[PP - F4] Hunting for Power (with Eatos)

Spoiler

<<The Essence of Steel>>

This quest takes place on Floor 4
This quest is repeatable

Word from Information Brokers speaks of a mysterious Beast Skull found in the far north of the Frozen wasteland of Floor 4. A small party reported having struck the skull with a nearby bone, waking a huge beast in a nearby cave. This monster, identified as <>, was easily equal in health and strength to a Floor Boss, and is said to yield an incredibly rare drop upon death that will allow a player to enhance a single item, improving it's quality by one level.

Requirements:
-At least two [2] Pages (21 or more posts)
- The Snow Beast must be defeated

Snow Beast Information:
<Snow Beast> is a Field Boss and has the following statistics:
HP: 250
Damage per Attack: 160

Special Ability: Partial Phase- Snow Beast will always deal a minimum of 24 damage, even through Armor and Armor Abilities.

Rewards:

1. Essence of Steel: an incredibly rare monster drop that allows a player to enhance a weapon, armor, or accessory and improve it's quality by one level. (Example, an Uncommon Weapon becomes a Rare Weapon.) Enhanced Gear is eligible for new Item Enhancements and must be approved through the Crafting Item Evaluation Topic.
    Note: This item CANNOT change a weapon's Tier. (Example, a Tier 1 weapon becomes a Tier 2).
  2. 1 Skill Point
Parties or Groups are encouraged, though only the player who takes this quest, and uses the Skull to awaken The Snow Beast will receive the <<Essence of Steel>> drop. That means ONLY ONE ESSENCE WILL DROP PER TOPIC.

Recommended Level: 25

(Updated for the September Update changes)

It had been over a week since Hei had crafted the bad version of Pinballs new armour and he hadn't been able to craft anything better then it till now. When he had talked to a few people from the guild, Stryder had told him, that there was a quest on the fourth floor, that would give him an item he could use to enhance the Item he had crafted. With this knowledge, Hei had been to the fourth floor and with a little bit of questioning and an evening in the tavern he had found out that the quest was out in the far frozen wasteland and that he had to fight some monster that was as strong as a field boss. He knew that he probably was able to kill it, as it still was just floor four and he had gained some strength over the last few month, but it always was a good idea to have a backup plan.

In the Guardians of the New Dawn there was Eatos, she was a talented blacksmith and she was a healer, so Hei opened the menu and sent a message to her:

Hi @Eatos, I was thinking about going on a quest on the fourth floor. I know that you live up there in the cold and so I wanted to ask you if you would like to come along. It'll be a long walk and some fighting, so feel free to bring your dog. I might require your abilities as a healer for the fight. Message me when you are ready, I'll come to your house.
Hei.

Eatos was in bed, sleeping, again. Angel, her larget Husky, was lying with her as she napped. It had been a long day for the blacksmith. She'd woken up and spent a few good hours out at Frostbite Lake today, mostly singing because she enjoyed it. After singing, and playing with Angel in the snow, she returned to take a nap, which she was currently doing. That was when she received the message from Hei. Grumping, the girl dragged herself up and read the message, not expecting it from Hei. If she was honest, she hadnt' interacted as much with him as perhaps she should have, even more since they were now all leaders within the guild. While indeed Stryder made the call to pick Hei, it had been her suggestion they have 3 leaders to impose some level of democracy. 

'Hey @Hei, i'd be happy to come along. My store should be unlocked, so just come around when it best suits you' 

With the message sent, Angel made an insistant howl and the girl sighed. "I know you lazy klutz, but we have a job to do. We'll get up when he arrives" 

Hei had been on his way back to the main settlement of the fourth floor, as he had ventured out to one of the smaller camps to gather information, when Eatos message arrived. He opened it, ready to quickly skim through it, but it was just a really short message, telling him that he could just come to her store and that she was ok with coming along. - I could be there in half an hour, but I was out in the cold for the last two hours, so i might just take a break at the tavern and grab something hot to drink before visiting her - he thought, while the snowflakes around him began becoming bigger and it was hard for him to actually see where he was going. In this moment Hei was really happy that he had obtained the survival skill, so the cold at least wouldn't kill him, but he still had to find his way back. After using his brains, Hei opened the map and used it to more or less good navigate back to the town and stumbled up to Eatos' door.  He knocked and entered, a flurry of snow blowing into the room with him. Shaking of the snow as well as possible, he looked for Eatos, and as he didn't see her, he just sat down in front of the fireplace to warm up a little. "Hey Eatos, I'm here." he said loudly, hoping that she might hear it.

