[PP-F21] Trust Has To Be Earned w/ Lessa

For now Aereth let Lessa handle their damsel in distress, staying behind in order to check over his equipment and items. It was an old habbit of him. Every time after he was done with a hunt or job he checked his inventory. It calmed him, as if sorting through his inventory and checking everything was also helping him to sort his thoughts.  

The girl didn't show much reaction. Still having those wide and empty eyes, her gaze stayed on Aereth for a couple of moments before it continued to move over to Lessa.

"W-who? Why?" Was everything she weakly managed to get out of her mouth.

Thankfully it didn't take very long for lover boy to make an appearance after Aereth had sent the message. And he didn't manage to say one word before the boy transfered the money and rushed over to his lost girl. His armes warped around her, and in a weak voice he apologized. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for being too weak to act on myself. I'm sorry for not asking for help earlier..."

Deciding to just let them have their moment, Aereth pressed a few more buttons before closing his menus, and then walking over to Lessa and slightly bumping her with his elbow. A small pop up notice materialized in front of her, containing half of the money he had received for the job. "Thank you for not serving me on a silver tray to those players following me. And sorry for leaving you there." He clearly saw that the woman was deeply troubled everything she had seen today. This was the side of Aincrad nobody wanted to look at. The dark and ugly side that only pulls you deeper and deeper into it with every moment you spend there. "I know... that not only  the time you had to stay there, but everything related to it is disgusting. But look at them." The brunette then added. "Look at them AND your money count and tell me that it wasn't worth it."

After a couple of minutes the heartfelt reunion was over and the boy, tightly clutching his girls hand came over one more time to the mercenary and guild leader. "Thank you again for saving her. If I could give you more, I would, but...

"Stop it. You held up your end of the deal and so did I. You owe me nothing. Now go home and take care that you guys don't get into any more trouble..." Aereth interrupted, dismissing the two and also preparing his leave...

@Lessa

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey! Before you go."

The pair paused in the doorway, turning in unison to face her. Happiness swamped them both, though faint concern ghosted over the man's face at the call.

"Is there something else?" he asked her, the slight lilt of worry in his tone. An arm sneaked around his girlfriend's shoulders, and he drew her close, as if Lessa intended to take her back. The sight was like a vice, tightening around Lessa's heart.

She flicked her wrist, summoning her menu with a tinkle of chimes. After a few commands, a popup box offered the man her share of the finder's fee. "Take it," she commanded, when he looked from the window back to her. "Please. Take her out to dinner or something."

He gaped, then shook his head. "No, you earned it," he insisted, "and I-"

"I'm no bounty hunter," Lessa told him. She fought to keep the sharp edge from her tone, as it was a precious moment, and she was not interested in ruining it with her own internal struggles. So she offered him a smile. "Honestly, I'd feel better if you had it."

The blonde did not speak until she and Aereth were alone again. "It was worth it," she said, finally. "But for them. I'd do it again, for them. Not for the money." She loosed a small, one-shouldered shrug. "It's alright that the money drives you," she assured him, and her blue eyes were clear and honest as she held his gaze. "But I can't let it drive me."

@Aereth

• 1 year later...