2.5.2 New Mechanic: Thread Invasions/Protected Threads

2.5.1 New Mechanic: Thread Invasions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the mechanic proposed below, or not?

• I like it.
    • I don't like it.

Once again, I want to reach out to you, the playerbase to help me come up with things to spice up the RP on this site. Now that the patch for the PKing rules is almost ready to get out, I want to talk to you guys about the addition of a mechanic that I want to call "Thread Invasions".

Back in the old discussion thread some players liked the idea while others hated it. Now I've come up with something new (thank you @Itzal) that might fix the issues pointed out in the old thread regarding this matter.

--------------------------------------------------

Thread Invasion

Players are now allowed to enter other PP or SP threads where they are not invited in order to attack, scare, etc. other players. Initiating combat against another player outside of a duel must also begin with a similar initiative roll.

However there are several rules on invading other players threads:

• After a Player has entered a PP or SP without permission there is a 3 thread Cooldown before this player can invade another thread.
    • Cooldown threads must be created after the 'Invasion' (Time Stamps) and must be tagged as such.
    • At your first post of an 'Invasion' you have to link your last 'Invasion' as well as the 3 Cooldown threads. Failing to do so, will result in the 'Invasion' to become invalid and deleted.
  • Invading players have to post at least (Max SP available)*20/3 rounded up posts to qualify for SP rewards.
    • Example: Player A invades the SP of Player B. The thread ends at 20 posts; this means Player A has to post at least 7 posts in order to qualify for SP rewards. (Player B always receives normal rewards)
      Example: Player A invades a PP of Player B and C. The thread is already very long and after the thread is done, it has 80 posts. So in order to qualify for SP rewards at least 27 posts must have been made by Player A (Player B and C always receive normal rewards)
  • Invaders do NOT qualify for Col rewards, no matter the amount of posts they do in an invaded thread.
  • RP combat only.
    • This means that no dice, stats and calculations are used. The combat only happens in the RP so please take care to avoid 'godmodding'
    • In case you feel like somebody is 'godmodding' in your thread, contact the Player Support Team and we will help you.
  • And most importantly: NO player can be killed this way without OOC permission of the other participants of the thread. There will be no exceptions made to this rule.

--------------------------------------------------

While this might seem like a cool idea to spice things up on a boring grinding/farming thread, it also comes with he risk of other players ruining really important moments in your RP. Thus I have thought about adding a new tag. 

The "Protected" or [PT] tag. If this tag is used in front of a thread it means that nobody can ever enter the thread without OOC permission.

Now I hear you say: "But Aereth. That is the same as with the old Private and Solo tags..." But let me explain further. 

In order to add the [PT] tag to your thread you must use a so called "Protected Thread Token" on your fist post. These tokens can be earned by something like this: After every x(3?) threads you receive a "Protected Thread Token" to use for protecting your important threads. 

This way players can enjoy the excitement that comes with invading threads, while also keeping their important moments to themselves and the ones they want to share them with. 

Sooooo. If you guys and gals like the idea, pleas vote with Yes, and if you don't like the idea, please vote with No and explain why you don't like it. Really helps me figuring out what the playerbase wants. 

Until that, see ya later.

Like promised all the tags from the previous thread:

@Jomei  @Kisodeth @Eira @Sey  @Thorsten @Ryo @Paglikha @Kion @Vigilon @Lessa @Ssendom @Genji @Vale  @Endilix @Manta Gaul @Macradon @Hakai  @Seul  @Helios @Azide @Ruby @Opal

After catching up about the whole PK'ing situation finally I thought that this would be a good time to put in my own opinion in on the subject.

One of the biggest things that I think is necessary, which I like is the protection from being invaded. Having this makes sure lower leveled players don't have to be immediately concerned for someone hopping into their thread. Depending on how many threads this lasts for or levels, it'll give the players hopefully enough time to gather some early levels or even make some higher leveled friends to RP with as the story goes on.

