[PP-F1] Igniting an Old Flame (Teion)

Dust swirled and settled, akin to the motions snow flurries make when entwined with the passing wind. The floorboards creaked; moaning to life as soft steps made their way across the now open threshold. The sight was surely one for sore eyes. Remnants of metal and leather scattered the counters and surrounding tables. The scene was almost nostalgic; the faint smell of burnt ore sneaking into the blondes nostrils as he stared at what was once his home. His gaze shifted from rack to rack, mount to mount, and wall to wall; taking in the view as if to remember that his own shop was once the most popular smithy in Aincrad. A sigh escaped his parted lips. Audibly echoing off the now empty shop walls as he pulled out his menu, discarding all the gear he had crafted in his time in Aincrad. None of this gear would be relevant to today's frontlines and I'm assuming by now there can't be too many more kids who haven't stepped up from this floor.

He could only hope is musings were correct as he shuffled about the shop; swiping his menu left and right as slowly but surely the cluttered messes of the brick building slowly dissolved from sight. In the matter of minutes, the shop had began to return to its former glory, at least look-wise that is. Upon removing a few more items, one could say the shop was in tip-top shape. Stepping through the back wall, the smith resumed touching up the shop. Warming the furnace, he placed his crafting tools in their place and almost instinctively reached for where he kept his materials. Looking down, he noticed a new tag attached to the item descriptions.

"Tier: 1?"

Well that's new,  he thought as he moved back towards the waiting area of the shop. Taking a seat, he pondered what he'd do next. On the one hand, I could go out and gather some new materials. Given my smith level, there's no reason not to go ahead and grand master the profession. However, on the other hand, it would seem I've fallen in ranking as well as memory. Most of my old friends have been M.I.A. and I no longer have any intention of just sitting here twiddling my miserable thumbs.  Drafting his menu once again, he scanned the surrounding floors for friends and acquaintances alike. His search concluded with only one name even remotely close to his location.

"Teion"

If he remembered correctly, the lass was a budding smith during his more active days. I wonder what she's up to these days? Perhaps she'll accept my invite for a little meet and greet. Within minutes the blond had drafted a message and sent it off. 

Maybe coming back won't be so bad...

A passion that she'd never thought would burn out, the violette's smithing days were all but over. Besides the occasional piece made for her newfound friends in the Holy Dragon Alliance, Teion only seemed to pick up her hammer when she had exhausted all other forms of busywork as of late. The all-but-retired smith sat atop a hill she had grown more and more familiar with over the passing weeks, arms wrapped around her knees while she cast sidelong glances at the man with a similar hue in his hair. She and Ryo came back to visit the Fields of Crossing often lately, if for no other reason than to talk and enjoy the scenery together. A soft smile graced her lips as he finished recounting an excursion with their mutual friend and the man's guild leader, Jomei. She chuckled, even, when she recalled the ridiculous photo Ryo had sent her on a whim, one of his own face perplexed by the ginger's amusement as he stood with thick black markings decorating his face to resemble a cat's whiskers.

The familiar chime of a received message caught Teion's attention and quickly sparked a sense of curiosity in the woman. She suspected Hestia, or maybe Spencer, inviting her out to a quest of some kind or perhaps just for a playdate with the latter's little penguin familiar who seemed to have taken such a liking to her. As she freed a hand to pull open a set of menus and navigate to her messages, her brows naturally narrowed in a mixture of concentration and intrigue as her eyes slid over the written words. She frowned, busy wracking her brain for the exact reason that the message sender's name was familiar. Where had she met this person before, and when?

The details were fuzzy at best, but she finally felt like she figured it out. Pushing herself to her feet with a small grunt of exaggerated effort, Teion turned to her company and let out a quick sigh. "Well, this oughta be interesting. You alright if I just stop by your place later?" After the walk back to Urbus, and making some quick arrangements with Ryo along the way, Teion stepped up to the teleport gate and called out the nostalgic Town of Beginnings. She slipped her hands into her pockets once she had blinked away the sudden change in scenery and carried herself towards the meeting place her old acquaintance had specified.

• 2 weeks later...

A chime sounded. Echoing around the shop and causing the man to blink as he retrieved the notification. Much to his surprise, Teion responded and seemed to be on her way. Looking towards the door, Oikawa wondered what he should even ask her.

Frontlines? Where we're at floor wise? What has become of Azu... KIRU?? Where is the two-toned woman and where and what happened to Opal?

More and more questions flooded his mind as he tried to wrap his head around why he had so suddenly decided to drop off the face of Aincrad in Kiru's time of need. He shook his head.

"Incredulous..."

Just as the words left his mouth, a tuft of grey fur bobbed in and out of view.

"Hmm"

Leaning over his seat, the smith peered past the cushions to see none other than his most loyal of friends, King.

Gesturing for the leopard to come here, King slowly pawed his way to Oikawa before parking at the foot of the chair and laying down. "Long time no see King. Hopefully you didn't miss me too much." King's ears perked up.

"Seems our company may have arrived..." he mused.

• 2 weeks later...

A hand traveled up and found the nape of Teion's neck, her fingers shifting to rub against the skin. The name was vaguely familiar, sure, but what had prompted a near-stranger to call her out? Was she the only one this person had reached out to? Still, the first floor was hardly a scary place to be, and she continued to tell herself that even if this acquaintance of hers had less than the best intentions, she needn't worry too much. At the very least, Ryo would be expecting her before the day's end, and if she were to up and go missing there would be at least one soul in Aincrad who would notice before long.

A sigh escaped Teion's lips. Had she really been driven to assume the worst in people? Considering her capture had been attempted on more than one occasion in the past few months, perhaps she couldn't really be blamed for a suspicious attitude. Regardless, running circles in her head wasn't getting anything done, and so as her hand fell back to her side she chewed softly on her bottom lip with a weak attempt to dismiss the thoughts.

She'd heard of this place before--The Grand Forge, symbols that displayed the smithy's name in katakana visible above the door. She stared for a moment, recalling the times she'd heard about the high-ranking blacksmith that owned the shop, he among a handful that she hoped to surpass one day. Judging from the buildings appearance as she stood outside of it, however, she felt an odd sense of familiarity. Forged By the Sun was hardly the same as it was the day she opened its doors, and she wondered if the man behind the heavy door had fallen down the same spiral that she had some time ago. Her lips pursed, feeling a hint of sympathy brought about by her own assumptions, and quickly steeled herself while she brought a gloved hand up to rap the solid surface and announce her arrival.