[PP-F16] Sides of the Coin <Itzal and Hestia>

Itzal chuckled as she talked about transferring Velnia's destructive power over to the floor bosses and soloing the game.  "Definitely.  I feel like Velnia is the glitch in the system sometimes.  Every familiar I've come across thus far has always had patterns, and while they can be spontaneous or energetic, none have been so to the extremes as Velnia.  I think if Kayaba did design this familiar, he didn't account for that energy and randomness to allow her this kind of power."  He heard her ask him if he found any fun in the action and process of attempting to find a way to pass by the monstrous wave Velnia had made.  He shrugged.  "I didn't really think anything, and all I felt was urgency.  After handling the situation however, my mind wrapped itself around the sheer absurdity of what happened and.  Well, I couldn't hold back,"  he said with a chuckle.  He looked at Hestia who had sat down beside him.  "So.  Now that that's out of the way, what would you like to do?"

@Hestia

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just chuckle and looks around the area around us as i turn towards you and just shrugs as i am still chuckling at the sheer absurdness of Velnia. I'm still a bit at a loss for words on what to do after that, but i did promise you on teaching you how to surf though Itzal. Let's start with that since keeping a promise is important. I say cheerfully and happily as i turn towards velnia. Okay can you create some waves again. Not like you did before but manageable once for the boards we're going to be on to allow our body to fit within the wave but you know not get knocked off entirely unless we mess up. I ask Velnia hoping she gets what i am trying to go for but knowing their is a good chance that is not going to happen since i am not the best at explaining things sometimes, and i am talking to a familiar who has never once seen a surfing movie before to understand what i am going for.

Kuro just looks towards Velnia and then flies a bit away and starts gathering everything that was washed a bit away do to Velnia's giant wave she had made. Kuro just wishing to help with getting things set up for the future for when the two of us wish to relax on the beach. Plus Kuro would rather avoid being near any waves that Velnia creates now in fear of being near one like that again.

He listened to Hestia as she told him she'd like to follow through with her plan on teaching him how to surf.  He chuckled while rubbing the back of his head.  "Yeah, my first attempt was worse than I was expecting.  Though that tsunami may have had something to do with it," he said with a grin to Velnia, who grinned nervously and chased after Kuro, attempting to help him in order to make up for what she had done.  Before she got far however, Hestia started asking Velnia if she could make a few waves.  Velnia blinked, looking at the destruction, the ocean, Hestia, and repeating the process twice as fast before just giving a shrug of sorts.  She flew over to the water and started practicing by shooting into the air before launching into the water, trying to make a strong enough force to create waves.  They weren't big at first, so she started to boost her speed greatly until she finally had good sized waves.  Itzal got on his board and nodded to Hestia, ready to follow her into the water.

@Hestia

Possibly most people don't start with tsunami's as their first wave they go into. I say with a chuckle as i watch Velnia shoot out towards the water and takes a bit to start going to form the waves. However, once she does start getting good ones i grin as i head towards the water and turns to you. Okay first lets get you use to standing on your board on the water. I figure since you have good balance starting with waves while on the water will make for a good challenge, and appropriate level. Since the first part of standing on motionless water is getting use to getting up on the board and then learning the proper balance. I tell you with a smile as i gesture for you to go towards the water to learn. Also i think you can be a quick learner so i think you can figure out how to get onto the board from a layer position on it. With your stomach being flat against the board. I tell you with a smile. Only going to give a demonstration on how if you manages to fail at doing so five times. Having a smile on my face as i sit and watch on the wet sand ignoring my familiar Kuro who is gathering up everything, but knowing he is doing so as i make a note in my mind to find some way to reward him for doing so.

Itzal heard Hestia's words involving tsunami's and chuckled along with her as he walked behind her.  She told him they should start with him getting used to balancing on the water.  He nodded and started heading towards the water with the board.  Once he was in relatively deep waters, he began to adjust himself.  However he wasn't used to the ground being so slippery, or rather, being on a board that was slippery on the water, and fell.  Once he recovered, he grabbed the Board again and climbed on, this time keeping himself from putting too much weight on either side.  He stood on it at last but it still wasn't easy for him.  The best way he could describe it was that unlike when he walked on railings or walls, it wasn't him that was imbalanced.  It was the ground itself.  It took two tries but he managed to keep himself from falling over, despite the water's attempts to do so.  He could watch the current pulling him towards the sea, despite the fact that the tide was pushing against the shore.  He should figure out how it works exactly, once he has the time that is.  "Alright so what's next?"

