[PP-F1] Cheating the RNG <<Nature's Treasure>>

"You mean, that quest is back again?" Arabelle clarified, her arms crossed and foot tapping against the ground impatiently. The info broker nodded silently, now moving around and organizing some papers in his folder. Arabelle thought he only did it to look busy and professional. "Alright. Guess I'll be busy for the rest of the day, then. Who should I ask, I wonder?" She tapped the 'Accept' on her trade window and transferred over some Col. "Any chance you wanna come along with me?" Arabelle offered with a wink, her elbows propped against the counter.

"You give away information too easily. And I'm busy, Bella."

"Sorry, I know~." Arabelle hummed. With the conversation over, she turned around and skipped out of the building. She brought up her 'Friends List' and scrolled past a few names. No. Don't like you. No. Already hung out with you yesterday. Not you, either... The purple-haired girl stopped at a player name. <<Pinball>>. She'd seen him in two parties and went questing with him just a week ago, but she brought up their PM window anyway. There's something I want to ask you, my dear dear Pinball. (And it involved a girl who spoke like a frog).

To: @Pinball

Nature's Treasure quest is back up, if you haven't heard already. Please don't say you've heard already. I blew 700 Col for this. D:

I'm at Floor 1. Right next to the teleport gate and am planning to take the quest. Wanna come along? I know how bad your luck can get sometimes.

Arabelle pressed 'Send' and looked around the city's main plaza. She spotted a bench and made her way there, but remembered what she did just a week ago...when she entered 'stealth mode' (aka jumped on rooftops) and almost gave the poor boy a heart attack. He might be seeking revenge. Well, I won't let him have it! she thought with a quiet giggle. With that, the purple-haired girl opted to lean against the wall of a nearby building instead.

Spoiler

BATTLE STATS

~STATS 
Level: 5 - 11 SP
100 HP
10 Energy
4 Damage
1 Accuracy
2 Paralyze

~EQUIPPED
» [T1 - Perfect] Shikama Dōji -- Enhancements: Paralyze, Paralyze, Accuracy
» [T1 - Vanity] Starter Light Armor

~BATTLE-READY INVENTORY
» 3 Starter Healing Potions (heals 50 HP)

~SKILLS
Rank 1 - Two-Handed Battle Axe (+3 DMG, access to rank 1 sword arts)

E - 

~SWORD ARTS
Two-Handed Battle Axe

Rank 1
» [x2] Whirlwind (2 Energy) - A single sweeping attack so powerful that it sends forth a shock wave to hit again.
» [x2 AoE] Smash (2 Energy + 2 per target hit) - An uppercut aimed at opponents head to send them reeling.

Edited by Arabelle
  • 3 weeks later...

Pinball crept up the rooftops, pressing his stomach low against the angled plane. He had seen the girl just moments before she had messaged him, and Pinball had already been climbing the house when he received her Private Message. Pinball stared at the violette with wide eyes, peeking over the roof before ducking back down into hiding. When he first started to climb, he had been of a mind to try and scare the girl as she had done to him. Now, though, he just wanted to make an entrance. Pinball pushed himself up, still crouching low. 

Then, silently, he ran, and as his boot hit the highest point of the slanted rooftop, he jumped. Pinball soared through the air, over the bench... before gravity took over, and he was plummeting towards the ground. There was a brief moment before he bellyflopped onto the pavement where bystanders could hear his loud, almost maniacal giggling. Pinball hit the ground in front of @Arabelle's bench with a smack, landing flat on his stomach. 

Arabelle gave in and was now sitting on a bench with her chin on her palms, watching players as they passed by when suddenly weird, maniacal laughter was heard above and behind her. Pinball? I'm definitely expecting you. You can't copy my tricks and get away with it! Just as she was going to check, a  human-sized shadow passed over her. She straightened looked up, her mouth slightly open in awe. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a flying Pinball! 

He stayed up in the air for a few moments and Arabelle wish she'd brought a camera. And then, just like that, the boy landed on the ground in front of her with a smack. The players walking along the road veered away from the player, giving him strange looks. Arabelle held a gloved hand to her mouth and giggled. Then it quickly turned into a fit of laughter. "Ahahahaha! Pin, what the heck? Buut, props to that. I'll do you one better next time!" She recovered from her laughing fit and quickly circled around him as the boy was getting up. Arabelle squatted down and offered him a hand, wearing a sweet smile. "Hey hey, did it hurt?"

