[OP-F1] A Shield Without an Owner <<Town of Beginnings>>

Hypa had spent a while in the Town of Beginnings, too afraid to leave. He had kitted himself out, and readied himself, but once he understood the consequences of being in this world, he had gotten scared. He would normally aimlessly wander around the town, looking for something to do that wasn't risking his life. Inside, Hypa wanted to be clearing out the floor bosses, to be sung as a hero, but he could never bring himself to do it. This wasn't Hypa. Hypa must have left. What's the point in having a shield when you're only going to protect yourself? This is something he thought to himself over and over again.

Hypa had found himself in the tavern once again, drinking away his fear in hopes it would help. He noticed a few other people mingling among themselves, and most of them seemed alright. Hypa sighed, and the giggled a little. He sipped his drink, wiping his mouth. "Jesus, what am I doing?" He said to himself, making a few patrons of the bar look over, before returning to their conversations.

Edited by Janslow

Reinka watched the man and realized he was similar to her when she first started. She could read that face of depression, near disillusion, and then realization all at once.  She went over to him and bent forwards.

"Looks to me like you're drinking some troubles away." She replied. "Something the matter?" she asked curiously wondering if he was really like her and just sat around the first floors and hadn't seen combat yet. Mostly out of fear, or could it be this man may have lost someone recently. It wasn't as if she could see his level or anything like that. "Mind if I sit with you today? It was getting loud and crowded where I was." She admitted. "My name is Reinka."

She felt a little nervous doing this but thanks to being an actress she had a very put together exterior. Making another friend might help later, or maybe she’d help him on a quest or two.

Still sticking around the Town of Beginning, Simba refused to leave the first floor until he had completed all the quest that was assigned to the first floor. He had met a few allies along the way, but none that he had befriended. 'Who needs friends, right? They will just keep you attach and if everything goes wrong, people will be ripped out of your life.' He took a deep breath and sighed, as he watched players run around the town. He examined the players, as some were frantically running around finding something worthwhile to do. Simba took a look around a few of the buildings and found his way peeking through some buildings.

He noticed that there were a few players mingling inside and could see the fear in a certain player's eyes. 'It seems like he is going through the same initial fear that everyone has gone through.. I am not sure if drinking his problems away is going to help.. Then again, alcoholism does not really affect players, but I should try and help him.' Before he could walk through the door, a female player approached him and he stopped and took a few steps back. He was not the type to mingle with players and it seemed like the female player was going to help, but he stayed back to see if he could help.

Hypa looked up to the friendly girl, who revealed her name was Reinka. She seemed surprisingly friendly. Maybe she was like this once? Hypa managed to fake a smile, and tilted his head. "Yea, there's a lot of problems I'm having recently." Hypa's forced expression faded into sadness a little. "Sorry, this really isn't like me. Hi. Name's Hypa. Yea, you can sit here. Why not?" He put his arm out, signaling to a handshake. How was this girl strong enough to go out there and live in this world? It was obvious she was more of an adventurer, and she'd at least done one or two things out there, risking her life. Hypa couldn't do that in his state. He was permanently mourning over nothing. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but he was scared. Scared of dying. Scared of failing.

Hypa had noticed someone curiously watching their conversation. He didn't really mind. What could they want from him or her?

Edited by Janslow

"Hm is that a friend of yours?" She then waved Simba over. "So, um, what happened if you don't mind me asking."

It could be several things really. He could have been dumped, but with his state, she doubts someone would want to dump someone like him. Someone died. Maybe he was like her, or maybe his business wasn't doing well these days, or maybe he a bad time out on the field and didn't get any materials he was looking for that'd be a better thing to be upset over.

"Heyo, party over this way!" She called the other player again. "Why not right, we've got to liven you up a bit."She winked happily at him feeling bubbly today.

She was fully willing to change the sad mood at the table. She only hoped she'd be able to help consol Janslow instead of making it worse. SHe knew her happy attitude could rub off her previous co-workers a bit badly. However, since she was pulled out of her funk herself she couldn't resist showing some teeth and trying to help someone in need. She had Steel to thank for that. It was hard to be strong but even harder to admit you need help from time to time, at least that's how she felt.