The girl was at the back of her store, in the 'private' area that consisted of her 'home' within her store. It wasn't much, but it was hers. And she heard the door opening, the girl let out a groan. She didn't want to get up, but had no choice. Sitting up, she nudged Angel to move. the large husky let out a whine, but moved off the bed and went to see who was at the door. The large Husky barked once at Hei, before walking up to him, tail wagging and demanding attention from him. 

The girl exited the backroom barely a minute later, dressed in her usual get up. She smiled at Hei as Angel tried to force him to pet her. 

"Hey there, so what is this quest you're aiming for?" She didn't know too many quests on the 4th floor, other than Steel, but was that one that even interested Hei?

He had just sat down at the fireplace, when he heard a sound from the back of the shop, and before he could get up, the big husky that Eatos called her own appeared. Angel barked at him, and Hei jerked, but the dog wasn't interested in hurting him, but instead came to him, his tail wagging, and Hei couldn't resist to pet the fluffy animal. "Hello Angel, here you go" he said, while he petted the dog with his left and put a sausage out of his pocket with the right hand.
When Eatos walked in, Hei was still petting the dog, and smiled at her once he noticed that she was there.
"Hey Eatos, haven't seen you for quite some time, nice to see you. And the quest I am aiming for is something called the Essence of Steel. I need to get the rare drop, that the monster is said to leave behind to enhance an Item. I haven't been to lucky with crafting for the last few weeks and I still have to craft an armour for Pinball"

At being fed, Angel got more excited. The Husky actively leaped into Hei's lap and claimed it as her own. She lay down lazily, almost as if preparing for a nap. Like owner like pet. 

Eatos couldn't hide her smile seeing Angel being close with someone else, specifically resting in anothers lap. The dog was much like herself, and napping around those who made them feel comfortable. Angel felt comfortable around Hei, and she did too. She joined Hei on the couch as he explained the quest he wanted to do. She knew of the quest, Essence of Steel, it was used to upgrade items. For anyone who made items, it was an item that is powerful indeed.

"I see what you mean Hei. The drop the Snow Beast gives is very good, for items. I've fought it once before, it didn't last long before myself and Stryder" It was almost ironic. She needed the item to help Pinball, and now, here she was once again. Helping pinball once again. 

Hei wasn't a dog person, but the cuddly husky on his lap made him feel comfortable and so he cuddled and petted the dog, while he was sitting on front of the fireplace. Soon Eatos joined him on the couch and told him, that she had done the fight once before. She had teamed up with Stryder for this, and he knew how the fight must have been, as his fights on Stryders side always ended the same way. Martial arts seemed to be super powerful and Stryder lived for it. "That's good to know, so do you know, where we have to head for to find the monster? And I don't know if it will go down as quick as it had with Stryder, but it shouldn't be a problem after all. What concerns me way more is the weather outside, when I was on my way to your house, the snow and wind got stronger, just as if it was going to be a blizzard out there." When he thought of the cold and the stinging snow that felt like needles on his skin, he was happy to be in Eatos cosy house.

The girl nodded her head at the question. She did indeed recall where the quest occurred, but getting there would be a pain. The weather on this floor had been acting up of late, more storms and blizzards flowing in. It hadn't been making her life easy that was for certain. "It's in a cave a few minutes away from where we are now. The mob spawns alone, and it does have a few special kicks to it, overall, it's nothing too special" She could go into it, and how the Snow Beast always did 24 damage regardless of armour. But that was something Hei would learn on the move.

"As for getting there, we'll be fine. Angel's never lead me astray before, and even in a storm, her tracking is amazing. We'll make it to the cave..." She leaned out and pet her dog, rubbing its head a little "Well, whenever you're ready to get moving, just say when..."   

Hei was still enjoying the warmth of the fire and the cuddly dog on his lap, when Eatos told him, that the cave was just a few minutes away. - Well, if it is just this little away, the storm shouldn't be a problem. If she is ready to go, we can start. I don't know why she wont tell me what kind of extra kicks there are about the boss, but I will see and if it was dangerous, she would warn me -  he thought, but he still wasn't encouraged to leave the cosy warmth. Eatos then told him, that they wouldn't get lost as Angel had a perfect tracking skill, and so there really was no problem to get there.