As he pushed himself onto his knees, clutching his stomach, the dark purple <<Immortal Object>> pop-up disappeared in an instant. He rubbed his stomach, sitting on his heels as Arabelle offered a hand. "Actually," he admitted, taking Arabelle's hand, "not nearly as much as you would think." Pinball looked at the players going about their business around him, noticing a few of the strange looks shot in his direction. He grinned, turning away from the street and shuffling over to the bench. His face bright red, he sat down, rubbing his knees. "Oh, hello there," he said suddenly, as if they had just met up for the first time. "How have you been?" Pinball rubbed his neck, leaning into the bench, relaxing. "Anything interesting happen? New weapon? Armor? Levels?" Pinball stifled a yawn. He was trying to be friendly, as being social wasn't his strong suit. He was of a mind to try and practice, but he couldn't help but feel like what he was saying sounded weird. 

"Did what hurt?" "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" was supposed to be the script. However, Arabelle had been sure he would answer the question instead of asking another question, so it was fine. The outcome would've been either funny or awkward and Arabelle didn't want to risk it since she wanted someone to gather materials with. Maybe she even specifically wanted to hang out with him since there was something she wanted to ask. She had to admit though, she wasn't sure what was running through her head when she asked him the first question. Well, whatever. 

Arabelle followed him back to the bench and let Pinball sit down first. Then, he looked up at her curiously. "Oh, hello there." Like he erased all memories of him launching himself off the roof, and she had come across him by coincidence. A totally normal meeting. Like that would actually happen with the both of them. Arabelle slightly tilted her head to the side and decided to play along, curious as to where he was leading to. "Hello there," she replied passively, not offering anything else to respond to. She wanted to see the awkward teenager take the lead in the conversation for once. Who knows. Maybe a social Pinball was cute. But at the same time, Pinball and social didn't really seem to go well together.

Pinball asked her if anything interesting happened. She already told him about the shop, he had been to both of the parties she was at, he saw her new familiar and new weapon... Oh boy. "Pin..." Arabelle faked a distressed expression. "I went through everything that happened ever since we went on that quest with Reinholt and Etherial and I realized that literally nothing interesting happened. What am I supposed to do with my life now?" A short pause. Then she grinned and said. "Well, I did go on a date. And the guy was boring. That's all. How about you, Pin?"

• 4 weeks later...

There was a brief moment when Arabelle replied to his greeting in a passive voice that everything kind of just fell silent. Pinball sunk into silence, freaking out in his head when he realized he didn't know how to maintain a normal conversation. He was just about to start talking about the weather when he was saved by Arabelle's revelations. "Yeah?" Pinball glanced over at Arabelle, taking note of the distressed expression. Pinball wasn't able to tell whether she was genuinely worried about something or if she was setting up for some kind of joke. Towards the end of the sentence, he wanted to think he picked up some sort of humor from it. Arabelle then went on to say she had gone on a date, and through no will of his own, Pinball snorted and broke into a smile. "Oh, yeah? Who'd you go on a date with?" He shook his head. "I've literally done nothing. I'm more interested in this guy- or. Or girl?

"You're more interested in...what?" Arabelle asked, looking genuinely confused. I've literally done nothing. I'm more interested in...something. There was probably a connection, but he neglected to explain it. Her gaze fixed onto something to his side, a bit impatient with having to ask him to repeat himself. This had to be one of the harder parts of conversing with less sociable people. Or, in more honest terms, talking with people who sucked at talking. They'd stammer and make everything difficult to understand. "Oh, and like I said. A boring guy." She hid her hands behind her back and puffed, hinting that she really wasn't interested in that topic. Why did she even bring it up? It wasn't fun at all. It was boring, boring, boring. She had to take control of this conversation once again. "Took me to a nice restaurant at night. The atmosphere was really romantic, but..." It's overused. Been there. Done that. "It's not my type. Say, what's your ideal date?"