@Hestia

Okay so getting on the board is what we do once we get on a wave Itzal. For now just lay on the board and we'll paddle out towards the waves that Velnia is kindly creating for us. I say cheerfully as i lay on my board in the water and begins to paddle out towards the waves that Velnia is creating using my arms to do so while keeping my body on the board. Not waiting for you to do so figuring you can do this part rather easily as we head towards the waves. I can only smile though surprised at how you were able to pick this up rather quickly. At least the standing on the board part. Know that that for myself it took many many tries to actually be able to figure out how to do so correctly, and even then sometimes i still slip and fall off the board here and their if i am not careful.

Itzal listened to Hestia as she suggested that they take the next step and get onto the board once they were on a wave and how they'd start by paddling out to the waves Velnia was creating.  Itzal nodded and began to push his board against the waves towards Velnia.  He couldn't see Hestia's smile of course, as he was behind her watching how she moved through the water.  This was his first time so he would be watching her the first time, and then trying it afterwards...  Or at least that was his hope.  "Hey Hestia?  Is it alright if I watched you do it before trying it?  I'd like to see how you transition from getting hit by the wave, to riding it."  He needed to see what she did exactly.  If she pushed forward before the wave reached her.  If she waited until the wave was on top of her to get up.  And at that point, how she got up in the first place with the board moving the way it did when pulled in by the force of the wave.

@Hestia

Of course you can watch. I say with a smile as i head towards the wave as i don't head into it right away i stop in front of it a little bit away to have time to turn my board to the side and once i start to feel the water start to be sucked by the wave i get onto my surf board standing upon it with a smile on my face. Once i get pulled up a bit i start moving about pointing the board downwards to gain some speed and then shifts my weight and how the board is turned to starts moving up and down along the wave while also moving towards one side of it. Smiling happily the entire time as i do so putting my hand into the water as i make a turn from going straight towards either turning the board left or right to change the direction i would be going in. I don't really focus that much on when the wave is going to end just enjoying this sensation that i have missed oh so much without realizing how much i have missed this. To just have fun for fun's sake while being at the beach.

Kuro is on the beach resting his head as he watches having managed to gather all the items at this point. Kuro now taking a small little rest that is available since Velnia is busy making the waves that you and i are surfing on.

Itzal heard her tell him he could and stayed there as she began moving towards the wave, noting that she stopped a little bit in front of it so she'd have time to turn around.  She then started to get up, standing on the board, while she was being sucked in.  Itzal nodded as this made sense.  You couldn't surf if you weren't turned away from the waves, and thus you needed time to turn the board around.  At the same time, if you're quick, you can shift to standing position while being sucked in.  The balance was an issue of course, he wasn't sure what that would be like, but nonetheless that was how it was done.  She then pointed the board downwards, and this is where Itzal's eyes narrowed a bit.  He could see why she did so, though it would make things a bit difficult for Itzal.  There would be a lot of improve unfortunately.  He watched her moving along the wave, touching it with her hand and waving to Itzal as she passed him.  Itzal nodded and began wading out to another wave being created.  He timed it perfectly, turning it around the way he should.  He somehow managed to stand up while it was starting to draw him in.  But when he tried to tilt it forward, he lost all balance and the board slipped from his grasp, shooting into the air while he fell into the water.  Before he could break the surface, the board fell, piercing the water and pushing him a bit further before finally reaching the surface again.  He lay on the board for a moment.  "This is gonna take a while..."

@Hestia

I ride the wave till it gets towards the beach as the board goes along the wave before it stops once the tide starts to pull the water back in. I turn towards where you are as i see you get up, but then quickly fall into the water as your board shoots upwards. I wince a bit as i know what is going to happen next from having similar experiences before in the real world. I watch as the board land roughly were you fell as i can only hope it didn't knock the air out of you. I pick up my surf board and then swims over to where you are and looks down at you. You okay Itzal? I ask in a gentle and kind tone having missed your comment as i didn't arrive when you came out of the water.

