{PP-F8} Into the Woods <<Monkey King>> COMPLETE!

It was evening, dark clouds covered the typically sunny floor's sky, casting the forest in a dim light. While there was usually a breeze on Floor 8, the wind had picked up, and the trees whipped back and forth violently, leaves dancing on the howling gales. Pinball stood in front of his shop, leaning against the cabin's smooth wooden door. It might rain, he thought contentedly, a feeling of warmth spreading through his body. It practically never rains on this floor. With a hum, still watching the clearing in front of his shop, he gripped the doorknob, and leaned backwards into the stone cabin. Taking a step inside, he had to push to shut the door; the winds were so strong. When it was shut, the winds blowing fiercely outside, he swiped open his menu. He had been rather unproductive as of late, and he wanted to get a quest done before the rain came and before night fell. Pinball, still humming, pushed back in one of the shop's few chairs, the front legs raising ever so slightly. After he was finished typing the message, he closed his menu quickly, closing his eyes and enjoying the sound of the wind rattling his windows. 

Spoiler

To: @Reinholt

Subject: N/A 

I don't know if you've ever been to my shop, but now would be a good time. I'm getting robbed by a gang of players. Hiding under my counter. Come quickly. Floor 8. Just run through the spawn, at an angle slightly to the left; I don't know the exact location, but my shop is hard to miss. Hurry. 

Edited by Pinball
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reinholt was in Nimbus on the 7th floor. Just hanging out in an Inn, browsing the boards. He stifles a yawn, just as a message came in. He lazily opens it. Eh, it's Pinball. What does he want?.. He thinks to himself as he starts to read it.

Spoiler

Subject: N/A 

I don't know if you've ever been to my shop, but now would be a good time. I'm getting robbed by a gang of players. Hiding under my counter. Come quickly. Floor 8. Just run through the spawn, at an angle slightly to the left; I don't know the exact location, but my shop is hard to miss. Hurry. 

After the first line he had set up, quickly reading the rest. With an loud curse he sprints out of the inn, knocking his table over and a couple of players down. Damnit Pin. I'm coming.. with that he sprints through the streets and toward the teleporter. He slides to a stop in the teleporter. "Teleport Florenthia!" He shouts and instantly dematerializes, only to materialize on the 8th floor. As soon as he could move he was sprinting. Cursing under his breath as he runs, he covers the distance pretty quick. He follows the poor directions and soon finds himself in clearing facing a stone cottage near a single tree. As he nears the building he draws Darukai, taking his sword in both hands he slams his shoulder into the door. Crashing through the door, he slides to a stop, his sword ready and his eyes scanning the room...only to find Pinball relaxing in a chair and no one else in the room. "Pin.." He pants, deeply winded from running all that way. "What..the...hell?"

Edited by Reinholt

Pinball's chair hit the floor as the door slammed open, the harsh wind filling the shop's room. It wasn't a swivel-chair, but Pinball scooted around so he was facing the man standing in the doorway. "Greetings, child," he said calmly, his eyes closed. Then he stood with a start, the howling of the wind getting to be too much for Pinball to bear. "One sec'," he said, rushing over, pushing past Reinholt, and pushing the door closed. "It's gonna storm soon," he murmured to himself, making his way back over to his chair. "Hey, Rein," he said, relaxing back into his seat. "Do you wanna... Oh! Right. Guest." He stood from his chair, walking over to the shop's counter, hopping over it with an, "Umph." He started fiddling with things in his kitchen, calling out to Reinholt, "You can sit down if you want. Do you drink tea? Or coffee? Apple cider? Just.." There was a crash, followed by a sharp, "Damn it!" Then he continued speaking. "What drink? And do you want any snacks or anything? All sorts of goodies back here.

Reinholt glares at Pinball as he brushes past him to close the door. He had already realized that Pinball was fibbing about being robbed. He's lucky I like him. Reinholt thinks to himself sourly as he sheathes his cobalt blade and flops into a chair. He is silent as Pinball searches his kitchen and smirks at the loud crash. "Yeah, I'll take a drink -and- a bite to eat since you thought it would be fun to make me run all the way here from where I was staying at on the 7th floor. I ought to bop you on your head for that. And next time you want my company, just ask. I used to be a Cop IRL and I literally ran all the way here, like a fool." He grumbles and leans back in his chair. Looking around the shop he make an appreciative face. The kid had a nice little place here. "Didn't know you had a shop, Pinhead. What, are you a cook?"

