[SP - F06] <<The Gemini>>

Tyonis arrived on the 6th Floor with little fanfare. He spent a few moments readjusting the new armor. He'd received the item from a woman on the lower floors who sought to assist some of the weaker Players with advancing. Tyonis promised the woman, @Hestia, that he would someday return the favor and grow strong enough to fight alongside her at the Frontlines and advance toward the end of this deathgame. At that time, he would return the Ruby Armor back to her as proof of his commitment. She had given him a bit of advice - there was a quest here on the 6th Floor that would serve as a great testing ground for his new gear. All he had to do was walk around and wait for an NPC to come find him. His equipment would mark him as noteworthy, and he would be invited into a secret duel to test his strength.

Normally, Tyonis would have instantly thought the whole thing an elaborate trap, but Tyonis had nothing worth taking save his life, and though there were individuals who truly enjoyed murder and mayhem, Hestia did not seem like the type. Still, he was cautious and purchased a Teleport Crystal and some potions to fall back on, just in case.

'So, I just... walk around and look confident, huh?' Tyonis scanned the crowds until he noticed a hooded man approach him. It was a noticeable thing, since everyone else was an Amazonian NPC. 'Mm. Well, in for a penny, I guess,' Tyonis shrugged and continued walking down a random path as the NPC stalked him.

Combat Stats:

Spoiler

Tyonis

Level 07
» 140 HP
» 16 EN
» 4 DMG
» 2 ACC
» 0 EVA
» 8 MIT
» +1 LD
» +1 Stealth Detection

Equipment
» [Perfect] Tier 1 2H Assault Spear | Bleed | Accuracy | Accuracy - Magstrom
» [Perfect] Tier 1 Heavy Armor | Thorns | Thorns | Recovery - Ruby Armor

Battle Ready Inventory:
» (5) Starter Healing Potions (+50HP)
» (9) [Uncommon] Tier 1 Health Potions (+40HP)

Skills
» Rank 1 | 2H Assault Spear
» Rank 1 | Heavy Armor
» Rank 1 | Searching

Mods
» None

Items Used
» None

Edited by Tyonis

The NPC soon flagged him down once Tyonis was out of earshot of any other NPCs or Players. Like Hestia said, it invited him out into the wilderness, eager for a duel. The offer of being taught a new skill was a pleasant surprise. Hestia hadn't mentioned that part. He'd owe her twice over, now. The hooded NPC guided him to a quiet break in the jungle, about ten minutes away from the safe zone. At this point, Tyonis was fully expecting an ambush, so he drew his spear and rested it over his shoulder.

"Ah, thanks for coming all this way. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is... Sionyt." In a dramatic fashion reserved only for cartoon villains, the NPC stripped off his cape to reveal a mirror image of Tyonis. He raised a single brow in response. 

"The whole 'doppleganger with my name spelled backwards' routine, eh?" Tyonis taunted as Sionyt inched forward to attack. 'So far, so good,' Tyonis thought as he readied his spear in a defensive posture. 'Hestia said to let him attack me - the best way to do this is to weather his blows and spam whatever healing items I've got stocked up.'

Suddenly a Quest Prompt called The Gemini appeared on his screen and Sionyt lunged in to strike!

Word Count: 217

Spoiler

Sionyt, the Gemini, attacks Tyonis!

Tyonis chooses to wait and see.

ID Target Roll ACC EVA MIT DMG Status Effect
102853 Tyonis 2 3 0 8 Miss NA

- Party Stats -
<Tyonis>
 140/140 HP || 16/16 EN || 8MIT || 4DMG || 2ACC ||  18THN || 1REC || -##HP

- Enemy Stats -
<Sionyt, The Gemini>
 70/70 HP || 12MIT || 35DMG || 2ACC ||

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis rarely felt immense fear for his own life. Even on the battlefield, he had some modicum of self-control because he convinced himself that, through rigorous training, he could influence the outcome of even the most hopeless of situations. But when Tyonis dodged Sionyt's attack, he could easily tell that, had that struck him, he would have lost a good chunk of his HP. 'Oh, holy [censored]. This will be very, VERY close,' Tyonis gritted his teeth and set his feet to receive Sionyt's next attack. But the NPC simply inched forward.

