[PP-F11] A Drink at the Boar's Tusks

Kalu walked through the dank streets of Taft while looking for a place he could have his virtual drink. His resolution to break his vow would, normally, make him nervous because of his fear of becoming his parents.

While walking, he thought back to the morning he left the Philippines. An image, besides the usual difficulties when faced with starvation, haunts his mind. The image of his mother crying, yelling at his selfish father. She was asking, pleading, begging. “Please, let our child have the chance to have his future.” She was on her knees, prostrating, almost as if she was praying for forgiveness from whatever power that may exist.

“We are at the mercy of the hands of fate and free will. The question that needs to be answered is which one of them is heavier.” Kalu said absentmindedly in front of a tavern named “The Boar’s Tusks.”

Walking inside, he noticed that the floor was a dark oak while the seats had cushions similar to velvet. The counter was made of a mahogany with ornate carvings depicting a man being impaled with a boar’s tusks and ants ripping apart another. Kalu also noticed a man sitting in one of the corners in the room, by himself in a booth.

Sitting down at the counter, the NPC promptly inquired what drink he shall have. Kalu simply responded that he was fine with anything, mainly because this alcoholic drink was not really alcoholic. It wouldn’t impair any of his logical thinking, but it was the idea of breaking his promise to himself that drove him to do this. Every prior restraint he has felt since he was a child had mostly disappeared.

When the NPC sat down a drink of red wine, Kalu picked it up and simply pronounced, “Cheers.”

@Embers @Pinball @Froppy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girl kicked open the door and walked inside. For the past few hours, she'd been cleaning around killing any and all mobs she could find, and had opted to take a break. She couldn't get drunk, stupid game, but the bar gave her a comfortable atmosphere. It was a second home for her, effectively. She looked around the bad. She had unequipted her fighting stuff, now wearing a tank top, camo pants and boots. Comfortable hiking gear. She looked around the bar, only one player here eh? Well, sucked to be them tonight. 

Embers, with no hesitation, walked up to Paglikha and crashed next to him ,drink in hand. She smirked at him, either unaware, nor not caring, about how he looked. "Have a drink! Been a long damn day eh glasses? Shame about the crappy system eh? Can't even get drunk on this crap, really makes ya question the point of bars even existing doncha think?" She kicked her boots up onto the table and leaned backwards, stretching out her arms as she did so. Others may have too scared to even approach a stranger, yet along act so confidently. But embers simply didn't care. 

Edited by Embers

A single finger twirled a half-emptied glass of honey mead. The boy's head was down, buried in his arms. Not for the first time, Pinball went over the events that had led up to his isolation. It was his fault, really. Everything was his fault. Everything, he thought moodily. Then, a flash of anger. He smacked the glass off the side of the table, where it hit the floor and shattered. He sat his head up, the spot where his head rested dotted with teardrops. His face twisted in a snarl, then relaxed again into one of sorrow. He covered his eyes with his hands. He wasn't sure how he was supposed to be feeling. Too many things had happened at once, and he hadn't the slightest idea how he should have dealt with it. How he should deal with it still. 

“Cheers.” The sound of a voice made Pinball turn his head. With a blank stare, he quickly made a few connections. Paglikha was his name. He remembered him from the guild's meeting. "Have a drink! Been a long damn day eh glasses? Shame about the crappy system eh? Can't even get drunk on this crap, really makes ya question the point of bars even existing doncha think?" There was another one now. A girl with red hair he vaguely remembered from some guild quest he hadn't wanted to join. Pinball snorted to himself, looking back at his table in the corner. I broke my glasshe thought stupidly. He shrugged, putting his head back down. He'd stay a bit longer. 

Edited by Pinball

Kalu would have been slightly annoyed because of the woman next to him being slightly overbearing and hearing a glass break and fall (which he believed was the other patron that was within the tavern). However, he didn't give it too much thought as he sipped from his glass hoping that it could fill up his empty vessel. I thought I was going to have a peaceful drink.

Kalu simply looked over Ember, taking her low-maintenance but high-comfort outfit into account. To Kalu, it appeared as if she wasn't all too interested about what outfit she was wearing. After all, many people would simply fall over her due to her natural beauty. "It's a shame, truly. I came here trying to break a promise. I'm not sure if this even counts."

