[PP-F06] <Deforestation> Trial by Fire

Benjamin found himself having a bit of a problem.  He had been over to the sixth floor to see what kinds of materials he could gather, and been approached by one of the amazons that lived there.  Apparently they had a problem with a huge fire monster, and really needed some help dealing with it.  Ben had initially agreed to do the task- feeling he would get around to it when he was high enough level- but they just kept on asking him whenever he got back to the floor.  Since he didn't want to find out if there was actually a time limit to quests, or what the consequences were for taking too long, it meant he had to get going on the quest.  So he sent a message off to get a little help with the fight.

Shield, I am in need of a hand on a quest that's a bit too much for me to take care of myself.  I am on the third floor, near the teleporter, and would owe you one if you could give me a hand with it. 
-Benjamin

@Shield

Spoiler

<<Deforestation>>

This quest takes place on Floor 6
This quest is repeatable
This quest courtesy of Tristan Delaney

fire_tiger_monster.jpg

Image Created by Deviant Art User Sandara (Link Here)

The Amazons are proud of their forests, being the pride of their floor with the vast spanning jungles that house a large variety of species. However a lone tiger of flame threatens the sanctity of the forest Amazon's Folly, for it burns down anything in their path, razing their pathway with a baptism of fire. The Amazons request that you take down the tiger to ensure their forest is not left as mere ash.

Requirements:

-At least two [2] Pages (21 or more posts)
-Maximum Party Size of 3
-The Byakko must be defeated
-Repeat completions will only yield <<Tiger Rage>>

Byakko Information:

<<Byakko>> is a respawning Field Boss and has the following statistics:
HP: 150

MIT: 40

Damage per Attack: 60
On MD rolls of 9 or 10, half the damage dealt is instead dealt as burn damage, which ignores mitigation as a status. This has no DoT.

Rewards:

1. <<Tiger Rage>> A potion which grants +2 damage. Lasts for one thread. Takes a post action to apply.
2. 3 Skill Points

Shield was busy tending to his shop, dumping a bucket of mackerel into Norbert's tank in the front window of his shop. The snapping turtle climbed up through the water and chomped at the morsels that tumbled down lazily through the water. As he descended from the ladder, Shield heard the message notification. He was not expecting a message that day, least of all from a player with which he had had so little contact. It was hardly out of the ordinary to get requests for carries, but he could not even remember seeing Benjamin outside of a shop or an event. He opened a reply window, pausing before drafting his reply.

'Benjamin,

I'll be there shortly. It's a bit of a walk to civilization, but it shouldn't take me long.

-Shield'

He knew the quest in question, and he knew enough to know that the actual fight should require very little preparation on his part. It was not a quest intended for someone his level, so survival wasn't an issue. He closed up his shop and made for Taft. Making good time, it was less than an hour when he spotted Benjamin outside of the teleportation plaza of Aincrad's third floor. Raising his hand in greeting, he approached the young man.

"Hello again," he said, lowering his arm as he drew near. "Are you prepared for the road? It shouldn't take long, and honestly, you could probably even just watch from the sidelines and let my thorns deal with the problem if you're concerned regarding your safety." This was his typical way. He was hardly impolite, but he tended to get straight to business when there was business to be done.

Edited by Shield

Ben was waiting for Shield to arrive, and glad he could count on a friend for assistance.  Hey again yourself. he answered, going a bit flush at the mention of staying back for his safety.  That... I mean I usually do stay near the back, but that's only because I focus on the first aid skill and keeping everyone healed up to full.  I don't need to be watched over, it just wouldn't feel right.  Honestly, it would feel good to have someone take care of everything for him, but it would be too much of a hit to his pride to admit. I am ready for the battle ahead- I don't have the damage to take out something that big, but I got a few pocket fulls of items.  Actually about fifty or so uncommon items left in my inventory... nobody ever wants to buy those it seems, so I have a bunch of them left for personal use.  But anyways, it's good to have you along for the help. 

Spoiler

OOC- sorry about the late response.  I missed your response until now.

@Shield

Shield was a little surprised to hear Benjamin mention having the First Aid skill. "It's rare to find other players who take on support roles." He mulled that thought over for a while. So far, he had been impressed with the younger player's punctuality and skills at alchemy. Perhaps there was more to the player than just being a dedicated shop keep. For now, he kept such thoughts to himself. "You may be a little disappointed. It's very unlikely I'll need any sort of healing in the fight ahead, but there's nothing wrong with that. I was essentially useless in a number of fights before I came into my build, so I know how that can feel. In any case, let's get moving."