After another fifteen minutes, Hei finally was ready to get back into the cold weather that was in control of the floor, so he petted Angel once more, before he carefully pushed her from his lap and stood up. "OK, I'm ready to go now" he told Eatos and let her and her dog take the lead. Following them, they quickly arrived at the cave Eatos had been talking about and Hei soon found the big skull and the bones that were scrambled around. Taking one of them and hitting the skull, a loud sound arose and with the sound, a giant snow monster came in, running from the depth of the cave. "This sure is a big monster!" he bellowed, while he already was running right at the big monster, his spear glowing in the bright pink of a fully charged Merciless Fury .  When he was close enough, Hei released the swordskill and the spear thrust forward multiple times, quickly hitting the beast all over its body. When the monster swung at Hei, he just ducked under it, and evaded its attack.

Spoiler

ID# 91287
Battle: 9 -> crit -> (9+1)*12 = 120 dmg -> 130/250 HP
Mob: 3 -> miss

--- Stats ---

Hei: 460/460 HP | 33/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 2
<Snow Beast>130/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT
Eatos: 

Edited by Hei

During the wait, Eatos spent most of her time playing with Angel. The large Husky adored her, sniffing and licking her a lot. It was a simple interaction for her. The Husky loved attention, adored it even. She was needy a lot of the time, yet, well, she had a stern side. Mostly when combat started, the Husky always shoving her out the way of damage. She loved the dog for it. Even without a player nearby, she had her familiar with her at all times. When Hei stood up, she knew it was time to get going. She double checked her inventory, she had her combat build set. Against the Snow Beast, she wouldn't need the additional energy regeneration. She had more than enough base.

The walk itself wasn't too much, not with Angel leading the way through the snow. She watched Hei start the fight, and drew her Curved Sword, Divines Sword. This was yet another battle, where she would not longer be hiding on the backline. She charged in, and landed a blow. But, more important than the damage, was the stun status effect applied onto the Beast. Now Hei could use the weapon she made for him, and wipe out out without a second thought. 

Stats

Spoiler

ID: 91444

BD: 6(+3)=9 <Hit, non-crit>

Sword Art: Fell Cresent <Stun> 2 EN. 5(1)=5 DMG

Hei: 460/460 HP | 33/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 2
<Snow Beast> 125/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT | Stunned 1/1
Eatos: 340/340 HP | 34/34 ENG | 5DMG | 3 EVA | 3 ACC | 9 MIT | Hate : 1

Edited by Eatos

After he had attacked the monster and ducked underneath it's swinging arm, he used the speed he had when running at it, to slide through the snow and make his way behind the beast. As there was a big mob between him and Eatos, Hei wasn't able to see what his teammate did, but as he knew her, she would probably get ready to heal him, just in case of him getting hit. Charging another Merciless Fury he ran towards the back of the snow beast, that was still moving towards Eatos. just when the pink glow reached its maximum, he heard the sound of a sword hitting ice, and the beast instantly stopped moving. A small icon below its HP bar showed him that it was stunned. -This has to be Eatos work - he thought, then he used the chance and released the swordskill, hitting the monster multiple times with quick attacks and finally dropping it into the red part of the HP bar. "Nicely done Eatos. One more attack and it is dead" he yelled, so his teammate could hear him.

Spoiler

ID# 91448
Battle: 6+3 = 9 (not critical) -> 9*12 = 108 DMG -> 17/250 HP
Mob: ignored because of stun

Hei: 460/460 HP | 21/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 3
<Snow Beast> 17/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT
Eatos: 340/340 HP | 30/34 ENG | 5DMG | 3 EVA | 3 ACC | 9 MIT | Hate : 1

Edited by Hei

The girl grinned as she spotted the stun that her last strike applied onto the Snow Beast. It would let Hei get in nice and close to land his next blow, and in theory, it would be the final killing blow. However, the girl was unaware that his first strike was a crit and his follow up would fail to kill it. A miscalulcation on her part. She had started putting her blade away, but hearing Hei call out to her, she turned around and spotted the beast in the red. She wouldn't kill it, but it would ensure Hei could kill it. 

She moved forwards, spinning her blade before ramming it through the chest of the Beast. However, this sword art did NOT have a stun, so Hei would possible get hit. But there was no possible way Hei would die in a single strike from the beast. This battle was already over, all Hei needed to do now was land the killing blow.

