(PP-F1) Growing Up <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

Fae had yet to take the Secret Medicine of the Forest quest yet, so she figured today would be the day she would take it. Fae didn't exactly feel comfortable doing quests alone yet, so she decided to ask around if anyone could help her with the quest. She could probably do this on her own, but Fae just wanted some company.

Fae had been asking around the area where the NPC that gave the quest was and no one seemed to want to help. Or rather, there was just no players around. It was all NPCs walking around her, who couldn't really help her out in this case. "Hey! Can someone help me on a quest?!" Fae called out into the crowd. It was still in the afternoon, but Fae didn't know how long it would take to complete the quest, so she was worried that no one would show up.

@Embers

Medicine quest. She looked at the quest description, it seemed easy enough. With her Scythe and Reaper armour, she'd easily be able to get this done. After all, not much was going to stop her when she set her mind of things. And this is one of them. She made her way to where the NPC who gave out the quest, absent in her own mind as she pressed the accept button. She would have left then, no questions asked. Except, she heard the voice of a kid. Out of nothing more than surprise, she looked and spotted the young girl. The hell...?

Unable to stop herself, she walked up to the young girl. She wasn't welcoming in appearance. Heavy black 'Reaper' armour, and the Scythe upon her back. She raised an eyebrow at the girl as she walked over and knelt down onto her knees. "How old are you kid?" She asked, there was no restrain in her voice. Unlike when most people talked to kids, Ember didn't care to be gentle. Regardless of being in a game, kids had to experience reality. It sucked for those unwilling to extend the boundary. 

Fae was just about ready to go and take the quest by herself when she spotted another player accept the quest. Fae didn't need to call anything else though, as the player had already heard her first call and was walking towards Fae. It always seemed that people showed up at the last second for her.

The player looked rather intimidating with the scythe and armor, and Fae trembled a little bit at the sight. The player knelt down to Fae's level and asked her how old she was. She seemed very direct, unlike just about everyone else who had ever talked to Fae. "F-Fae is 9 years old miss." Fae said as she shuddered a little bit. She had just seen this player for the first time and she was already scared. This hadn't really happened before either, no one intimidating like this had ever approached or talked to Fae.

9 years old. "Jesus christ kid, you're 9 years olds" She wouldn't have believed it if the kid didn't talk about herself in the third person. She'd heard stories from dad, people so broken they talk about themselves like they aren't. Given where she was and this kid was probably just some city girl, it honestly wasn't a huge surprise. The Scythe-weilder stood up and looked down at the young girl. If she was anyone else, she'd just leave. But, she was 9. Dammit! 

"You said you wanted help no? It's to do this medicine quest right? Look Kid, just 'cause you're a shrimp i'll help, but don't expect it much from me" She hated it inside, but she was 9. Urgh this sucked! At least, last time she found an lost chick, it was a bird and become her companion. This 'Fae' was simply gunna hang around and become a parasite if she got too closer, like all children. 

Fae wasn't sure whether to feel complimented or offended when the player said that Fae was 9 years old. It wasn't that young in Fae's eyes, but she didn't really know much about other's opinions on cases like this. She would probably be surprised to see another 9 year old in this game that wasn't an NPC, since all of the kids that came in had mostly died already.

Fae nodded when the player said that Fae had wanted help on a quest, the medicine one specifically. There wasn't any other quests in the area, so it was the only possible one Fae could be doing right now. But it got Fae a little upset when the player called her a shrimp. "Hey! What's that supposed ta mean? Fae ain't no shrimp! If you're gonna help Fae, you don't need to be mean." Fae pouted, crossing her arms and looking up at the scythe wielder.

Embers almost started laughing at the kid. She was no shrimp? Oh she was and that was Embers being polite about it. She shook her head and couldnt' stop, she laughed loudly. "Oh kid, you're not dumb. You know damn well what it means, you're short and you're young. That means in my books, you're a shrimp" She would have called anyone else much worse, but a 9 year old deserved some respect, if for no other reason than their ignorance to the reality of the world. But, it wasn't her fault, not yet anyhow. She would become guilty, but that is a few years to come. 

Embers turned to where they were meant to go for hte quest, but what the kid said made her pause. No need to be mean? What a stupid idea. "And why not Fae? Last i checked, i could say whatever i want. Is it one of those city rules, not to treat children like you would anyone else? Dont' you get sick with all those sheep treating you like a kid? I'm giving you a chance to be you, not some lost 9 year old, don't waste it" She shifted her head as if to say 'lets go', but didn't move herself. Were all city kids this sensitive?