Looking over the booth in the corner and finding the glass broken on the floor and slowly dissolving into crystal shards, Kalu finally remembered the other patron's name. "Pinball. It's been a long time since I've seen him. It's been never since I talked to him. Kalu was wondering what he was doing here. Moping around due to the inability to have have a significant other in life? Or was he was remembering some past event concerning a loved one? Whatever it may have been, Kalu took no interest in what it was.

"It's been a long day without a friend. Trying to be what I'm not." Kalu took his Grecian tragic mask out of his inventory and placed it on the counter. "Wearing a facade of emotion will only bring you tragedy. Hell, I’m not entirely sure how I have not killed myself yet. Name is Paglikha. Call me any variation of Paglikha or Kaluluwa you see fit. Most people tend to call me Kalu anyways.” He took another sip of the drink. Damn shame it is.

Embers wasn’t aware of the other person in the bar, but the sound of shattered glass caught her attention within seconds. It was a sounds she was ALL too familiar with, given the sheer number of bar fights she’d been involved with in the real world. She turned to face them, who was that kid? No way he was old enough to be at a proper bar, then again, no booze. Stupid game. She frowned, he looked familiar. Why?

She looked at her drinking friend, and let out a sigh. Standing up, Embers stood at a powerful 6’0, and even sitting down, she took up the space with her mere presence. “It’s close enough. Stupid game doesn’t let me get drunk either, it’s a real pain in the ass” She leaned back in her seat, before lazily looking at the mask. The hell was with the mask?

“Well, Kalu-whatever. Here is what I say. Emotions make you human” She said loudly, emotionally. For Embers, the only way to live was power by emotion. To live without emotion, is to not exist. “I ain’t gunna pretend to be someone I aint for others Kalu, and neither should you. Be whoever the hell you wanna be, only person who stops you is you. Screw EveryBody else!”

He couldn't stop thinking about his outburst. How it must have affected her. "Whatever," he grumbled angrily, snarling at the table. But that isn't fair, another part of him believed. It was his fault. He was his own problem. He stared at the table, his fists balled up tightly. Listening to the two, he snorted. He could respect the girl's point of view; in fact, it was rather similar to his own view on life. Alas, there was something about her that just pissed him off. Maybe it was his already foul mood. Maybe he was just being bitter. Whatever it was, Pinball stood then, making his way over to the counter. "Crazy drunk," he mumbled. 

Pinball waved down the NPC bartender, ordering the same honeyed Mead Hei had bought him when he had lost their gathering competition. It had grown on him. He took his drink silently, going and sitting back down at his table. He decided he would be content with listening. He stared at the glass absentmindedly, swirling it around a bit. Really though, he was listening to their conversation. 

”Emotions make people humans?” Kalu felt more lost than ever. He was sure he was born by his mother and father. They were far from the accepted concept of humane, but he wouldn’t go so far to call them monsters regardless of how certain events haunts his dreams whenever he sleeps.

”Well, I am afraid to say that I am not human.” Kalu took a couple of sips from his drink. Fruity. ”After all, I pretty much cowered in fear as people risked their lives. Waking up each day, doing the same routine. I’m a robot. Everyday I wake up, go to school, go to the rooftop and wonder if I should jump off, people come and I make it look as if I was just taking in the view, go back home, wallow in misery, send money to the folks that abused me. Repeat over and over.”

Kalu didn’t care if he said too much. If he let himself within the real world appear in his current state. After all, he felt no embarrassment or shame within these tendencies anymore. As Pin walked up to the counter, he knew that this conversation would eventually be leaked to the Guardians of the New Dawn. Intervention was most likely inevitable. A minor annoyance at worst. Almost demanding the bar tender, Kalu spoke. ”One more glass.”

Embers was a passionate being unafraid to show her emotions to the world. She would continue living on despite no matter her circumstances nor the circumstances of the people living around her. Kalu respected that attitude, even though it was certainly more normal than his mental state, because he never had the chance to even display his emotions. The emotions he lacked right now. ”Weird, it’s Valentine’s Day and I lack the innate ability to feel love. Maybe it’s a learned emotion. I guess I’ve never learned it.”

