[PP - F01] «The Second Lesson is Also Free»

Approximately two years ago,

Lyle Tealeaf's smithy was actually not nearly as impressive as Cerdic's. Tyonis had to click his tongue in annoyance at how cramped it was. But he should have expected as much. Cerdic was a Master Blacksmith and Lyle didn't seem to be nearly as skilled. The second tutorial quest was much like the first, and Tyonis had a sinking suspicion that almost all of SAO's quests would be fetch or kill quests. After Lyle gave his two-cents on how best to hunt for Boar Tusks, Tyonis made his way out, looking over his shoulder to regard Spencer with a chiding expression.

"It was a joke, by the way," he reassured wearing another grin. "So, now it's Boar Pups and their Tusks. We can go into the Southern Forest a ways and find them spawning there. Shouldn't be too much of a walk. Are you up for it?"

Word Count: 152

Spencer nodded when the man asked if he was up for it, mostly because he had nothing much to do, and the crowds around him were still not functioning the best and Spencer really didn't want to deal with that, so hanging with this guy was his best bet, and he was good company so that didn't really bother him at all. "Okay so kill these things, get the horns, bring them back to the guy, then next part. Doesn't seem too bad, hopefully the creatures aren't too bad to handle, I haven't really fought in this game yet, combat is still new to me, but I think I'll get the hang of it, I believe in myself that much to be able to do that." He smiled and followed Tyonis along the path through the plains and to the forest area that the man was talking about. "So Tyonis, are you more of a guild person? Or more of a solo man. I'm getting the feeling you are more of a guild person, but I could be wrong after all." He proposed the question and looked around the floor.

"A Soldier is only as strong as the men to his left and right," Tyonis answered then clarified. "I'm a team-oriented person, yes. I suppose I could get by on my own, but you should never underestimate the usefulness of others. Humans have a pack mentality for a reason. I'll probably join a guild at some point in the near future. That or befriend three others to party with on a constant basis and build up our teamwork." He explained then drew his spear as a sounder of Boar Pups approached. Tyonis narrowed his eyes and counted five of them. Did the quest automatically adjust is difficulty because of their party size? He highly doubted a single level 1 Player could take on five Boar Pups. 

Tentatively, he inched toward them, wondering if they'd agro on sight. The answer was no, so he stepped back a bit and shrugged at Spencer.

"They might chain link," Tyonis warned. He wouldn't be surprised. Kayaba seemed to be a sadist after all. No normal person would lock 10,000 people in a god damn deathgame. Those sort of numbers eclipsed most war crimes. With a heavy exhale and a hardening of his eyes, Tyonis left forward and thrust his spear into the flank of one the closest Boar Pup, judging by the way it squealed and how its HP dropped to practically nothing, he'd almost killed it in one shot. Unfortunately it's cursor turned red alongside the other four. "Yeah, they chain link..!" Tyonis managed just before he was all but swamped from every side. He braced himself for death-by-mauling when he realized their tusks were harmlessly bouncing off his armor. 

"Huh. I guess this IS a level 1 Quest," he simply stood as each boar tried to drive their weight into him. It was a surreal experience, to say the least.

Word Count: 161
ID: 102322
BD: 5+2=7 (Hit)

Spoiler

Boar Pups x5:

HP5

DMG: 3 (No extra DMG on Crit)

Tyonis:

HP: 80

ENG: 8-1=7 

Normal Attack: 4DMG

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 0+1=1

Boar Pup A:

HP: 5-4DMG=1

All Boar Pups Chain Link and Attack Tyonis!

ID: 102323, 102327, 102325, 102326,1023 27
    MD: 10 (Hit), 1 (Miss), 3 (Miss), 9 (Hit), 7 (Hit)

DMG: 3-17=1DMG from all hits.