A moment passed. "Yeah, that's fair," he said. He came back out into the small front room holding a surprisingly fancy looking plate and a metallic platter. "am a cook," he said happily, pulling up a foldable chair with a foot, the trays held up in both hands. For someone so naturally clumsy, the teenager seemed to be able to serve food fairly well. Setting the cup on the table first, which upon further inspection turned out to be a cup of Hot Chocolate, because, as Pinball explained, "It's getting chilly out, what with the... weather." Pinball then set the platter on the table next to the cup, revealing an assortment of sweets; brownies, cookies, donuts. The works. Pinball's personal tastes were evident in the types of snacks he served. With that, Pinball pulled up another chair, sitting a bit to the side near the still fireplace. Leaning back again, he smiled. "You're a cop?" He laughed. "Good thing I didn't bring my," he said this next part with a wheeze, "crack cocaine with me." Realizing that might not have been a very smart thing to say, his face went slack. "Joke. Joking. Bad joke." He waved a dismissive hand.

Reinholt reaches over and picks up a donut. He holds it up and smirks at Pinball. "So cliche Pin. I thought you were better than that." With a chuckle he dips the donut into the hot chocolate before taking a bite. "Mhm. That's good." He says between bites and then touches his eyepatch "Used to be. An explosion made sure I'm not anymore. They don't much let cops run around with one eye. So by all means, do all the crack you want I'm not going to stop you." Grinning he takes a big gulp of his Hot chocolate and grabs a cookie, leaning back to get comfortable. "So what's up? You just enjoy my company that much you had to have me rush over here? He takes a bite of the cookie and nods, making the 'this is really good' motions with his hands and gives a thumbs up. This was some of the best sweets he'd has in game.

He nodded happily as Reinholt started eating his food, glad he was enjoying it. Cooking was way easier in the game than in real life, he knew, but for him, it was a fun way to pass the time regardless - especially since he could make items that had granted buffs. Cliche? What? Pinball just grinned, unsure of what he meant by that... Oh. OH. He burst into laughter, the chair falling forward, back to the ground, his hand smacking his knee with a slap that filled the room. "Yeah, yeah," he chuckled, the laughter dying down. Definitely an intentional thing. That you did. Yep. Pinball watched his hand trail to his eyepatch, curious. Why does he still wear one, even in-game? He didn't ask; maybe he was just more comfortable with it. Pinball started leaning back again, relying on the balance of the chair to keep him from falling. "Well, now that you ask," he said with a flair, implying he had been waiting for Reinholt to ask that, "I actually wanted to do a quest. But it's pretty dangerous, and I just wanted to know if you'd be down for it.

Reinholt smiles and chuckles with Pinball. He honestly didn't know if Pinball realized what he did before he did it or a happy coincidence. Either way it was a good laugh for the both of them. After the laughter had died down he watches the curious look across Pinball's face and means forward. "Hold habits die hard. Plus, I don't want to get used to have two eyes again, then go back to having the one when we get out of this game." He answers the unasked question. He had gotten it alot from other players so he already knew what what was going through Pinball's head. He listens to the bit about a dangerous quest and taps his fingers on the table, as if he was in deep thought. After a couple moments and bangs his fist lightly on the table and grins. "Danger is my middle name. Plus I'm always good to grind out some levels, find some treasure and the whole shebang. Just don't drudge up another one of those river monsters, eh?"

Pinball nodded; Reinholt's explanation pretty much confirmed his suspicions. "That's fair," he said, closing his eyes for a moment, propping up and leaning on his hand. "Your middle name," he echoed, then shot up, a grin on his face. With a slap to the table, he was shouting now, "Now that's the spirit!" Pinball pushed his chair aside as he stood, grabbing and scarfing down a brownie as he opened his menu, backing away from the room. "One second," he said in-between bites, "gotta change." He was only wearing a plain, light, casual outfit now, not nearly resembling the darker, beat up leathers of his armor and the clothes he wore under it. Pinball ducked into a room towards the back of his shop, and he came back out in half a minute, wearing his combat armor. His spear wasn't on his back, however. He walked back into the front room, where he had served Reinholt. "Alright," he said finally, looking out the window, "you ready to head out?" Pinball scratched his chin, looking back out the window. "It's looking like it's going to storm," he said, "but it should be fine.