"What's the matter? Isn't this a test? You've got to hit me first," Tyonis goaded. Sionyt seemed to take the insult badly and lunged forward in a burst of movement that Tyonis almost missed. He was fairly sure his natural kinetic vision wouldn't have been able to keep up, but SAO's impossible Skill Assist System must have been working overtime. He barely managed to avoid being impaled through the heart, but Sionyt's spear bit deep into his abdomen and Tyonis saw his HP plummet like a rock thrown into a lake. With a gasp, he opened his Battle Inventory and chugged one of his prepared potions.

Word Count: 183

Spoiler

Sionyt, the Gemini, attacks Tyonis and Crits!

Tyonis drinks a  [Uncommon] Tier 1 Health Potions (+40HP). 8 Remaining.

Sionyt, the Gemini gains the ability to remove the Player's action for one turn on natural MD rolls of 9-10.

102854 Tyonis 9 2 0 8 34 NA

- Party Stats -
<Tyonis>
 140/140 HP || 16/16 EN || 8MIT || 4DMG || 2ACC ||  18THN || 1REC || -34+40HP

- Enemy Stats -
<Sionyt, The Gemini>
 52/70 HP || 12MIT || 35DMG || 2ACC || 18THN || 1REC || -18HP

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis clicked his tongue in annoyance as his doppleganger wore his sly smirk a little too well for his liking. 'Yeah, teach me to put a boot in my mouth. Or in this case, 5 feet of spear,' Tyonis lamented internally. He threw aside the empty potion bottle, not paying any attention to it as it shattered into countless polygons. Sionyt, however, thought it another taunt and attacked again. 

"Holy hell, am I always this bloodthirsty?! No wonder everyone's so damn cautious around me!" He exclaimed as his doppleganger cut a huge swathe across his chest with a two-handed, horizontal swing. Once more, Tyonis saw a chunk of his HP vanish in an instant along with his own digital flesh. A quick glance at Sionyt's HP told him that he was a little under half. The Gemini's smirk twisted into a scowl as it readied its spear for another attack.

Word Count: 165

Spoiler

Sionyt, the Gemini, attacks Tyonis and hits!

102855 Tyonis 8 2 0 8 28 NA

- Party Stats -
<Tyonis>
 112/140 HP || 16/16 EN || 8MIT || 4DMG || 2ACC ||  18THN || 1REC ||  -28HP

- Enemy Stats -
<Sionyt, The Gemini>
 34/70 HP || 12MIT || 35DMG || 2ACC || 18THN || 1REC || -18HP

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis had to refrain from instinctively drinking a potion as his HP continued to drop. He would be teasing death with this game of chance. He could tell from earlier that the Gemini grew stronger and it happened right after he drank the last HP potion. He'd have to ration out his potions at this point. He really didn't want to see how much stronger the Gemini could get. A quick scan at his own HP bar set him at just above 50%. The Gemini was clear in the red. It wouldn't be long now. All he had to do was survive the next attack and he'd win.

"You've endured well. But this little contest is not yet over. Steel yourself for this game's final play!"

Tyonis set his feet and lowered his stance. He took a deep, calming breath. And, when he opened his eyes, he glared daggers at his doppleganger, daring the monster to attack.

Word Count: 157

Spoiler

Sionyt, the Gemini, attacks Tyonis and hits!

102856 Tyonis 8 2 0 8 28 NA

- Party Stats -
<Tyonis>
 84/140 HP || 16/16 EN || 8MIT || 4DMG || 2ACC ||  18THN || 1REC ||  -28HP

- Enemy Stats -
<Sionyt, The Gemini>
 16/70 HP || 12MIT || 35DMG || 2ACC || 18THN || 1REC || -18HP

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis saw his life flash before his eyes in both the literal and figurative sense. He was already preparing to do everything in his ability to block as the Gemini switched the grip on its spear to that of a long-staff. Tyonis had used this attack multiple times, and among the Rank 1 | 2H Assault Spear Sword Skills, Heft was the one that was most effective in 1 on 1 combat. But Tyonis hadn't expected an NPC to use a Sword Skill, much less his favorite one. He already abandoned the idea of padding his HP with another potion. He wouldn't finish drinking it in time. He'd have to simply pray his current HP was high enough to withstand the blow.

"Take this, my mightiest blow!" Sionyt roared as he closed the distance and swung. A deep maroon glow covered the spear and Tyonis realized that this must be what it feels like to stand at the receiving end of a Sword Skill. He hadn't felt an adrenaline rush like this one since his last combat deployment to the Middle East.

The blow hammered into his chest, gouging out huge chunks of his digital flesh. He was sure he'd have died instantly if this were real. Thankfully, the shock was more out of instinctual fear than pain. A small mercy Kayaba granted his victims.

