[F1-PP} <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> Mina/Stryder

Word has it that a small village located northwest of <<Town of Beginnings>> offers a quest with an insane weapon for players at this level. Wandering through the streets of the city and talking to NPCs and players who were currently there, she gathered information on this quest herself, which was titled <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>. Sadly, nobody knew what the quest was about or what the weapon was. Was it myth or fact? Well, the only way to know was to actually travel to the village, <<Horunka>> itself.

She had never traveled there before, the furthest only going towards the herb bushes a few kilometres away from the woods. For a Level 1 player like her, the village was actually too far out, and with nobody to rely on at this point in time, the risk was a huge once, especially when dying in this game meant that she'll die in the real world as well. But if she didn't try, if players didn't try and kept living from day to day in <<Town of Beginnings>>, then there was no point in living life here in Aincrad. The frontliners were already working hard, and she had hoped to join in the ranks as well. 

Going towards the plaza, she switched out from her vanity dress into her combat armor, her one handed sword handing over her shoulder in a black scabbard. With black hair, black armor and a black sword, she looked a sight in the middle of this brightly colored town. Scanning her surroundings, her eyes caught sight of a man in a white hood, leaning against one of the buildings a few metres away from her, and who seemed to be looking straight in her direction. "Knew I'd get stares with my choice of color..." Shrugging, she moved towards the gates of the city, stepping out into the grasslands once more.

@Stryder

Edited by Mina

Sky groaned as he woke up, laying on the grass fields. He didn't care how dangerous it was, its the first floor. No PK'ers hang around here, and anyone who did wasn't going to attack him, someone without any worthwhile loot to take, there would be no point.... Well..... except for one item. He had gotten it at the Halloween party, Accursed Souls... His cursed gloves that seemed to, absorb the power of whatever he killed. They just went into his glove, and slowly he could feel himself getting stronger, or maybe it was the gloves getting stronger... He had no idea.

As he sat up, he noticed a girl, sort of walking out from the town of beginnings and heading into the grasslands. She looked... Well, quite new. Her sword looked cool, and the armor he recognized, sort of something that Hei would make.... He wondered about it, before shrugging and leaping himself up, deciding to talk to her, if she would allow him to. He ran up to her, pulling his hoodie off his face and making sure his necklace wasn't twisted.

"Hello!" He called out, smiling. He made sure he didn't go to close, as not to make her worry about him being a player killer, he had no idea what level she was, but he hadn't seen her before. "Mind if i walk with you?" He asks, hoping to start a friendly conversation.

Mina brandished her sword, walking no more than a few meters before she felt a presence inching towards her. Instinctively, she raised her guard, holding the blade towards the intruder whom she realized was the male with the white hood, looking at her before. Being a distance away from her, and greeting Mina with a smile, she realized that this man wasn’t out to harm her at all, or was he. PK’ers were scary, and a low level like her could be easily one-shotted if she wasn’t careful enough. For now, Mina put down her sword, apologizing to the male. “Sorry, I was just being cautious. Hope you’re not offended or anything. And yeah sure, I don’t mind.”

Walking forward but with a distance between them, Mina looked around to see if she was on the right track. Things were getting a little awkward, she wasn’t good with company around, but in a death game like this, she had to try socializing at some point in time in order to build up connections and friendships to survive. “Hey,” she turned towards the male, “I’m Mina.”

@Stryder

Edited by Mina

Sky didn't flinch when her sword swung out, and she looked like she wanted to kill him, though he could already tell by her jumpy reactions that she wasn't a pker... And he wasn't either, he had kept his distance and showed that he wasn't planning on attacking her. He didn't have any weapons on him... That were obvious. He was a martial artist, thus he didn't need to have a sword, axe, spear or anything on him... Though he did.  When she said that she was being cautious and that he could walk with her, he smiled, but noticed her keeping her distance. He didn't try and close it... Yet. He simply sighed, smiling as they walked, until she introduced herself, which only took a minute or two. At this point, he walked a little closer, moving within striking range should she want to.

"The name's Stryder, don't worry about being cautious, im not offended. This game is life and death, though i can assure you i'm not on the death side of it" He said, smiling to her. He didn't know what else to say, but.... Well, she didn't know he was a guild leader... And he wanted to keep it that way, the longer she didn't know the more normal he could act.

