[PP-F2] A Nightly Encounter

- 2nd floor, Outskirts of Urbus, 2022 Cage Bar, 0324am

With one smooth movement Aereth set down a small, now empty, glass on the table. He was sitting in a dark corner of his usual bar at the outskirts of Urbus. It was once again that time of the day where Aereth would retreat from his daily duties of gathering information in the underground. It was a pretty rundown bar with mostly orange players walking in and out. Usually pretty dangerous, but Aereth could care less. While very well being capable of proving his strength in a fight, he knew exactly that there were many players that could easily smack his face in if they wanted, but the fact that he was the person with the highest kill count on the monument in combination with the rumors that he was working with the Laughing Coffin made them respect... no, fear the consequences of what might happen if somebody wanted to try his luck with him. 

Lately he had only worked to rebuild his information broker network, that had been infiltrated and effectively destroyed by members of the laughing coffin. Nowadays he wasn't relying on others as much as before, and did most of the research about matters of interests on his own. Ever since Thea decided that she didn't want to see him anymore, for reasons that he didn't completely knew and understood, Aereth was simply trying to keep his mind occupied with other things. He of course had at least... a sh*tton of guesses as to why she left so abruptly without even talking to him once.

Sure, their relationship was by no means a healthy one, with: both of them relying on the other to keep themselves going forward, him being the most feared and dangerous player in Aincrad, still not being over Alice's death, still not being able to let anybody else completely into his heart, (wow, he really was a sh*tty person) but leaving without even one word... 

He lightly shook his head, feeling how anger and disappointment started getting the better of him. That was the past. Quite some time passed since that, and he had once again pulled up the high walls around his heart. He was back on the path of revenge, and he would never again let anything distract him from his goals.

@Hestia

Edited by Aereth

I sigh softly as i make my way towards a bar that supposedly was the last seen location of the man i have been looking for. This cage bar they call it having at my side my familiar, and myself wearing my combat gear encase things go south fast and end up in some sort of fight. My familiar glancing up to me ever so slightly nervously as i just pet his head gently and affectionately with a kind smile. Don't worry Kuro i'm sure this won't go as bad as i'm prepping for. Teion did say the man wasn't a actually bad person. I can only hope what she believes is correct since i'm risking my life on her opinion of him. I say to my familiar to try and calm him down which works to a degree as he seems to calm down. I nod my head with a smile glad that my familiar which is a lion with wings as black as night and fur as white as the snow has calmed down. Finding it funny a creature that is of the species it is and the size of a St.Bernard could get scared easily. However, it is rather sweet when he does so since it shows that he at least cares for my safety.

I make my way through the outskirts until i spot the building and its name as i take one last calming breathe before i enter the place and sees that this might get more dangerous then what i had hoped. Seeing only orange players, and myself the only green crystal player in the establishment. 'find Aereth. Reputation should work to scare people.' I think to myself quickly as i look around the bar looking for the man as fast as i humanly can, and then spots the player in question at one of the corner of the bar. 'Bingo.' i then quickly make my way towards him looking at the man with my blue colored eyes as my black hair moves quickly through the air as i speed walk my way over towards what i can only assume is one of the most infamous players if it isn't Death Adder.

Taking the half empty whiskey bottle, the brunette started to refill the small glass he just set down on the table. After all this time in Aincrad, Aereth still hoped to somehow find a way to get himself drunk. Be it through a bug in the system or maybe even a little loophole purposely implemented by some crazy developer. And even if there were no possibilities to get yourself drunk, Aereth always felt a strange feeling of nostalgia and serenity when he was tasting the dry and oaky taste of the golden liquid in front of him. And hey, no being drunk means no hangover the next day.

Just as he finished refilling his glass a seemingly odd player entered the room. But the odd thing on the player wasn't her appearance, or familiar. No it funnily was the fact that she was the only player in the bar with a green cursor. The other players in the bar also noticed that and started to look at her as she seemingly started to search for somebody. Was she looking for trouble? Aereth couldn't say for sure. It wouldn't have been the first time some green player would enter the bar trying to accuse somebody of a crime and wanting to bring them to justice. But he didn't recognize the armor, so she most definitely wasn't from one of those righteous guilds that tried to make Aincrad a better place. He chuckled inwardly at that memory. "Didn't end well the last time...." That brawl was quite amusing back then.