For the invasion of a thread, since you're intruding on someone else's thread, I don't think rewards at the end of the thread should be handed out at all to the invader. This is just going to turn into a way to milk extra SP for invading someone one the first or second post to make sure to get the SP, thus adding incentive to do that every 3 threads. So if we remove this, players are going to do it strictly for the sake of story and to actually invade a thread, rather than doing it so they can get some extra SP, leveling up that player faster than usual.

• RP combat only.
    • This means that no dice, stats and calculations are used. The combat only happens in the RP so please take care to avoid 'godmodding'
    • In case you feel like somebody is 'godmodding' in your thread, contact the Player Support Team and we will help you.
  • And most importantly: NO player can be killed this way without OOC permission of the other participants of the thread. There will be no exceptions made to this rule.

RP Combat only is the part that bothers me the most about this entire idea if I'm being blunt and honest. I understand players frown upon losing their progress because they got killed, and that this is to please the public, but what's the fun in invading a thread to "PK" if you have to get permission. That's like going up to a person and saying, "Excuse me ma'am but do you mind if I steal your purse and run away with everything you own?" Nobody would say yes to something like this and I feel adding this is defeats the entire purpose. Isn't the whole point of this patch supposed to be that PK'ing changes? The only thing that changes with this entire thing as far as I can see is that you can intrude someone's thread in the hopes to earn some extra SP to pump into other stats.

While protection threads should remain and non protected players can actually hire mercenaries now or bodyguards to keep them safe if they want, meaning protection guilds can actually be a thing with the intrusion feature. The player that is intruding should have a debuff on them called "Invading" upon entering a thread, and for the first maybe 3 posts of invading, they can't attack or have possibly reduced damage for the first players that disables them from one shotting them on the first attack. This way the player has time to respond and can choose Fight or Flight. The ability to run away is always and option and keep in mind that if you attack a player, you immediately turn orange. So if the player enters a safezone in time, they can actually escape the fight itself. Also to prevent one player from constantly being invaded over and over again by other people i.e. a PK guild targetting the player continuously, they should also have invasion protection for 3 threads to allow them a chance to do threads without a fear of being intruded upon again. This being said, RP'ing with a player that has this form of invasion protection does not protect others in the guild. It simply means that they can't be the target of the thread by other invaders.

All in all, I enjoy the work you guys are doing for players of all kinds, but making it so you need permission to act upon anything from the other person is counter productive in my eyes and kills the entire purpose of this. Like I said earlier, if I were to hop on my other account, I'd simply invade for the sake of getting some extra SP without having to put in as much work by jumping into a thread early. Feel free to point out if I made a mistake with any of my ideas here, I'm just trying to give my input on the subject.

EDIT: The point of SAO was that players were constantly living in fear. They were afraid of either dying to monsters, bosses, or PKers. Since there is no way to be killed with this by a player at all since it's RP combat only, there isn't any fear at all. If someone were to have joined my thread right now, the only thing that I fear is that it would extend the duration of the thread because that's another person I have to wait to post now. I don't have to worry about them attacking me and my character dying. Which is the reason why I added in 1-Shot Protection, this will last for 3 posts of all players that were originally in that thread. This guarantees that they will live for the next 3 posts, and can be left with a minimum of 1 health. If the attacker inflicted a source of DoT effect on them, at the end of the 3 turns, it would remove all negative effects to make sure you don't bleed out immediately upon it ending. Movement impairing effects on another hand do not last longer, they simply stall out the 1-Shot protection, or we can extend it to 5 posts, but then having to keep a player in place for 5 turns clearly is a lot of RNG in their favor. Overall, I think that for this to work we need to enable more protection upon being invaded to make it valid. If this doesn't get added, honestly I don't think we should even implement the invasion system.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Edited by Daeron

Personally, I like the idea of requiring others' permission to kill. While nobody was safe in SAO, let's all remember that this is SAO-RPG, not SAO itself. When one player kills another, a player has taken all that the newly deceased had striven for and threw it away, making it all for naught. Nobody who wants their hard work doing all that posting to mean something wants to have the risk of being spontaneously murdered by some truly mean PKer. Nobody(Well, at least, in my opinion). RP combat only also makes sure that no-one gets killed so easily/rudely, especially without permission.