If Embers cared enough to listen to the person mumbling at the bar, she would have punched him. No one calls her a crazy drunk, even more so in a stupid world were booze didn’t even work! A fact she never forgot to remind herself about. The girl slammed down her drink, but didn’t bother going for another. After all, why drink and remain sober?

The person she was in the booth thingy with, well, he was a bundle of joys. And by that, she really meant depressed as hell. “At the end, glasses, it’s what you make of it. If you don’t enjoy life, you know how to end it” she said simply, not caring if they would judge her for her comment “No everyone was built for SAO, those who can’t cope, well, there are two roads. Take one of ‘em”

She leaned back in the seat, her towering 6’0 became smaller as she stretched out and closed her eyes. Right as she heard those two words. “Wait, it’s valentine’s day? Dammit, I could totally have found some cutie and had a blast…Urgh, stupid game..” she muttered, more to herself, but her muttering was far from quiet. “So what’s your issue being here? Couldn’t find some girl…guy, whatever floats your boat…? Because only two people end up here on a day like this, loners and forgetfuls”

Pinball listened to their conversation, interested despite the rather dull expression on his face. He was sat a good bit away from them, tucked away in the corner of the bar. No real players besides the three of them occupied the bar's space, and the bartender was the only NPC in the shop. He looked between the two of them, then back down at his glass. He took a sip. Questions filled his mind, and he took it upon himself to uncover the answers. It was almost a game, really, the way he listened and learned. Almost as if the way they spoke were pieces to a puzzle, and the puzzle were their being. He had never talked to these two before, only seen them. It's best it stay that wayhe thought grumpily. The way the boy spoke ticked him off, but he stared at his glass with the same bored look on his face. What's his problem? Paglikha's voice and expression both were dull, and he didn't like it. It gave off almost a condescending vibe. Pinball leaned back in his booth, and took another sip of his drink. Sweet. 

Edited by Pinball

Kalu couldn’t help but chuckle a little bit like an instinctive response. It was hilarious, how Embers was assuming that Kalu couldn’t find anyone. He felt amused, entertained, not quite so happy. After he calmed down from this fit, he continued to stare at the glass.

”Sorry, what you said wasn’t supposed to be funny. I realize that. It’s just that I wasn’t looking for anyone. I can’t see myself being in any meaningful relationship, friendship or otherwise, with anyone else.” Kalu picked up the mask and put it on for a short while before setting it back on the counter. ”I played around with two people outside of the party. I didn’t know what their names were, wearing this suit and a comedic mask, I acted as if I was excited for the party. When I entered, well… I’ll save you the pain.”

Kalu took a short sip at the glass of wine and swirled it around. ”Let us enjoy this evening though, shall we? To future prosperity and possibly even the chance of finding someone who can tolerate our existences! Cheers!” Kalu raised the glass up high and smiled. Who says I can’t still play the part.

Embers crimson eyes looked up at the person at the bar, the other player. It annoyed her, he was just sitting there listening, and not saying a thing. A slight growl escaped her lips, was he trying to be rude? At a bar, when someone like HER comes in, you join and make talk. Glasses hadn’t said a word of complaint, so what was with that kid?

Embers threw a lazy look at Glasses, and let out a loud laugh “You know what buddy, despite your whole dead thing, you’re not too bad! But let me change it a little, screw EVERYONE who doesn’t like ya. Hell to the yes for finding the one person who accepts you at face value, if they even exist!” The girl slammed what was felt in her drink. She kicked her feet off the table and sat up, but didn’t move.

“Oi! You, at the bar! Grab us a drink and join us, I’ll pay” she called out at Pinball, expecting him to do as she asks. She had the col to pay, and the more the merrier!

Pinball drained his second glass. He pushed the glass to the side, and put his head down. He kept listening to the conversation. After Paglikha finished speaking, he now recognized that he was the one that had passed Froppy and him on his way out. What had happened on the inside? He would have asked if he was involved, biut Paglikha instead proposed a toast. Pinball didn't like the mannerisms of the red-haired girl much. She was loud, and Pinball had the feeling she was the type to have extreme and sudden mood swings. He took a deep breath, and then exhaled. His heart feeling as though somebody punched a hole in it, he placed his hands on his head and pulled at his hair. Why had he been so rude? Why did she care so much? Why did he care so much? He didn't want to. Pinball wiped at his eyes, looking up at the girl who addressed him. He shook his head. He replied, coming up with a quick lie on the spot. "Sorry, no thanks. I'm just waiting for someone." He closed his eyes, his forehead pressing against the smooth wooden surface. Great. Now I have to wait a few minutes before I leave. 