Don't worry about not getting it right away it took quite a bit of time to get everything down to be able to do what i am doing right now Itzal. I say in a optimistic tone as i look you in the eyes. By the way i saw you at least get on the wave how did that feel? I ask curiously wondering if you felt in particular emotion by being on the wave, but sadly not getting to the actual surfing part.

Itzal watched as Hestia waded her way over to him and asked him if he was ok.  He chuckled.  "Other than dealing one point of damage to myself, I'm perfectly fine.  Can't feel pain in Aincrad remember?"  He pulled himself fully onto the board as he listened to her mention how it took time to get to where she was and he nodded with understanding.  "How long did it take exactly?"  he asked her with a grin.  She asked him how it felt when he got onto the wave.  He sighed as he stretched his limbs.  "Uneasy would be the strongest feeling.  I'm used to having to balance myself when walking on something like a railing or wall.  This was a totally different experience as the floor itself wanted to move and I had to keep it balanced.  Totally different skill and technique.  On top of that, the board is unbelievably slippery against the water, so it makes it easy to get nervous and slip up.  I'd say it's like the flipside of parkour.  That would be the most accurate description I can come up with.  Besides uneasy, I had the same adrenaline rush I get when I'm in the middle of parkour.  There's always a risk no matter what you do."

Itzal saw another wave coming so he figured he'd give it another shot.  This time, the board didn't dunk him in the water and spear him...  It threw him in the air and smacked him in the head, tossing him a bit away before he finally resurfaced, the one point of damage vanishing when health regeneration kicked in.  He went to grab his board and try again.

@Hestia

Well i mean you can't feel pain but your brain will still try to recreate that sensation since it expects it from how life like everything is. I say pointing out that since new players still feel pain since they're not use to that idea that pain doesn't exist within this game. And how long did it take? Uhhh a week or two to get basic things done to be able to surf without to much difficulty and then well practice makes perfect so it took technically months to get where i am at do to the whole practice makes perfect thing you know? I say with a small cheerful smile as i rest on my board. I nod my head in understanding of the plight of having to balance what is beneath you rather then yourself since that goes a bit against what most people are use to and know. I wince a bit again as i watch the board hit your head as i rub my own head remembering that happening a few times that had happened to me. Not lots of fun those moment were but a necessary step in learning what to do and how to do things correctly.

Itzal shrugged when she said what she talked about the pain dampener and how the mind created the sensations on it's own.  Otherwise known as phantom pain.  "I mean, that's if you're mind hasn't already adjusted.  I've almost forgotten what pain is like at this point...  Oh gosh it's going to be a nightmare when I get back home."  After Itzal's wipeout, he didn't give up.  In fact he tried, and failed, at least twenty seven times in a row.  Velnia was actually grinning and chuckling at Itzal's attempts.  A week?  Itzal didn't have that kind of time with Fearx or Death Adder out there just waiting to kill someone. He needed to train.  However he knew that if he mastered this, it could make it easier to handle shifting landscapes and such.  While he wasn't making any sort of immediate progress, Hestia would notice that he was slowly, very slowly, getting better at keeping his balance when standing up on the wave.  He even stopped hitting himself with the surfboard after the twenty second attempt!  Something she would also notice however, was that he wasn't stopping.  And he may soon run out of energy before he could fully master the technique.

@Hestia

oh yeah we can't really feel pain anymore at least if you have adjusted. I would like to think i have adjusted enough after punching a boulder repeatedly for almost a quarter of a day, but i know that will be absolutely nothing when compared to what lies before me. As things only get more difficult, and dangerous with what these monsters can do. I can only imagine what others mythological beasts await me if they brought the minotaur for a rather basic quest. I say rather excitedly as i can only imagine what other creatures will await me. Having a small idea on what one of them was while traveling the sixth floor. Having heard rumors of some kind of lion like creature that can control a element of some type. Not knowing which one from only having heard a very basic description without knowing what else lies beyond that.