But nonetheless, when he noticed the female player making eye contact, and then walking towards his table, the brunette couldn't help but to slowly make sure his weapon was ready. The phase katana was leaning against the wall just to the left of him, ready to be taken at any moment. He knew that he wouldn't be able to hurt anybody inside of the safe zone with that weapon, but one should never underestimate the psychological effect such a weapon can have at somebody...

With his right hand he took the glass and slowly prepared to take a sip. "Don't you think its kinda late to be alone out at this time of the night?" he smoothly asked the girl as she arrived at his table in the corner of the bar, still with the gazes from some of the other players on her. 

@Hestia

I continue to make my way towards Aereth's table ignoring the looks that i am getting from everyone within the bar. Knowing that i can't be harmed by these people at the very least since i am within the safe zone. I glance around making sure that nobody gets close having learned a small lesson that even if i can't be hurt being trapped for a unknown amount of time is entirely possible by people within this room if they decide that having a player with a green cursor is to much of a danger for whatever reason. My familiar sticking close to me and would growl at anyone that would try to get close to me in any manner. Eventually i reach the player's table and looks down at the man and grins a bit. Rather glad that the information about the location, and the description match up to at least the person they are describing. Now it is only a matter of seeing if it is who i am looking for.

I take a seat at the table that you sit at and looks at you with a smile. It may be a bit late out, but i think i can manage myself just fine. I may not look like much to some, but i can defend myself evening then. I'm looking for a man by the name of Aereth. Do you happen to know him? I ask in a calm manner not wiling to give away the common person that himself and i know which is Tieon. Remembering quite well that there are people who are out to harm her, and with one being strong enough to get past my mitigation to a frightening amount.  I am looking for the man to see what his side of the tale of his life within here is.

“A confident one...” Aereth mentally mused as he watched how the he girl took a seat at his table. “Seems to have some information about me, but I don’t know her..”

Just before the glass touched his lips, the brunette cast a glance around the bar, effectively making everyone except a few bold ones turn away as if to say that they better stayed out of his business. Ignoring the few that resisted he finally took a sip of his drink, enjoying every moment as the golden liquid went down his throat and by the time he set down the glass again all the other players that refused to stop staring also finally averted their gazes.

Smiling women were always dangerous, especially when they had information they shouldn't have from people who shouldn't have told them. He needed to be careful. And he needed to find out who leaked information about him. "If you say so..." he said with a shrug before continuing. "And that depends on who is asking and what they are paying." The brunette added while leaning back against the backrest of his chair. "Assuming I would know who he is, why would somebody want to meet that cold hearted killer?" he asked before rising an eyebrow at her last statement. "Believe me girl, I know this and that about him, and you really don't even want to know..."

@Hestia

I'm asking the name is Hestia i'm from a guild called the Holy Dragon Alliance, and i'm not wishing to pay for this information. I'm wanting to get to know the person that managed to make a purple haired girl like him so much. Got rather emotional and claimed his defense isn't as cold as ice as his reputation could make others believe. I say calmly thinking back to how vocal Teion got when i simply referred to Aereth as a murderer that needs to be stopped. I just look at the man with a smile as i take out a notebook and pen from my inventory and just opens it up and goes through a list of names and people and some descriptions. "Beatbox- brother of Telrenya, and was out for making Aincrad better, Hero complex got him killed by Death Adder" "Mack- Former guild leader. Kind man, Funny,  Guided new players."  "Opal- Habit of drinking. Possibly KIA" "Aereth- Most kills, insane? Teion vouches kindness." .  I'm slowly making a list of everyone that was in Aincrad who had passed away, or people who could end up just disappearing. I want to make sure everyone's story is told when we escape from here, and the infamous killer who supposedly is kind has my interest. I'm curious how he got where he is today. Most kills listed on the monument, and surprisingly nobody wanting to kill him. I say in a calm tone of voice as i look the man in the eyes. I'm trying my best to make sure that names don't fade away, and that i can figure out how much has changed since when people first started out fighting through floors and when i started actually doing the same. With that i am certain are a few tales of people that once were heroes, and villains that have faded away by now.