Reinholt was already in his combat gear. It was pretty much what he stayed in unless he was going to sleep or some such. At the mention of a storm he opens his menu and searches through his inventory. After a moment, a ragged looking, grey hooded appears over his armor. It was made from a heavy cloth. He rises to his feet and stretches, stifling a yawn. "I'm ready, if you are. Storm or no storm, we'll be fine. I'm sure." He spins on his heel and makes his way to the door, trying to open the door gently even in the wind. With a grunt he steps outside, the wind whipping at his poncho. "So whats the quest we're going on anyway?" He says over the wind, pulling the hood of his poncho up. He didn't much care for the weather. Hopefully it would pass pretty quick. "What floor is it on? This one or a different one. I honestly have been up here on the 8th much, so I dont know what quests there even are up here."

He watched curiously as Reinholt pulled a raggedy cloak from his inventory, equipping the item quickly. The man sure was quick to get going. Maybe he just wants to get this done, Pinball thought curiously. The wind was only getting worse as they pushed their way outside. Pinball pulled the door shut, struggling a moment because of the sheer intensity of the gales, but eventually, he managed to close it. Tapping the doorknob once and bringing up the interface, he selected the "lock" option. With a click, the door locked, and Pinball turned around, his hair blowing in the wind. Maybe I should have brought a cloak, he thought. "The quest is called the Monkey King," he said finally, "and yes, it is on this floor. It's also super dangerous for low leveled players." Pinball skipped ahead, heading further into the forest where he'd find the King's quest. "But don't let that worry ya none. We can be in and out. Lightning fast. Pew pew.

Edited by Pinball

Reinholt grimaced against the wind. "Yeah, as long as we don't get struck by lightning or tossed in a tornado I think we'll be fine." He looks around and shrugs his shoulders. "The fastest way to the front line is getting as much XP as I can. If that means taking chances, then so be it. Not to mention I picked up some new sword skills that I think will be nice. So lead the way, pal. Maybe if this storm blows over we can find some other trouble to get into." He had to hold the sides of the poncho so it wouldn't go flying into his face. The wind was crazy, but this Monkey King sounded pretty interesting and he trusted Pinball. If he said everything would be gold, it would be to fine, but he did have a potion or two he could use if he thought he would need it.

"Yeah, as long as we don't get struck by lightning or tossed in a tornado I think we'll be fine."  CRACK! A bolt of lightning streaked across the dark, grey sky, momentarily brightening the now dim and dreary forests. Rain started pouring hard now, feeling like icy cold bullets coming down in waves. Pinball was silent for a moment, his hands held by his side as he slowed to a stop. They hadn't gotten far from his shop, yet, but already Pinball was longing to return. Maybe they could do the quest another day? He considered it. No, he finally decided with a silent shake of the head, just get it over with now. You can come home and dry off when you've finished. Pinball glanced over to Reinholt. "Thanks for that, guy," he said, before pushing on deeper into the forest. Their goal was a village where the town was suspended in the trees; but their quest would take them down into what lurks below. The belly of the beast. 

Reinholt stood there, unflinching as the thunder bolt streaked across the sky. Then icy cold rain picked up and he stood there, staring at Pinball. His big frame silhouetted in the dark and icy rain. "Hey, you're the one who faked a robbery, just so you could get me here and we could go on this quest. This is your fault. Not mine." He says grumbling, shaking his head. The poncho did very little, well nothing, against the cold rain, so he was a bit surly. The prospect of getting some massive XP and lord knows what else from this quest was nice, but the rain was making this not as much fun as it was last time. "Let's go find this things lair so we can at least hopefully get out of this weather." He says, his face almost completely obscured by shadows and rain. For some reason, the weather probably, he was suddenly super grumpy.

The two made good time. Thanks to Pinball's seemingly perfect memory of the forests, they were able to get to the village, accept the quest, and begin their descent into the Monkey King's lair in under thirty minutes. As he climbed down, trying to not fall into the pit, rain stinging his eyes, he said to Reinholt, "OK! So, game plan." He hopped the rest of the way down, sending up a cloud of dirt. It was dark; they could only just barely see anything. There was a seemingly endless pit of grass, dead and dying, and a seemingly endless amount of loose dirt. Boulders and the odd, rotting, twisted tree littered the area. Far across from them, lie a huge, black boulder.  "I'm going to attack it. Thing is; I don't know its exact stats. Nor do I know the amount of damage I do." He clucked his tongue, spinning around to face Reinholt. "So! Maybe you should just sit back? I can try to finish it like we did in Case of Wurms." Pinball swiped open his menu, materialized one of the three teleportation crystals he owned, and tossed it to Reinholt. "If you get hit, and you're still alive, use that to dip. Like... immediately. Even if it seems like I'm going to be able to hit it. Capiche? Don't argue with me on that, young man." As soon as the boy finished speaking, the boulder suddenly moved. Two, blood red eyes opened, and the Monkey King pushed itself up with a deep growl. Pinball spun around, yanking his spear free. 