I smile a bit at seeing your willingness to always get back up after each attempt not allowing yourself to be discouraged by everything. However, at the same time i can see you getting exhausted from all of these attempts, and the very slow moving progress that you are making at this moment. I swim over towards you while on my board as i lean down towards you. Hey Itzal while i appreciate you trying a lot with this but i can tell you are getting a bit exhausted from all of this. You know all these attempts so why don't i show you what i do and try to do it as slow as i can so you can watch. I offer with a smile as i don't wait much for a response as i just go towards a wave and waits before it. As it starts to pick me up i get onto the board and waits till i start to rise as i then slowly change the direction of the board starting off right away as i get up so there would be enough time to shift direction. When i manage to point the board down as i look towards you giving you a peace sign as i start cutting down the wave as i quickly change direction. As i do so i have my body closer towards the board and my hand skidding along the water as the board shift directions as i repeat this process. Hoping you are a good visual learner rather then lecture oriented learning. Knowing i would have lots of difficulty teaching this if you are more lecture based rather then visual. The difficulty coming from not being the best explaining of how things are meant to go in a process.

Itzal definitely agreed with her in the sense of mythological creatures to face in the future.  They had only scratched the surface after all.  The Greek floor had no quests at the moment, so he was eager to see what would be created for that floor.  There was also the island floor so pirate quests and ship quests may be a thing.  Then there was floor fourteen with it's dark and foreboding fortress.  So many floors with so much potential lore to be created and added.  Itzal was so freaking excited to see what would occur, be created, and added into this world for him to encounter.  Anything besides Fearx was welcome.  He'd even face powerful beasts and demons he feared from the books, such as Shruikan, Galbatorix' dragon from the Eragon series, the Nazgul from Lord of the Rings, even the Balrog if need be.  Just not Fearx.  Anything and anyone but Fearx.  Unfortunately he didn't have much of a choice.  Then Hestia called out to him, catching his attention.  She told him that she noticed he was getting exhausted from these attempts and suggested to watch her again as she did it as slowly as she could.  Itzal nodded and let her move to the next wave.  He watched her every move, as well as her body posture and positioning.  After she rode the wave away, Itzal paddled slowly to the next wave, going over what he saw in his mind.

As the wave approached he turned his board which he had nearly mastered, and thus was faster than before.  He positioned his body the way she had, and lifted himself up the same way.  He could feel his feet slipping but he steadied it in time.  He tilted his board down and lasted for a full, two seconds on the wave before it flipped and dunked him underwater yet again.

@Hestia

I smile a bit as i watch this process happen as i can only nod my head and understand this as a learning process. That everything takes time to master and understand on how to do efficiently and fully. Especially when it comes to understanding how much adjustment is needed for a particular body type. That the amount is needed to change and adjust is around the same for everyone but the small differences make the key difference. Since a smaller person would need to make different adjustments do to weight and height that wouldn't be accounted for someone taller or more muscular or heavy. That isn't even taking account the difference in genders and how certain things can affect how much balancing is needed for a change each time. I can only smile and know that i can trust you to figure this out in time since you always seemed rather smart and able to pick up on things seemingly quickly, or at the very least pick up on things that happen around you. I can only hope you figure this out before the sun sets for us.

I look towards where my familiar is and decides that joining him for now could be a bit fun and interesting to see if a idea could work. I swim back towards the beach on my surf board as i put it near the other items we had bought when we got out of hear. I help set up the chairs and umbrella just perfectly as i smile at the result of doing so creating a nice relaxing area out of the sun. After getting that set up i turn towards Kuro with a grin as i pick up the volleyball. Come on lets play a little game what do you say? I ask my familiar who just gives me a stubborn look for five seconds before getting up and immediately flies into the air as he looks towards me wondering how this is going to go. Okay i hit it and you then hit it back. I'm going to try and make you move faster by hitting it farther and farther away. I mean you almost got hit by a tsunami Kuro. I tell my familiar playfully who then gives me a small glare and eagerly awaits my start.