As for the invasions and protections, I have mixed feelings about it. See, If player A and player B were to make a string of threads that would be important to their characters(and they somehow couldn't think of any other threads to do in the meantime) and they had just used their PT on their previous thread, how would you think they would feel if that thread ended up being invaded? And that was only one example...

I currently haven't figured out whether I should vote yes or no just yet, but I believe we all need to think about this, and be considerate of others.

I can see how thread invasion could be a cool idea, but it's still something I'd be against, very much against. Invading a thread is just annoying in so many ways, you might be in a big plot with someone and you're making threads to make it fan out, but suddenly, this guy shows up being all edgy and stuff, ruining whatever you were planning to do. Now, you could just go away from the thread and make a new one, but that's just bothersome.

Just my 0.02 dollars

@Vigilon While I do understand your reasoning for saying this I feel that if the player-based community as a whole wants this to truly feel like SAO, I think that this implementation is completely necessary. But as I've seen this site grow for years, one thing hasn't changed, and that was that players never really expressed their fear for a playerkiller at any time. People are adjusted to the idea that most player killers only RP with other PK'ers, thus making them ignored. Even guilds look at PK'ers the same that they killed someone, yet I see people RP'ing with them all the time.

In any RPG where you can be PK'ed and Looted players usually squad up in case a player shows up to fight them (Runescape, WoW) on certain servers that's what they thrive for. Of course I see that we are a text based RPG, but still an RPG nonetheless. When was the last time a player you RP'ed with talked about why they don't want to RP in fear of a Player Killer. Now the only thing lower leveled players suddenly feel scared of is fighting higher level monsters with a high level player. Not at all the fact that the player could turn and kill them in one hit, nope it was the monster they feared. That's why if we add this, we can have players with a Bodyguard "Profession" and do nothing but help lower leveled players survive at low stages, and keep them safe from the player killers after their Protection ran out. In fact, Tanks could get Invasion Defense, a new potential skill for tanks to use for protection.

<<Invasion Defense>> Upon a player invading a thread and targeting a player without this skill, all players that are part of this invasion are coated with an aura, can only be damaged for a cap.

Adding this for Bodyguard/Tank players, would allow them to truly be a protector like they were hired for, and could give the player being protected relief that they are guaranteed not to die for 3 turns.

To make sure that not all players can get this to have this, could either become a profession on it's own that allows them to receive the skill that way, OR a player requires a certain amount of HP to unlock.

In other words, me bringing this idea is not me trying to say "I want players die", I'm simply saying that "Players should always be afraid of dying, though not being in that situation all the time." I doubt even if we release this, that a bunch of players would flow over to becoming an orange player just to kill someone, I believe however that if we want this to feel more lively, we should allow some sort of intrusion.

Edited by Daeron

@Daeron

First of all, Vigilon is right.  People come here to role play and to create a story for a character they'd like to see in the world of Sword art Online.  Nobody wants their character to just suddenly die on them because someone else decides to play the villain.  I've seen so many people turn their character dark because they got 'bored', and quite recently watched a player assault someone else without permission, because they decided they wanted their character to be dark, rather than light.  In addition, players who put effort into their characters do not want to lose all that effort to a pk.  It drives people away, and quite frankly I understand that.  If someone killed my character off without my consent, I'd leave the site for good.  Attacking a character out of nowhere is fine because it invites character development.  Killing someone without asking them first however is something that will drive players away.

Secondly, this has already been discussed in another thread that we sent out to the community to discuss.  Players have made their inputs, discussed, and nearly everyone agreed with no killing without OOC permission.  The question we are asking here, is if you think the idea of invading a player's thread, with the options of tagging your thread as protected, is a good idea or not?

@Itzal

I have added some changes to the buff in bold text. This new option to the buff is essentially a way of saying "I want to run" or "Yes, I agree to fight you." Also, I feel if we added in movement impairing effect limitations such as saying only one paralyze or stun of some sort may be effective on you throughout the entire duration of the effect. Meaning if you got stunned in the beginning, you can not be stunned again until this effect wears off or is removed.