"Party?" Hypa said, before stutteringly adding "Y-yeah! Why not?" He glanced over at Simba, before returning his attention to Reinka. She seemed to want to comfort Hypa, and he welcomed this."Sorry to go all sad on you. Like I said, this really isn't me." Hypa took a long breath in and then out. He laughed a little, tilting his head. This was the happiest he'd been in months, and it didn't take much at all. He took a sip of his drink. He let out a long sigh, smiling. This woman was really kind.

"Anyway! Party it is!" Hypa said in delight, a touch of happiness in his life. This girl was really friendly. Not many people have approached him except a few people wanting to fight, so it was a welcome change. "Let's just have a great time, and forget all the troubles for now. We can worry about those later!"

In an instance, the two players were able to catch him and he stepped out from hiding and revealed a nervous smile. 'I did not think I was going to be spotted so quickly.. Maybe I should invest some points into hiding.' He walked toward the two players and bowed, "Sorry for snooping on you two. I sort of get curious when it comes to conversation between a small group of people." He knew that there was no point in trying to hide behind anything anymore. He lifted his head and offered a smile to the two. "My name is Ca-- Simba.. It is nice to meet the two of you.. I'm sorry, but I could not help but notice your expression.. Sir."

Simba glanced over at the female, who seemed to be friendly toward the other player. "I don't know what might seem to be the problem, but it seems like we can all work together to put a smile on that face." There were a few players Simba had met, but they had not left a valuable impression for him to keep in mind. He still felt bad about leaving those he had met and wanted to change that. To do so, he needed to help someone in need. Almost instantly, he found the player who seemed to be drinking his emotions away.

"Sounds like a plan! Do any of you want to try a snow ball fight maybe outside, or something?" she asked curiously. "I wonder if there are any mini games in town, have you seen any Simba?" she asked curiously.

The only minigame, if you can call it that, that she has seen was if you already owned a shop and you were crafting something, but there had to be something else.Maybe there was some sort of race they could do, or then again she was content with just kibitzing as well with the two.

"If there isn't I'm okay with just kicking back with you two." She smiled happily sending them each a friend request, she wanted to stay in touch with even more people.

She felt really happy to make new friends. She hoped she could help them out as well with anything. Quests, parties, eventually potions, it'd be fun in her mind. She wanted to prove her worth and help Janslow out the best she could with the help from Simba.

Just because he needed sleep never meant he couldn't try waking up earlier once in a while. However, his familiar seemed to have another thought on the matter. Returning to the safe zone from another training trip that yielded hardly any results, he sighed, knowing that there would be a point in which the only use for going to floors this low would be materials and possible friends. He looked to his shoulder, where his familiar, Veriost was sleeping, as usual. Hoping that she would be awake when or if he met anyone, Vigilon nudged the small white frost dragon to try and wake her. Veriost yawned, stretched her wings...and curled up to try going back to sleep. "You've rested during the entire trip, sleepyhead. Come on, wake up." Veriost looked at him with half closed eyes, not wanting anything to do with the present moment. Vigilon spotted a tavern as he was walking in the town again. " 'Cause I think we're going in to see who's around." He usually wasn't one for taverns and such, heck, before he had his shop, he tried to save up on col by sleeping on benches like some homeless guy. Oh wait, he was one during that time. He looked around, and saw three players. He walked over to them. "None of you mind an extra guy in the conversation, do you?"

@Janslow @Reinka @Simba

Everyone was being extremely friendly. The girl had sent him a friend request, the person watching had tried to console him and a third person asked to join in. Hypa loved this, nobody really approached him at all, let alone start a little party. This was already the happiest he'd been in forever. He eagerly accepted the request, a genuine smile perched on his happy face. "S-sure! Join in!" Hypa said to the man who had just walked in. "I'd rather just relax, if it's okay with you all. I'm stewing over something." Hypa's smile didn't break, he was attempting to seem strong, but it probably wasn't working. He felt as though he wasn't allowed to unload his entire life onto three random strangers. He just wanted to enjoy himself for a day, nothing else. He could worry about his problems when it doesn't involve other people.

