[SP-F1] Piece of Mind: Part 1

NOTE: This entire thread is a flashback.

Shi's gaze moved from the map laid out in front of him to Cain's eyes. "Are you sure we're ready for this?"

"It doesn't matter whether or not we are ready. This may be our only chance to find a lead on the Black Knights. We need to take it." Cain spoke, fixated on a specific point on the map. The blonde hovered his hand over a dark spot and tapped it with his finger, creating a sort of waypoint or marker. "This is where we're hitting."

Shi sighed. His stomach shifted uneasily and he felt as though his legs were noodles. Not a single part of the man wanted to go through with the plan, but he knew the two had no other choice. Suddenly, he felt a soft hand on his shoulder, causing him to jump a bit. "We're going to be okay. I guarantee you, I won't let anything happen to you."

"I'm not ready for this. My level is far too low."

"Listen," Cain started, "Your stats may be low, but that's not the only factor you need to take into consideration. I taught you how to use your sword to the best of your ability. As long as you aren't hit by their sword, you can't take any damage. So fight smartly."

Cain stepped towards the door of the inn and opened it gently. After peaking out to make sure nobody was listening in on their conversation, he gestured to Shi. "Ready to go?"

For a moment, Shi said nothing. He was almost certain he would not be coming out of this alive. The two of them against who knows how many player killers; it was suicide. So why am I standing now. Why am I moving towards the door with a curved-sword at my waste. The noirette thought.

"It's like you said: we have no other choice but to fight."

Edited by Shi

The location was exactly as Cain had described it: Dark, dreary, and dying.

It was some sort of graveyard (if my alliteration was not enough context for you). There were no tombstones, which was odd. Instead, it was lined with statues of Greek or Roman soldiers; Shi couldn't tell due to most of them being half destroyed already. Other than decaying oak trees, there was no plant-life around them. Even just staring inside made the noirette uncomfortable.

He reached up to his forehead and adjusted his metal headband. "Cain-" He started, but was interrupted by his partner, who had already begun moving into the graveyard.

"We need to move in. Be careful." Cain told Shi, his hand gripped around the hilt of his blade. While the dark-haired man followed his ally, he stared carefully at his surroundings.

One of Shi's uncles had been in the military. The most important lesson, according to the ex-soldier, was to always scan the environment around you in order to prepare yourself. It was a way of always knowing exactly where things are and what you can do to play a situation to the best of your ability. Unfortunately for Shi, it was really dark—and I mean it was REALLY DARK.

While they were able to see, it was hard to make out specific details, which only made the ancient-looking statues even more creepy. Thankfully, none of them had orange cursors above them.

Shi stepped up to one of the stone structures and pressed his hand against it. It was cold, being stone and all. They made him extremely uncomfortable, as though they were watching his every move. However, it was not the statues that were doing the watching.

From somewhere behind him, he heard the rustling of leaves.

In seconds his curved blade was drawn from it's sheath. Cain had the same idea, holding Victory, a silver long-sword that emitted a faint, golden glow. It had, supposedly, been powerful enough to cut through lightning. It seemed to catch the attention of somebody, as figures began appearing left, right, and center. Shi counted 6, although it was hard to say who was a player and who was a rock.

"There are 6," Cain confirmed, "but stay alert. There could be more."

Edited by Shi