<<Invasion Defense>> Upon a player invading a thread and targeting a player without this skill, all players that are part of this invasion are coated with an aura, limiting the amount of damage the player can take up to 20% of their current health. Upon the player retaliating by engaging in combat with any attacker, the buff wears off immediately. While this buff active, players protected by the buff can only be impaired movement one time throughout the entire duration. 

Adding this for Bodyguard/Tank players, would allow them to truly be a protector like they were hired for, and could give the player being protected relief that they are guaranteed not to die for 3 turns.

To make sure that not all players can get this to have this, could either become a profession on it's own that allows them to receive the skill that way, OR a player requires a certain amount of HP to unlock.

Edited by Daeron

There are two issues I can see there.  For one, if we put in that players being assaulted have the option of running, that's relying on the dice roller, which can be very fickle to many players, returning to the issue of players who don't want their characters dying being assaulted in various threads because players can invade whenever they'd like.  While it lessens the chance of it actually happening, I can name a few people who would leave the site if players had permission to jump in and attack, with the chance of their character dying.

The second one is that even if they can only stun/paralyze once, if they paralyze or stun them before the other can do anything, they can't defend themselves.  While we could change this so that players can only stun/paralyze a post after the defending player does something, I really like the rp combat and this is why:

This is indeed a role playing site, and while the roller and numbers do exist since this is like SAO (which we do wish for this site to be as cannon as possible while being fair at the same time), this is a site to create stories, and not kill other players for fun.  That's why I like the invasion rules as it is.  With needing OOC permission to kill the players, invading becomes something strictly for creating a story.  It adds options for role play, and opens possibilities for character development.  You can make invasion threads go however way you'd like in a rp combat mode, but using the rollers for the combat removes your ability to control what happens.  It may make the defending player appear pathetically weak despite their level (or vice versa) and that player may feel discouraged OOC, or upset and walk away.  While we want to make this site cannon, we also want to keep it as a role playing forum, and make it fun for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Itzal said:

There are two issues I can see there.  For one, if we put in that players being assaulted have the option of running, that's relying on the dice roller, which can be very fickle to many players, returning to the issue of players who don't want their characters dying being assaulted in various threads because players can invade whenever they'd like.  While it lessens the chance of it actually happening, I can name a few people who would leave the site if players had permission to jump in and attack, with the chance of their character dying.

The second one is that even if they can only stun/paralyze once, if they paralyze or stun them before the other can do anything, they can't defend themselves.  While we could change this so that players can only stun/paralyze a post after the defending player does something, I really like the rp combat and this is why:

This is indeed a role playing site, and while the roller and numbers do exist since this is like SAO (which we do wish for this site to be as cannon as possible while being fair at the same time), this is a site to create stories, and not kill other players for fun.  That's why I like the invasion rules as it is.  With needing OOC permission to kill the players, invading becomes something strictly for creating a story.  It adds options for role play, and opens possibilities for character development.  You can make invasion threads go however way you'd like in a rp combat mode, but using the rollers for the combat removes your ability to control what happens.  It may make the defending player appear pathetically weak despite their level (or vice versa) and that player may feel discouraged OOC, or upset and walk away.  While we want to make this site cannon, we also want to keep it as a role playing forum, and make it fun for everyone. 

While you say that you wish to make this site cannon and keeping it as a RP community, as far as I'm concerned I'm bringing up legitimate solutions. The only opinion you have given so far is that it's because "Players don't wanna die." That's not a fair reasoning, while it may be true, even in CANNON players didn't want to die. In fact I believe I'm being more than fair by offering an alternative to make it so there is methods to avoid being invaded. I get it, nobody wants to lose progress-- However, in SAO players died with no regards to their fears. I believe that I can help develop this system to make it as fair as possible for EVERYONE exactly like you want, but in order for that to happen we have to include PKers.

