[F01 - SP] Toast as golden as silence <<Earning A Living: Cook>>

As the monotony continued to eternity, Neo slowed her walk unconsciously. The sun was getting lower and lower as time crept along, but Neo was unaware of it. She was fully enveloped in the development of her shop and didn't care for what may be around. In the back of her head, she knew that she should be searching as rigorously as possible for materials, but she also remembered that there were no materials to find in this flat expanse last time she passed through and decided she may as well enjoy dreaming while still in this flat expanse.

What would be a good motto? Something that is simple, but still evocative. Maybe make it a slight pun or joke. Let's see, silence is golden, and toast should be as well. I've got it! Toast as golden as silence. Now I just need to figure out a name for the place, maybe something along similar lines.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101584

LD: 10 - Fail

(BD: 10 - Would've been nice in combat)

Edited by Neopolitan

The monotony continued on ever more, but Neo still was yet to care. She had become so totally engrossed in thinking out the details of her restaurant that she had lost feeling for the tediousness of her search. She could've gone out and begun fighting, but decided instead to spend her time contemplating every little minutia of detail.

I want the name to have some meaning, but probably not that obvious of one. I could use another language, then I could have a simple meaning that would still sound interesting.

Neo began to reflect upon what she could remember. She had taken Latin before, but she hadn't practiced it since she had become trapped in this death game. Thankfully, she had never had too much trouble remembering words, as she never had to memorize their pronunciation for speaking.

How about... Tacet Cibum. Yeah! Silent Food. It's simple, sweet, and still sounds interesting.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101585

LD: 11 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo's pace slowed to a crawl, barely moving forward through the nothingness of the area. And though she was aware of her slow down, she had begun not to care. Though she thought about speeding up and looking for more materials, it felt nice to slow down and enjoy dreaming about what her shop would be like.

Tacet Cibum, where our toast is as golden as silence. That certainly sounds like a place I would want to eat at. Makes it sound like a nice quiet place to relax and get a bite to eat after a long day of work. It would certainly fit with the location that I want for the restaurant, though it could be sending the wrong message. The motto does make it seem a little like the place is meant to be in complete silence. I guess that wouldn't be too bad though. If people were silent, they would probably better understand my position. Though it would be a bad idea to enforce any such restriction as that could make me lose customers.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101586

LD: 1 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo was beginning to run out of details to consider, and there was still a lot of ground to cover before she got back to the Town of Beginnings. The back of her mind that was worried about finding ingredients was hoping that she would find them before getting back, but the forefront of her mind was still consumed with ideas of her future.

Once I open the shop, what should I do? I'll need to make a constant menu, something for people who don't need anything too specific to order off of. It would certainly be nice to try and create one of everything, but that's just not humanly possible. Of course, I don't know how fast the game's cooking is in comparison to real life. I just hope that if it does take as long as real life that I can prepare multiple things at once as well...

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101609

LD: 12 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

The back of Neo's mind continued to worry. Less so about finding the materials at this point and more so about how late it was getting. The sun was dipping lower and lower into the horizon and the Town of Beginnings was still yet to come into sight. It would likely be night time before they made it back at this rate. However, Neo kept herself occupied with the ever-present thoughts of opening her shop.

I would probably want to have some sort of theme with my food. I'm not sure what to go for though. With a Latin name, that won't really culturally tie me to a specific place, though Mediterranean food probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I could go with some basic breakfast and brunch meals. Or just have fun and make some of everything, the possibilities are only limited by what the game has to offer after all.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101610

LD: 3 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

As the sun began to touch the horizon, Neo's worry tried to break into the thoughts of the restaurant with mild success. Neo realized she had been lingering for some time now and needed to keep moving. She wasn't moving too quickly as she knew she wouldn't make it by nightfall, but kept a consistent pace that would make sure she didn't tire herself out should she have an encounter before returning back. She was still looking for ingredients, but Neo was beginning to doubt if there were anymore out here. Though she had found some earlier, it appeared that they had stopped spawning now.

How could I be so reckless, getting so absorbed in my thoughts. Next thing I know I'll do that while fighting and end up dying of absentmindedness. Even if that didn't look to bad when written, it would not be the best of ways to go.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101611

LD: 13 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

The sun was getting lower by the second, now halfway past the horizon. The worry that Neo had been putting off was now at the forefront of her mind and was consuming all other thought. She was still on the lookout for ingredients, but was picking up the pace a little bit in hopes of making it to the Town of Beginnings even sooner. Though she desperately didn't want to be searching for two days, it seemed as though she wouldn't have any other choice.

Though I guess it makes sense for things not to be that common, I would hope that they would at least make this feasibly possible. I've been at this for an entire day and barely have anything to show for it. It seems they even developed the mechanics around being trapped in here with how long it takes me to do things that should be relatively easy.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101612

LD: 9 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

The sun was three -quarters past the horizon now and the world was beginning to turn dark. Neo's shadow, the only one to be cast, was stretching further and further as she walked ever so closer to the Town of Beginnings. It wasn't much, but Neo thought that she might see it coming over the horizon now. It could also just be the light going across her face playing tricks on her, she wasn't sure what to think. The only thing she knew was that it was getting dark and bad things tend to happen at dark. Though she felt safe enough to not seek shelter for the night, Neo was wary as to what might occur at night as opposed to the daytime spawns.