"He's all yours, end this"

Spoiler

ID: 91804

BD: 7 <Hit>

Sword Art: Rage Blow 4(2)=8

Hei: 460/460 HP | 21/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 3
<Snow Beast> 9/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT 
Eatos: 340/340 HP | 30/34 ENG | 5DMG | 3 EVA | 3 ACC | 9 MIT | Hate : 1

Edited by Eatos

When the monster dropped into the red, it started moving again and Hei jumped back a few meters while the monster began to turn around. Eatos, who was on the monsters other side used this to release a second attack against it, but her damage wasn't high enough to kill the nearly dead monster. Before the monster started her attack, she told him to end the fight and Hei was sure he knew hot to do it. He began running in a circle, hoping that the beast wouldn't be able to turn as quick as he could ran and began charging a lower level swordskill, that would be the beasts end. His plan seemed to work, as he slowly but steady was about to move into the monsters back. Just when he was about to release the swordskill the beast used a weapon Hei had not been aware of, as it whipped at him with a tail of ice it had hidden underneath the snow. The icicle crusted ball at the tails tip crushed into his body, sending him flying and doing quite a lot of damage, but he was still above 50% and before the monster had another chance to attack him, he charged the skill again and released it. The spear hit the monster three time, two quick stabs with the tip and a last blow with the butt of the spear, that made the snow beast shatter. "Oh, that was some good fight, I'm happy that there are no broken bones in this game" he said to Eatos, while he walked back to her. When he looked at the dissolving monster a pop-up appeared and told him, that he had found 750 col and <<The Essence Of Steel>>

Spoiler

ID# 91870
Battle: 6 +3 -> hit -> 3*9 -> 27 -> dead
Mob: 9 -> crit -> 161 dmg -> 299/460 HP

Loot Roll:
ID# 91871
Loot: 4 -> nothing
+3*250 = 750 col

Hei: 299/460 HP | 16/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 3
<Snow Beast> 0/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT dead
Eatos: 340/340 HP | 30/34 ENG | 5DMG | 3 EVA | 3 ACC | 9 MIT | Hate : 1

Edited by Hei

Her damage wasn't enough, it wasn't going to be while she didn't have any real points invested in Sword Skills. But, well, it was something? Better than usual, which was standing back and doing nothing while her allies fought. Hei wasn't injured, so she may as well assist with dealing some damage. However, even in the red, the Snow Beast had some fight left as it slammed into Hei and brutalised his HP bar. Even at her fastest, her reaction was too slow to use First Aid, healing Hei for 55 HP. While the fight was indeed over, it was nothing more than instinct to do it.

"Well, you're still alive so there is always that Hei. And you got that steel item you need to an upgrade no?" She knew he had it, but, well, it was rude to just say it. She was the 'polite' one is the guild, she had a role to play after all. 

Hei: 354/460 HP | 16/46 Energy | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 9 base dmg | Hate: 3
<Snow Beast> 0/250 HP | 160 dmg | Partial Phase -> min 24 dmg through MIT dead
Eatos: 340/340 HP | 28/34 ENG | 5DMG | 3 EVA | 3 ACC | 9 MIT | Hate : 1

The snow beasts last attack had been hard, and he was happy to have enough HP to survive something like that without actually getting close to the red region of his HP bar. He had just got back up, when Eatos arrived at him and used her first aid skill to heal him back up. "Thanks, and yes, I got the item I was looking for, so let's get back to your place" he said, while he shook his head once to get the stars from his vision and then he looked out of the cave. The blizzard had gotten stronger, so all he saw was a white wall closing the cave. He wasn't to sure about going outside now, but with his survival skill blocking any damage the cold could do and Angel being able to find the way back, it probably was better than waiting in this frozen cave. "I'll let you and Angel take the lead and just follow the two of you." he said and waited for Her to lead them back to the tow and the cosy warmth of her house.

While the use of first aid wasn't, by any means, required. Eatos felt like it was simply better to be cautious, there was no promise they wasn't other mobs hanging around in the snowstorm out there. She looked out at the snow, and wouldn't deny the fear the grew up inside the real world, blizzards happened where she lived and, well, you never, ever, wanted to get caught in them unprepared. However, in Sword Art, Blizzards did take HP away if you were unlucky, and it also was very good at making people get lost in their direction. 

"Alrighty, Angel, wanna go for a walk?" She knelt down in front of the dog, who barked once at her owner. Eatos couldn't not smile as she petted the dog, as well as fed her a quick snack. Angel, happy at being fed, looked out at the blizzard and whimpered. Eatos stroked the dogs head "I know Angel, but we'll be fine ok?" Standing up, the girl smiles at Hei as Angel starts to brave the storm "Lets get going eh? Can't fall behind in this weather Hei..."

