[PP-F4] Wisdom in the snow (Benjamine Bookworm, Thorsten)

Silver sat in the trees surrounding Frostbite Lake. He was watching for a snow owl, wondering if it were to be possible to acquire one as a companion. He recalled how he had seen others with companions and wondered as to their origin. This was his favorite place to be, the area was reminiscent of his hometown. He thought to the days he spent wondering as to what it was his mother did, where she went. Others he spent wondering where his father would take him next. His life was non-stop travel. It was amazing to him that it all started for him in that British town. The life of someone like him was a quiet one, so he swiftly learned how to be at peace with himself. Not much bothered him anymore. It was hard to be bothered when in his line of work.

Silver’s heterochromatic eyes glistened in the light reflected off the lake. He heard the sound of an owl, getting silently excited. Soon the bird flew before him, the blackish specks of the wings captivating his attention. He swiftly recalled the sight and started to draw an exact replication in his journal.

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben had been hiking through the snow covered foests again, on one of his usual routes to try and gather enough materials to keep his crafting going.  He sighed- this was looking to be another unlucky day where he would return home empty handed. He had too many of those.

As he was looking around though, he spotted another player on the floor in the distance.  That was rare- most players were running around trying to kill as many big things as they could.  He... was just sitting there.  Maybe he was hurt? 

So Ben struggled through the snow to go check, calling out with a tinge of concern in his voice as he did. Hey there. Um, don't see too many players in this part of the woods. Are you doing OK, or lost?

Silver heard the footsteps approaching, he wondered what the result would be of this interaction. He had high hope, however. The light pink haired man looked to the man asking if he was okay. Silver gazed at the man with a warm smile, light still glistening in his heterochromatic eyes. “Indeed! I am quite well!” He said through a thick Northern British accent before swinging down from the tree and landing perfectly in front of the man. He extends a hand. “Greetings, I am Silver ‘Thorsten’ Zevulum. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance!” Silver brought the collar of his <<Mark 1 Zevulum Combat Armour>> to his mouth so that the Purple Z was directly over his mouth. “I come here often, I was searching for a snow owl to record in my journal.” Silver handed his journal to the man to see. The open page was of a perfect rendition of a snow owl in pen. If other pages were turned to the man would only see pages of mores code and a square in the upper right corner of 1’s and 0’s. “How may I be of assistance?”

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben visibly relaxed as Thorsten greeted him.  You never knew who you would run across out here... even an artist, apparently.  That's a neat looking drawing.  I haven't seen too many people just coming out to the floors to see the sights.  The only reason I'm out here so far is to search for crafting materials.  Trying to make as many potions as I can every day burns through the supply that I have really quickly, so I have to do a long trek for more every other day.  he said as he adjusted his scarf to better shield from the wind.  Are you planning on getting an owl for your familiar, or do you just like drawing them?  He admired the pen drawing, trying not to let any of the snow get on it.  He wanted to see a bit more of the book, but he figured it would be rude to just start flipping through without permission. 

Silver smiled at the man, kindness in his eyes. “Perhaps I can assist you on your quest to gather material.” Silver thought for a moment. “I, indubitably, shall be getting an owl as a pet once I have finished improving my searching abilities. Though until then I shall stick to bird watching. So, my blue-eyed friend, please tell me about yourself. I am always looking to gain knowledge of experience from others. It allows me to better strengthen my knowledge of the world, both the one in which we came from and the strange realm which we find ourselves in today.” Silver knew that few could add to the list of experiences that he himself had, though he never wanted to pass up the opportunity to find out the possibility of experiences which he could never have. Thus, he perused every opening to learn about others as he possibly could, silently piecing life together through the eyes of others. It was so grandiose to hear of such things that could be done, understand the things that others had gone through. Perhaps with the intelligence that he would gather through others he could begin to accurately predict scenarios in this strange realm or in the original that he found himself in.