Fae was getting upset now with this player that was now laughing at her. They had only just met and Fae was already being made into a joke. Her cheeks were starting to turn red out of embarassment when the player explained how Fae was a shrimp, and she couldn't even argue with it. The player was throwing bad words at her too, which just got Fae more and more upset at this person. She thought that they could be friends, but this clearly wasn't gonna be the case so far.

The player then asked why seh shouldn't be mean to Fae, and then went on to insult her for being a city girl. "No one treats Fae different, they always say that they treat Fae like anyone else. You're just being a meanie right now. Fae isn't some lost 9 year old either, Fae doesn't need rules on how to be treated." Fae pouted as she followed Embers, grabbing onto her hand with her own, still looking up at her.

Embers was at a damn crossroad. On one side, there was that part of her that felt bad for Fae and should be a big sister to her. Take care, shelter her. But, was that her? Or was that was the city wanted from her as usual? She rolled her eyes, even if the other girl couldn't see it. Did she expect everyone in this game to be squishy and kindhearted? "Welcome to the real world Kid. It ain't nice, and people like me exist everywhere. Consider it lucky that i ain't no Pker leadin' ya to your death. Worst you'll get from me are words" Meanie. She'd been called that, and worse, for years. When she was Fae's age, those words were like punches, each hitting her in the gut. Now, they were tools to piss people off, but never herself. After a while, she became immune to verbal insults. People often, and quickly learn words don't stop fist from punching you, hard, several times, in the face.

"Kid, i'm say it once. To me, you're not different from anyone else in this game. I don't care if you're only 9. You can die the same as everyone else, so.." She wanted to tell the kid to be careful who she trusted, but was it worth it? 

Fae was getting even more upset when Embers had said that not everyone in the world was nice. But Fae could tolerate all of that teasing, she already knew that not everyone wasn't nice, and that there were plenty of meanies out there in the world. What Fae could not tolerate however, was Embers bringing up PKers. "Fae is lucky that you aren't a PKer?! Fae has already been led to her death before, and you have the heart to make fun of that?!" Fae said, her voice raising a bit as she stepped away from Embers.

Fae was clenching her fists now, and was getting fed up with everything Embers was throwing at her. But then Embers told her that she could die the same as anyone else. She remembered hearing words very similar to that before and Fae's eyes widened, and she started to shake. Embers ended her sentence with 'So...' and Fae started to panic. "No no no, not again! You stay away from Fae!" Fae shouted nervously as she pulled her dagger out of her cloak and held it close to her, taking a few more steps back from Embers.

Edited by Fae

Embers had NOT expected the kid to react like this at all. So the surprise and shock that came out on the big girls face was unmistakable. Some Player killer had, taken a crack at Fae? Ember felt part of her vision blur, and not for a good reason. A blood rage, and they were far from pretty. The girl watched Fae pull out a knife, and it finally clicked. Fae thought she was planning on killing her. That's why. Embers looked at the ground, stupid. But she didn't arm herself with her Scythe. "I see, you think i'm a player killer. That i'm one of those detestable scumbags who pray upon the weak" The girl shook  her head in disgust "Sure, i ain't the nicest around kid. But i not a vulture and i ain't a killer"

She looked at the young girls knife. Had she been forced to kill last time? It would explain far too much. The girls amber eyes glowed softly, a fire that was slowly dying "Listen Fae, i won't say i know what its like to have some idiot try and kill me. But, i will say this. You can't let one stupid idiot, make up your view on everyone..." She lowered her arms to her side. In her mind, there was a simple way to do this. She took her Scythe, and threw it onto the ground out of her reach "If you honestly think i'm here to kill Fae, then you need to make a decision. You either run away from that which plague you, realize i'm not the enemy, or, use that knife of yours and take things into your own hands... Make you decision kid" 

Fae looked at Embers, unsure what to do with her knife now. She was trembling, her eyes filling with tears as Fae started to lose control of herself. Embers was now saying that Fae thought she was going to kill her, and Fae quickly nodded as she started to raise her dagger. "Y-Yes I do, I think you are one of them. I led myself into meeting you, I invited you. Why do I even bother trying to see good in people? I keep telling myself that if everyone has at least little good in them, nothing bad can happen to me. What do I get for that? A killer hiding behind a smile, no matter what anyone says, I can't trust anyone. Now you come along and now I find myself in this position again. You say you aren't a killer, and I trust you right now." Fae said, every one of her words filled with fear and uncertainty.