Before they could leave the cave, Hei saw how Eatos petted her familiar and how she had to convince it to leave the safety of the cave to enter the terrible blizzard. Eatos just told him, that he couldn't fall behind in this weather, when she stepped into the snow and immediately disappeared from his vision. - God damn, this is some terrible storm, I should follow her, before she is gone to far away - he thought while he realized how urgent it was to stay with them. Entering the storm for himself he yelled "Like you said, I'll follow you" but he wasn't sure if Eatos was able to hear him, as the storm was extremely loud. Squinting to protect his eyes from the snow, that drummed at him like needles, he was hardly able to see Eatos, but her silhouette was like a shadow in the white somewhere in front of him, and he just fought his way through the snow, always following the shadow.

After what felt like eternity, he could see something besides the shadow, and before he realized what it was, he entered the shadow of Eatos house, covering him from the wind and snow and so he was able to see they had arrived. "Thanks god, I don't know how much longer I could have followed you through the storm" he said, while they were heading for the front door.

The walk back, Eatos stayed with Angel the entire way. The dog had a brilliant sense of direction, even within the blizzard the familiar knew the route her master wanted, and being the loyal dog, did her job. Escaping into the town, the girl didn't say a word as she opened the door and rushed inside, Angel right on her heels. 

Entering the house, Eatos turned the fire on and heat bloomed, the stone-store slowly heating up. The girl didn't mind the cold, but a blizzard was too far. She sat on the couch near the fire, and looked over at Hei. "If nothing else, Blizzards are the same as the real world. Back home, you wouldn't risk it or, well...There are some horror stories you'd really dont' want to hear" She said as Angel leapt up and took up the rest of the couch, focing Hei to sit on a different chair/couch as the dog rested her head in Eatos lap. The blacksmith smiled and rubbed the dogs head gently "Thank you Angel, we wouldn't have made it there, nor back, without you..."

Spoiling her pet with affection, she looked over at Hei "This is the worst i've ever seen the weather on this floor. It's a slight shame, i had intended to go out to the lake today for...well, reasons..." She didn't want to confess it, that, well, her singing. She loved it, and found the cold air suited her voice best. But, well, in her opinion, her singing was not something she was good at, just a passion "I guess i'll be staying indoors today eh?"

Once they had entered the house, Eatos had turned on the fire and Hei was so happy for the heat that began to fill the room, that he wasn't able to talk for a while.  The chill was deep within his bones and when Eatos had sat down and began to talk about how bad blizzards were, and that there were even horror stories about them, he couldn't do other than thank the gods for him returning. After some time, just standing in front of the fireplace, he took a chair and took it closer, so he could talk to Eatos and have a seat, as he had no space on the couch with Angel lying there. "Well, I thank you and Angel for this adventure today, I couldn't have done it without you too. Is there anything I can do to repay you?" and his thanks was real.

When she later told him, that the blizzards hadn't been so bad since she could remember, and that she had wanted to go outside today, but that she would stay inside now, Hei was wondering what it was she wasn't telling him. But he wouldn't ask her, as it seemed she didn't want him to know. "Now, that we are back in the warmth, what about Angel get another sausage I brought for her?" and he sent the food over to Eatos, as it seemed the dog would stay at her side, and he still wasn't gonna stand up.

Eatos had to keep a sly smile away from her face. Realisically, Hei could probably have solo'd the snow beast, but, she was simply an insurance to ensure that he survived the encounter, nothing more. The damage she dealt was, honestly, pathetically weak. But, that was the life of a support player...You help others deal the damage and keep them alive as they do. It was needed, and the safer of the two options. The blacksmith petted the Husky, who lazily barked. Eatos found it impossible not to smile "I'm just glad i was able to help out, and getting out of the house was honestly juts a nice experience. Being a blacksmith, well, i don't get out a ton. Hopefully it'll be better weather next time"

Eatos smiled as Hei sent over another snack for Angel. She brought it out for hte dog, who barked happily, her tail hitting the couch as she sits up attentive. Eatos smiled warmly as feeds the dog as she pets her "Thats, really nice of you Hei. It's nice to find someone who loves pets as much as i do. Angel is more than just my familiar, it's the one piece of the real world that i've got.."