"Reinholt! Remember the plan! Stay back!" Pinball charged forward, Zomekko's gaseous body swirling around his weapon, the spear itself glowing purple. Little red sparks zipped and zapped as he ran; he had activated charge. With a cry, Pinball jumped forward, spear raised. Letting loose a horrendous roar, the Monkey King thumped its chest with a huge fist. Seeing Pinball charging it, the Monkey King threw a right hook at Pinball; the boy responded instinctually, spinning to the side and laughing at the attack that went wide. Pinball closed the distance with a single bound, and unleashed his Sword Art. The Monkey King shrieked, slamming the ground as Pinball darted away, putting some more distance between it. Spit dribbled from the King's mouth as it snarled, clutching the torso that now housed four stab wounds and a large, red gash down its side. Pinball grinned, then looked to Reinholt. "Careful, now."

Sent [x1] Teleportation Crystal to Reinholt ~ (2 in Inventory Remaining) 

Player Stats:

Spoiler

Level: 31

Health: 620 | Energy: 62

DMG: 15 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

Skills:

Combat skills:

<<Charge>> [5/50]: Rank 1 - Novice

Weapon skills:

►<<2H Assault Spear>> [50/50]: Rank 5 - Grandmaster

Armor skills:

►N/A

Extra skills:

<<Fishing>>

<<Familiar Mastery: Fighter>> [18/18]: Rank 3 - Grandmaster

►<<Martial Arts>> [0/50]: N/A

Modifiers:

►<<2H Assault Spear>> Ferocity: +1 Base DMG

Inventory

»[Equipped] [Demonic] Naughty or Nice Blade: +2 Freeze, Phase, Cursed

»[Equipped] [Perfect] Leather Armor of the Amatuer Duelist: +3 EVA

»[Equipped] [Perfect] Warrior’s Focus: +3 ACC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Combat- 

Action Taken: Sword Art - [Weeping Moon] [-17 EN]

ID# 99985  BD: 5+3= 8 (Hit!) MD: 6-3= 3 (Miss!) 

Pinball attacks Monkey King - Dimension Stampede w/ Charge! (+1 Base) 

15+1=16*15= 240-50= 190 DMG

Monkey King attacks Pinball - Miss!

- Players - 

Pinball: 620/620 HP | 45/62 EN | 15 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA 

Reinholt: ????????

- Enemies - 

Monkey King: 60/250 HP | 50 MIT | 240 DMG | 120 DMG (AoE) 

Edited by Pinball

Reinholt was fairly silent the entire trip, knowing that with how grumpy he was he could snap at Pinball and didn’t want to. So he kept to himself and followed after the boy. Soon enough though they descended into the Monkey King’s lair. He listens to Pinball’s plan and takes the teleportation crystal without a word and watches as the boy launches himself into battle again.

This is the third time Pinball has taken the risk. Not this time. I wont just ‘stand’ back. With that thought he steps forward and casts his poncho over his shoulder with his left hand, while his right hand draw Darukai, his cobalt blade. His face still obscured by his hood, he surges forward, his sword held low in his right hand. As he nears the Monkey King, he lets out a battle roar, takes his sword into a high guard with both hands. The blade begins to glow orange, as he readies his Sword Art. Just before he gets to striking distance his foot gets caught by an unseen root and he begins to tumble head over feet into the dirt. He curses loudly and quickly climbs to his feet. GREAT! WHAT A TIME TO TRIP! [/i]He berates himself silently and tries to ready himself for another attack.

Spoiler

ID# 99987 BD=1 Crit fail.

- Players -

Pinball: 620/620 HP | 45/62 EN | 15 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

Reinholt: 140/140 HP | 7/14 ENG | 7 DMG | 18 MIT

- Enemies -

Monkey King: 60/250 HP | 50 MIT | 240 DMG | 120 DMG (AoE) 

Edited by Reinholt

The snarling Monkey King watched the two carefully, but showed no signs of fear, nor any intent to run. They programmed the thing to be a threat, he realized, moving in for the kill, I wonder why that is. With a start, he remembered he had practically left Reinholt in the dust. He turned to look for the man, only to see him stumbling into the dirt. Pinball frowned, knowing damn well how that felt. He wanted to hit, Pinball thought sadly, his heart sinking. It's not fair that you take all the glory. Let him hit it. Pinball thought for a moment, deciding he'd use a lower level Sword Art to hurt it, but avoid killing it - maybe Reinholt would be able to deal some damage as well. He nodded, then turned to the Monkey King as Reinholt began to right himself... and spun around, kicking the monster in the head twice in violent succession, only to follow up with stabs from his spear. He gave the weapon a twirl as ice crept up the Monkey King's huge body, the fade of his Sword Art fading from the weapon. Zomekko floated up to lie on his shoulder, and Pinball pointed over to the Monkey King with his thumb as he walked past. "Care to do the honors?"

