[F22 - PP] Scouting for the Floor 22 Labyrinth

As he tore away from the group, he waited until he at least knew that even Itzal couldn't spot him. There, he unsheathed his sword and slammed it into a large rock next to him. Ever since the fall of Beatbox, everything seemed to have gone wrong for him. Rin had shut him out, and now Shield was noticing that he was better at the tanking role. Jonathan had noticed a while before, but how could he contest to the man? He was more mature, wiser, and now better. He moved through his inventory and equipped an item that somehow always gave a touch of happiness. Maiden's Kiss. He wasn't really apt to use it due to his build, but he always liked the fact that he had such a powerful weapon within his hands. He looked around, finding a bright shimmering thing that caught his eye. He quickly moved toward the sight and found the bright glare came from a large lake. The one he had seen earlier. With a quick glance to make sure none were following him, he hurried over to the lake, kneeling before its waters. Although the water was clear, he couldn't manage to see into it from the Sun's bright glare. He stuck one hand into the lake. It was cool and calming to the touch. 

"Yah best be careful boy. The fish in there will bite yer hand and drag you in for a meal!" Jonathan reeled back to the voice, rolling backwards and moving Maiden's Kiss into a battle-ready position. He studied the owner of the voice. It was an older gentlemen, who carried a fishing rod with one hand and a bucket in the other. He had a yellow cursor, indicating he was an NPC"Didn't mean to startle ya there!" The man chuckled and seemed to be of good intent. Jonathan untensed , bringing the sword into his sheath. The man moved toward the lake, set down his bucket, and masterfully cast off into the lake, humming a tune the whole way. "Do you fish at all boy? I remember the first time my father taught me to fish!" Jonathan shook his head. "No.... I-." The older man chuckled. "Well, there ain't nothin better than to relax, and catch some fish. I am after the 'King of the Waters'. There is a HUGE fish in here that goes by that name. I reckon to catch it someday. You have any big dreams, kid?" Jonathan sat there stunned. "I- Uh" 

Itzal looked into the doorway only to find that there was actually no labyrinth.  They had walked through the underground tunnel and came out again to find the...  Boss, door.  He looked inside and saw a large grassy field.  Inside the field, the clouds began to swirl up upon his approach, darkening.  At the same time he could hear something approaching.  Hooves.  Hooves?  Was it a massive horse?  Was it a centaur type of boss?  Was it something unique like the colossus from Shadow of Colossus?  There was one that was like a bull so it could be like that.  Before he could identify anything however, the door slammed shut and a count down timer appeared.  From what he could tell, it would not open up for players until the timer ran out.  The timer lasted for about a week it seemed.  He opened up his menu to message the others: 

To:  @Morgenstern@Shield@Beat@Hikoru

So there's no labyrinth only the boss room.  The boss room is a massive meadow with dark clouds swirling above.  I heard the sounds of heavy hooves approaching, but before I could see it the door locked.  From what I can tell we can't enter the boss room for another week.

Hikoru had been following the small group quietly, proud of how easily the rest of them were able to take out the creatures easily without him. All of them had come so far, and they had worked so hard in their time on the frontlines, that they had caught up to him. He wasn't the strongest anymore out of them. They had easily overtaken him, and he was both proud of them and bitter. His pride was shot, he no longer felt like he needed to be there. They could all handle themselves. His jaw locked into place, holding his tongue behind the wall of teeth so it wouldn't spit words meant to kill. He got the message and sighed, his job done without much work. He looked at Itzal

"There are reasons why I work alone, things you don't want to know about." He said as he turned his back "None of you seem to need my help anyways, so I might as well leave the scouting to you and go to the shadows where I belong." He said, a little more bitter than planned. 

Itzal turned to Hikoru who had rejoined them but....  For some reason the man seemed, angry?  Frustrated?  There was something in his eyes that was vicious, but he had no idea why.  When Hikoru spoke to Itzal, it seemed like he was trying to tell him that he was hiding something.  He then said that they didn't need him and so he would leave the scouting to them and go his own path.  The bitterness in his voice was very clear as well though.  Itzal looked at Velnia who seemed down at what she just heard.  Itzal felt bad for Hikoru, not annoyed or angry.  He sighed.  "Hikoru, You know you don't have to go alone.  If you ever want to just be with someone, you can always hang out with me.  Don't feel the need to walk in shadows away from everyone.  We're here for you just as you're here for us."  He knew he couldn't stop the man, he never would be able to.  He'd always been so difficult to work with and it was impossible to get him to listen at times.  Yet even still he would continue to reach out to him in the hopes that he would one day act like a true friend with him.  He was, after all, a hopeful human being.

First Jonathan had run off, and now Hikoru was acting odd. It wasn't uncommon for the young man to brood, and really, Shield couldn't blame him. To be trapped here during what many would call his prime years must be unbearable, plus the threat of death looking constantly overhead. Even tanks, who had tried their hardest to make themselves immortal, couldn't escape it entirely. Shield nodded in response to Itzal's reassurance.