Holy Dragon Alliance was ringing a bell somewhere in the back of his head, and when the girl mentioned something about a purple haired girl that seemed to like him so much, he felt how his stomach turned. There was only one purple haired woman inside of this hell that, at least THOUGHT to know how he really was. If it wasn't for his impressive self control, the brunette would have attempted to smashed the table in front of them into pieces. In the end only a low and disapproving "Pah. Liked him?" escaped his lips after Hestia finished her comment. "Nobody likes that man. That guy almost got me killed some time ago." Aereth said, thinking back to his suicide attempt, so in reality he wasn't even completely lying to Hestia.

He then silently watched her taking out a notebook from her inventory before she continued explaining to him how she was attempting to make some kind of a list of missing and dead players also implying that she was adding some players that she assumed would also bite the dust or disappear in the near future.

"Nice..." he thought, before letting out a sigh. So all he got out of that small monologe was that she had received information about him from Thea, she was nosy aaaaas f*ck and from that last passage in combination with her confident comment about her safety from before, that she most probably was a frontliner. 

"Look, girl. I'm just a simple information broker. I trade information for money, so I still don't completely understand why you would want to take the big risk of searching for one of the most dangerous players of Aincrad. Just to satisfy your desire for knowledge? Enough people want his head for one reason or the other. So don't think nobody wants to kill him, that bit of info is for free, but if you want me to tell you some more tings about him, its gonna cost you."

After emptying his glass he added. "Or you can provide me with information that is of equal worth as the things you want to know..."

@Hestia

yeah Teion liked Aereth to the point where she practically snapped at me when i gave her the description of what i thought he was based on his personality. Just a crazy murderer who was dangerous to everyone within this game and needed to be stopped. However, she got really emotional and told me i didn't understand who this Aereth person was, so i am now trying to understand the man who seemed to get the girl that is normally cold as ice to get such a reaction from. I tell you rather curious why this Aereth person would've lete someone guy if he attempted to kill them. SO if Aereth did almost kill you why would he let you go then? Seems from his long list that those he deems should die will without any exceptions. I ask the man as i then realize something. Wait. What even is your name? I ask the man in from of me who claims to just be a information broker.

Also i am willing to risk my life because i believe in my own capability to outlast Aereth long enough to convince him i mean no harm at all, and to talk things out before he kills himself by my thorns, or he tries to kill me with whatever method he uses for combat. As for motivation i've told you before. I write down everyone i come across to make sure there name are never forgotten, and i'm willing to listen to the story from the man himself. Not some half-a**ed rumors that could just be based on his actions rather then the person himself. I'm taking to heart some advice i have been given, and i'm willing to try it where i had failed trying it with someone else. To not judge anymore based on what i here and presume, but rather on the person and there actions. So i ask you mister information broker if you can tell me where Aereth is i would like to actually see what this man is like rather then what the rumors paint him as. I say once more as i then pause and chuckles nervously. Umm whoops. i guess i rambled a bit. I am sorry.

Another sigh escaped the brunette as she rambled on about how Thea was defending him. That she was getting emotional about him. Bullsh*t. If she at least saw his as a friend, she would have talked with him before turning her back on him with nothing more than a quick note that was left behind in his shop. His patience was slowly but surely leaving him. "I didn't say that HE almost killed me. I said that I almost got killed BECAUSE of him. And my name is unimportant."