----------------------------------------

- Combat - 

Action Taken: Sword Art - [Revolve Arts] [-5 EN, +1 EN] 

ID# 99992  BD: 9 (Crit+1) [Freeze Procs] [Phase Procs] MD: 2-3 = -1 (Miss!) 

Monkey King attacks Pinball - Miss!

Pinball attacks Monkey King - Revolve Arts 

15+1= 16*5= 80-25= 55 DMG!

Monkey King is FROZEN! 

- Players -

[H:3] Pinball: 620/620 HP | 41/62 EN | 15 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

[H:0] Reinholt: 140/140 HP | 7/14 ENG | 7 DMG | 18 MIT

- Enemies -

[FROZEN] Monkey King: 5/250 HP | 50 MIT | 240 DMG | 120 DMG (AoE) 

Edited by Pinball

There was no emotion on Reinholt’s face, in fact an eerie calm that had settled over him. He watched as Pinball kicked and stabbed the giant monkey and then a wolfish grin spreads across his face as he sees the ice creep across the monkey’s body. Its hands were frozen before it, as it was starting to beat the ground when Pinball landed his attack. Reinholt seizes the opportunity and was moving before Pinball said anything. Unleashing another battle cry as he dashes forward, his cobalt blade suddenly comes ablaze with sparks. He leaps once, landing on the lower of the closed fists and without pause he leaps again, toward the other hand. Instead of landing on the second hand he merely uses it to propel himself toward the Monkey King’s face. He lifts his sword above his head and the blade flashes orange. He delivers four slashes to the Monkey kings head, the first two forming and X and the second two a cross. Each blow crackles with electricity and when the last blow is delivered the The head of the Monkey King shatters, followed by the rest of his body. Reinholt lands amidst the frozen pieces of Monkey King and at some point in his attack his hood had fallen off his head. He sheathes his sword and grins. ”Well, some Monkey king you were.” He says as he lifts his hood back up and turns toward Pinball.

Spoiler

ID# 99995 BD=9

DMG: 7+1=8, 8×4=32, +24 unmitigated freeze dmg

Monkey King=dead.

-Players -

[H:3] Pinball: 620/620 HP | 41/62 EN | 15 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA

[H:0] Reinholt: 140/140 HP | 1/14 ENG | 7 DMG | 18 MIT

- Enemies -

[DEAD] Monkey King: 0/250 HP | 50 MIT | 240 DMG | 120 DMG (AoE)

Edited by Reinholt

The icy rain felt like pellets getting thrown at his head. The shattering of the blue crystals, and Pinball's frost weapon only added to the cold, dreary feeling of it all. He was eager to get back home... and yet. He smiled as Reinholt walked back over to him, throwing up a Rock n' Roll sign. "Rad, matie." He started climbing his way out of the dark, almost foggy clearing. "Time to head back, I guess..." He made his way up, struggling to make a firm decision. With a great sigh, he turned to Reinholt once they were back on the Quest's village location. "Actually, I'm going to go fishing." A shock of lightning ran across the sky once more, a bright flash illuminating the dark forest. "It's nearly night, but uhh... I don't want to do it tomorrow." He shrugged, then said, "I'm cool if you don't wanna come along. I get it. It's honestly going to be a miserable experience, but I think I want to have it done.

Reinholt cracked a grin at the Rock n' roll sign. "Granted, I know you did all the work and I wouldn't been able to even touch it probably if you hadn't of frozen it, It is still nice getting a hit in. Thanks Pin." He says but the grin slides off his face at the mention of fishing. "In this?' He motions to the weather and the bolt of lightning that just streaked across the sky. Granted, now that he was a blacksmith, he could use some materials himself. But in this weather?? He sighs and shrugs his shoulders. "I mean, i don't have much else to do, cept go back to my nice, warm shop..but I need to gather some materials. So I'll hangout with you for awhile yet." He says as he fixes his poncho and pulls his hood back up. He motions for Pinball to lead the way. "But I promise I'm going to Haunt you if i get struck by lightning."