Sword Art Online Extra Edition to Air With New Footage

The Sword Art Online television anime series is getting a year-end anime special titled Sword Art Online: Extra Edition. In the afterward in the 13th volume of Reki Kawahara's original light novel series, which shipped on Saturday, Kawahara noted that Sword Art Online: Extra Edition will be a recap of the Aincrad and Fairy Dance arcs, but it will contain some new footage.

Aniplex of America had mentioned Sword Art Online: Extra Edition at its panel at Otakon last weekend, but specified that the show is going to be in Japan only when it airs on December 31.

Aniplex of America is releasing the 25-episode Sword Art Online television anime series on four Blu-ray Disc and DVD sets starting on Tuesday. The series is currently airing on Adult Swim's Toonami block.

posted on 2013-08-12 17:15 EDT

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ew-footage

3 more days!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I thought that the special was well done (hats off to making chapter 16.5 practically official). I think the IRL stuff was good cause it added to some details of the real world.

I agreed. It really showed the relationship between the survivors, and their outlook on VRMMORPG gaming, and I'm glad PTSD didn't win the battle in the end. I guess it wouldn't have much more to offer if it had.