It had been a while since Shield had traced their path, but it did not take him long to pick up the old trail that he and Beat had followed once upon a time. It helped that before long, a number of great plumes of smoke began to emerge above the tops of the trees. "Benjamin, I know very little about you outside of your shop. What is your plan for moving forward in SAO?" It was a vague question, and was so by design. Hopefully, it would give him some ideas about the young man, test a little of his ambition, since the fight ahead may not be properly spec'ed to do so given their respective builds and the field boss ahead.

We need a good alchemist... and healers are definitely a commodity on the front lines. If he's got the drive, he might make a fine guild member.

"Incidentally," he went on, making a motion with his hand to indicate he was traveling back to an older topic. "If you have items that don't seem to go anywhere, anything can be sold in my shop. You won't get top dollar, but they can always at least be exchanged for some crafting materials to keep your shop running."

• 1 month later...

Ben hesitated a bit at the sight of the plumes of smoke coming up in the distance.  He hadn't been up against any big bosses before, and even the few larger enemies he had faced were mostly from the beginner quests.  Still... he followed Shield, hoping he wouldn't freeze up when the time came.  Well, um, I haven't done too much outside of my shop so far.  I guess focusing on work has been helpful for me to start getting out of town.  I've never been quite too brave myself, honestly. he thought a bit more on what answers to give.  I guess I'm just more or less a gamer- it's usually better for me to hang out in games than dealing with things in the real world.  Plus it's easier to make friends here, where I can actually tell what people are feeling.  You know what I mean?  he asked Shield, trying to find a good way of describing himself. 

@Shield

Passive - Recovery: Craft: 5 [+0 EN]

Action: Focused Howl > Byakko [-7 EN] - Well Rested [2/3 Remaining]

[H:7] Shield - HP1610/1610  | EN: 145/152 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 163 | ACC: 0 | EVA: -1 | BH: 80 | THN: 69 | ENV[D]: 9-10/18
[H:0] Benjamin - [Out of Combat]

<<Byakko>> HP: 150/150 | MIT: 40 | DMG: 60 [MD 9+, 1/2 unmitigatable - dealt as burn damage] - ID# 103616 results: MOB: 3 [+1=4 - Miss]

The attitude was not an uncommon one among gamers. Still, there were a number of players who would have never taken charge and stepped forward in the real world. Yet here in the context of SAO, they became something more. Shield had no idea of this would be the case for Benjamin, but it was a possibility worth exploring. In the mean time, another reliable alchemist would be incredibly helpful. He nodded, acknowledging the sentiments Benjamin had expressed. "Well, if you continue to work as diligently as you have at your trade, you will definitely make an impact on the efforts of the front lines. We need good, reliable crafters to do what we do."

Pushing aside the growth in front of them, it revealed a burnt path of destruction. Charcoal tree trunks littered the otherwise empty swath of bare, scorched earth. Portions of stumps burned as sad monuments of what proud structures had once risen from them, weak flames licking at the air. Shield strode forward into the blackened landscape, listening for the direction of their quarry. Rumbling footsteps sounded through the ground to the right, which told them everything they needed to know. Taking off at a jog, Shield vaulted his way through the debris of the fallen forest. Ahead, the smoke was too thick to see. However, the fiery cat would not be far given the sound of the footsteps. He drew in a lungful of thick, smoky air. In the real world, it would have burnt his lungs, but here where they were free from actual pain, it was merely a little hot to his sensitive lungs. He puffed out his chest and let his voice ring out, the air from his mouth cutting through the smoke like a hurricane and extinguishing the miniature fires in its focused path.

"Here, kitty kitty!" he bellowed. There at the end, a great burning beast appeared behind the veil of smoke. Shield's shout ripped past Byakko, the fire emanating from it sputtering and dying down for a moment as a path of clean air parted the smoke that had separated the players from the monster. Its fires roared back to life, and its paw scuffed the ground. With a lurch it rocketed forward, closing the distance to Shield in a few bounds and raking him with its claws. The razored appendage scratched harmlessly across Shield's Manticore Mask, the protective shield that hung on his arm, the attack harming neither of the combatants.

"His focus is on me now," he called out to the brush along the edge of the charred ground. "He doesn't have area attacks, so you're safe to strike if you feel like you can."

Edited by Shield

He gave Shield a nod.  Yea, I would like to try and make a difference if I could.  There's too much trouble as it is, and everyone wants to be the hero.  Seems like nobody wants to be the guy helping make sure the heroes get home safely.  And that's especially true now that I have some friends out there fighting. 