By removing the ability to kill anyone, we are then making it pointless for PKers to have their title. SAO is a real life simulation where you can die if you are killed. I'm not saying that we should allow everyone to die, hence I'm giving an option of avoiding invades by introducing this new Bodyguard profession. Also about the part where you mentioned that players shouldn't be able to be stunned while they are under the effect, that could be arranged. That or we could start the protection aura at 3 turns, and then as the bodyguard levels up the buff could become better, so at max rank Bodyguard, the buff could be extended to a full 5 turns as well as including better roll chances for players to escape, or even giving shields to soak damage up before it actually affects their health.

By saying that you don't want to include the dice, we also throwing out the system that we have worked so hard to develop. While I agree that leaving it up to the dice is a gamble, that's why the buff lasts for multiple turns, as well as providing players with dice modifiers that improve their chances at dodging the situation. I'm offering a way to allow many things to happen:

• We get a new profession called Bodyguard added, that can be used to form Protection Guilds.
  • We allow Player Killers and PK Guilds to organize attacks on a player as well as keeping it balanced so they aren't guaranteed to work on someone.
  • We also offer counter-play to being invaded giving the players being invaded breathing room to decide what their next action is going to be.

I really suggest that you read through this because aside from saying "Players don't wanna die and lose their belongings" isn't much of a solution to this. I'd rather work with information given and make a system better and easier to use for the public, and instead allow options for all players and playstyles to work.

@Itzal

Edited by Daeron

Not feeling too great, so my mind won't let me come up with a detailed response.

I like the idea, I do a alot.

The only things I am iffy about are the Cooldown and PT Token idea. Yes, both are good ideas, I just feel they could be a little tough to regulate. The cooldown may not be that tough, especially if the player has to log the cooldown themselves. However, rewarding tokens may serve to be a bit tougher. 

All other ideas about the actual mechanics, I love. 

I might as well give my two cents about it after the dust has settled from my behavior. I am simply not for Thread Invasions for a couple of reasons:

1. It forces people to change their stories on the fly when they just want to write a story, and with some stories especially when it comes to romance stories its rather annoying to have someone come in and beat the living hell out of someone or just be there to annoy you. Yes, limiting rewards is a price to pay but bothering a persons story is another.
  2. We shouldn't encourage people to come into threads to annoy another person, to me people would abuse this sort of thing and do it 24/7 in my opinion because they're bored.
  3. Lastly, whats the point of having the SP and PP tag if other people can just invade.

The only thing that can make me for this is if we include a PT tag and that tag alone, I dont want to spend tokens I dont want to hire a body guard. I just want to forge my stories and have them not interrupted.

I have to add my opinion on it I guess.

I believe the idea itself would be cool, but I am only on the side of it if we have one slight change to the entire thing. 

• Remove the system of these stupid little tokens. If I am going through an important questline or character development stage, I will be damned If I get interrupted by some other player just trying to be an ahole. Instead, I advise we make it so that any thread without a PT tag can be invaded. This way, important quests that must be taken solo, important adds to storyline and anything that players could want specific in a thread aren't screwed up. 
  • Also, ensure that if we have a cool-down phase, make sure they are 3 FINISHED thread. 

@Aereth

Honestly, @Daeron has already mirrored a lot of the sentiments I expressed in the last thread, so I don't really feel that I would need to rehash that. But I do want to go on record as saying that I pretty much agree with the idea that SAO, as a canon entity, was a social experiment created by a madman, and rooted in fear.

Now, in terms of this invasion idea, to keep to the proper point of this thread, I love the idea. I agree that it needs to be regulated somehow. I'm not completely against the token idea, but it's clear that some people are, so I'd like to offer some alternatives:

• Threads based in safe zones are always protected. The vast majority of story based threads happen in safe zones. Your romance, your character development, your incredibly important friendship or guild moments, boss/raid/quest planning. These all tend to happen in safe zones. So I propose that a thread always be PT if in a safe zone, no tokens necessary. And then if you want things like protected quests or romance on a nice beach or something, you can save your tokens for those special, not safe zone, moments.
  • Invasions should be tied to skills. I do like the idea of where Daeron is going with the bodyguard thing. But if we're going to be making skills to protect against invasions, why not base invasions on skills as well? Do you want to actively hunt someone down? Well, you need tracking to properly interrupt a thread and hunt someone. Do you want to stalk someone from a distance or catch them unawares? You need stealth to properly do this. Make things like tracking and stealth a requirement for invasions, and this creates a few benefits:
    1. If someone has to have a skill to invade, they won't be a random newbie. Especially if you lock invasions behind a high rank mod. K1r1t0 can't jump into your thread until he's level 10 due to skill requirements, and so he either isn't as bad as everyone thinks or he got bored and probably left before that point, realizing that being an edgelord won't get him any finished threads, and thus enough SP to get the skills.
    2. It creates more drama than just, "I walk out into the field where you are talking because I feel like it." Your character has instead been tracking or stealthing to achieve their goals. This sets up a better story than just a random interruption.
    3. In the case of tracking specifically, it means your character has a purpose in doing so, and has met and actively interacted with your character before. The rules of tracking being what they are means that you won't have Joe Blow interrupting and you have no idea who each other is. You'll have actively interacted somewhere before and thus created a basic story and character interaction.
  • Create PVP centric content. Sure, duels exist. But if you want to have players at each other's throats, give them reasons to kill each other. And they don't have to be inherently PVP based, like battlegrounds, but think of the reward for the Christmas event in SAO. That item that could bring people back to life, and until Kirito ran in and took it all for himself it created a lot of PVP based incentives, with multiple guilds fighting to take the prize. Give players something to fight for that might alleviate the idea of players interrupting each other's stories, and instead has a story based on pitting players (even unintentionally) against each other for specific reasons.
    • And for the sake of argument, these can be augmented with RP combat, so that way people don't actually have to die. Staff just has to make sure they mediate these types of situations, perhaps by awarding the best, and most fair, writers with the prize, provided players themselves can't come to a reasonable story conclusion on their own.

And look, I want to say one thing, especially about the idea of RP combat. There are some bad RPers out there. There are godmodders and meta gamers and just... it can be the worst sometimes. But we can't let bad apples ruin the bunch. I think that these ideas are solid concepts that staff is using to innovate and meet good middle grounds. We have to trust that the people we see most active on this site are capable players, writers, and can be fair and adaptable. And if we ruin that, then I'll be the first to cry that there should be more changes. But without change, we're never going to know which side the grass is actually greener on. So I think ideas like this are a good test of how fun this game can really be, and from more of a writer standpoint than just focusing on the numbers game.

If done properly, invasions can be yet another tool to writing interesting, dramatic stories that we might otherwise ignore because we're too afraid to break out of our own shells or write outside the box. And like every tool, it might need sharpening or refinement, but just because you found it rusty doesn't mean it's not ever going to be worth it without a little polish.

So i figuted i might as well poke my head into this

So i'm with @Vigilon and @Itzal in that i think, while the invasion thread it a cool idea and could lead to some interesting character interactions, the idea that anyone could just enter your thread and PK you is really offputting. Now, i do understand and acknowledge that the fear within SAO was that death was everywhere, from Pkers to mobs, so the inclusion on pker invasion is to reinforce this idea. 

However, and this is purely my opinion, i feel its something something too risky. At the end, his is a Role playing text game, and to put so much effort into a character only to have them killed off by someone else, for their character development isn't something anyone enjoys. You put endless hours into the characters personality, appearance, social life only to have it all stopped by someone else. Their character continues, while you're forced to start from scratch. If one of my characters was killed like this, i'd probably just leave the site purely out of frustration that i spent so much time only for someone elses 'fun' to take it away. I understand it takes away from the source, but at the end of the day, it's a text based website and doesn't have to mimic the anime in every aspect. 

@Daeronand I have talked on the Discord for some time and he has set up another thread where he promotes all of his ideas regarding the whole PKing issue (where the hotfix is about to drop in a matter of hours, days, years...) as well as his ideas how to cooperate "free PKing" with the thread invasion idea. I strongly reccomend to check the thread out and give your opinions on that matter. After I'm done with that post I will also share my thoughts on his ideas. 
So have a LINK to his thread and be sure to check it out!

@Endilix Thanks for the great input on the matter! 