Embers said that she shouldn't let one idiot ruin her view of everyone else and Fae shook her head. "Why do you care?! Even if you aren't here to get me, you have been nothing but a meanie to me earlier! Do you feel sorry for me, is that it?! You keep teasing someone until you realize you go too far, and now you think you can make it up by trying to be comforting?!" Fae said, her voice raising even higher now. She was beyond angry, she was infuriated, and yet terrified at the same time. Fae watched as Embers tossed her Scythe aside, and Fae looked down at her dagger again. "I don't want to hurt you! It doesn't have to be like this!" Fae shouted. She had said those exact same words to the other girl, but things were different this time. Fae threw her dagger over to where Ember's scythe was, and she simply looked her in the eye, waiting to see how she would react.

The situation was beyond Embers control. She knew she wasn't the smartest around, words wouldn't be enough. She didn't know what to say to get her point across, so she did what she did best. Action, by removing her weapon, it was proof. She had no intention to harm. While in truth she had martial arts, it was the point of discarding her weapon was to put her faith in the younger girl. 

"I have no intention to take back what i said Fae, i don't regret it" She said simply. Embers didn't feel guilty about this, rather, annoyed. How DARE someone try and kill a 9 year old, a child who doesn't get the choice of who they are yet. More than anything, it filled her with a blood rage. A fury that was, very very, hard for the girl to control. Still, she did nothing as she watched Fae disarm herself. So she had choose to trust her. If she was a Pker, Fae had just killed herself. But, that was for later. 

"It doesn't kid. Like i said, i ain't the kindest, or the smartest person you'll meet. But i'm honest, and the last thing i will do it hurt you" Physically, that was her promise. This girl was, innocent. Normally she hated it, but being young has its perks. "I don't expect you to trust me Fae, but live with the knowledge that if anyone, ever, tries to kill you. You contact me, and i'll sort them out" Without waiting for a reply, the girl walked over and passed Fae's knife back to the girl, before grabbing her Scythe and putting it back onto her back. 

Fae was slightly calmed down by Ember's act of disarming herself. It showed at least that Embers didn't have any ill intentions towards her. Fae's tears stopped and she stopped shaking. Embers wasn't going to take back what she said, but that didn't matter to Fae at this point, she didn't regret it, which is what mattered.

Fae had chosen not to bring up the fact that she killed the player who attempted to take her life, and just looked down at the ground. "That's what the other girl said too, that she wasn't gonna hurt Fae. But hearing you say it is different. Fae trusts you more than her." Fae said as she took her knife back from Embers. Then Embers went on to say that if someone was going to kill her, all she needed to do was contact her. "Fae already has someone she messages for that. Fae almost messaged him right now, but you are fine with Fae now." Fae said as she closed the messages in her menu from behind her back.

So someone else had offered to protect the girl, at least this world isn't filled with scum. Embers wasn't sure who it was, but hopefully they were a high level to keep the girl safe, and fast enough to get to wherever was needed in time. "Good, although, you should have messaged him the second you felt threatened. It'll ensure he gets here in time" It was a simple warning, because some Pkers would not hesitate, and might be a high level. Fae wouldn't survive a strong opponent taking her on. 

The girl swung her Scythe onto her back and pointed into the woods "Quest is somewhere in here, it's got a bit of combat. I'll keep an eye open for ya, if you need help call for me. Done?" She was facilitiing Fae's weakness, making the girl weak. After all, having someone else do your fighting for you, it was the mark of a coward. But, after learning what she had, she would protect Fae, at least, for now. For this quest, she would protect Fae. After that, well, it was on her. She hoped they'd find the mobs soon, her vision was still partly blurred from her blood rage, and she couldnt' wait to unleash it. 

Fae liked the idea of having another person to turn to if she was in danger, but Stryder and the rest of the guild already had her back covered. "Fae was about to message him actually. Fae had opened the messages and was about to get his help while we were talking. This cloak is not just good for hiding weapons and keeping Fae warm, Fae can message anyonr from inside with the flick of a finger." Fae said, fully aware of how some PKers wouldn't even hesitate to attack.

Fae nodded when Embers had told her that there was going to be combat involved and to let her know if she needed help as they walked into the forest. "Fae will be fine. We have to take out four, so you take two nepents and Fae will take two. Fae can handle herself just fine." Fae said as she held her dagger close to her. While she had her perfect cloak, she still had her badic dagger. She needed to get a new one sometime in the future.

Embers was a little annoyed the girl rejected her, but, well, it wasn't up to her. Fae could do whatever the hell she wants, and did not need her approval, nor anyones really. Embers nodded her head "Sneaky littl' one aren't ya? Good, that'll keep you alive" She said simply, bluntly, as she stretched her arms out and cracked her fingers in excitement for the upcoming fights. The girls weapon seemed pretty basic, but maybe it was good? She didn't know, but if Fae said she was alright, then let the kid suffer if she did it wrong. 