She nodded and listened to him now that they were all together she felt she'd more likely be able to cheer up this guy. He still seemed like he had something he wanted to get off his chest pretty badly but she didn't want to pry the whole time. She opened her mouth to ask but then looked at the guys to see if they'd ask. She wondered if he'd respond better to guys hanging out. Considering she was the only girl, or would that maybe help. What if it was girl trouble, she'd be screwed then. Questions she could handle but couples therapy wasn't her strong suit....Usually.

"Hm, why don't I get us some food then. What would you boys like to eat? It's on me today!" She said happily.

That could get her out of prying and give him space to chat with guys if that would be better. If not she could ask him later with everyone too.

"I've always thought food helps solve problems."

That was usually the truth with her until she played this game.

A notification pinged his HUD and a friend request window appeared before Simba. A small smile appeared over his face, but he put it to the side, not accepting nor denying the request. 'These two are really friendly.. I have no information on these two at all, except for that fact that her name is.. Reinka?' He switched his attention toward the male player and smiled, but another player came in and startled Simba. His attention quickly went toward the familiar and began to become curious on where players were able to obtain familiars in the game. He only knew one other person with a familiar, but he shifted his glance.

"Looks like this party is getting bigger." He added. His ears perked, as Reinka talked about buying food for the rest of the party. He quickly waved off at Reinka, "That's fine, Reinka! I am good, thank you for asking!" He was not the type of person to have someone buy anything for him. Although he is not the type of person to seek help from others, especially in a game where actual death is involved, Simba wanted Reinka to save Col for herself.

@Vigilon @Janslow @Reinka

One player said it was fine for him to join in. He also said that he was hoping to just relax, due to stewing over something. "It's...not another player's death, is it?" So far, there were plenty who were among the dead. At this point, he wouldn't be surprised if another player had died, although he still wouldn't be happy about it. The female player in the conversation asked what the others, including Vigilon what they wanted to eat, and that it was on her. Vigilon appreciated the kind thought, but how long has she been out and about in this game? Did she have the col to spare? He had a choice; He could politely refuse the offer, or he could accept it. After thinking it over, he said, "Thanks, I appreciate your kindness. I'm not thinking of anything in particular, but I'm sure Veriost here would appreciate some sweets, don't ask me why." He said, as he gestured to his small white frost dragon that was on his shoulder, mostly awake. Veriost had also perked up slightly at the mention of sweets.

@Janslow @Reinka @Simba

The sudden small party that was about to happen filled Hypa's mind a little too much. He became a little out of it for a few moments as they talked, but eventually snapped to attention. They were requesting food or something? Right. Hypa thought for a little while, and replied with a simple "I'm good." and it was kind of true. He had just ate, and wasn't going to steal someone's hard earned col away. He hadn't really earned or spent much col anyway, so taking someone else's felt more wrong. Plus, he had never really planned for a party to happen, so it was giving him too many thoughts to keep up with the good yet mind boggling situation. "Treat yourself! Not me!" Hypa said after, nervously worrying that they would think he was extremely upset, because he was only a little sad. 

"Oh how cute. Hm, actually I'm not hungry either. I just figured maybe the table wouldn't look so empty if we put food on it, though it'd get empty anyway eventually. " She got up to get some sweets for the dragon trying to land a special to get a piece of chocolate for everyone. Considering it was the spare pieces she got them as scrapes. They would be good of course but they weren't perfectly square which was their only fault. She supposed if npcs were scripted to have stats they'd fail at their craft sometimes as well. This meant no one would get a boos to it. She placed her chocolate in her inventory and went back to the group leaving a bowl of it on the table to share with everyone.

"Guess the kitchen had some to spare for your dragon and anyone if someone wants anything." She smiled happily. "Hehe, don't worry about me I'll have something to nom on eventually. I saved a piece for myself for later. Though I realized I want some water I'll be right back."

She got up to get water for everyone just because it was free, and it was her personal delight. This would give the guys a chance to chat.  She hoped it would be okay for her to excuse herself in case it was something a guy wanted to chat with guys about but if she was pulled back into the fray she'd lend an ear quickly.