As the Sword Skill finished and the glow faded, the Gemini was frozen in an all-too familiar Post-Motion. A second past before Sionyt fell to one knee, panting heavily. Tyonis could only heave deeply as the adrenaline coursed through his system.

"Victory... is yours," the Gemini managed between wretched gasps.

Word Count: 275

Spoiler

Sionyt, the Gemini, attacks Tyonis with Heft and hits!

Sionyt, the Gemini, drops to 1HP. Objective Complete. Choose to spare or kill the Gemini.

Tyonis spares the Gemini. Objective Complete. Follow the Gemini's instructions to learn the Extra Skill: Concentration.

102856 Tyonis 4 2 0 8 62 NA

- Party Stats -
<Tyonis>
 22/140 HP || 16/16 EN || 8MIT || 4DMG || 2ACC ||  18THN || 1REC ||  -62HP

- Enemy Stats -
<Sionyt, The Gemini>
 1/70 HP || 12MIT || 35DMG || 2ACC || 18THN || 1REC || -18HP

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis continued to breathe heavily. He needed to rein in his battle-high and focus in on the task. He used the quest prompt to do so, reading it three times over to ensure he wasn't mistaken. The adrenaline haze made it difficult to process complex concepts aside from those related to Fight or Flight. 

"So, Human, will you strike me down and grant me a warrior's death?" The Gemini prompted. Tyonis wasn't sure how many times he was asked, honestly. But it was about time he answered, regardless.

"I.." Tyonis paused for the longest time. "I will let you live, Sionyt. I won't kill a man who can't fight back like this." He answered with growing confidence. As if to emphasize, Tyonis twirled his spear and slid it across his back.

The Gemini stared up at him for awhile then smiled ruefully. It was a familiar expression. One Tyonis himself wore whenever he came to a realization he should have much earlier.

"Of course. I was stupid to even bother asking. I am you, after all." Slowly, the Gemini came to a stand. "As promised, I will teach you a secret technique, one that will be useful for a warrior like you. Focus and self-control even in the heat of battle. I shall teach you the Skill known as Concentration."

Word Count: 213

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis' eyes widened when the NPC casually mentioned something he shouldn't have. "How do you know about my profession?" Tyonis prodded, eyes narrowed. 

"You have fought for many years, have you not? It is how you are so skilled. How you are able to maintain such discipline despite being dragged to the brink. How you were able to judge exactly where your limits lie and how best to exploit them."

"Answer the question," Tyonis interrupted. 

Rather than comply, the Gemini simply continued to grin. "Do you wish to learn this Skill or not? Time is of the essence and I must needs leave soon." The NPC warned. Tyonis replied with an aggravated sigh and nodded. He needed to get something out of this encounter. If the NPCs weren't going to reveal SAO's hidden workings, then he needed to settle for something within his capability.

"Fine. We'll play it your way. Teach me this Skill and we can both be rid of each other."

"A wise choice. A Soldier does not fight the ghosts he cannot see or touch, but instead focuses on the enemy he can defeat." The Gemini said with a chuckle and if Tyonis' eyes narrowed any more, they'd be slits. That was an obvious reference to his real life occupation. Was the video game AI adapting to what he'd said to other Players like Neo and Spencer? Would the NPCs interact with him differently now? Too many questions and not enough answers. And he had a sinking suspicion that the Gemini was not programmed to give out any of them.

Sionyt led Tyonis to what looked to be a waterfall in the middle of the jungle. Strangely enough, they ran into no monsters on the way over. Tyonis assumed it was because this was a scripted event of some kind.

"This is the perfect place. Sit at the bottom of the waterfall and clear your mind." At this new set of instructions, Tyonis raised a brow.

"What is this? The Karate Kid: Aincrad Addition?" Tyonis mumbled but did as he was told.

After several long minutes, nothing seemed to change. Tyonis cracked one eye open to see the Gemini staring back at him, arms folded. There was a look of exasperation on his doppleganger's face and Tyonis soon mimicked it. The Gemini came over and sat cross-legged next to him.

"Focus on everything but the water. You need to block out all other distractions. Listen for the jungle around. Spread your senses beyond the immediate to find the truth hiding beneath. You must Concentrate, hence the name of the Skill, Tyonis." The Gemini reprimanded in a condescending tone that sounded exactly how another Soldier would.