"I guess. If you were on the death side of it, I'd be dead in an instant." Mina chuckled lightly, knowing very well that it was true. MMORPG's are based on a unfair system, the higher the level you are, the better the chance of surviving you have. In this world, numbers were invincible. Heck, a max level player could take a damage from a dragon and not have his/her HP decrease if the battle healing skill level is high enough. In order to survive and clear the game, you have to level up and be that kind of player.

Looking at the male, who seemed to be lost in his thoughts, she wondered what level he was. He looked strong, and maybe he'll know of the quest that she was about to take. "Hey Stryder, do you happen to know of this quest called <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>? "

@Stryder

He also laughed lightly at her joke, mainly because he knew it was true... Which honestly scared him. It scared him how easy it would be for ANY player to just show up and kill another, without hesitation, without care... Without hassle. It would be way to simple, and the only issue would be the orange cursor. He sighed, wishing it was harder, but the only way to not have that issue was to either group up with an ally, or just level up yourself and become stronger.... Other then that, you had no real defence.

He didn't say much else, lost in his own thoughts until he heard her say his name, which he snapped to attention, looking over at her, and listening as she asked about a quest... One he had done AGES ago called Secret Medicine of the forest. He did know it, though not a heap.

"I know a little bit of it, iv done it once. When i had done it, i had recieved the quest from some guy in an appartment, but i think you can accept it at taverns" He said to her, thinking. She might already have the quest... But he really had no idea. "I'm guessing your not a high level, if your still up to doing this quest, which is nothing to be ashamed of, we all were there once" He said, really hoping he didn't say anything that might offend her.

"From what i can remember, you need to go fight some Nepents, essentially man eating plants. I remember fighting six of them... Though i did this quest with two others, so i have no real idea. The last one was dangerous though...He told her, listing the events that had happened when he had undertaken this quest, his voice going from cheery to a little more serious. He didn't know her gear or level... And this quest could be dangerous for the unprepared. 

@Mina

"Yeah, I'm only level 3, which is pretty low. Exactly why I was cautious when you came over. If I were to die, at least I'd die fighting." Hah, such big words. Everyone was afraid of death, even Mina, but you had to overlook that fear in order to survive here. Murder was simple here, there were no consequences, and if they indeed made it out alive, who was going to find out the cause of death of the thousands of players here? Already a few thousand died, and she was certain there'll be more deaths in future.

"Really? From what I know, I need to travel to this <Horunka> place, which is what I'm doing now. Maybe they changed the quest line for it to be undertaken anywhere." Mina sighed. They were halfway there now, and if she had known, she'll probably be fighting the Nepents the male was talking about. Man-eating plants. Yuck. Judging from his tone, the Nepents were not to be messed with. 

@Stryder

He was honestly impressed by her words, she was strong... A lot like him. Not in game, obviously, but in mentality. She wasn't afraid to fight, she didn't want to die a coward.... He respected that, a lot! It was something he honestly missed seeing in general. His guild were a little like that... But since Atzo, he had never met anyone who was like him. He was glad he had found another...

"Huh.... Well it was awhile ago, i might be remembering it wrong..." He said, scratching his head with a thoughtful process as he smiled cheefully. He wasn't upset, at all, he was so glad! He had finally met someone else that wanted to fight! Not stay back and let others do the work. He had no idea what her intentions were.

"I'm level twenty seven, so i'm not as high as the frontliners, but i'm getting there!... Hey, would you be opposed to me helping you out on this quest?" He asked, wondering if she would let him. He wanted to learn more about her goals... And who knows, he might even be lucky enough as to make a new friend!

@Mina

“Maybe. Since we’re on the way already, might as well make the trip there. It’s good to see new places. For me at least.” Smiling at him, she kept in pace with the male, who seemed interested in helping her out with the quest. And yes, he was indeed interested. Why would a level 27 player help her out though? There wasn’t any benefits in helping a low level player at all. Or did he have any intentions in mind? Mina thought for a brief moment, but decided that there was no harm to it. If he wanted to kill her, he’d probably done it at the start of everything. Accepting his request, she scrolled on the window, sending a party invite to him.