Tyonis' HP: 80-3=77

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer nodded and listened to Tyonis reply to his inquiry of guilds. Spencer nodded some more and agreed that he would one day want to be apart of a party or apart of a guild. I can see myself being in a guild, that is if the people would want me. I'm definitely a team player so they would not have to worry about that possible issue. I am weak and I'm not able to talk to people that well... So I don't know exactly what I would do in a guild. Just stand there and be awkward? I hope not. He thought sadly to himself but shook it off when Tyonis started to spot the five boar pups in a little group. Spencer was about to warn Tyonis about stealth and trying to keep it to one boar pup at a time, but it seemed as though Tyonis was either A: bad at stealth, or B: The game doesn't like him. Whatever the problem was, the boars started to attack. Spencer bit his lip, but luckily the attacks were not that difficult to defend against, and Tyonis almost destroyed the boar. It was sticking to its life just a little bit, but Spencer came in quick with and attack, destroying the animal and taking one down. "Okay one down now Mr. Solider. Your turn." He smiled and gestured for him to attack it.

ID: 102334 BD: 5 + 1 (Accuracy Ring) LD: 18 +1 Boar Tusk

Spoiler

Boar Pups x4

HP5

DMG: 3 (No extra DMG on Crit)

Tyonis:

HP: 80

ENG: 8-1=7 

Normal Attack: 4DMG

Hate VS Boar Pup B: 0

Spencer

HP: 440/440

ENG: 42/44

Boar Pup B:

HP: 5

Tyonis whistled appreciatively at Spencer as he finished off the wounded boar. '...He was fast. Spencer doesn't look like he's trained in extreme hand-to-hand combat for a single day in his life. How did he manage to swing a mace like that?' Tyonis asked himself, utterly dumbfounded. As Spencer beckoned him to attack, Tyonis narrowed his eyes at the boars and his spear. He had a sinking suspicion that there was much more to SAO's combat mechanics than he first anticipated. He had chosen a 2H Assault Spear based purely on his real life experience - but he highly doubted Spencer had ever killed anything with a medieval mace before yet the young man swung it with the grace of an expert and at a clearly superhuman speed.

Tyonis exhaled, recalling a few lines in the beta tester informational booklet that explained Sword Skills and Pre-Motions. The Skill Assist  System was what the beta testers referred it to - it was SAO's way of making incompetent civilians mimic superhuman warriors. 

Tyonis eyed the remaining boars and at the tail end of his earlier exhale, he lifted his spear and charged toward the most central of the Boar Pups. He felt a foreign pressure begin to push his muscles in a certain direction and his spear began to glow a shade of deep maroon. Suddenly, his whole body felt several hundred times stronger than it should have been. It was so jarring, Tyonis almost tripped forward on his newfound strength. With a heave, he leapt into the air, then thrust at Boar Pup B from above.

He missed horrifically and hit the ground instead. A wave of energy exploded out from the tip of his spear, missing the other Boar Pups save Boar Pup D.

Tyonis landed on one knee, his eyes wide with shock and awe. "That was [censored] amazi-"

He immediately was mauled by the remaining four Boar Pups. Like before, their attacks bounced harmless off his armor and he knelt amidst them, clearly at a loss. The superhuman feat he'd just pulled off was painfully juxtaposed by how comical these creatures attempts at killing him were. "This is too surreal."

WC: 357

Spoiler

Boar Pups x4

HP5

DMG: 3 (No extra DMG on Crit)

Tyonis:

HP: 80

ENG: 7+1-3SA=5

Sonic Charge ID: 102342, 102343, 102344, 102345

BD: 1 (Critical Miss), 2+2 (Miss), 5+2 (Hit), 2+2 (Miss)

DMG: 4x1SA=4DMG to Boar Pup D; All other attempts missed.

Hate VS Boar Pup D: 1

Spencer

HP440/440

ENG: 42/44

Boar Pup D:

HP: 5-4DMG=1

All Boar Pups attack Tyonis!