"We're a capable group of players," Shield said, picking which ideas of Hikoru's to agree with. "However, to say that members of the team aren't needed isn't really something I'd agree with. Things change. Relationships alter, and people shift roles within that. I think people can feel that things haven changed. I have." He clapped a hand on Hikoru's shoulder. It was a friendly gesture, but also was meant to jar him a little out of whatever trail of thoughts seemed to be pulling him away. "But family isn't 'not needed.' Even if the 'kids' grow up and don't need someone to hold their hand, it doesn't mean that the 'parents' exit the picture. It just means those kids have become more independent.

"That realization," he began, not sure if he wanted to finish the thought, but given the circumstances and the tensions that seemed to be running through the guild. "It's heartbreaking. No longer feeling like your kid needs you does something to you. But one thing that shouldn't escape you in that is that it means they're becoming who they need to be, and more than that, the family as a whole is stronger for it."

He gave Hik's shoulder a squeeze and let go of it. There had only been one player who he had directly told about his children, but the longer he was here, and the more time he spent with the Ascendants, the more 'dad' leaked out into the open. Taking a few steps away, he opened a dialog box and penned a message to Jonathan.

@Morgenstern

Come and join us. The family could use some bonding time. It sounds like we have a little time to kill anyways, so we might as well. Don't take anything said as a personal attack. Yes, the guildies are all growing up and coming into their own, but that doesn't mean we respect the players who got us here any less. I've got some food items crafted up for the trip, and the view outside of the boss room is pretty nice, honestly. Nice spot for a picnic with the guys, I'd say.

Before he was going to answer that he really had none of good quality, a pinging sound was heard. A message. He swiftly swiped down and read it, finding out there was no labyrinth and instead only the boss room which they couldn't enter for at least another week. Jonathan sighed, looking with a smile at the older gentlemen. "It was good to meet you.. ah" "Call me Jack" Jonathan nodded to the man and began to back away turning to the road in which he had come. "And boy!" Jonathan turned, a questioning look greeting the man. "Don't you worry about change. Life's far too short to try and spend your time preventing it" Wondering what the man could've possibly meant, Jonathan turned and began to run off back in the direction of the village named Coral. It seemed he wasn't needed for a labyrinth boss, and in turn he didn't really want to see the other Ascendants. "What did he mean by change?" Jonathan was confused. As he entered Coral, he immediately stood upon the teleport pad but then heard another ping. "Can you people just leave me alone already" He opened it up, finding it came from Shield. A man he really didn't want to talk to. He sighed reading it. The first few sentences seemed to be based on the idea that people were growing and they wouldn't forget those who had gotten them there. That sounded like Shield was waiting for him to let go, to retire. He then read the second which was an offer for a picnic. Being bitter Jonathan shook his head. He sent a reply message before teleporting to the 19th floor, a place he visited frequently nowadays. 

To: @Shield

I am afraid by bitterness comes from more than just... today's incidents. I will not be coming due to my own reasons as to not spread my discomfort and anger to the rest of you. Enjoy your picnic and the view, as I will be busy relaying over some thoughts that are playing in my mind. 

Hikoru stopped and listened as both Shield and Itzal spoke to him. Shield understood more where he was coming from, the subtle hints and jabs at what he was feeling was almost on point. He sighed and held back tears, as he knew that the time had come. He grit his teeth a bit and bit his tongue. He waited until Shield took his hand off, and just chuckled a bit. "Well, when the 'kids' have to fly the 'coop', you have to let them go do you not? It's to help them grow and become better than what you could do, for them to find their own paths." He spoke to Shield, a small smile on his lips for but a moment, then he turned, opening his window as the guild symbol disappeared from his head.

"As of now, I am no longer the DPS Paladin of the Celestial Ascendants. Nor am I apart of the guild at all." He turned to the small group. "The time for me to go is at hand. My life has far too much that I have to work on you, and you all can handle yourselves efficiently." He looked at Beat and gave him a nod. "If anyone should deserve the title, it's you. Congrats on the promotion." He said, then turned and started to leave, then stopped. "If you ever need my help I will be there, but do not come to me for guild matters, I have my own to take care of." And with that, he walked into the shadows, in which his blue cloak disappeared from sight, the last time that he would ever be apart of the Celestial Ascendants.

Beat blinked as Hikoru announced his plans to leave the guild. It was normal to see people beginning their adventures as solo players, but to most people, it became very apparent that the dangers of the game were too varied and unpredictable to play alone when your life was on the line. Beat had been lucky and had teamed up with Shield from day one, allowing both of them to build focused, strong builds from the beginning without risking being unprepared for the content they cleared. He assumed that Hikoru must have a similar situation or he at least hoped that the man was not planning to solo front line content. 

That's just suicide.

He looked to the formed member of the Celestial Ascendants and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Well, I hope you find your way. Do what you need to do," he paused as he glanced at the other guild members before returning his gaze to Hikoru, "I'll do the title justice. Thanks and good luck." 

Beat had no other words for the man. It wasn't his place to tell him what to do with his life and he could only hope that Hikoru would remain alive until they finally escaped the death game that they all were forced to be a part of. The promotion was nice, but his feelings on that were not quite as prominent for the time being. 

Edited by Beat