“You’ll get there soon! And I will, too. Let’s both participate in boss raids next time,” Mina spoke cheerfully, the fire in her burning up. She was determined to get there, no matter how long it took her. For now, she’ll start with these low level quests in order to level up. Looking into the distance, she could see the path leading into a dense forest, which meant that they were nearing the village. Waving towards Stryder, “Come on!” she quickened her pace, also making sure that he was doing the same.

@Stryder

Sky was glad that she accepted his help, which did two things for him. One, he could meet someone else that he felt like he could become friend with, and he now had something to do with his day... Other then hunt monsters. He happily accepted the invite, thinking that he might have just made a mistake.... But it was to late, the moment he had hit that accept button, his icon, name, health, level, all of it appeared underneith her health bar, including the symbol for his guild... He didn't say anything, or acknowledge it, hoping she wouldn't ask. He wanted to get treated like a normal person... And he had no idea if she was one of those people who would act different to someone in a guild, let alone a guild leader.

"Sounds like a plan, Mina! We will both get there, and when we do, we will be the stars!" He yells enthusiastically, pumping a first into the air, his eyes lighting up with determination. He wanted to get there and save all those he cared about. He saw a dense forest in the distance, meaning... They might be near the village! His smile grows widely as she quickens her pace, speeding up and calling to him. 

"Right behind you future frontline extraordinaire!" He calls, quickening his pace to match hers, going into a light jog.

@Mina

“That is right!” she shouted in reply to him, determined to achieve her goal. As they made their way into the forest, the bright sunlight dimmed as it was shrouded by the large trees overhead them, and the shrubbery slowly getting thicker and harder to walk in. She kept her guard up, unsure if there were going to be any monsters popping out. Looking at the visual field in front of her, she saw a guild symbol right beside Stryder’s name. He must be really strong. Following the path, they soon reached a small village in the middle of the forest, of no more than 10 buildings in the area. There was a two storey building down the street that stood out, which gave Mina the hunch that the quest giver might be in that very building herself. Leisurely strolling towards the building, she asked Stryder something which she had been curious about ever since she saw it. “So… how’s your guild like?”

@Stryder

Sky cried a little on the inside when she asked about his guild... He didn't really want to talk about that, SO worried she would take it the wrong way, like he was someone who was better then anyone else. His level might suggest  that to people lower, but as a person, he was the exact same as this girl, determined and alive. He wondered about how to respond... Wondering if he should be honest, or if he should lie... If he was honest, he might gain her trust, if he lied and she found out, it could destroy him... AND his guild. He groaned a little internally, giving her a wide smile as he decided to tell the truth, hoping that she wouldn't think he was doing this just because of his guilds code...

"So you noticed that? I'm the leader of a guild called The Guardians of The New Dawn, a guild made to gather players for the frontlines, and to help anyone who needs it, whether that be a low level player wanting a friend, or a high level player needing a companion. Were not that strong, but iv made good friends in it" He told her, keeping his tone very casual. He didn't want to seem to formal, he HATED being formal, even in front of his guild! It was complete garbage, and just wasn't who he was.

"The frontlines isn't a dream, its a future" He adds, smiling. The forest around them was shrouding the last bit of light, Sky, not having the night vision perk yet unable to see perfectly, but he wasn't debilitated. He didn't really put his guard up, more just consistently scanning around the area, before they reached a small village. It was her quest, he wasn't planning on taking oer or intervening unless he had to.

@Mina

"The Guardians of The New Dawn huh... What a grand name! The New Dawn must be a reference to the real world we'll see after the game is cleared, right?" Mina smiled at him, amazed at this guy's strength and determination in this world of despair. To gather players for frontlines when everybody is afraid of dying, to dare to dream of a tomorrow when they'll all be logged out; Mina couldn't have met someone as similar as herself until he came along. "You're cool, man." Punching him lightly on his shoulder, she chuckled, continuing, "That is right! The frontlines is the future, I'll make it out, we'll make it out, and the future begins now. It's the start of the journey to the hundredth floor!" Pumping her fist in the air, she cheered softly, making her way to the two storey building in the midst of the diminishing light.

