[SP-F17] <Challenge of Olympus> Battle of the herbs

Ben had heard of a new quest with the just released patch, and knew he had to try it.  It was supposed to get him a much better tool for his crafting, which was what he would need for the future.  He just needed to find where in Athenaia he would find the quest.  As he popped out of the teleporter, he got his answer in a sudden appearance.  WELCOME!  A satyr shouted as they leapt out of whatever ether they came from.  Looks like I surprised you, adventurer!  Did ya like it?  Do you like being surprised?  Was it fun?  Oh, where are my manners?  I'm Igneous.  Igneous Tovu, pleased to meet ya! he rapidly chattered on as he danced around, soft but cheery music coming from the pipes around his neck as he bounced around to the startled stares on the local NPCs.  Ben hadn't even been on the floor for a minute and this was already happening.  Great. 

Um, hi.  Yes, you surprised me.  No, I don't really like surprises.  Yes, where are your manners.  And it is nice to meet you... I think.  I'm Benjamin. he cautiously answered the excitable creature.  He seemed visibly deflated at this.  Awwww... but OK.  Nice to meet ya too!  So, I have a MESSAGE! he said, somehow making the capital letters come out with his voice.  I'm the super official messenger from Demeter, goddess of seasons, yummy foods, plants, and more yummy foods!  And I'm here to tell you that you have been challenged- dun dun DUN! she actually said that last part.  What the heck.  She wants to have some super expert alchemist come and have a contest where she pits her skills against yours, making super ultra awesome concoctions to see whose is better.  And there's a reward for you if you win.  So, do you wanna come?  I'll take you there right away!  So will ya?  Will ya? he asked, repeatedly and energetically.  While getting right into his personal space. 

Well, I came here for a quest, so we might as well go. Ben answered.  And with a sigh, started following the over-eager satyr towards the town gates.  He had no idea what was going to be happening quite yet.  So... what kind of challenge is it?  Will there be judges, or just having to make a certain amount of things? he asked, trying to dig out some extra information.  No idea! he cheerfully and unhelpfully answered.  She apparently has been on a big stretch of challenging 'worthy crafters' who blah blah something, but today she just grabbed your name off a list and told me to get you.  No idea what she has planned.  Or if she cleaned up the mess from last time. he sang out as he skipped along towards the exit of town, leaving Ben to quickly try and catch up as they walked along.  He had no idea what kind of a mess this guy was talking about, or what he was getting into, but there probably was not a way to back out now. 

Benjamin followed the satyr out the gates of town, and towards their eventual destination.  He seemed completely non pulsed by the weirdness that was happening right now, nor did he seem to care about the risks of running into any wild monsters.  Since Ben wasn't high enough level to take them on either, he decided to watch his own path a lot more closely as they walked and talked.  So, can you tell me anything about the goddess that we're going to meet?  I've only heard a few legends myself. he asked.  Yeppers!  Oh she is super duper awesome in spring- always singing, and making flowers, and having crops grow.  She's just super kind and nice and does all sorts of potiony stuff to help the other gods.  Though it's usually boring.  Like, 'Igneous, I can't help out, I have to go cure this plague' or 'Why did you fill my cauldron with fifty pounds of sugar?  What's wrong with you?'.  Boring. 

But today, she's been nothing like that!  She laughs and bounces around, and dances, and makes wine way out of season, and hasn't said one word about duty at all. he said before breaking out into giggles.  Hehe- I said doody.  Ben now had some serious doubts about the reliability of his guide, but their travels had Mt. Olympus in sight, so there wasn't much point in confronting him about it.  Once he reached Demeter's part of the mountain, they would part ways.  Well, that's good.  I'm sure that if she's in a more giving mood, then I'll have a better chance of getting the item I'm chasing after.  Should be a piece of cake.  Ben continued to walk up the mountain path, but stopped when he realized his guide had stopped too.  Igneous had stopped as well and was staring at him.  Without a word, which was weird enough, he walked over Benjamin and patted him on the shoulder before continuing on.  OK, that was ominous.  You know that was ominous, right?  Igneous? 