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben smiled awkwardly at Thorsten's questions.  He wasn't very good at talking about himself... Me? Um, well I'm mostly a healer type, I suppose.  I've been trying to help out some of the newer players who are starting out, and I've been trying to get enough potions and such to one day be able to help supply some of the front-liners as well.  I've never seen them have too many people with healing items up there, so I figure once we start getting a bit higher in floors they might be needed. 

Though I guess that isn't much of a description, is it.  Honestly, I just want to help my friends in the game.  Even if all I can do is make things and give them to the actual fighters, I figure that would be enough.  How about you, aside from drawing things, what's your plans for being on this floor?  he asked, trying to keep his thoughts on track as he kept glancing over at the places he had to search through. 

Silver chuckled before he began to speak, his voice booming across the lake. “Perhaps you misunderstand me, I mean, Who art thou? What is it that makes you who you are? You haven’t even told me your name as it stands! So, my comrade, please enlighten me with your tales. I have been searching for experiences that differ from my own for quite some time.” Silver enjoyed the hunt for information. It was one of the many hunts he enjoyed. So many things were present in this world, he wanted to learn them all.

Silver began walking, assuming his comrade was following him. The way he walked gave the impression of both being completely relaxed and being able to snap someone’s neck at any point, his arms hung loosely at his sides and he held his head up with confidence, though not with pride. He saw something glistening in the snow and picked it up, remembering what this man had intended to do whilst being out in the cold. Silver then tossed the material to his friend. “One down, how many did you intend to acquire precisely?”

ID# 94466

LD: 20+2 =  22 (1 T1 mat found)

[Mat given to @Benjamin Bookworm]

Edited by Thorsten

Oh, right my name... sorry I just was a bit over focused on the task that I completely forgot.  he said as his cheeks reddened.  My name's Benjamin Bookworm.  Most players just call me Ben or Benjamin though.  I suppose if you want something unique about me, it's that I don't like to fight.  I mean, I love the game, same as most others here, but I want to try and find my place without having to hunt down big monsters or constantly battle things.  I just never found that as interesting as using the support skills the game gives us is. 

Ben hurried to catch up as he talked, checking a few of the bushes as he went by them and grabbing a promising branch.  The material he picked up jumped straight into his inventory once he got it.  As for how many... well, I go through 25 to 30 a week if I'm crafting every day, so I just shoot for as many as I can find before I get tired.  Every little bit winds up helping. 

Spoiler

Gathering roll ID - 94485
Loot die 15, found 1 material

• 4 weeks later...

Silver smiled at Benjamin. “How simply wonderful!” Silver stated with a hint of excitement in his voice, “I was beginning to give up hope of the possibility to come across another who had an aversion to combat. I fully understand your not wanting to participate in combat. If I can avoid it I attempt to as well. It seems so many people are absorbed in their combat prowess. As if it is all they think of. How crazy is it to think that when you place people in an environment which requires fending for one’s life, as this realm is, so many people attempt to become the best at doing so? Then again, humanity is inherently evil in the end, perhaps this fact has some indication of the proceedings of those in this realm. I must say, however, the ability for the individual to form a society had far exceeded my immediate expectation. What do you think on the matter Mr. Bookworm?” Silver looked to his surroundings once more, finding a small material and tossing it to his comrade. This would be a short day of gathering should he be able to keep up with this pace.

ID# 96226

LD: 13+2=15 (+1 T1 Mat Found)

[Mat given to @Benjamin Bookworm]

(My apologies for the delay, RL got intense)

Edited by Thorsten

Ben thought about that for a while as they walked down the wooded path.  Honestly, I haven't thought too much about the philosophy of things quite yet.  I think that environments like this, with everyone fighting for their lives, you should see a lot more people working together to try and work their way out as a team.  But since this is a video game, everyone can't treat it the same as a usual situation.  And you have people who just don't see the others as people who need to be protected- it's a terrible situation to be in.  He didn't find anything on the path, as he continued in thought.  Maybe we do have some society with guilds and such, but that's more tribalism than anything.  You need a lot more cooperation than we have right now to call it a ral society... or to call it something that will have a better chance of everyone getting through alive. 

Spoiler

Gathering Roll ID 96232
Loot Die - 13, nothing

@Thorsten