• Threads based in safe zones are always protected. 
    • Self explaining and I love it. 
    • Earlier today I was also talking to him on Discord and he showed me an amazing game concept that I thought I have to share here. 
      He took a lot of his ideas from the game EVE Online and the idea of Emergent Gameplay. That basically means, that if you want a living, breathing world, you want to create content that has borders, but otherwise allows players to create their own challenges within a reasonable frame. EVE Online does this by having the most rare things out in dangerous space, but allowing players to play the entire game locked away in a safe zone.
      So maybe we could even extend that protected zone from just safe zones on every floor to a general invasion prohibition on floors 1-5 + all other normal safe zones on all floors.
  • Invasions should be tied to skills.
    • I also like that idea very very much. Gives stealth more usability besides being all edgy and stuff. Tracking mod would finally become somewhat useful. I like I like.
  • Create PVP centric content.
    • Oooooh baby, how right you are. But worry not. As soon as this thread invasion thing is either out and released, or ditched and forgotten I will get to that. I have already talked to some players about that and I want to present it to you guys as fast as possible. (AFTER this thread is done. xD)

@Eatos It seems like you somehow missed the point. This thread is just about the topic of thread invasions WITHOUT actual player killing. The last topic I set up in this section was about the PKing issue on 2.5, and we came to the conclusion that we should never allow players to kill other players without their consent. This hotfix will go out as soon as I get green light from the GM's (They need to check wording, grammar etc.)

@Vigilon, @Jomei and @Morgenstern 

About cooldown and tokens:
Yeah, of course it adds some work to the players as well as the Player Support team, but I feel like the mechanic with the tokens would be the easiest thing to track tbh. If somebody wants to invade, they need to take care everything is correct and they have 3 (or god knows how many, the 3 I wrote was just a suggestion) FINISHED threads that took place AFTER their last invasion. (these threads would of course have to be tagged as such threads in order to keep track of them.) But then its easy to check because time stamps on threads never lie.

Otherwise I could suggest something like this:

• Players once again have full control over their RPs and can state in their journal/profile if they are open for thread invasions.

Just saying that this takes away the purpose of the whole mechanic, since players could do that right now even without that patch. xD

And last but not least, @Macradon and @Ruby

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about why you don't like that idea. You guys have some strong arguments, but thats what those Protection Tokens would be there for. You can protect your really important threads as much as you like (we can even talk about getting 1 Token every 2 threads). And if we add the ideas of @Endilix with using actual skills and the tracking/sneaking skill I'm really thinking that we can use this mechanic in a way to improve the RP experience on the site. 

Additionally to that: If we implement the mechanic and it gets obvious that it doesn't work and that players hate it, we can still push out a hotfix to get back to old rules. (That totally is not happening right now with the 2.5.1 hotfix for 'free PK's for everybody' rule. xD)

And to close that part of my reply: 
I don't want to think that all invaders will do that just to annoy or bother anybody. I do want to put my trust into the community and say that they will use the mechanic to ENHANCE the RP experience and not to destroy it. And if I'm proven wrong, *insert stuff from a couple of lines above* We can still kill the mechanic off if it doesn't work out. 

Soooooooo. Now that I've replied to all of you guys and gals (Don't worry I'll get to your thread @Daeron) I wanna present you with a couple of choices on how to continue with the development of that idea:

• Do you guys want me to flesh out the idea with the tokens
  • Do you want me to ditch tokens and start working on:
  • Or do you want me to throw the idea away. (Don't think that's gonna happen with 11 Yes and 5 No votes, but still. xD)

Be sure to let me know, AND be sure to check out Dareon's thread with his ideas. Until that, see ya next time. xD

6 minutes ago, Aereth said:

@Daeronand I have talked on the Discord for some time and he has set up another thread where he promotes all of his ideas regarding the whole PKing issue (where the hotfix is about to drop in a matter of hours, days, years...) as well as his ideas how to cooperate "free PKing" with the thread invasion idea. I strongly reccomend to check the thread out and give your opinions on that matter. After I'm done with that post I will also share my thoughts on his ideas. 
So have a LINK to his thread and be sure to check it out!