ID: 102346, 102347, 102348, 102349

MD: 8 (Hit), 8 (Hit), 10 (Hit), 2 (Miss)

Tyonis' HP: 77-3=74

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer was caught up in his own fighting for a moment, but when he turned to see Tyonis attacking the group of pups with an AOE attack, and almost killing one boar in the shockwave, it made him realize how intense the fighting was going to be. Spencer was never a big fighter.. or really ever a fighter to begin with. His father took him to archery, but that was with targets and not with animals. His mother was more of a sweet lady. His sister was the hunter. He was never really raised with anything like combat in his mind of in his life. Seeing Tyonis attacking really put everything into perspective. Also, it was very intense and almost cool the amount of speed and strength people have now with this death game being an MMO. When this is over, I'm definitely going to need a bit to freak out about everything tha tis happening in this. Just watching this fighting is really putting me on edge... His thoughts tripped him up a bit when he tried to go in for the attack. He went for the boar that was already damaged, but it seemed like ti was waiting for him almost. It jumped out of the way with grace that surprised the blonde man, successfully getting out of the way easily. "Welp. that did not go as planned, hope you have better luck." He said and turned to Tyonis.

ID: 102357 BD: 2 + 1 = 3 Miss

Spoiler

Boar Pups x4

HP5

Tyonis:

ENG: 7+1-3SA=5 

Sonic Charge ID: 102342, 102343, 102344, 102345

BD: 1 (Critical Miss), 2+2 (Miss), 5+2 (Hit), 2+2 (Miss)

DMG: 4x1SA=4DMG to Boar Pup D; All other attempts missed.

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup D:

HP: 5-4DMG=1 

"Nice try!" Tyonis shouted out, clearly enjoying this more than he should have. For all the threat of death the GM tried to impart, there was no denying that this was FUN. Real combat had dirt, sweat, blood, and plenty of pain for everyone involved. But this was so clean it was difficult to really view it as a life-or-death situation. Slowly, he came to a stand, a vicious grin plastered across his face as he thrust at Boar Pup D. The spear penetrated straight through his target and it shattered into countless polygons before his eyes.

"My first kill in Aincrad. Huh." Tyonis remarked as the other Boar Pups sought to avenge their dead. Unfortunately, the victory window only came with a bit of EXP and no Boar Tusk. He closed the window and simply stood their as their attacks dealt zero damage. They were simply unable to overcome the statistical disadvantage. At this point, all tension was gone, and Tyonis was just practicing and growing more accustomed to the insane speed the Skill Assist System was granting him. He'd have to adapt his kinesthetic awareness to keep up.

Word Count: 178

Spoiler

Boar Pups x4

HP5

Tyonis:

ENG: 5+1-1=5 

Normal Attack ID: 102476

BD: 7+2ACC (Hit)

DMG: 4DMG to Boar Pup D

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup D:

HP: 1-4=0HP Boar Pup D dies. LD: 10 No Drop

The remaining Boar Pups all attack Tyonis!

ID: 102478, 102479, 102480

MD: 8 (Hit), 3 (Miss), 6 (Hit)

DMG: 3-17=1DMG from all hits.

Tyonis' HP: 74-2=72

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer watched as Tyonis attacked the boar with ferocity, destroying it and sending its pixels to slowly float up an dissipate into the air. Spencer bit his lip as the second one died, he felt almost bad for killing all of these creatures, but he knew that they didn't exist in a physical form, so there was no actual harm done to them. Spencer gripped his mace a tad bit tighter and looked over at the remaining three, they were all trained on Tyonis, attacking him and causing the most minimal damage they could possibly make. Spencer almost laughed at how almost sad the attacks were.

The man sighed and gripped his mace, looking at one boar in particular. He knew he might not be able to kill the thing, but that was not going to stop him from trying his best to kill it. Spencer ran forward and slashed with his mace, causing the creature to roll into a tree and its health bar to blink very low. That definitely took the attention of that pup towards Spencer, who quickly backed up next to Tyonis.

ID: 102512 BD: 5 + 1 = 6

Spoiler

Boar Pups x3

HP5

Tyonis:

ENG: 5

Hate VS Boar Pup C: 0

Spencer

HP440/440

Hate VS Boar Pup C: 1

Boar Pup C:

HP: 5 - 4 = 1

Tyonis saw Spencer approach once more out of the corner of his eye. He step-sided a bit out of Spencer's path and allowed him to freely maul the next Boar with his mace. There was a grotesque and realistic crunch and squeal followed by a not so realistic lack of blood and gore. Tyonis shook his head to refocus on more important matters than SAO's strange attempts at maintaining their ESRB rating. With Boar Pup C on its last legs, Tyonis made to finish it off with a sweeping slash, gripping his spear like a long-staff and swinging with all his might. Like before, his arms blurred with superhuman speed, but this time, his kinetic vision was able to keep up and he was able to maintain a better sense of control.

He just hoped he'd hit, at this point. That and his abysmal luck would start to turn around.

Word Count: 153

Spoiler

Boar Pups x3

HP5

Tyonis:

Normal Attack ID: 102513

BD: 10 (Critical +2DMG)

DMG: 4+2Crit

Hate VS Boar Pup C: 1

Spencer

HP440/440

Hate VS Boar Pup C: 1

Boar Pup C:

HP: 5 - 6 = 0. Boar Pup C dies. LD: 9 No drops are found.

The remaining Boar Pups attack Tyonis!

ID: 102514, 102515

MD: 3 (Miss), 1 (Critical Miss)

DMG: All attacks miss.

Edited by Tyonis

With the third boar pup down, but them only having one boar tusk, the push was on to hopefully get one in the next one and the one after that. I wonder how many more pups we are going to have to kill in order for this to be done. Hopefully just these next two? I mean if not I know we can handle to keep going with more of them, I just would rather be down with them now and move on with our lives to finish the n ext two parts to this quest chain, hopefully those don't take that long too. He thought to himself for a little bit and looked at the second to last pup, it was trying desperately to get a good angle on Tyonis to attack him. Spencer gripped his own mace and started to go forward, not wanting the boar to get an attack off on the man. Spencer swung forward and just barely missed the pup, but it scarred the creature enough to make it back off a bit, Spencer almost shooing the creature to huddle next to his friend

ID: 102516 BD: 4 + 1 = 5 (Miss)

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 0

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup A:

HP: 5

Tyonis nodded thankfully at Spencer, thinking it was completely intentional that, rather then attack and hit, Spencer was herding them closer to Tyonis for him to strike. He readied himself as the Boar Pup A backed off fearfully from Spencer only to edge into his own attack range. With a lunge, he struck out with his spear, hoping to slay the boar in a single move. 

Unfortunately, Tyonis' thrust bounced off the creature's hide, surprising him. He leaned forward a bit too much, overextending his body and practically tripped when his strike went awry. With a curse, he got back onto his feet just to see the two remaining boars charge at him. Out of reflex, he held his spear at the ready to guard, only to feel a slight tingling when both Boars rammed into him, scratching at his health bar. 

"Tsk. Annoying fuckers!" He clicked his tongue and readied his spear to counterattack. 

Word Count: 150 (Nailed it)

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

Normal Attack ID: 102521

BD: 3+2=5 (Miss)

DMG: 0DMG

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 0

Spencer

HP440/440

ID: 102522, 102523

MD: 7 (Hit), 10 (Hit)

Tyonis' HP: 72-2=70

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer smiled at Tyonis when he nodded at Spencer. "Hopefully we start to get some better luck, because right now we are having horrible luck." He muttered in a bitter tone as Tyonis barely missed another attack he made on the creature. Spencer grumbled a little irritated and tried to get ready for his next attack against the creature as well. Spencer gripped his mace and twisted it in his hand, trying to think of a good line of attack. He was staring at the creature that kept evading their attacks, and he was going in for another one. However the boar pup saw it coming. Spencer lunged at the creature, but his mace got stuck into the ground and the boar was able to dance free very easily, Spencer sighed and almost swore with the irritation that this thing was causing him. "Okay, please for the love of god, kill this thing." He laughed, but part of his tone had anger in it as well. He sighed again, he was irritated.

ID: 102524 BD: 3 + 1 = 4 Miss

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup A:

HP: 5

"Easier said then done, Spencer. Remind me to increase my Accuracy Stat or something. This is getting obnoxious." He complained then leveled his spear as the Boar Pup A came charging straight at him. This time, Tyonis' spear crashed satisfyingly into the side of its head. He felt the spear enter the Boar, stopping it in its tracks. Tyonis had suffered some minor damage from the impact, but he ignored it in favor of dragging his spear out. The Boar Pup looked dead on its feet and Tyonis called out to Spencer: "Finish it off!" He then turned to the remaining Boar Pup. He was really hoping that Spencer's Luck Stat was better than his. Tyonis had given up on his own luck hours ago. Once more, he leveled his spear and set his feet, waiting for the Boar Pup B to charge at him again.

"C'mon! Drop your tusks for me! I don't want to spend all day slaughtering your family tree."

Word Count: 166

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

HP: 69

Normal Attack ID: 102549

BD: 6+2=8 (Hit)

DMG: 4DMG

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 1

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup A:

HP5-4=1

ID: 102552, 102554

MD: 5 (Miss), 8 (Hit)

Tyonis' HP: 70-1=69

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer nodded with a small smirk, he was almost happy that the two of them were having almost equal trouble in fighting these boars, but luckily they had already taken three of them. Spencer stood back as he watched Tyonis go in for that attack, almost killing the creature. It seemed that they always 'almost' kill them on their first hit, and it always takes another attack in order to take it out for good. Hmmm, I should probably increase my damage a bit, probably help a little bit in attacking and even defending. The best defense is offense. He thought and shook  his head, already annoyed with the phrase that he thought in his head. He shook his thoughts away and got ready to attack the creature, gripping his mace a bit tighter and taking a step forward, but the boar was already charging an attack. Spencer quickly rolled out of the way of the impending attack, but he wasn't able to get an attack off instead. Spencer hopped up with his mace in hand, this was going to be a bit more difficult.

ID: 102555 BD: 1 + 1 = 2 Miss

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 1

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup A:

HP: 1

From behind him, Tyonis heard Spencer roll on the ground, indicating something had gone wrong. This was a situation he'd encountered many times before and out of sheer reflex, he knelt down and pivoted on his heel then swung horizontally, relying entirely on his hearing and his martial awareness to strike at the Boar Pup A. Tyonis' instinct was rewarded by a satisfying feel of melt carving through flesh as the spear struck true. What should have been a spray of blood and entrails was replaced by a shower of red-tinted polygons as the Boar Pup exploded. Tyonis finished his 360 degree flourish by completing the spin to face Boar Pup B once again.

"Got a tusk out of that one!" Tyonis announced with a victorious grin. "You holding up all right Spencer?" He asked, more to draw the young man away from his missed attack and refocus on the final monster.

Word Count: 152

Spoiler

Boar Pups x2

HP5

Tyonis:

Normal Attack ID: 102557

BD: 6+2=8 (Hit)

DMG: 4DMG

Hate VS Boar Pup A: 2

Spencer

HP440/440

Boar Pup A:

HP: 2-4=0 Boar Pup A dies. LD: 15 2/3 Boar Pup Tusks found.

Boar Pup B attack Tyonis!

ID: 102559

MD: 10 (Hit)

Tyonis' HP: 69-1=68

Edited by Tyonis

Spencer nodded to Tyonis, a little dirty, but he was fine. He was getting a tad irritated though. Okay, I've had enough of these boars. Please, for the love of god, leave us alone. He thought and stood there, mace in hand and he walked forward. The boar twisted towards Spencer and growled, slowly walking forward. Spencer smiled a little smugly and swung fast, the boar didn't even realize what happened. Spencer slammed so hard into the boar that it broke apart into crystals almost instantly. Spencer gasped softly at what happened and his eyes were a tad bit wide, looking at the damage he was able to cause from the one swing. A boar tusk came up from the loot menu, and he handed it to Tyonis, the third item that was needed for the quest. "There you go, now we are done." He smiled and looked at the boar tusk he was holding, he was happy to be assisting the man, and he was happy that he could help when this was a pretty annoying situation.