”I’ll tell you what Embers, I’ll drink to that! For those who have denied me anything and everything!” Kalu sipped once more from his glass of wine while remembering his parents. However, something strange occurred. He did not have his usual flashback to the Philippines that should have been spurred on by the thought of his parents. Kalu was intrigued for the reason why, but decided that this was a thought for later on.

When Kalu heard that Pin was waiting for someone, he thought about the current rumors going around about Pin and Tsu. They really ought to be at the Valentine’s Day Masquerade Ball, not this dingy old bar. Kalu tapped the counter a couple of times, trying to figure out a wording that would not heavily suggest that they are already in a relationship. ”Pinball, if it’s Tsu you’re talking about, I highly suggest you take this somewhere with more festivities. I’m not sure if you know this, but there’s a masquerade ball going on right now.”

The one she was sitting with seemed to lighten up, and Embers smirk ate up her entire mouth. Finally, someone who was loud! So many people she’d met were just damned cowards, too scared to speak up. The girl looked at the one at the bar, and anger washed through her. How DARE HE. Did he have NO idea how bars worked? Violence flashed in her eyes and she made a movement to stand, right as Kalu, or glasses, said a name. Pinball eh? So that was his name.

“Come on…” She stood up, a towering 6’0 giant as she walked forwards to the bar “Lighten up eh? If this, Tsu, or whatever, already ditched ya, then come hang out. Grab a drink and come join” She moved next to him as the bar, ordering another drink and resting her back against the counter, her crimson eyes glaring into the boy “Well, whatcha say kiddo?” Embers had no idea who this 'Tsu' was, a girl he liked? If he was here, while he was interested in her. Embers was going to kick his ass, then drag him up to her. 

His eyebrows twitched a bit, and Pinball grimaced with frustration. Who the hell was he to bring that up? It was none of his business who Pinball may or may not be referring to. His sorrowful mood quickly gave way to frustration, and it only got worse when the red-haired girl walked up to him. She was older than him, that was without a doubt. However, she was only a bit over an inch taller than Pinball himself, who stood quite tall for his age. She talked kindly enough, but the glare on her face implied otherwise. Pinball glared right back at her, grinding his teeth as he spat out a response. "No, I don't think I will." His reply was plain, but it was a cold one, and there was a hint of a challenge in his voice, as if a part of him was raring for the oppurtunity to argue. He pushed himself from the table, shaking his head, mumbling to himself a string of curses. Turning his back on the two players, he made his way to exit the bar. He didn't know where he planned to go, as he had just wanted to enjoy a drink by himself. As interesting as their conversation had been, Pinball didn't feel like being around the two any longer. 

Kalu turned his head and watched as Pinball walked to the entrance of the bar after declaring that he didn’t wish to drink with Kalu and Embers. Truth be told, Kalu didn’t really care much for whatever Pinball has been going through. He wasn’t concerned of his current behavior, he rationalized that Pinball might just have been having a bad Valentine’s Day and embarrassed himself. However, Kalu decided it was his business how Pinball acted around Tsu, if either of them had an interest in each other,. Pinball, you could have just not answered. We wouldn’t be in this mess. After all, you affirmed my beliefs.

Turning to Ember, Kalu asked a simple request. ”I know this is a pain, but would you please make sure he doesn’t leave and bring him over here? If he has any issue with Tsu, I want to be one of the first people to know what is wrong. She’s a dear friend to me after what happened at the beach.” And I want to make sure she doesn’t get hurt. Kalu had assumed his deadpan expression once more, but this time with a fire inside of him. He knew he wasn’t strong, but he wanted to protect one of the only people he loved and cared about in his life. I’m a fool who only feels for other people. ”I’ll take that responsibility and pain ten times again. Kalu set his sights on Pinball. Kalu felt as if this was the most serious he has ever been his entire life.

