{PP-F1} Let's Go Gathering! (Pinball, Thorsten)

It was eight in the morning, and all the noob players were leaving the Town of Beginnings looking for some sort of safe adventure. Pinball sat on a bench on the First Floor, slouching. He was bored. "Jesus," he groaned, opening his menu. He needed something to do today. He scrolled to the guild tab of his menu, and scrolled through the members. He had met up with almost everyone. The only ones left were Jade Eye, Crozeph, Thorsten, and Eatos. Closing his mind, he did eeny meeny miny moe. The teenager's finger landed on Thorsten, one of the three in charge of the guild. Opening his keyboard, Pinball quickly typed up his message. A faint woosh told the boy that his message had been sent. Pinball remembered Thorsten from the time he had spent with Spencer and him. "There's definitely going to be some sort of conflict, I think," he muttered to himself. The two's views differed greatly, and so Pinball was expecting the worst. However, it wouldn't do to break his own rules, and he was going to have to reach out to Thorsten just as much as he was going to have to reach out to Jade Eye, Crozeph, and Eatos. "I'll get to it whenever.

Spoiler

To: @Thorsten

Subject: Gathering 

Hey man, it's been a while. Just wondering if you were up to come gather some mats with me on the First Floor. Maybe I'll fish up a thing or two, just to spice things up. I don't know. You down? Lemme know, I'll be in the Town of Beginnings, just a little ways from the tele-pad.

Silver was sitting in a tree on floor 3 when he received the message. It was a brilliant opportunity for him to aquiore more information on his guildmate and thus he made his way to the transporter, a flash of blue light and he was on the first floor. As he stepped off the platform his mind wandered to the philosophy of those kinds of things. Spotting his companion he approached and gave a respectful bow. “Greetings, I look forward to joining you on this adventure.” He smiled at Pinball “have you ever wondered what happens when you step into the transporter? How can you be certain that the same you who walked onto it is who walked out? In fact, all breaks in consciousness like this pose the question of how consciousness works. How can you be certain that you do not walk into a suicide box as you get transported?” he shook his head “My apologies, I am rambling. Please, lead the way.”

@Pinball

Pinball stood when Thorsten arrived, and was about to offer his hand, when instead, the man bowed. Pinball, flustered and blushing, awkwardly returned the man's bow with nowhere near the same grace. "H-... Ayyy," was all he managed to say to the man. Thorsten greeted Pinball in return, and started talking about the same thing Pinball himself wondered everytime he pondered Sci-Fi related scenarios. "I know what you mean," he said, suddenly interested in the conversation, "but, I don't think we would have to worry so much about that here. After all, we're already hooked up to a suicide box. Right now, we're really just a bunch of 1's and 0's. However! I do believe you hold a valid point, and it's a question that would be asked if teleportation was ever actually invented..." He trailed off with his last word, as if he were finished, but then suddenly jumped back into it. "But that'd really be something to think about! Like, would teleportation have to kill the you that's standing there, just to transport your consciousness to another place where they reassemble your flesh and organs n' junk, and just slap your memories and being into that new body?" Pinball too, now, was rambling. Upon realizing this, he quickly shut his mouth. 

"Anyways, I think we have some gathering to do, yea? Let's hop to it."

Silver nodded and quickly made his way to the edge of the town. As they arrived Silver set a majority of his focus on material searching, however he ensured that he was still aware of what was around him. The last thing he needed was to be taken by surprise for any reason.
He thought to the almost uncharacteristic admiration for talking about the idea of consciousness that his companion had shown. “I wouldn’t say we are currently attached to a suicide box, if we are to die here I believe it would be more akin to murder than suicide. That said, regardless as to us being 1’s and 0’s, we are still conscious. It truly begs the question, are you your mind or your body? What is it that dictates who you are? Personally, I believe that we are our minds. I would still be me if you placed my mind in someone else, I would just be me in another person’s body. Though some would argue otherwise. What do you think of it, my friend?” 
Silver stumbled across a plant that gave the resemblance of being a bunch of carrots. “Look at that,” Silver said as he gave the carrots to Pinball, “We are already starting the day off with success! I hope the day continues to bid us well.”

ID# 91115

Spoiler

Loot Die 17+2(S&D) [+1 T1 Mat]

<<1 T1 Mat Found, Given to @Pinball>>

Edited by Thorsten

As they walked, Thorsten found a material. And handed it over to Pinball. He offered an awkward smile, and then stuttered, "Thanks, but uhh- you... you should probably keep some for yourself, no? We can always just split everything straight down the middle. It's what I usually do with others." I don't want to seem rude, Pinball thought anxiously. He thought on Thorsten's question. "I don't really see how you wouldn't be you, if that's the case. I'm more of the belief that, uhh... that you're your mind. I feel like if the brain controls everything you're doing, then your body is really just a vessel. Kinda like driving a submarine, or something." He shrugged. Back in the real world, he had heaps of free time, and he would spend most of it lost in daydreams. During such daydreams, he would think quite deeply on topics rather similar to the ones Thorsten was presenting to him now. 

Pinball looked to the floor, a clumsy attempt to find a material. He scored. He bent over and collected the material, putting it in his inventory. "That's one," Pinball said, standing straight, "well, two, if you count the one you gathered for me.