ID: 102562 BD: 9 (5 Damage) LD: 19 (Third and Final Boar Tusk)

Spoiler

Boar Pups x0

HP5

Tyonis:

HP: 68

ENG: 5

Hate VS Boar Pup E: 0

Spencer

HP440/440

Hate VS Boar Pup E: 2

Boar Pup E:

HP: 5 - 5 = 0

"Well," Tyonis checked his stat window. His HP was just starting to turn Yellow. Before long, he'd have died by death to 1,000 cuts. "Learned something new: all monsters will deal damage to you, with a minimum of 1, regardless of your Armor. That might be important for you, since you intend to tank. You'll need every point of HP." Tyonis informed, catching the tusk and adding it to his inventory. The quest objective window came up and after a brief read through, he closed it and motioned for Spencer to follow him.

"Well this was a really straight forward kill-collect quest. Just gotta go back to Lyle and turn in the Boar Tusks." Tyonis shuddered. "We have two more of these tutorial quests to go through. Hopefully they aren't as tedious." He shook his head. "Who am I kidding? Of course they're going to be tedious. Kayaba is many things, but a great story writer he is not."

Word Count: 161

"Is there even a story line to SAO? I know the how thing about going through the hundred floors to escape and conquer the game, but like.... What kind of story is there even? There doesn't seem to be any story with these quests. And these are the Beginner Quests after all, seems a bit weird if you ask me." He shrugged and began to walk along the path to where ever they were going, he was just following Tyonis's lead at this point. Hmm, only two more parts. That means were half way done at least! That is really nice to think. But I wonder what we are going to have to do for these next couple quests.. oh god this is probably not going to be that fun huh? He thought to himself and continued the walk to the next section, his feet now almost dragging as he continued. "So Tyonis, when did you join the military? You seem super knowledgeable about it and experienced, so it seems like you have been in it for a very long time." He smiled at the solider and looked up at the sun, that seemed to almost not be moving in the sky.

"Well, I mean I think there is a story of some sort, actually," Tyonis mused. "I've read each Floor has its own storyline going. Supposedly, there's a war against elves and treants on another Floor," Tyonis highlighted with a shrug. "How well written it is I am unsure. But I guess I shouldn't judge Kayaba's ability to write on the tutorial questlines. Almost all MMO tutorials suck, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt." He led Spencer through the town back to Lyle's workshop. The city streets were crowded once more. Many Players had either begun to recluse themselves against the walls in the fetal position or had embraced their new world and all its challenges. The stark difference between both types of people lent an air of class division that Tyonis disliked.

"Damn. I may have to live on the lower Floors and help these people when I'm not out grinding." Tyonis mused out loud. He was brought out of his thoughts by Spencer's question. "I joined right out of college, about 5 years ago. And if it looks like I'm better than I am, all it takes is a little bit of confidence." He smirked. "Believe yourself to be greater than what you are and, here is the important part, make it that image you see in your mind real. Otherwise you're just an asshat that's pretending at greatness."

Word Count: 202

"Some wise words from someone who cursed the heavens and stuffed their face into a bush." He laughed a bit and looked at Tyonis, laughing a bit more. "But yeah I would have guessed almost 8 years on you for army, you just have an air about you is all." He smiled and continued to follow him, noticing the other players along side of Tyonis. I can't believe I'm not one of them to be honest. I would be a mess if I wasn't in the presence of someone who was way more calm than me. I'm glad I found Tyonis when I did, or I would be one of the people in the fetal position. He pushed back the sadder and grimmer thoughts as they weaved in and out of players and NPC's, the game was a little insane at the moment. Spencer looked towards the sky and shook his head, he couldn't believe something like this happened and existed.

"So, what are your plans for when you get out of this game?" He was trying to keep his spirits up, which meant he start talking like they are going to get out other than they might get out. "I want to finish college, and maybe go for another degree, school might not be the most fun thing in the world, but it sure beats this." He gestured to everything around him.