Embers was in the mood for a fight, and this kid was really pushing her the wrong way. First, he refuses to get her a drink. Then he turned her back to her, and then, he straight up refused her offer! Anger flooded through her system, how dare this little kid be that rude! She saw her hand was in a fight, and the girl grinned a violent grin. Despite having fought all day, it seemed her body wanted to scrap it out once again.

Embers hand shot out and grabbed, firmly, Pinballs shoulder. The words of glasses weren’t needed. She didn’t care much for their issues, for now, at much as this kids straight up rudeness to her.

“Now listen up boy” she said, her voice laced with a blood lust. “When at a bar, when someone makes you an offer, you accept it. So first, we’re getting a drink. Second, if your friend, kal or whatever, wants to talk to you about, that tsu person or whatever their name was…” Embers hand would refuse to release Pin. He may be around her height, but even so, Embers had fought before. This scrap would be like any other, gods she hoped he’d take a swing at her just so she could pummel him into the ground with no regrets.

“So either go to him and have a drink, or do I have to drag you here?”

"She’s a dear friend to me after what happened at the beach." 

Pinball twitched with anger. That one phrase was on repeat. He was terribly angry, and he didn't know why. Why should he care? She'd be better off with someone like him. She'd be better off with someone like him. Even if he was... "You bland [censored]." One part of him screamed at him to punch him in the throat! The other whispered he should just walk away. He let his frustration get the better of him. He growled at Paglikha, suddenly feeling cornered. He felt the need to try and harm. "What's your story, eh? Mommy and daddy didn't pay enough attention to you? Maybe the [censored] cool kids didn't think you were up to their standards. Nobody gives a [censored]. Get over yourself, and stop being such a [censored] about it." He stopped, Embers' hand gripping his shoulder. His face twisted in a rage, and he whirled around to face Embers. "And you! The hell is your problem! You should be drinking yourself to death in some bar, not picking fights in a video game. I don't give a rat's ass about your rules." He, in turn gripped Embers' wrist, but he made no move to remove. "You're not dragging me anywhere. I'm leaving. Do something about it." His eyes narrowed, and he wished with all his might she punched him in the face, so he can pummel her into the ground without regret. He was hopped up on adrenaline, and he wouldn't realize how terrible the things he was saying were until afterwards. Pinball was a bundle of mixed emotions; the result of years of suppressing feelings. He felt tears welling up in his eyes, but his twisted face did well to hide it. He was going to play the bad guy, and then he'd leave. And then, he'd... leave. Regret washed over him, then, but it was too late. He couldn't take it back. "To hell with the both of you," he growled, his voice shaking.

Tsu had felt that the way Pin had yelled at her before leaving was kind of her fault. She had been a bit too involved, Tsu felt she should have just left him alone. Since there was pretty much nothing left to do at the party, Tsu decided to leave before the couples would start dancing, just so she wouldn't feel left out. Plus, Tsu wanted to go find Pin and apologize to him. She checked her friends list and found Pin, and it turned out that he was in a bar not to far from here. Tsu walked away from the ball and back to town, where she found the bar after a few minutes.

Tsu walked in, and saw Pin, Pag, and a red haired girl that she didn't recognize. All she heard was Pin saying to hell with both of them. "Pin, are you alright, ribbit? What's going on here? I came here to apologize to you Pin, but why are you so mad, rrrrrribbit?" Tsu asked, a bit confused by the whole situation.

“Thank you, Embers, but I don't want this to turn into a brawl. I just want to talk-”, Kalu was cut off by Pinball’s yelling. He winced as Pinball made a remark about his parents, and ever so slightly trembled as he tried to stay in the land of present reality. He felt as if he as a hair-breadth away from tipping over the edge into the abyss of his nightmarish past. “You don't know me.”

That was when Tsu arrived at the bar and simply asked if Pinball was fine. Didn't think you’d be here. “Hey”, Kalu said weakly as he was gripping the counter with white knuckles. “Ho- How have you…been?” For the first time in 9 years, Kalu felt his throat close off and felt his hands become cold with sweat. With genuine fear in his voice, knowing full well what was going to happen next, he said, “Not again. Please, no.” He then slumped over the counter and closed his eyes as he teetered off the edge of reality.