completely warded off the man who she was attempting to recruit. Even in her pure honesty of regret he chastised her as if she was just a cat who had just scratched up the carpet. Annoyance now bubbled inside her gut as she decided it wasn't fair that he was to speak his mind without a single rebut to her own integrity.

"I'm not going to stand there as you accuse me of being some sweet little trap for murders! I'm not so low as to stoop to such a low form of living, I hate those who treat life like it is meant to be simply washed away. The first vow that I made as a doctor was do no harm, er ... it will be if I ever manage to finish my medical degree that is. Frankly that all is a dream now considering this is our life. So before you go accusing me of being a part of them. Good day!"

She then reeled back putting her hands on her lips realizing she just gave some truths about herself in a game, she didn't enjoy telling people that part of her life. After that she turned tail and sprinted off toward the direction of the woods attempting to calm herself. Having trained more then the snow white male before her she would have put a fair amount of distance between them. Climbing up a tree after making sure they were out of range as he had requested.

"S-stupid stupid idiot. You can't trust anyone in this game, don't let your barriers down."

@Frost

God, wasn she mad at that! Illia yelled at him that she would not stand there just for him to keep shunning her at his will. She slipped out something about her vows as a doctor in the middle of the bursts or something like that, but she then firmly cut it all out and fled down the road. Frost did not move an inch, standing between a state of tranquility and commotion.

Whatever, prevention is better than the cure. Attaching the sword back to his belt, he wandered off to the contrary direction. A stroll would unwind the sourness of the scene. A few minutes later, this would bring him to the central plaza of the apocalyse, where the <<Monument of Life>> stood with all its grief and glory.

Sitting on a fountain basin, a Chinese-looking teenage guy spot Frost around the crowd. Light, brown armours dressed his slim body and a couple of daggers hanged from the sides, his hair spiky short and black as coal. As Frost approached him, he stood out and waves in a greeting.

"Heya, Frost! Carefree as ever, huh?"

"Not today. I've got some errands to run" Frost replied. "I pass by to check on that. How's the trial?"

The Chinese guy sat again and rubbed his nose. "Regular. It seems the attorneys and the judge cannot agree how long he'd be in jail because of some law disagreement. It will take a while."

"But they're judging him for player-luring from the safe zones, don't they? It's the third case this week. I thought they'd already come to terms with a system."

"The pal testified being threatened and thus doing it out of fear. I think that changes everything depending on countries or some crap."

Frost sighted and brung a hand to his forehead. "And that's what you get when you try to enforce international law." His hand dropped near the body and he paid attention back to his companion. "Whatever. Hey, Siddharta, you've completed the beginners' quests already, haven't you?"

Siddharta blank as he started swinging himself at the edge of the basin. "The Town of Beginnings' ones? Yeah I did. Long time ago. Don't tell me ya haven't!"

"Not a single one. Yet" Frost extended the quest scroll to Siddharta. "That's why I need your help."

As Siddharta stopped the swinging, he arched his back as he unrolled the scroll he was given. One could say he was having a hard time reading through all the handwritting, seeing him frown so hard. Finally, his eyes sparkled in realisation and canted his head back, cackling with glee.

"That's Zachariah! What a whack!"

"You know him?"

"That if I what? Heck yeah! He's the totally lovely grandpa of the newbie line." A crooked grin cut Siddharta's face. "Sometimes he acts like he's this total stereotypical stranger and sometimes he wrecks you all with some human-like and proper behaviour. Super-well crafted guy, I gotta admit."

"It is normal he makes you gather such specific herb, like five red clovers? I heard from others you just have to gather pretty generic stuff."

"It really comes to whatever that comes to him, really. If he's feeling lazy and all about his routine he'd just turn the automatic switch and make it so any generic herb's fine. If he wants it to be an educational tasks or he just feels creative or something, the other way round. I dunno. In my quest I had to search some dandelions."

"Well, will you lend me a hand?"

"Me? Impossible, man. Gotta wait 'til the trial's over. But why don't you just go to the forest? It's the first quest. Cannot be that hard."

Frost thanked Siddharta and went around town on his duty, asking for help to his Friend List and working as the troubleshooter. Every each of them turned him down one after one, these being unable to go because of some other job and others directly refusing the get out of their "comfort zone"... in a literal way. Such was his fortune that he soon had no other but his own. He then regretted being a prick to @Illia. But he knew this was a dangerous world, and he just could not trust some random passerby.

So, to sum it up, he abandoned the Town through the northern gateway. Grass and hills invaded the landscape as he made his way through the agrarian trail. A strong breeze refreshed his face, he could feel it in the waving of his hair, his clothes. Right at the direction of his stroll, the woods awaited at the end of the journey.

Edited by Frost

Illia's perch was steady, reclined back against the stable trunk of the tree she would sit a few sniffles being the only thing heard if they were directly beneath. Like a parrot caged, she would sit this game locking her into a strange world she no care of remaining in. Across her cheeks a few dry streams where her tears had glided across her pale white flesh all the way to the roots of the tree. A memory back to two players, Hakai and Macradon had chastised her for thinking to highly of herself where she had first planned her solo run. Only a few days after she regretted it, searching for others and slowly realizing that denial was the only path. Time wasted supporting those who were depressed didn't serve any purpose now as she thought of the long climb to the front line.