They had been getting close to the end of the path that they were walking up, and Ben was getting more and more nervous about this whole quest with each step they took.  It sounded like the NPC goddess wasn't right in the head or something.  So, at least she isn't dangerous to players, right?  She wouldn't attack anyone? he nervously asked.  Oh, sure.  I mean, she gets all yell-y and screams and sometimes just teleports people she doesn't like elsewhere.  But I never saw her attack anyone.  Um, where does she teleport them?  Elsewhere, I told ya.  It seems he wasn't going to get much more information out of her yet, and they were entering a lush garden area that seemed like Demeter's domain.  Ben braced himself for whatever challenge was ahead, and strode in, trying to ignore both the knots in his stomach and the loud banging sound he heard up ahead. 

Igneous hopped his way into the garden's center, motioning for Ben to follow along.  The place looked beautiful, with strands of grapes and other fruits hanging off every vine, flowers covering the grassy surfaces, all done up in intricate patterns.  There looked to be two sets of cauldrons and brewing equipment placed in two different sections of the grass, probably for the contest he was about to have.  It was spoiled. however, by the fact that there was a giant mess in both the brewing areas, with one of the cauldrons flipped on it's side, and a sickly sweet smell permeating the area and overpowering everything else.  A NPC worked feverishly on the other cauldron, angrily ranting to herself in a low voice.  She had glowing yellow hair intertwined with flowers, a green flowing dress matted with recent stains and crumpled from use.  And Igneous had just walked over to get her attention. 

Demeter!  I brought the guy you asked for! he called out, trying to get her attention.  Instead, she just grabbed an armful of ingredients and marched off to one of the side areas to do something. 

Um, hey Igneous, Ben said as he cautiously approached.  You don't have any idea of what happened here, do you?

Oh yea, this is from the last guy she challenged.  He lost, and then shouted a bunch of stuff about how she was too old fashioned, and uncool, and was just some old woman who didn't know how things were done now.  Then Demeter teleported him somewhere else and smashed up everything.  Then she told me to get you. he said with a huge smile, like this whole mess was a giant joke. 

And the sugary smell all over?  Oh, I guess that's the kind of potions he made.  He said they were supposed to be some sort of energy drink, though I didn't know alchemists could make those!  They didn't seem to work though. 

Ben figured what had happened.  So, Demeter is now in some sort of angry identity crisis because of comments another player made.  Which she probably teleported him into a volcano for.  And wanted to prove herself in another contest, while still angry as only a greek goddess can be.  And, to top it all off, is hopped up on some sort of experimental energy drink.  Do I have that correct? he very pointedly asked Igneous.  Oh, don't forget she's also feeling a real need to prove how powerful she is right now.  And you're the target she chose!  Also, she definitely does not understand why that guy was so mad, so she's unpredictable too!  It's going to be incredible! he said with a weirdly large amount of awareness.  Well, thanks for clarifying that.  I don't suppose there was any reason other than watching her bat me around like a cat toy that you have for helping her with this plan?  Well, otherwise she might be mad at me too.  But hey, maybe you'll survive!  How about that?

Ben gave the satyr a dirty look, but he had a point.  And on top of that, it was way past the point of running away right now.  He had to try his best to make it through this crazy contest intact.  Somehow. 

Demeter came back out to the garden, and Ben could see that despite the fact that she was crafted to look like a beautiful goddess, her face was currently sports a very angry grin that made her look like a predator on the prowl.  So, mortal, it is time for the contest t begin!  I am the master of potions and concoctions, knowledge of all things brewed!  And today, I shall prove I am not only the most proficient in these ancient arts, but in the modern ones as well!  I have brought you here for a contest of COOLNESS! 

What the heck, Ben thought.  Yes, we will see who can brew a potion is the coolest way!  Prepare yourself!