Rapping on the door, they were both greeted by a missus, looking weary and tired. She offered them glass of water, beckoning them to come in and have a seat, also adding that she didn't have any food for them at the moment. The smell of medicine wafted through the air, and there were coughs coming from the locked door on the other side of the room. Something must be wrong here. "Is somebody sick?" Mina asked carefully, activating the scripted dialogue of the NPC, where she stated that her daughter was severely ill, and that she had tried every medicine from the marketplace, but to no avail. The only way to cure her was to brew a medicine with <Little Nepent's Ovule> from the predatory plants, Nepents, on the west side of the forest. But it was dangerous, and she had no way of doing so. "We'll help you out." Mina accepted the quest in an instant, also asking if they could stay for the night, and that they'll set off when dawn strikes. The NPC nodded her head, agreeing to their request, and proceeded to bring them to the room upstairs.

@Stryder

He was dumbfounded, she actually understood the name! That was a near perfect analysis of it, but there was still one tiny thing she missed out. He smiled at her, so... well, dumbfounded by her. The only part about that, was it wasn't about the real world... Not mainly. It was about just, well, living to see the new dawn! A lot of people needed a reason to actually fight, to survive, to do something. His was simple, live to see another day, live so those who you are close to can live to see the new day with you. That was what he wanted... Though he was quite happy with her analysis of it, if that's how she saw it, it was great!

He grinned with the punch, taking it as having made a new friend, one who he hopefully could keep for a long time. When she cheered about the frontline, he pumped his fist into the air, shouting as loud as he could 'HEAR THAT AINCRAD! WERE COMIN FOR YA!' 

Before long, they ended up at a door, in which they were greeted by a female, who... didn't look like she had a pleasant night. With the beckon, they went in, Sky gladly accepting the water, thanking the woman kindly. He listened to Mina, asking about the sickness. He didn't remember doing this, but then again... A few things have changed since then. He listened to the NPC, talking about her daughter being ill and that they needed a special medicine.

Dammit... I have such a soft spot for these quests...

Thankfully, Mina seemed interested to, having immidiately hit accept, the quest popping up for both of them. That meant that he now had a quest with her, an objective. Time to see how she handles herself, and how this quest is going to go. 

"Were glad to assist Madam, thank you for your hospiality. Don't worry, tomorrow we will get the medicine for your daughter" He says to the girl, smiling before adding "The New Dawn guarantee's it" And following it, heads up stairs with them. 

Once up stairs, the hallway splits off into three seperate rooms, in one the daughter could be seen, laying on a bed. She looked very pale, and faint, like she hadn't eaten in weeks. The bedside was covered in flowers. Another room was a storage room, holding a bunch of clothes and other belongings, and the last was the bedroom. He didn't know Mina very well... And he had a feeling it would be awkward with them sleeping in the same room, so he decided to offer her to have it.

"Hey Mina, do you want the room?"

Mina first caught sight of the sick daughter, looking very pale and faint, and Mina couldn't help but to feel sorry for her. Her heart ached at the whole situation, the mum wanting to cure her daughter but couldn't do so as she wasn't strong enough to obtain the medicine on her own. Mina swore to herself that she'll defeat all the Nepents lying around to cure the daughter, even if she died trying. Not even an NPC deserves suffering like this.

Moving onto the next room, it seemed like a storage room with a bunch of clothes and other stuff lying inside, and the the last room was the guest bedroom itself. Just as she was about to enter, she realized that she had to share the room with Stryder, and it made her cheeks turn a little red. She didn't know him for long, and it would have been really awkward if they had to share the room, but he spoke up before anything could happen to them. The male was probably thinking the same thing as her too. "Y-Yeah.. I'll take the room. What about you?" The bedroom was a really simple one, and Mina thought of giving him the pillow so that he could at least get a good night's sleep.

@Stryder

Sky thought for a moment, wondering wht he would do. Hell, he was honestly happy to grab a blanket and sleep on the roof. Its not like he hadn't one it before, and he actually likked it. The peace, the stars.... He was gunna do that, it was fun and alright... Besides he had a joke he could make here, but he wasn't going to. It was already awkward that they had to decide who was going to sleep in the room. He rubbed the back of his head, smiling as he spoke.

"I'l just steal a blanket and sleep on the roof. Its a quiet night, and i might get lucky and see the star's" He says with a smile. Upon hearing that, the mother goes into the storage room and grabs a blanket, brinigng it out and handing it to Sky, giving him a thanks for agreeing to help he daughter. He smiled, looking at Mina, giving a wink before saying

"Next quest we go on, i get the room" He says with a laugh before walking towards the window in Mina's room, opening it. 