For all I know there will be even more ingredients to be found once it becomes night time, I just hope that if the ingredients stay at this spawn rate that the monsters do as well. It would only be fair after all.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101613

LD: 3 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

The sun was almost completely below the horizon now, with only a sliver remaining. With the last bit of light left, Neo noticed that there was another shadow forming in the ground. It was another plant! Neo rushed up to it and immediately checked to see if it was ready for harvest. Sure enough it was and Neo harvested it on the spot. Happy to have finally found another ingredient, she got up and moved briskly on her way.

Finally, that makes three. Now if only I can get two more before I make it back to town I'll be able to not keep searching for multiple days. As ideal as that would be, It doesn't seem like that will be the case. I'll probably need to rest up and go out searching for another day. Even if I do get all the materials, I'll want to rest before continuing on learning. I'm completely exhausted right now.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101614

LD: 18 - Success (3/5 mats collected)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo continued to walk briskly, but being careful not to tire herself out. If she did run into anything, she didn't want to leave herself vulnerable. The plains began to have hills in them once more, and Neo could make out the Town of Beginnings in the dusk of the sunset. Though her recent searches had now become fruitless once more, she was still using momentum from her last find to fuel her step.

If there's one here, there has to be another nearby. If only there was a pattern here, than it would be much easier to track down more plants. Of course that would take the fun out of it, but when was I last in this game just to have fun. If I have to play the system to get through this faster, so be it. I'll play by your rules, but I'll do it in my own way.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101615

LD: 6 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

The Town of Beginnings was looming closer, but still a ways out. The night was growing darker as the few rays of sun that remained began to fade out. Neo still hadn't found any new plants and once again was beginning to slow down, but she had not lost her determination. Though the fire of motivation had died down, there were still embers waiting to be reignited at the next find.

I've got to find those last ingredients, I need to press on as much as I can. If I'm not moving forward, then what else is there for me to do. I need to get better and start moving up floors, but I won't really be able to until I've made my way through all the quests here. At least, all the quests here that I can handle at the moment. There seemed to be a more powerful quest that I don't think I'm quite ready for yet that was available on this floor.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101616

LD: 7 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo had just crested over a hill and was looking into a small valley, the last shift in elevation before she made it to the Town of Beginnings. Right over the hill, Neo spotted another plant to be used for ingredients. This one seemed much greener, but still only suitable for spices. Becoming concerned with what she was picking up, Neo checked the requirements for the quest once again.

It just says get 5 ingredients, it doesn't specify what. I doubt the game is even differentiating between these with how varied the plants seem to be. I just hope that is the case, if it's not I may be in for a very awkward time with the chef as she tries to teach me how to cook with nothing but spices on hand. Of course, it has been a day now so she has probably gotten more ingredients by now. I don't think that the restaurant could focus with no ingredients for long.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101617

LD: 17 - Success (4/5 mats collected)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo descended into the valley, and already there wasn't any more plants in sight. Neo didn't linger for long inside the valley, it seemed like it was much to dangerous of a place to be in while walking at night. There also was little chance of any plants being found while in the valley, considering that Neo had had a bird's eye view not moments ago. As she walked up out of the valley, she pondered what the best course of action would be to try and make friends one more.

I could try to get their attention early, but that runs the risk of being stuck in a mentor student relationship. The other option is to try and only make friends once I'm towards the top, but that means I'll be stuck going at it alone until I'm on the front and that could be very dangerous. I think the best course of action is to make friends at the low levels and grow with them and then try to make friends with the front-liners once I'm more powerful. Of course, who knows how things will end up panning out.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101618

LD: 7 - Fail

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo walked towards the Town of Beginnings, which was much closer than before. She was nearing the gates and was about to give up on finding the last material before making it back when she thought she saw something on the bushes by the gate. Sure enough, there was a cluster of berries in the bush.

I should've checked the other side of the gate apparently. Though in the end it didn't save any time.

Neo got up from picking the berries and confirmed that she had attained all five ingredients. The quest information had been updated and told her to return to the cook. Though she didn't want to delay this any further, Neo was getting extremely tired. She didn't want to pay rent at an inn and was still accustomed to how she had been living previously, so she found one of her favorite alleys and went to sleep.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101674

LD: 19 - Success (5/5 mats collected, returning to cook)

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo woke up refreshed, though her back a little sore. She stretched her arms above her head, trying to relieve that tension that had built up overnight.

A new day, time to learn how to cook.

Neo quickly went back to the restaurant where she had started the quest, and found the woman again. When she got there, her eyes lit up.