Everyone seemed to be good. For the most part, Vigilon was good also. After all, he always made sure to have some sort of food items in his inventory, because, well, you never know. The other two players seemed reluctant to speak, so Vigilon thought that he might be the one to try initiating conversation. "So.....How has life in Aincrad been so far for you guys?" Reinka returned for a quick second to place down a bowl of chocolates for anyone to have. Veriost jumped down to the table and was starting on the chocolates within seconds. Vigilon had to slow her down. He picked her up gently, saying, "Easy now, ya little stinker, those are for the table; they are for anyone, so don't forget to leave some for the others, Veriost." He placed the small white frost dragon back up on his shoulder, where she kept her eyes on the sweets, waiting patiently for everybody to be done with them.

@Janslow @Reinka @Simba

The bowl of chocolate slowly caught Simba's attention and he smiled as Vigilon's familiar attacked the bowl of sweets. 'That's adorable.. I guess even artificial intelligence also have a thing for sweets.' There were a few things Simba had to do before he ventured toward the next floor, but he was glad he took a break to meet these three new players. His attention changed toward the newly formed party and smiled, as everyone seemed to be getting along with each other. "Aincrad.. It has been quite the ride.. Still slacking on levels, but I would have to be questing soon, so I can catch up on the levels." Simba replied, before leaning back against the chair, as his attention turned toward Janslow, "How about you? What has been going on with you?He asked, as he was curious as to why he was blanking out for moments at a time.

There were players who were going through situations in the game and he was in no place to ask players' about their personal experience, but he also wanted to help Janslow ease into the situation they were all in. 'We are in a Death Game after all.. What is there to do? What can we do? We have to stick together and fight through the battle.' He sighed, as he fixed his attention back on the party.

Epsilon was walking through the Town of New Beginnings, she found its atmosphere the perfect kind to think things over.  She was currently wondering what time it would be in the real world and if the time zone were the same in game and IRL. She passed a tavern and thought she could use a drink. She figured it would be an early birthday present to her. She walked inside and noticed a group of players wondering what to eat. Not sure if they were friends or not, she didn't approach them, she sat down at a bar stool, and ordered a shot. She then sat patiently waiting for what she ordered. This gave her more time to think, the only noises that came from her direction was an an occasional "Hmm...". She was always the strange calm type, always thinking, and speaking her mind. She naturally got bored and started eavesdropping on the other players conversations.

Vigilon found an empty seat and sat down. Simba said that it's been quite the ride for him so far, but he needed to stop slacking in level and get some quests done. "Same. I try to train as often as I can, but there are plenty of players who started off later than I did, and now they're stronger than me! I mean, what's up with that? How am I supposed to start and lead a Guild if I can't level grind efficiently enough?" He paused for a minute. "Ah, sorry for rambling like that. Yes, I do intend to start a Guild. What I've got in mind is to protect the players of Aincrad, and help other players rise in this game. I intend to call this Guild the Rising Dragons." He stopped, hearing a sound nearby, as if someone was listening. He turned to see someone looking towards them. "You know, asking to join in on a conversation is a lot friendlier, and less awkward, then just listening in like that. Unless," He got up. "Someone sent you here for information on one of us."

@Simba @Janslow @Reinka

@Epsilon

"I'm surprised you have the nerve to train. I hope one day I can do that. I'll likely do that in a group though." She hoped she could handle being out in combat, that was most of the game after all, and likely most of 'life'. "Wow a guild too, good luck with it. It's hard to connect with people. My friend Steel is trying to do the same thing. I'll get better at fighting eventually I hope." She took in a deep breath still worried about it. She looked over at Janslow and smiled at him. "Don't worry about fighting or anything though, just think of this place as a vacation, the scenery is actually really nice. There's even a star system, but I have no idea what it is supposed to be of. At first, I thought it had actual constilations and after awhile I saw that it wasn't the same at all. Unless it's in another hemisphere maybe." She tried to make conversation. "I wonder if anyone has tried to find any lore on it."

She thought to herself for awhile and relaxed in her chair chatting with everyone.

"Unless of course you wanna give it a try, just be well equipt and never go alone is my motto." At least it was for now but maybe one day she'd risk it, just not today.