Itzal was doing his best to adjust to the technique.  He was getting better, but up to this point he'd been relying on his parkouring skills.  He needed to think with his head, crunch the physics numbers.  He calculated his weight, the shape of the board as well as what he'd learned about it's speed and lack of friction, as well as how to create friction.  Similar to how you turn with a bike, so long as you have enough momentum in a certain direction, you could stick to surfaces.  He made three more attempts, the first two in order to gather information.  The third was to test this information out.  He had...  Failed, but was more successful than ever.  He made at least five more attempts before he finally managed to follow the wave.  His balance was shaky but he wasn't a pro...  Not yet.  He didn't reach the shore either, so he waded over to Velnia's waves and tried again.  With each new attempt, he found himself able to control the board far more easily than beforehand.  By the time he had reached his fifteenth attempt, Itzal was now practicing moving back and forth without falling, only moving a few inches at first.  By attempt seventeen, he had grown accustomed to moving back and forth with the board, and was now able to ride the wave fully, making his way all the way back to the beach.  When he did he hopped off the board and waved to Velnia who shot over to the beach to meet up with them.  He picked up the board and placed it near their things.

"It took a while...  A long while actually, looking at the time.  But I think I've finally got it.  What are you guys doing at the moment?"

@Hestia

As you head back towards the beach you see hestia punching a volleyball with a grin on her face as it gets sent back towards the air where Kuro is waiting as he moves over as fast as he can towards the object and smacks it towards the ground in a direction as far away from me as he can while keeping in mind how far i could go. I quickly move across the sand and stops as fast as i can and punches the ball towards the air with a grin on my face as i continue to do this during your attempts with each hitting slowly making me force kuro to go farther and me to go farther then the last to force us to try and get faster. I punch the ball towards Kuro as i hear you arrive on the beach as i turn and gives you a wave with a happy smile on my face. Hey Itzal had fun with surfing out their? I say rather happily.

As i hear your question i smile a bit as i quickly kick the ball back upwards having spied it heading toward the ground to me. Most likely Kuro trying to hit me for being distracted. Well the goal is to try and get faster by hitting it farther and farther away to force our bodies to move faster towards where it is going to be, and it also helps with predicting where the attack is going to go when a opponent goes to attack. Cause it is predicting how they hit it and where the angle is going to go. that is the idea of it of how this could be applied towards combat. The other function-. I hit the ball back towards kuro harder then last time and away from the water unlike last time as Kuro has to dash towards where the ball is going to be. Having already started when he saw me use my other leg and how it was moving to hit the ball. -Of what this is suppose to be. Besides that it is just fun hitting a ball around. I say rather cheerfully.

Itzal watched and listened as Kuro and Hestia knocked the ball back and forth, Kuro doing rather well in predicting Hestia and where she was going to be hitting the ball next.  He nodded when she asked if he had any fun out on the water.  "A little bit when I stopped falling off my board all the time, heh."  She explained how the goal was to get faster and further so that they could increase their combat skills, while also having fun during the process itself.  Itzal nodded as he began to get an understanding and turned to Velnia with a grin.  "What do you say Velnia?  Interested?"  Velnia grinned and nodded, and Itzal turned to Hestia.  "Should we have our own game?  Or would it work in teams?  I feel like it would be less of a challenge and work if there were two on each side, but seeing as how you're the game creator and coach, I feel like you should make the decision" he said with a chuckle.  He was already very fast, strong, and had very quick reflexes thanks to his training and grinding.  But fighting on sand could always be difficult if it was dry with nothing wet on it.  It became loose and ruined your footing.  He may or may not stand a chance against these two due to this factor.

@Hestia

familiars versus players. I say with a grin on my face as i catch the ball with a smile as Kuro comes back rather curious what is happening right now. Okay the game is the familiars have to try to make the ball touch the ground first before me and Itzal can make you drop the ball first or get to far out to sea. I say with a smile as i know the moment i say this that Velnia will make it rather easy for this challenge so i add the extra rule. Velnia you are allowed everything from this point. I say as i draw a line in the side. Towards the sea while Kuro has to get everything else. on the other side of the land. The reason being is i know Velnia could most likely get everything by herself if her speed is anything to go by. I say with a smile on my face while chuckling. I toss the ball towards Itzal with a smile. You start it off. Hit it towards Kuro to begin with. I tell you rather cheerfully as i get on my side of the line  as you can see that where i put the line makes it rather even on how the beach is split from sea to the area where their are trees. To make sure not one side has a advantage over the other.