A... coolness contest?  Is that seriously what's happening? he whispered to Igneous, trying to figure out what was going on here.  And was met with a disinterested shrug.  OK, so coolness then?  How are we going to be judging the, um, coolness of our techniques? he tried to find out, with a bit of trepidation. 

You!  Satyr!  You know of this cooling, does thou not? she shouted to a happily nodding satyr.  It is done then!  You shall be the judge of this contest of wits!  As she prowled up to the waiting  cauldrons, and with a wave of her hands righted them both, and set the ingredients back up.  Igneous bounced up to the center between the two areas, and looked eager to begin... whatever this is.  Art thou ready for the battle to begin? she shouted again, taking another swig from what he presumed to be the energy drinks she had. 

As she said that, Igneous began playing his pipes, as if on cue.  As he did, Demeter began picking up some of the ingredients to her hands, and for some reason started to sing.

You see me here upon my throne,
The ruler of the seasons, just me alone.

The mighty power within my brew,
Cannot be copied by the likes of you!
So as I begin, watch and learn,
as the fires of my passion begin to burn!

She tossed the first of her ingredients in the cauldron, letting the fires rise up to the sounds of the music, the sounds riding up along with her words. 

Time for my power to shine through,
to overcome the likes of you,
As I make my special brew,
transforming these herbs all into....

A puff of colored smoke came out of her cauldron at that, bringing a smile to Igneous' face at the sight.  It looks like this is the type of battle he was a part of. 

Ben set up at his own cauldron, ready to tackle this ridiculous task.  Or else he would be facing the wrath of a goddess.  Good times, no pressure.  He just needed to start.

I know this game can get you down,
and fear and danger is all you can see.
But it's time to let your spirit shine,
to become what you were meant to be.

He sang as he gathered his ingredients.  This wasn't where his story was going to end- not today.

It's time to show her what you've got,
time to get this potion done.
To become the greatest crafter around,
a helping hand for everyone!

The magic that I'm making,
shown for all the world to see.
Will make the winner of this brew off
be the one and only me!

Yes this magic of mine,
will beautifully shine,
for all Olympus to see!

He sang out, letting the music the satyr was playing bring out his emotions as he did. 

Demeter scowled, taken back by how Ben had taken the lead in this contest.  She was one of the rulers of Olympus- no mortal would best her here! 

Thou mortal stands here in my domain-
where ye shall soon feel naught but pain!
For the power of Olympus is mine you see,
to bathe the contest in my glory!

The music took an ominous turn as she changed her tune, and the smoke from her cauldron began to swirl around her, thrumming with the beat.

The darkness of the winter is mine to call,
with the plentiful bounties of the fall-
The summer's heat that burns all men,
and the spring's regrowth to make it whole again!

I call upon the seasons power!
For my brew to to bloom and flower!

Let my herbs and vines now grow,
Demeter's beauty for all to know!

She threw back her head and laughed as the plant life around her began to move and rapidly grow, throwing pollen and seeds into her cauldron as it continued to billow out more smoke.  She was going all out for this.

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm

Benjamin gathered his strength- no matte how he felt about these quests, it really was life or death for him.  He poured his heart into his new few herbs.  If that smoke engulfed him, it wouldn't be good at all. 

It's time to steel this strength of mine,
it's time to make my stand.
I'll make a shield of magic power,
that I hold in my hand.

Your poison shall not blight this land,
your rage shall be tempered still!
I'll face down your jealous wrath
with the power of my will!

He put the herbs in his cauldron, hoping that it was enough to work, and breathed a sigh of relief as the smoke started rolling back a little. 

Your malicious melodies will not bring me down,
it's time to turn the battle around!

He tossed another handful of materials into the cauldron and focused, ready to show off his skills.  He was going to win this contest!

Demeter's smoke wasn't working.  Worse still, the contest's judge was seeming to favor her opponent!  She was the mightiest, and would prove it!

You shall feel my anger and wrath,
as I forge upon this path,
to bring forth my magic's spark,
and and plunge your efforts into the dark!