Watching as the NPC mother head to the storage room to pass a blanket to Stryder, Mina wondered if NPCs were that intelligent. From what she knew, you had to say a keyword, or something related to a keyword, in order to activate it's scripted dialogue and such. But maybe this world was different, NPCs had backstories and were made highly advanced. Well, if the creator could develop the NerveGear and Sword Art Online into something so amazing like this, NPCs must be a really simple thing to make. 

Mina chuckled at Stryder's words, following him into the room, watching as he opened the window. "Well, you're indeed lucky!" The night sky outside were filled with stars, something they couldn't see in real life because of all the light pollution at night. It was breathtakingly beautiful. "Enjoy the night!" she spoke, before adding, "Come in if you need to. It's cold outside." As she slumped on the bed, her sword on the floor by her side, she scrolled through her menu, adding the male into her friend list. 

@Stryder

Sky nodded when she told him to come inside if he needed to... But he doubted he would. He had slept outside before... And this wasn't the fourth floor, where it is always winter. That is a cold floor, it is always bloody below twenty degree's... NEGATIVE twenty degree's, if not colder. He sighed, very silently, not letting Mina hear it. He turned back, facing her. At his point, he had climed out of the window, and was now more or less just handing by his hands on the window, ready to pull himself.

"Will do, but i don't think i will... The stars are beautiful tonight" He says, smiling. His expression showed freedom, if that was even possible. He was glad, he wasn't about to be pinned down to a single spot. He was going to be able to sleep out in the open... He knew how dangerous that could be for him, but... He was lucky. He would be fine. He lifted himself up, going onto the roof. When he got up there, he noticed a notification... a friend list invite. He smiled, accepting it, Mina appearing in his friends list. This was someone that he felt like he would be in contact with for a fair while.

Mina fumbled for a while before a notification on her visual field popped out. An accepted friend request from the male who's on the roof right now. She was glad to have made friends with him, someone with the same thoughts and determination to persevere through this current death game. He was a guild leader too. Someone who brings in people with the same mindset, defending and surviving to make it to the next day. A New Dawn? Perhaps that was what it meant. What a guy...  He had huge dreams, and Mina respected that. Wondering if he'll come into her room in the middle of the night, it was a cold night, her eyes started feel heavy, and she fell asleep not long after.

She woke up to the birds chattering and the insects buzzing. Taking a look at the clock, currently 6.30a.m, she forced herself off the bed, and equipped her combat equipment. Sleep wasn’t that much needed in this world, her real life body would have slept for weeks now. Peeking outside the window, she looked up and called. “Hey! You awake yet?” She had a quest to do, and she vowed to finish it by the end of the day.

@Stryder

Edited by Mina

(Sorry for this taking a few days, been a little sick and preoccupied)

Sky yawned loudly as he laid the blanket out, wrapping himself up in it like a sushi roll before looking at the stars. They were shinging brightly, just what he had been hopeful for. The sky was clear of clouds, the weather was nice and fresh, and it wasn't to cold. It was a perfect night. He smiled chearfully as he watched the stars, slowly falling asleep, going into his own world as he started to dream about what might happen in his life next. He had just met someone who was as close minded to him as anyone he had ever met, she seemed to have a spark, something that made him just believe she was unique, she wanted to help others... She had that spark to get out of here, to survive this game, a quality he didn't see as much as he would hope, not like he saw it in her.... As these thoughts raced through his head, he slowly drifted off, falling asleep.

When morning came however, Sky wasn't as easy as he had been at night. When the birds started chirping and the insects started buzzing, he simply ignored it, staying asleep. Even when Mina called out to him, he essentially just rolled over, knocking the sheets lose as he yawned more.

"No.... give me two more hours...." He calls out, subconsciously rolling again. He had always had an issue with Karma.... like what was about to happen next. He attempted to roll a bit more to get the blanket back around him, but managed to roll the wrong way, right off the roof! He didn't even realize until he slammed into the ground, yelping as he felt his body smack onto the hard, damp ground. 

Goddamn it... that's embarrassing...