"2 each? Sounds pretty basic, well, if you need help call. Don't be prideful" In her earlier levels, she had a player who was too prideful to call for help. In the end, it had killed them. Hopefully Fae wouldn't fall victim to that. But if she did, Embers felt confident she'd be able to complete the quest so, while it would suck, it wouldn't plague her forever. Eve in a world like this, Fae was as human as her. Humans died, that's how the world worked. 

Fae giggled a little bit when Embers referred to her as a sneaky little one. Finally something that wasn't an insult. Fae took it as a compliment and got a small smirk on her face. Embers should have considered herself lucky that Fae didn't message Stryder as soon as she felt threatened. Things would have gotten ugly very fast considering his level. Fae didn't want to say directly to Embers, since the two were finally starting to make progress on a good relationship.

Fae nodded when Embers told her that if she needed help just call. She had also said not to be prideful, and Fae already knew to do that. After hearing about all those players that had died just because they thought they were strong enough, even knowing a few, well, Fae didn't want to end up like them. "Okey dokey! Good luck miss! Fae will be right back!" Fae said as she ran off into the forest to hunt down the two nepents she needed to kill for the quest. 

Fae spotted one right away and she had her target. The nepent was about three inches taller than her, but Fae wasn't afraid of it. She lunged forward at it from behind and stabbed it three times, cutting a triangle into it before it shattered immediately. Fae had taken the first nepent out in one attack, which wasn't too surprising because of it's measly 7 HP.

ID: 91358 BD: 9 (Critical Hit) +1 DMG

DMG: 3 x 3 (Tri Pierce) = 9 DMG

Nepent: 0/7 HP

Fae: 80/80 HP | 7/10 Energy

@Embers

Edited by Fae

Embers watched the girl vanish, and shrugged. There was nothing more she could do that this point, after all, she may have been only nine years old, she seemed more mature than most. She watched Fae throw herself into battle, and successful kill the monster in a single strike. She couldn't stop the grin, maybe there was hope for her yet. 

In her watching, one of the Nepents managed to sneak up behind her. However, Embers was more than aware it was there. She grinned as she pulled out her Scythe and swung it widely at the creature, hell, it was small than her. No need to be afraid of it! With a single swing of her Scythe, the Nepent exploded into pixals. One hit, one dead monster stupid enough to try and sneak up on her. She let out a sigh, and gave Fae a nod. 

"These pests'll go down soon enough Kid"

Spoiler

Embers: 200/200 HP | 8/10 EN | 6 DMG | 27 MIT 

Nepent: 0/7 | 3 DMG (0/2)

ID: 91755

BD: 9 (+1 Crit)

Sword Art: Whirlwind. 7(2)=14

Edited by Embers
  • 2 weeks later...

Fae was very satisfied with her one shot kill on the first nepent, so she immediately darted off right after killing the first one to hunt down a second one. It was very easy to find one as another nepent spawned just a few meters away from where Fae was standing. She already had her target and now there was nothing stopping Fae this time from hitting it.

Fae sidestepped through the trees and jumped up into the air to avoid any attacks from the nepent. On the way down, Fae's dagger glowed a shade of pink s she circled it around as a windup. Fae slashed at the nepent on it's head coming down, and then slashed it from the side once she hit the ground. It only took 2 hits to kill the nepent this time before it shattered into a bunch of crystals just like the first one. Fae wasted no time sprinting back over to Embers and checking on her. "Fae took out her two miss Embers. Fae will now try and find the variant." Fae told her before running back off to go hunt her next target.

ID: 92606 BD: 10 (Critical Hit) +2 DMG

DMG: 4 x 2 (Round Accel) = 8 DMG

Nepent: 0/7 HP

Fae: 80/80 HP 6/10 Energy

@Embers

Edited by Fae

Embers didn't look at Fae after she killed her first. Either the kid called out for help, died or was successful. Embers had no point to watch over her like some over concerned parent. The second Nepent was close by, and with a single slice of her Scythe, and the use of the Whirlwind Sword Art, it exploded. Embers barely look at what should have been the corpse as Fae seemed to also be able to kill her target. That was two down for her, and the shirmp managed to pick up two kills also. 

"Well, that's two dead. Now then, where the 'ells this boss monster or whatever the hell it is?"

The girl looked around, her hair swinging onto her black armour. She moved and rested her scythe on her shoulder. Where was this damn thing, and when could she cut it open?

Spoiler

Embers: 200/200 HP | 8/10 EN | 6 DMG | 27 MIT 

Nepent: 0/7 | 3 DMG (2/2 slain)

ID:  92693

BD:  8 <Hit>

Sword Art: Whirlwind. 6(2)=12

Edited by Embers