"Oh, there you are sweetie. I was hoping you would be back soon. While you were away I did get more ingredients, but it would be a great idea if you added some of the stuff that you found. There's nothing like adding a personal touch to make meal taste that much better." As the two proceeded to the kitchen she continued to talk. "For your first attempt, let's just see where you're at. I don't want to teach you things that you already know."

Neo tried to make something, though she wasn't sure what she was going for. Though the tools seemed familiar, they didn't work the way she was used to.

It appears the developers were not cooks themselves.

Neo ended up making an unidentifiable glob of a mess.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101676

CD: 3 - Fail, no salvage

-1 T1 mat

Edited by Neopolitan

"It seems we'll be starting close to the beginning then. You certainly did great for your first attempt though, I've seen much worse."

This time, the woman guided Neo through the process in an attempt to make it better. However, the result didn't turn out much better. Neo had tried to make some Hummus, one of her favorite snacks as a kid, but it once again just turned into a mess. However, it was partially recognizable as hummus. Maybe it just needed something they were missing.

"Don't fret about it, you're getting better. Besides I think with a bit more we can save this and make it something much better."

I hope I can, I don't want all that collection to be for nothing. It was hard enough finding these five, I certainly wouldn't want to have to go out and find even more ingredients. That would mean another day wasted without any progress forward.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101677

CD: 6 - Fail

LD: 18 - Salvage

Edited by Neopolitan

The two worked together to try and salvage what was left of the hummus, but there was little either could do. It appeared that Neo had messed up just enough that it was unable to be made into an edible state. Neo gave it one last taste test before looking towards the woman.

"I'm afraid that we'll need to throw this out and try again. Don't worry though, you learn nothing if you get everything on the first try. Let's grab some more ingredients and try again. I would suggest that you stick with the same item, as you'll get the hang of creating it. Otherwise, you may be starting from scratch each time."

Well, I think I'm getting better. At least, the difference in my first two attempts would make me think that. I still don't want to be going back out into the fields to find more resources though. That would mean a lot more time wasted than I already have.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101681

CD: 7 - Fail

LD: 2 - No Salvage

-1 T1 mat

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo tried once again to make hummus. however, she was not that successful. She seemed to keep making it into the same messy glob as before, though ewach time it became a bit more creamy.

"You're close, this is certainly easier to save than the last time. Let's try and finish it up, shall we?"

Neo stood there in dejection. Though she had now been trying for some time, there still didn't seem to be any progress. At the very least, it seemed she wouldn't have to go hunting for more ingredients anytime soon. The woman had a plethora of ingredients to choose from and Neo just needed to pick the right ones.

If she really wanted to help me, she would give me a recipe that I could follow. But I guess that that is part of the 'fun' of this game. If they wanted it to be easy, they would've made it easier.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101684

CD: 6 - Fail

LD: 11 - Salvage

Edited by Neopolitan

Neo started to try and save the hummus she was making. It wasn't easy, but with adding a pinch of salt, some extra cream, and a few other ingredients she was able to make something that was quite palatable. She gave it a quick taste test, and it was delicious. The ingredients she had added to balance out her mistakes seemed to sharpen her senses.

This will do quite nicely, especially for my first successful attempt

The woman came up to Neo with a smile plastered along her face. "Such a wonderful job. Sadly, this won't keep terribly well, at least while you have such a large batch of it. I'll put some in a container for you to take and keep the rest here. I have a feeling this will make a great appetizer for people. I hereby deem you an official chef!"

With the quest complete dialogue popping up, Neo couldn't help but smile. She had finally done it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #101692

CD: 11 - Rare item!

-1 T1 Mat (2 left from thread)

Do not rely on my description to actually make hummus

Evaluation: http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/16564-neos-items/

Edited by Neopolitan

Having finally finished this quest, Neo had to find a place to open up her restaurant. After fumbling with the portal for a bit, she managed to start checking out the other floors. Not many of them had anything that she was looking for. She made sure to check the directories of each to see if there was a better location elsewhere on the floor, but nothing stood out to her. It wasn't until she made it to the seventh floor that she became interested. Though the main area was much too cramped for her, there was supposedly a smaller town in the rugged mountains. Neo made the trip out there and was amazed at the sights. When she got to the town, she immediately decided that this would be the place she would make her shop. She just needed to figure out how she was supposed to do that...

Spoiler

Thread Summary:

• 2 completed pages of RP (40 posts): 2 SP + 800 Col
  • Quest Completed <<Earning A Living: Cook>>
    • 1 Additional SP (First Completion Only)
    • <<Cook>> Profession
    • Successfully Crafted Item (Small container of hummus [T1 Rare snack; +2 Acc])
    • Standard <<Cook>> Shop (Able to have a Cook thread in the Merchants & Shops section)
    • (5) Tier 1 crafting materials
  • 2 Remaining Tier 1 crafting materials, (5 crafts, 2 salvages, -3 total materials used)

Total SP: 3

Total Col: 800

Total Mats: 7 T1