"Stupid girl, thinking that you could band together with anyone. This is what video games are right, long solo adventures desperate and in search of a place to belong."

A pause would separate her thoughts before giving a silent scoff at her own ideals.

"Pathetic."

Her eyes closed shut, now relaxing after all of her own spout of self-loathing. This wouldn't do, it was simple change your state of mind and you could change that image which the world saw. A clenched fist slammed into the trunk the momentum forcing her off the branch which she fell form, her feet crushing the vegetation beneath her soles. It was time for her first real engagement, the fiery girl now stepped through the forest pushing on toward fields where there were numerous boar spawners. The silvery rapier being unsheathed now.

It was just a few minute when she took toward the fields that she saw a player, he was a young child simply practicing sword swings no older then nine. As he swung about she let out a soft giggle now raising her rapier up to parry a wild swing that was launched behind him.

"Gahh!"

The boy tumbled backwards and fell onto her rump now grimacing, his childish feature now lighting up red from the sight of the girl who had parried the strike.

"You know if you do that to often you might end up with an orange cursor. I suggest you practice in simple duels so you don't get into any trouble."

Illia offered a gentle pat to the head just before gripping his arm and helping him up to get a rather fluttered apology.

"Y-yes ma'am sorry about that. I was umm wondering would you like to help me search for materials in the woods? I'm trying to purchase my own house for my friends and I was hoping to make a living selling crafting materials."

Illia nodded happily obliging the young one. "Of course."

@Frost

Early afternoon crept about him as he arrived before the menacing entrance. Thick trees formed two formidable natural barriers from side to side. Inside, umber would vaguely impede the sunlight's visit and divide it into a myriad of small particles. Frost closed the eyes and his ears caressed the sound of a rushing steam. Filling his lungs with the humid air, he ventured into the woods.

His plan was never to stay long. Awareness and common sense alerted him not to get too deep. Nonetheless that was not obstacle for him to melt with the enviroment. Such green he had never seen it anywhere of Iceland, not to say of the North. Even when he evoked his first wood-splitting time in Norway back in the childhood he would remember it bleak. He pondered if he had not been sucked into a King Arthur scenery, or the painting of that Mary Poppins' movie. What a shame he did not recall that long-as-damn word. How was it...?

Oh yes. Enough of. The goal is to find thw red clovers. Remembering this, he scrolled through his inventory and materialized and old leatherbound book in his hand. He had borrowed it from an NPC library. He opened it and started flipping  through the pages.

Trifolium praetense, the red clover, is a herbaceous species of flowering plant in the bean family of Fabaceae. It grows in temperated to cool temperatures on all kinds of humid soils. This makes it very common around damp enviroments such as wet forests or river beds.

Physically it resembles a lot to a crimson clover (read page 56) with pink petals, aside for the fact there are some subspecies of red color  which make it hard to establish a distinction. Whereas both work well as green feeder for livestock, the red clover features cooking and healing properties that its false friend does not, such as...

While reading through all this, he halted. Could that be...? Yes, there. Under the bushes. He ran, dropped to his knees, all damped with mud. He planted the book with the picture next to the original, he clicked on it and.. Yes! The first one into the basket!

He then lifted the head and looked back, over his shoulder. Were steps what he heard? Was someone else coming in?

@Illia

#ID: 90586 | LD: 13 (success!)

1/5 Herbs Gathered

Edited by Frost

Illia knelt down, gently patting the child on the head with a smile as she offered her hand to the flustered boy. A gentle sway of her arm sent the two clasped hands into a rhythmic swing now glancing forward one hand still upon her rapier. A squeeze to her hand though caught her attention, now cast down toward the child as she giggled. A question pushing forward in her mind as she asked him. A calm collected voice asked, "My name is Illia what's yours?"

The rosy cheeks of the child looked down still embarrassed that he was being lead on his way to collect materials with a girl that was older then himself no less. He gulped before whispering out, "Chichio is my name. Thanks again for joining me, I still haven't actually gone into these woods all the other kids said it was to dangerous."

A gentle squeeze of the boys hand would reassure him, as she nodded slowly keeping her pace to stroll as the boy's pace was shortened thanks to the difference in height. As they strolled through across the plains and in through the thicket just before the woods she winced at the  sound of someone. She quickly lifted up Chichio and laid him down at the base of a tree near some brush.

"Shh stay here I'm going to check what or who is out there can you remain quiet for me?"

A gay smile now spread over her lips as she planted a gentle kiss upon his head as if not worried that they could have been followed by ill-tempered players. In a flash she left his side the young one now glancing out from around the tree to watch the scene. She ducked behind some brush to catch a glimpse. After recognition of the whit hair she winced, crap now he really will think I'm stalking him or plotting his death.

Illia sheathed her weapon and raised her hands as she spoke out. Her red hair still made her stand out in the woods like a plump strawberry.

"Didn't really expect to run into you again, it's safe Chichio you can come out now."

It really was. They were growing louder and louder, clear as water to his spot. And suddenly, they halted. He waited still in hopes of any further movements. Not noticing any, he stood up and attempted to sneak towards the entrance. Luckily one of his friends would have decided to come along... but they would have messaged.

Then a person then arised bolt upright from the bushes. Ack!

Frost stared at her bright red hair,  his muscles constrained. Again? Her image was already a forgotten illusion in his memory, he thought there would be more time before she faced her again. But his eyes did not trick him. @Illia was there, standing hand-risen.

"You again?

She told him she wasn't expecting to see him either. Well, it sounded like she was telling so to him, but the way he heard it seemed that it was to no one in particular. The exchange was too fast. When Frost heard her mention the other name, he tried to spy behind her. The upcoming person sparkled his disbelief.

"Are you two going into the woods?" He asked, eyes backtracking to Illia.

Edited by Frost

Illia glanced back, a young boy with his starting sword peeked out with his weapon raised with uncertainty even after the reassurance of the girl he followed. A motherly offer of her hand stretched out for Chichio as she now glanced back toward the man she had the displeasure of meeting. It wasn't entirely his fault, she had been found in a rather awkward position. The kid now clasped onto her hand, sword sheathed once more as she stared out from behind her.

"It's fine, he wouldn't harm anyone. He's to afraid of other players setting up traps to kill him, isn't that right."

A remark from their previous meeting as she now sighed hoping to change the tension between them. Illia nodded toward Frost's comment of adventuring into the forest. The tone in her voice disappearing as she tried to lay back.

"Yeah, Chichio here wanted to gather some materials. He wants to start his own business I think so he can help support the other kids. Don't worry I will try and keep out of your hair, we don't want to intrude on your mission."

Chichio nodded agreeing with this as he planned to become a strong fighter one day if this game still.

@Frost

Wait, who was the afraid one? Him? The hell with the rosy lass, that sure's it's called cockiness! She was the one that held no responsability for her actions, less in the times they were. But he would not take offense. Not, at least, in front of her.

Idly holding now the sword sheath from shoulder to shoulder behind his neck, half as a prisoner,  half as a madman, he listened to the civilised excuse and looked at her and the kid. He could think of a million things to tell them.

"Oh yes? How cool! Hey you sure must be some very big boy warrior, aren't you?" he praised at Chichio, leaning to him with a hand on his own leg. Then retired a hand from the leg to the waist. The next one went directed at @Illia. "Well then. Say hi to the Seven Dwarves, I guess."

He crouched and picked a clover up from an inner bush. Lucky devil.

2/5 Herbs Gathered

ID: 90753 | LD: 11 (success!)

Edited by Frost

Illia now frowned hearing the comment about seven dwarves as it didn't even make sense, he was the only one around here that even remotely resembled Snow White. The boy however moved forward nodding as he joined Frost seeing the elderly brother vibe from him as he laughed. His own sword being unsheathed as he pointed it toward the sky. "I'm also going to defeat all the bosses so we can break free and into the real world. I just hope that they allow us to come back to this world it would be fun to see again. Without the death problem that is, if it really is permanent after all we don't really know."

The red head grumbled before now leaning back against the tree, she would let those two boys be boys she herself keeping an eye out around their surroundings. Among the forest there were the immovable objects trees and bushels that one could use for hiding. Her eyes wouldn't really hone in on the idea of resources as she imagined he was the type who preferred to gather things alone.

"So what's your story, Snow White hair? Why did you join this game were you told that it would be fun by friends or you happily leaped into the breech by yourself?"

@Frost

Wow, hearing the word "permanent" from some nine-year old child? Awesome. So kids really read that much these days.

Frost valued his courage at heart but did not respond as he assumed the @Illia girl would tell him to go on. That kind of passerby chat was not the type that could keep going for long after all. To his misfortune, the clovers in that bush were wearing off. He turned the pupils to the corner of the eyes when she, surprisingly, tried to strike conversation.

"Don't you have some mats to gather?" he asked.

And here he thought he had told them "farewell".

2/5 Herbs Gathered

ID: 90924 | LD: 5 (fail)

Edited by Frost
  • 2 weeks later...

The forest was gorgeous, though the white haired jerk seemed to keep ruining the scenery for her as she grumbled. It seemed like every other gamer you met acted just like him strong and egocentric even when others worked harder. First Macradon now this Frost character.

The fiery red-head puffed up her cheeks, the attitude of the second male companion was quite infuriating everything he said seemed to be a jab in her direction. She simply scoffed and now patted the young kid along the back giving him the encouragement to go off a little ways ahead of them to search for his own materials. "You know you don't have to be such a ... such a ..." she mumbled over a few unkind words, the kid still in hearing distance as she instead began to mouth the word, douche bag. It seemed a bit childish to try and hide such unkind words, particularly since most kids in this day an age grew up with such harsh vocabulary in the public school districts. "Just put up with our company a bit longer, I know you hate me but this mission for him is a big deal unlike yourself besides someone as low as you obviously has no skill else you would be out there on the front line by now fighting for the rest of us. You probably can't even take me in a duel and I'm not even that good."

@Frost

Edited by Illia