@Endilix Thanks for the great input on the matter! 

• Threads based in safe zones are always protected. 
    • Self explaining and I love it. 
    • Earlier today I was also talking to him on Discord and he showed me an amazing game concept that I thought I have to share here. 
      He took a lot of his ideas from the game EVE Online and the idea of Emergent Gameplay. That basically means, that if you want a living, breathing world, you want to create content that has borders, but otherwise allows players to create their own challenges within a reasonable frame. EVE Online does this by having the most rare things out in dangerous space, but allowing players to play the entire game locked away in a safe zone.
      So maybe we could even extend that protected zone from just safe zones on every floor to a general invasion prohibition on floors 1-5 + all other normal safe zones on all floors.
  • Invasions should be tied to skills.
    • I also like that idea very very much. Gives stealth more usability besides being all edgy and stuff. Tracking mod would finally become somewhat useful. I like I like.
  • Create PVP centric content.
    • Oooooh baby, how right you are. But worry not. As soon as this thread invasion thing is either out and released, or ditched and forgotten I will get to that. I have already talked to some players about that and I want to present it to you guys as fast as possible. (AFTER this thread is done. xD)

@Eatos It seems like you somehow missed the point. This thread is just about the topic of thread invasions WITHOUT actual player killing. The last topic I set up in this section was about the PKing issue on 2.5, and we came to the conclusion that we should never allow players to kill other players without their consent. This hotfix will go out as soon as I get green light from the GM's (They need to check wording, grammar etc.)

@Vigilon, @Jomei and @Morgenstern 

About cooldown and tokens:
Yeah, of course it adds some work to the players as well as the Player Support team, but I feel like the mechanic with the tokens would be the easiest thing to track tbh. If somebody wants to invade, they need to take care everything is correct and they have 3 (or god knows how many, the 3 I wrote was just a suggestion) FINISHED threads that took place AFTER their last invasion. (these threads would of course have to be tagged as such threads in order to keep track of them.) But then its easy to check because time stamps on threads never lie.

Otherwise I could suggest something like this:

• Players once again have full control over their RPs and can state in their journal/profile if they are open for thread invasions.

Just saying that this takes away the purpose of the whole mechanic, since players could do that right now even without that patch. xD

And last but not least, @Macradon and @Ruby

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about why you don't like that idea. You guys have some strong arguments, but thats what those Protection Tokens would be there for. You can protect your really important threads as much as you like (we can even talk about getting 1 Token every 2 threads). And if we add the ideas of @Endilix with using actual skills and the tracking/sneaking skill I'm really thinking that we can use this mechanic in a way to improve the RP experience on the site. 

Additionally to that: If we implement the mechanic and it gets obvious that it doesn't work and that players hate it, we can still push out a hotfix to get back to old rules. (That totally is not happening right now with the 2.5.1 hotfix for 'free PK's for everybody' rule. xD)

And to close that part of my reply: 
I don't want to think that all invaders will do that just to annoy or bother anybody. I do want to put my trust into the community and say that they will use the mechanic to ENHANCE the RP experience and not to destroy it. And if I'm proven wrong, *insert stuff from a couple of lines above* We can still kill the mechanic off if it doesn't work out. 

Soooooooo. Now that I've replied to all of you guys and gals (Don't worry I'll get to your thread @Daeron) I wanna present you with a couple of choices on how to continue with the development of that idea:

• Do you guys want me to flesh out the idea with the tokens
  • Do you want me to ditch tokens and start working on:
  • Or do you want me to throw the idea away. (Don't think that's gonna happen with 11 Yes and 5 No votes, but still. xD)

Be sure to let me know, AND be sure to check out Dareon's thread with his ideas. Until that, see ya next time. xD

No that is NOT as much as you like, if it truly was as much as you like then we wouldn't need a token system anyways. I am strong for my stance on this, its have the tag be free or I simply I am just not for it.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, Ruby said:

No that is NOT as much as you like, if it truly was as much as you like then we wouldn't need a token system anyways. I am strong for my stance on this, its have the tag be free or I simply I am just not for it.

^ That :v