Gathering: 

Spoiler

ID# 91289

LD: 20 (Success!) 

1 T1 Material Gathered. 

Total T1 Mats: 2 

Edited by Pinball

Silver nodded at the notion of the body being a vessel. It was a interesting thought to go through the idea of philosophy. He agreed that the body was indeed a vessel, however he thought to the idea of consciousness. His mind wandered to the idea of the body, instead, being the self. “If you look at the mind being who you are, if you were to swap your mind with someone else and observe the process of emergence, how can you still say that your self is your mind and not your body? You evolved to operate in the way that you do based on your ancestors. Your mind adapts to the abilities of your body as you live. Your body stores some valuable processes in the spine and other nerves. Who is to say that when your mind is placed in someone else’s body you don’t adopt their personality? It is no different than a farming town being overtaken by industry. You still have workers; the city is still the same city even with a new method of day to day life. Would that really be so different than to exchange the mind?”
Silver looked around and found a small but very solid block of wood on the ground. “I guess I can keep a few for myself. I will take every other material I find. I am here for you after all. I have no quarrel with strengthen my wealth, however my goal is to strengthen yours.”

@Pinball

ID# 91363

Spoiler

LD 16+2=18 (+1 T1 Mat)

Gathered Mats

Thorsten 1 T1 Mat

Pinball 2 T1 Mats

Edited by Thorsten
  • 1 month later...

This guy is very generous, he thought suspiciously. Pinball isn't the worst person in the world, but his cynical mind refused to believe that there's someone alive that was truly kind. Pinball believed that people were either kind to make themselves feel better, appease some deity, or for their other, personal gains. Pinball didn't think Thorsten any different. Watching him as he talked, Pinball absently gathered a material as he passed it. He was going to confront the man soon, he knew. He wanted answers... but he would have to wait. He needed to get well away from the town so that he would be able to press these questions without having to worry that the man would call off the gathering trip. "Hey," he said, pointing at a point in the horizon, "I scoped out a stream somewhere around there. I wanted to test out my fishing skill some more; I've only used it a couple of times now, and I want to see if we can get any goodies without reeling in something that'll kill us.

Gathering: 

Spoiler

ID# 93824

LD: 17+3= 20 (Success!) 

1 T1 Material Gathered. 

Edited by Pinball

Silver nodded, “Very well, please lead the way, comrade.” Silver then went to follow his companion. It was interesting, observing the surroundings, so much to learn in every step. Silver found himself thinking aloud. “This place reminds me of my time in Silicon Valley. That was a site to behold. The lush trees that surrounded the area, the rolling hills that seemed to be out of a photo shoot. It was no wonder that he held up there” Silver began to recount the memory, unaware that he was doing so aloud. Something of a flashback, then again, these things were common in his line of work. “Buck up Comrade, you always look so disgruntled… Yes I realize that you would rather be home but that is no reason not to enjoy the day. We have seventeen hours until we must be set up for the mission apex, the least you can do is relax…” Silver sighs, “We have valid intel as to where his whereabouts will be, why do you insist on distrusting it…. So what if we don’t personally know the man, he is a family correspondent…” Silver begins to get heated, “What do you mean you don’t trust Grandpa on this? You are beginning to sound like that knob end Atzo. I don’t understand why we had to be partners. Just because we are the best in the business. Grandpa knows I am more than capable to fend for myself… You little… Yes I am questioning Grandpa but this is different. People working together is much more problematic and takes time, you should know this…. Fine I will see you at sundown….”

@Pinball

• 1 month later...

Pinball paused what he was doing, and stared at Thorsten with a blank face. Uhh, was all that came to mind. He looked from side to side, then pointed a finger at himself. He was about to speak, but then the man started to get heated in his debate. He was arguing with somebody, but Pinball didn't know who. All the more reason that this guy is a loon, he thought anxiously, trying to make an excuse to escape. He shouldn't be here. Pinball let his thoughts race, but then the man suddenly finished. "Uhh, you alright there, buddy?" A careful hand reached for his dagger, just in case he made any sudden movements. This guy has lost it, he thought again, taking a few steps back. He wasn't sure he wanted to continue gathering. "You - uhh, you went on a bit of a monologue there," he explained carefully, his eyes squinting in caution. Was he self aware of the things he was doing? If so, did he realize how creepy it made him sound? If not, why was this guy in SAO and not a mental hospital? Pinball had a thing for talking aloud, too... but this. This was something else entirely. Something much deeper, Pinball knew. 

Silver shook his head, realizing that he had been speaking aloud. He gave an awkward chuckle, “My apologies, I thought I was reliving that memory in my head, apparently I was reliving it outwardly. I hope I didn’t say anything that would prove to be overly frightening. If you have any questions I assume I am obligated to answer at this point, to an extent. So, feel free to ask any question that may have come to you whilst hearing that and I will do what I can to give you and answer.” Silver was a hurricane internally. He had just outwardly relived a memory that could jeopardize himself and his partner. No matter how much how much he hated his partner, Silver was not one to cause harm to the family. He needed to have a firmer guard for the time being, it would be a challenge to navigate the newly placed mine field without a map. Still it was not something that would be impossible.

@Pinball