She pushed even more effort into her magic, infusing the alchemical mixture of the cauldron with it, engulfing the sphere of light the Benjamin had with dark smoke and magic. 

And now I strike you back
with my final attack.
Your light I over take,
and make Olympus quake!

She called out, letting her magic flow into her cauldron rapidly, overwhelming the materials she used to make it in the first place and starting to spiral out of control.  This was going to be her final act, and she would have victory for sure!  She was a goddes!  She was perfect!  She! Was! Not! Uncool!

Ben felt the force of the smoke engulfing him, pushing his will back, and making his body burn.  He had one last chance to pull this off- making the most powerful safeguard potion he'd ever made in his life.  He pulled the last few herbs off the ingredient benches and quickly measured them. 

It's time to bring this all together,
to make a potion strong and pure.
You may be bringing all the poison,
but I'm the one to bring the cure!

As I call upon my inner light,
to rise on up and get things done.
I'll be the one in here to stop you,
once this contest I have won!

The materials went into the mixture, and Ben focused on mixing them up properly.  Demeter's smoke came even closer... before puttering out and starting to be pushed back, Ben's recipe's light spreading out and engulfing the whole garden.  The smoke was gone, and Demeter's potion lay flat and inert. 

Demeter leaned against her ingredient table, gasping for air.  Even if you didn't hear the cheering from the judge, it was pretty obvious who had pulled off victory today.  Ben pulled himself up as well, exhausted from the strange fight he had just been in, and stumbled over to one of the nearby tables in the garden.  There were some cold drinks there, and he didn't care what they were- just that they would quench his thirst.  Demeter, after a minute of just looking angry, also came over to grab a drink.  For the next few minutes, the two of them were just sitting at the table, silently recovering from the ordeal.  Interrupted by the occasional stops of Igneous bringing them snacks to help out.  Maybe he wasn't such a pain in the butt after all.  Though he wasn't going to be much help talking down the angry goddess next to him right now. 

Demeter was the first one who broke the silence.  Well mortal, I believe that the contest is concluded.  You have shown your power to be greater than mine in this case- just take your reward and be done with it. she said gruffly.  She was obviously not happy about this outcome, and wasn't shy about showing it.  Ben... didn't feel comfortable leaving it like that.  Hey, look, you were, um, you...  You were  out of control there.  I don't know what those other players said to you, but if you want to talk we can. 

I don't need your pity, mortal! she shouted.  I am the most powerful ruler of the seasons, even if YOUR kind doesn't seem to care at all.  She said a lot more quietly.  Even if they don't care. 

Hey, that's not true.  A lot of the players are just afraid of your power.  I mean, no offense, you're pretty scary when you go all out like that. 

Yea!  That's right! Igneous chimed in.  You were a lot cooler before you started to do the whole angry, poison everyone with doom thingy. 

Ben nodded, adding in Well, yes.  A lot of players will just mouth off to anyone they find.  And they tend to get themselves in some bad situations because of it.  Some even get killed.  But that doesn't change the fact that you are still pretty kick ass.  I don't think that anyone who saw that could doubt those powers are cool. 

That seemed to put her into thought.  It was pretty amazing on how realistic some of these NPCs could be, even with feelings of inadequacy.  All right mortal- I will accept that for now.  You will take the cauldron you used in the battle today, and have it help increase your power in the future.  And... you will not spread word of this to others.  I will work on dealing with your kind better, and I don't want weird rumors interfering with that. 

Thank you.  And thanks for your hospitality.  I shall use your gift well, and depart in peace. he said with a bow.  It seemed that things had worked out well today, and he would have something to help him with And hopefully, now that she got it out of her system, Demeter might be a bit calmer for the next person who challenged her.  At least it wouldn't be his worry now. 

Thread Summary:

Spoiler

2 SP (20 posts for 1 SP, 1 SP from quest)
400 col (20 posts of RP)
Item - Demeter's Cauldron - +1 CD [Unique]