He then opened up his inventory, quickly storing away the leftover bottle of whiskey, before paying and fetching a small piece of paper from an inner pocket of his coat. "We are running cycles around each other. You don't want my information about him? You want to talk with him in person? Fine. I'll arrange a meeting between the two of you. And even though I can't believe I'm saying this, it's free this time if you leave me in peace for now." he placed the small paper face down on the table and slid it over to her. "Make sure nobody follows you, and come to that location in about 30 minutes. But you owe me a favor for that. I'll remember you little miss frontline tank." with that he got up and began to leave the bar, immediately activating his sneak skill to vanish into the night. 

Aereth entered stealth. 

Note:

West end of the High Field of Crossing

@Hestia

I blink a bit at what just happened as i look down at the note in front of me. I think i might've angered the wrong person possibly. I say softly to myself having not expected this to quickly get to this point, or even reach this point at all from this conversation. 'note to self in the future. Just take information where you can get it cause you might piss off the wrong people.' I think to myself as i get up and quickly makes my way towards the high field of crossing whistling for my familiar to follow me as he does so. Quickly exiting the bar and making my way towards the destination where the broker said to be at to meet this Aereth. Feeling a sense of nervousness and worry rising from that fact alone. Just thinking of how agitated and possibly even angered the broker was, and what that could mean with what he would be willing to share with Aereth about why i am wishing to talk to him. Knowing that if the broker simply wanted me gone for one reason or the other he could tell the famous killer that i am there to try and stop him or some such thing. Then there is the fact he mentioned a favor that being another thing that is slightly worrying since a favor means anything and everything could be asked of me. 'Keep calm Ember just don't mess up, and keep calm. It probably won't be anything horrendous the broker would ask for. Maybe just for information about yourself or where something is.' I think to myself to try and quell my growing worries as i enter the High Field of Crossing. Having just entered the furthest most perimeter of it as i slowly start going deeper into it scanning the area to try and find any shape or such that could reveal the person i am meant to meet. Wearing my combat armor still.

Aereth was so close to just call it a day and let the girl wait just to see her never again, but something inside of him told him that if he wouldn't give her what she wanted, she would pry even more, be even more eager to find him. But he already had something in mind where she and her work could prove to be very useful for him. That journal she carried with her all the time...  "If I handle this right, it might bring me closer to finally reach my goal...

It only took him some minutes to reach the meeting point, even though he changed directions multiple times in order to loose any individuals that could have followed him. The only difference in appearance from before, was that he dismissed his coat, and was now only wearing his full battle gear. 

He immediately spotted the woman, and while walking up to her, he deactivated his stealth skill, and greeted. "So you really came. I was half expecting, half hoping that you wouldn't." he said as he approached her. "I didn't want to talk to you in there. Too many eyes and ears. I like to stay anonymous in public, since I indeed AM an info broker. And not many players would come to me if they knew who I was. They might know my name, but not the face to it. Anyways... What do you want?"

@Hestia

I calmly wait in the fields for any signs of this Aereth not really expecting much from the man to actually appear. Figuring that the man being able to bring the guy to this location in thirty minutes being highly unlikely. However, i am willing to at least see the possibility if it can  come to fruition. Giving the man ten minutes or less to show up before i would deem him a no show and for this to have just been a dead end like a few other attempts when i tried to meet him. However, it seems i didn't need to wait that long as a voice speaks out the information broker from earlier. I turn to face the individual and grins a bit at hearing that this is the person i was looking for. I told you back at the tavern Aereth i want to get to know the person behind all the talk and rumors. I don't care to put too much of my own faith into such a thing when they are usually based off of feelings and ideas that have spread from person to person. Which leaves you where you are currently a man with the rumor of basically being a monster with probably little to no remorse for those you kill and want to kill. A man with the highest kill count so you're probably a bit unstable based on that. However, since i've been told otherwise i want to see who you actually are in terms of personality and such. Basically i'm asking if you want a friend, and if you wouldn't mind a goody two shoes such as myself fitting that bill. I say summing up my ideas as best as i can.

Calmly listening what the girl in front of him said, the orange player couldn’t help but to wonder how naive she really was. Wanting to gather information about deceased players so they won’t be forgotten was one thing, but was she really suggesting that the two of them should become friends? 