Ben leapt back when the large cat-like animal burst out from the area, charging at Shield with it's first attack.  It took him a few seconds to register that he was supposed to be doing something here.  OK, um, I got it Shield.  I'll hit it from the side. he said with a bit of trepidation.  It may be wide open, but it was still a huge monster that he didn't want to get anywhere near.  And as he swung his blade at the monster's open side, a huge bloom of fire erupted from the attacks that were bouncing off Shield's armor, knocking him off balance and pushing Ben back.  He gathered himself for another charge at it, hopefully more successful next time. 

Battle Ready Items:

Spoiler

(2) Teleport Crystal
(8) Lesser Basic Healing salve (Heals 20 HP) [T1]
(18) Lesser Burning Edge Potion (+1 damage)
(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
(3) Lesser Edge Shard (+1 damage crystal) [T1]

Combat:

Spoiler

Passive - Full energy, no passive energy recharge

Action: Side Bite Sword Art - Roll ID 103659, BD 4+1 = 5, MISS [-2 EN]

[H:7] Shield - HP1610/1610  | EN: 145/152 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 163 | ACC: 0 | EVA: -1 | BH: 80 | THN: 69 | ENV[D]: 9-10/18
[H:0] Benjamin - HP:
400/400  | EN: 38/40 | DMG: 3 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 1

<<Byakko>> HP: 150/150 | MIT: 40 | DMG: 60 [MD 9+, 1/2 unmitigatable - dealt as burn damage]

@Shield

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm
  • 4 months later...

Passive [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+80 HP] Recovery: Craft: 10 [+3 EN]

Action: Parry - Vengeful Riposte [-4 EN, Housing Bonus 2/3]

[H:7] Shield - HP1610/1610  | EN: 149/152 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 163 | ACC: 0 | EVA: -1 | BH: 80 | THN: 69 | ENV[D]: 9-10/18
[H:0] Benjamin - HP: 
400/400  | EN: 38/40 | DMG: 3 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 1

<<Byakko>> HP: 150/150 | MIT: 40 | DMG: 60 [MD 9+, 1/2 unmitigatable - dealt as burn damage] - ID# 109982 results: MOB: 3 [+1=4 Miss]

"Side attack is a good option," Shield called out over the roars of the flames and the beast itself. "Keep up the pressure. I'll keep the cat occupied!" The beast's health bar was still pristine, which was something Shield wouldn't stand for. He held out his sword, keeping it at the ready, preparing for the next attack to parry the blow. The paw of the fiery foe swiped - and missed. He frowned, his counterattack having been wasted entirely.

Well, I guess I'll have to abide the health bar for now.

Shield began pacing around to the other side, drawing Byakko's attention further away from Benjamin. The cat's eyes followed him, and it padded its way around to keep its back away from the intimidating tank. "Good. It's still entirely focused on me. Benjamin, you have free reign to attack as you like. You're gonna have to get in a lot of hits before it's gonna turn on you and start swinging, and by then my thorns will have taken him down."

Assuming he ever actually manages to land a hit on me. If not, we may be here for quite some time...

Edited by Shield
  • 1 year later...

(Edit: Oops, accidentally added a roll for the monster attack when I shouldn't have... well it was a miss anyways, so all is well I guess?  Fixed now)

Ben took his cue from Shield to leap in and take a swipe at the giant cat attacking them, attempting to deal some damage while Shield kept it occupied.  Unfortunately, the heat the Byakko was giving off was more than he could handle, and wound up stumbling back from the aura before he could get close enough.  The monster, however, did not seem to care at all and simply pressed forward against Shield's wall of blades as he parried everything he threw at him. 

"Geez, this thing is tough to land a blow on!  Are you having any better luck over there?" he called out as he circled back around the Byakko's side, trying to rush into a space that wasn't filled with fire and claws- which was trickier than it sounded with this monster jumping around and slashing and burning everything in it's path.  "Just give me a second and I'll try to take another swipe at it!  Stupid cat!"

Spoiler

Combat:

Passive - +1 EN recovered

Action: Side Bite Sword Art - Roll ID 1, BD 3+1 =4, Miss [-2 EN]

[H:7] Shield - HP1610/1610  | EN: 149/152 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 163 | ACC: 0 | EVA: -1 | BH: 80 | THN: 69 | ENV[D]: 9-10/18
[H:0] Benjamin - HP:
400/400  | EN: 37/40 | DMG: 3 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 1

<<Byakko>> HP: 150/150 | MIT: 40 | DMG: 60 [MD 9+, 1/2 unmitigatable - dealt as burn damage]

@Shield

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm