(PP-F03) Despacito 2: Hoya Edition <<Search for the Hoya>>

Tsu had been meaning to get around to doing the search for the hoya quest. The pendant was something she sought after, hoping to keep it as a little momento of her travels. But the same problem that Tsu had with all other quests came up again. Tsu couldn't fight at all, so she couldn't do anything against the quest enemies. Without her guild anymore behind her, Tsu had to find other people to help her out on quests. One of the people that first came to mind was Neopolitan, a mute girl that Tsu had met not too long ago when they had taken on the wasp queen. She seemed nice, and Tsu felt a bit more comfortable around her seeing as neither of them could speak. As it turned out, Tsu had accidentally silenced herself with some cooking problems. She didn't know how long she would be affected, but she could only ribbit for now. It was better for her whole frog thing, but useless for everything else. Tsu opened her messages and sent Neo a quick little message.

Spoiler

Hi Neopolitan, it's Tsu here, that one girl from the wasp queen quest. I was hoping you could help me out on a quest. Meet me on floor 3 outside the teleporter if you're interested.

@Neopolitan

Neo got the message from Tsu and was glad that she could help someone out again. Hoping that this time they would let her take the lead, Neo headed over to the teleporter on her current floor. SHe fumbled with the panel there for a little bit before standing in the circle. Once she was at the third floor, She looked around for Tsu and found her quickly. Once she got her attention, Neo gave a smile and a wave. Though she felt better after what she had witnessed so recently, there was no need to trouble a new friend with it.

Whatever she needs help with, I'll be willing to do. I haven't done anything on this floor anyways, it would probably be best if I could get some levels from the monsters here before I try to take on higher floors without anyone by my side. That would be bad.

Tsu wasn't too surprised that Neo was able to show up so quickly. It was pretty aparent from when they first met that Neo was going to be a bit of a not so lazy player unlike most of the players in this game. Neo had given Tsu a wave once noticed and Tsu smiled back, waving with her tongue. Tsu walked up to Neo and looked up at her, getting ready to go over the quest. "Rrribb rib ribbit ribby rib rrrrrribbit." Tsu explained, going over the plan she had in mind. If Neo was able to just kill one of the bosses, then Tsu's plan would work rather well. Once Tsu finished, she gave Neo a thumbs up, assuming that Neo understood what she said. From when they met last time, Tsu already had the impression in her head that Neo was a pretty nice person, at least outwards. Considering she didn't talk, it was hard to tell how she really felt sometimes, but that applied to a lot of people. But the lack of voice made Neo a rather difficult person to read.

As Tsu started to ribbit towards Neo, she realized that it seemed there would be limited communication between the two of them. Neo hadn't quite learned how to speak the amphibian language that Tsu favored and she was silent herself. It would honestly be nice to have a challenge with communication. Tsu gave a thumbs up, and Neo reciprocated the movement. She didn't completely understand, but was pretty sure it was Tsu confirming the ask for help and going over a basic plan. Neo was pretty sure that she could follow her and get the rest of the information she needed without the communication. It's what she made many of her friends in the real world do, it only seemed fair that she was made to go through it herself. It was kind of nice to meet someone who didn't talk similar to her, it meant that she wasn't just being stubborn and sticking out for no reason.

Tsu was glad to finally meet someone that understood her language, and a her smile grew a bit more. "Rrib ribbbit rrrribbit!" Tsu exclaimed cheerfully, hugging Neo briefly. It was so nice to finally meet someone who understood. After letting go of the hug, Tsu decided to start walking down the quickest path out of town to head for where the 2 bosses were. "Rib ribby rrribbit, rrrrribbit." Tsu reminded Neo, summing up the plan as a quick refresher. As they walked, well, Tsu wasn't walking as it was more just her taking frog hops alongside Neo. "Rrribby, rib rrrribbit rrib rrrribbit?" Tsu asked, basically asking how Neo was doing lately, and how long she had known the amphibious language. Tsu was still happy on the inside greatly, finally talking to someone who could actually talk back to her. The only people that understood her language back in the real was her family, so it was nice breath of fresh air to talk to Neo.

Neo was surprised by the hug. And realized that she may have made a mistake in giving a thumbs up. It seemed that Tsu had mistaken it for getting her language. And though Neo was able to get the gist of things, she couldn't quite understand it fluently. She had only been with Tsu for one quest, and she was the only one that seemed to speak the language. As the two walked along, Tsu kept giving out more ribbits. Neo was going to want to learn fast if she didn't want to upset Tsu that badly. Hearing that Tsu was done talking for the time being, Neo gave a shake of her hand in a so-so fashion. There was a few questions Tsu could be asking. The first was how she was doing, which with the mistake definite;y put her there. She could be asking about how she was with the language or how long she had known it, which got the same gesture. And maybe it was how confident she was with the quest. That would've been a thumbs up, but the so-so gesture was a much safer one to go for.

Tsu watched Neo give her gestures and then Tsu realized that Neo probably didn't actually speak the language, she just understood it. Tsu nodded her head to Neo's response to her questions, and she continued on. "Rrrrribbit ribby ribbit. Rib rrib? Rrribb ribbit rrrrribbbbbbbit." Tsu asked back after saying that she was doing fine herself. Tsu asked why Neo was mute and where she even learned the amphibious language. It was a bit perplexing to Tsu that she even knew that. Was there more frog people out there that she didn't know about? Maybe that's where Neo heard it from. "Rrrrrrribby rib ribbit  Rib ribbbby rrrrribbit." Tsu added, saying that she was impressed that Neo understood her, since almost no one did. A nice little remark like that Tsu hoped would make Neo feel closer to Tsu and maybe trust her a little more. Sometimes Tsu messed up friendships, and Tsu did not want to mess things up with Neo.

Edited by Froppy

Neo har to take some time to try and figure out what Tsu might be saying. There were some familiar sounds in there, but it was hard to figure out exactly. Neo was doing her best to show that she didn't have the strongest grasp of the language. She figured that the first response was Tsu replying in kind to one of the questions she asked, likely how she was doing. The next question seemed to be directed towards her past. Based off of Tsu's joy at thinking Neo knew the language and people's general curiousity it was either asking about why hshe was mute or how she knew the language. Neo decided to go with the latter and pointed right back at Tsu. She hoped that that would cover things, then remembered the last one. It was some combination of a compliment and remorse. Neo gave another so-so motion to be safe.

I really shouldn't have gone along with things so easily. Here's to hoping that I don't let her down. WIth some decent face reading skills I should be able to figure out what she's saying. That would be an event for the history books, "Mute girl learns frog language purely by reading faces."

Tsu watched Neo answers to what she had said through the motions, and now Tsu had a look of confusion on her face. From how Neo back at Tsu, she implied that Neo had learned the language from Tsu. It was a little bit disappointing to learn that there wasn't another frog person out there, at least Neo still knew the language. "Rrrrribb rribby rib rrrribs." Tsu said, understanding that Neo had just been picking up on the language from. "Rrrrribs ribbit rrrribb rrrribbit?" Tsu asked, now wondering what kind of build Neo was going for in this game. But then it hit Tsu that Neo really didn't know amphibious or at all what Tsu was staying when Neo just gave a so-so motion after Tsu said that she was impressed. Tsu opened her menu and pulled up her messages, sending one to Neo and starting a chat. "You could have just said that you didn't understand. I wouldn't have minded that." Tsu typed out, before looking over at Neo with a slightly faded smile.

Neo got the message from Tsu and realized that her ruse was up. She knew it couldn't have lasted forever, she didn't know the language spare from her first encounter with Tsu. Not wanting the whole thing to blow up in her face, Neo did her best to defuse the situation. She quickly typed up a message and sent it back to Tsu.

Tsu,

So sorry for leading you on like that, you thought I knew and didn't want to ruin that for you. On top of that, I figured that I could learn from immersion. I have a lot of experience needing to interpret things from feelings as people try to respond to me, so I kind of know how people will react. Again, I apologize for leading you on, but I would like to try and learn a bit more. I won't speak it myself, just due to my circumstances, but I will try to understand you a bit better. Probably not the best to use me as a translator of course, it would just be faster for you to type things out, or maybe learn to do some simple gestures yourself.

Tsu read the message and felt a little less upset with how Neo led her on. It made Tsu feel a little bit better knowing that Neo at least wanted to try and learn the language to understand Tsu, but she shook her head and typed out another message. "You think I only speak frog huh? I don't, I've just lost my voice recently thanks to an item so all I can make is frog sounds from my throat. It's called amphibious by the way, it's my first language." Tsu sent the message explaining her dilema before going back to hopping alongside Neo. Hopefully she would at least somewhat understand what it going on and maybe have some more patience with Tsu. The last thing Tsu wanted was for them to not end up being friends all because Tsu just couldn't communicate or get along with Neo because of the amphibious language.

Neo got a ding, signaling that she had another message from Froppy. She quickly read it and responded back. Though it was sad Tsu had lost her voice, it wasn't the end of the world. It meant Neo could teach Tsu a thing or two about speaking with a language barrier in hopeful return of learning amphibian. Neo sent off the message as the two kept walking, and wondered just how far it would be before they got to their adversary.

Tsu,

I figured you could speak something else, as it seems the game translates for you if you don't. Tyonis, who I believe you've met, is an english speaker whereas I'm Japanese and we both understand each other perfectly. It is strange that the game isn't translating now though, perhaps it is a bug or maybe it's something else. Either way, I'd be happy to learn more amphibian. In return I could try and teach you some of the tricks that I've learned to help communicate better when you can't communicate back with someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Tsu read Neo's message and smiled to herself before looking at Neo. At least she was willing to learn. Tsu then proceeded to type out another message. "I'm aware of the whole translation system, just my language probably isn't translated because it isn't actually a language. It's a bunch of sounds I make with my throat to convey words, kinda like how morse code works. I was hoping the game would translate for me, but that's not the case. But hey, at least I can talk to frogs! I like your idea of us teaching each other. I don't know when I'll get my voice back if ever, so I'll have to learn to communicate differently. I'd love to teach you amphibious, maybe you could use it, since you're technically not talking. Just kidding, you do you. But thanks for being patient with me." Tsu sends the message and looks at Neo with a bit of a playful smile. "Rrrribb rrribbit!"

Neo got the response she was waiting for, and smiled back towards Tsu. She typed up a message of her own, though a little slowly so she wouldn't be surprised if something came out and attacked her. It was one of the drawbacks of communicating this way. It had a bad habit of taking up one's hands. It was what was working though, so Neo didn't mind being in such a vulnerable position to communicate effectively.

That's too bad to hear about the translation system, though I can see why it wouldn't pick it up. As nice as it would be to start teaching each other right now, it might be a good idea for us to focus on the quest for now. We could probably do a simple thing or two though while we walk there. I won't really speak amphibious with you, but if you teach me you can talk to me comfortably. And as for patience, there's no need to worry. I know how hard it is to communicate with people who expect a certain way of doing it.