“Listen. You shouldn’t even be here to begin with. And you most definitely don’t want to be associated with me. Something like that could, and most probably will end with you regretting the day you met me. If you don’t believe me, let me start to explain. Yes I did kill each and every one of those players with crossed out names and my username beside it. I hunted down most of them like they were nothing more than simple MOBs and killed them without hesitation and regret.” He crossed his arms over his chest and continued in a cold voice. “But let me ask you something. If you really pride yourself about finding out reasoning and past stories of dead players: Did you do any research on anybody that I killed? I’m curious. You say that you want to collect information about the ones that lost their lives in here. So tell me, what do you know about them? They all had one thing in common. Everybody has a reason as to why he or she is doing something, and why they are dead now. Nobody is good or evil per say. Everybody has a story. But my story is none of your business.”

@Hestia

I listen to what you say with a calm disposition waiting to hear the whole thing before passing any judgement possible. Although hearing that players died like they were just simple mobs to kill and dispose of is rather disturbing to hear no matter the situation. That they were treated like beings with very little emotional capacity, and not as the human beings they are. I then pause at that thought and think of some killers and some people that get joy out of causing terror and such, and i just nod my head thinking that killing such people in theory within the laws of this game would be a fair assessment. One that i would still like to change once i can figure out how to make a prison could actually work out. Finding that killing such as non-human beings is almost a normal thing since those who cause terror for their own self pleasure shouldn't be considered with having anything to deem them to be treated with much respect in a fight against them.

I do chuckle ever so slightly at hearing the phrase pride myself over that as i shake my head. I don't think i pride myself over that. Since this is just something i work on when i think i have the time to do so. I primarily more so focus on keeping Aincrad as safe as i can by helping out lower leveled players to get stronger till they can fight against mobs on their own two feet to prepare them for any player killers that could try to kill them. I guess i can say that is something i feel pride for? The fact i make my stay within this game for the goal of protecting as many people as i humanly can. Also for the people you killed i know nothing about them since i wouldn't even know where to begin besides going towards the one who killed them to figure out his reasoning of doing so. With finding someone as infamous as you is a bit difficult, but not impossible. Also i know your story is none of my business, but that doesn't mean i still wouldn't like to hear your story. To try and understand someone before i pass judgement upon them. I say in a calm manner to you.

Aereth sighed. This wasn't going anywhere. That girl was stubborn beyond anything. She could be the best friend of Itzal. His old mentor also devoted himself to protecting the weaker ones and helping them stand on their own feet. They even shared the same naive view on this world. At least they did in Aereth's opinion. 

"A noble goal indeed." he answered, while slowly lowering his arms again. "But let me ask you something. How far would you be willing to go just in order to protect somebody important to you?" It was a heavy question. It was the question Aereth asked himself every day before and even much more after his first kill in this game. How much further would he go? He already outnumbered every other player in regards of kills, so there wasn't much left anymore to top that, and to become even less worth. One thing was already crystal clear. He wouldn't make it out of this game. After everything that happened, that he did inside of Aincrad, he would make this floating castle his grave as well...

I listen to the man and just looks him in the eyes. If you're asking if i would kill somebody i would only use that as a last resort. I would do everything in my power to settle things in a way that wouldn't lead to the death of another. I don't want to continue the cycle of killing that can occur if i would kill somebody. Since if i kill somebody then that somebody's friend would come after me, and i would then have to kill everybody that would come after me. If i died and had friends still then those friends would kill and thus the cycle could continue onward. That is why i am working on building a jail for every player killer who has killed somebody without a just cause for doing so. I want to be able to make sure nobody has to die anymore unnecessarily. That people who deserve to be locked away can just be locked away and we wouldn't have to worry about just people dying over and over. I say to you with a nod of my head. As i wonder what the response will be from that.  However, if it came down to it and there was nothing left to in my power. That it was kill somebody or allow a friend to die. I would kill the person that would dare harm my friend.

@Aereth

• 1 month later...

Aereth just listened quietly to the response of the girl. She was pretty much just like he was before he had to kill his first opponent. But things change, especially if you have to experience how twisted and crazy some players were. How bloodthirsty they can get just because they still think this whole f*cking thing was a game. 

A sigh escaped the brunette. "I was talking and thinking just like you when this whole thing started. But things changed." Aereth answered with closed eyes, finally giving in to the questions and thirst for information of the girl in front of him. "I lost somebody, swore to find those players, and to hunt down pretty much any evil PKer in the game. At first I just told myself and everyone that I want to protect those who can't protect themselves. But I lost that attitude a long time ago, cause the real reason was always and will always be: Revenge. Nowadays I'm just dealing with information and doing merc work. And on the nights I go out, hunting down a**holes."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "Two things: Don't tell anybody about this. And call me once you have found that prison you were talking about." The last thing was phrased more as a joke with a sarcastic tone to it. "I've been searching for something like that for 2 years and had no luck."

I nod my head as i listen to what Aereth says as i make sure to remember all of that for later so i can write it down to try and understand more. I look towards the player killer with a curious look. SO you went out and started killing the killers to try and stop all of this since you saw that as the solution? I ask the man curiously as i look down slightly knowing i can't fault him for seeing that as the solution as anything as a alternative wouldn't work at all. My fists tighten as a nod my head at nothing seemingly. 'Okay got to make sure i can get this prison up now. Not later, now so i can try to stop this sooner rather then later.' I think to myself as i look towards the man and grins. I'll make sure to send you a message when i get the prison up and running Aereth. Get ready for having to travel to throw people in jail, so we can try and stop a cycle of killing. I say with a grin on my face as i look at the man with a determined look upon my face. Also, i won't tell anyone. I promise that nobody will know what you have told me Aereth. I say with a nod of my head as i then look at him. Also if you ever need some help send me a message. I can protect you, and i could use your help i am certain if you are as strong as people could assume of what you've been capable of. Then there is the fact i am always up for wanting to get to know you more to try and become friends.

Still Aereth couldn't make himself a clear picture of the girl. He could feel somewhere deep inside of him that she was not ok with what he was doing inside of this floating hell. But why would she then offer him to become an ally, or a friend? Shaking his head for what felt like the 100th time this evening the brunette answered, while looking up to the night sky. "Like I said, this was my way of thinking back when I first became a PKKer. But now I can at least be honest to myself and others." A light breeze made some lonely strands of his brown hair dance around his head. "As of right now, I don't care about such things much anymore. You can't put an end to all the killing in Aincrad. You can't save everyone. And if you try this world breaks you. Revenge... That's the only thing I want. I will search, find and kill every Laughing Coffin member that I manage to get my hands on until I find those guys I'm looking for.

"And thanks for offering me your assistance, but you seriously don't want to be associated with me. I have no doubt that YOU can protect yourself, but I'm sure many of your friends cannot. Believe me. I have quite some experience with that."

I shrug my shoulders ever so slightly at Aereth's words as i look towards him. I know i can't stop killing everywhere, and that i can't protect everyone. However, if i don't try to at least minimize that to the maximum amount that i can then i'm not doing what i should be doing. Trying to protect as many people as i can by stopping the most killers with the method i think that is right. I will make the prison that i think will work, and start imprisoning those who have killed unjustly. With doing so eventually all killings will slowly dwindle and put caution and hesitance into the heart of killers knowing they could be locked up next. Until then you can continue your method if you wish to do so, and i will continue to do mine. However, even with the difference i still wouldn't mind getting to know you as a person rather then just this legend or myth others could see you as from only knowing your reputation. Plus you do mean good in the end i have that feeling. I say with a nod of my head with a smile as i enjoy the cool night breeze as it moves through the area where we are just relaxing and talking at. As for my friends i am always just one message away from them, and they are fairly strong themselves. I say confidently knowing that is somewhat a lie. Knowing that Spencer is still rather weak and very vulnerable to being hurt and damaged by stronger players who could try to use him as some kind of bait or trap to get to myself or other guild members if they managed to do so somehow.