Tyonis scowled but tried again. He honestly wasn't sure how he was suppose to go about this. SAO amplified everything. He had superhuman speed and strength - he was fairly sure he also had superhuman sight and hearing. How was he suppose to just tune all of that out. Why couldn't Kayaba just program the Skill right into the damn quest rewards?!

Tyonis wasn't sure when he'd managed it, but eventually, he was able to partition the sounds around him. He honed in on certain parts of the jungle's cacophony, picking out details he couldn't before. Soon, he could simply choose not to hear the waterfall even though he was right under it.

"Good," came an all-to-familiar voice. "You're picking up the basics of this Skill." Tyonis grunted in reply. "Mm. Now you must practice. There is a tiger stalking us, just out of sight, in the treeline. Concentrate and try to pick where it is lurking."

Tyonis raised a brow but closed his eyes in compliance. These quest objectives were getting more and more abstract. What the hell was going on here, really? Tyonis thought SAO had terrible writing, and for the most part, it did, but somehow the NPCs were adapting their scripts to sound... better. The thought intrigued and frightened him. 

What was Sword Art Online, really? Why did Kayaba Akihiko really trap 10,000 people here?

"You're getting distracted again," Sionyt sound out loud, frustration leaking into its voice. "Concentrate on the task at hand. Empty your mind of thoughts and focus only on the objective. Find the tiger." Sionyt reminded in a very eloquent but circular way that NPCs with limited access to sentence algorithms could manage. Tyonis exhaled and tried to purge his mind of Kayaba Akihiko and his inane plots. 

"Yes, good. Return to your center. Block out anything unrelated to your target and focus on finding it. The tiger is quiet, but heavy. As it moves, branches bend and wood creaks. Bushes rustle and small animals flee. Follow the signs and listen."

Sionyt continued to repeat that same advice. Ironically, Tyonis also blocked out the NPC's roundelay in favor of listening for the tiger. After a few minutes, Tyonis ended up pointing to his left and up.

"It's about 20 feet that way, climbing up a thick branch. Its claws are gouging the wood, so it's easy to hear."

"Excellent, Tyonis. Let us move on..."

Edited by Tyonis

"Step into the water and remove your trousers." Tyonis' eyes widened noticeably. There went the game's ESRB rating with a single line. The Gemini seemed to realize Tyonis' surprise and raised a hand as if to refute Tyonis' thoughts. "This will be another exercise in focus. This time, we will train your sense of touch and spatial awareness."

"You're really pushing this, Kayaba," Tyonis muttered but unequipped his pants. He still had the default, off-white underwear. He made a mental note to buy some new ones. He stood in the thigh-deep water as the NPC towered over him atop a boulder, arms folded. Tyonis shivered from the fake-cold.

"What now?" Tyonis prodded, eager to complete whatever tasks the NPC had in store so he could put his pants back on.

"Now, feel the currents, grow accustomed to how the water flows around you and then contrast that with the fish swimming between your legs. Once you are ready, catch one of the fish with your bare hands." The Gemini smiled viciously. "With your eyes closed, of course."

Word Count: 177

"There's the catch," Tyonis muttered and shook his head when Sionyt told him to close his eyes. Unless he wanted to complete this quest and earn this special Skill, Tyonis had no choice but to comply. He briefly wondered if he should have just murdered the NPC - no. To murder a defenseless man like that would be an affront to everything he stood for.

'Wait, why did I start thinking of him as an actual person?' Tyonis asked himself, obviously conflicted in his thoughts. 

"Hurry up," Sionyt reminded with a disapproving shake of his head. "We both have places we need to be."

"Shut up. I can't concentrate with you yammering," Tyonis retorted with a frown.

"Fool. The whole point of the previous exercise was to filter out unnecessary thoughts and information. Or do we need to start from the beginning?"

"Oh, hell no. You're not getting me with that Restart Tutorial prompt," Tyonis hit Decline on the window that immediately appeared after the Gemini finished speaking. He turned back to the water and closed his eyes, trying to expand his sense of touch. 

Word Count: 181

'I'm fairly sure this is physically impossible and ranks up there with mysticism and using chakra,' Tyonis thought numbly as he spent nearly 15 minutes with his eyes shut feeling nothing but the cold water slowly freeze the blood in his legs. 

"Release your inhibitions and embrace the unknown, Tyonis. If you continue to cling to your preconceived notions of what is possible, you will never advance in Aincrad," the Gemini advised, his voice laced with self-importance.

'Holy [censored]. Do I sound like this on a regular basis?' Tyonis lamented with a scowl. The context did not escape Tyonis' notice, however. It was clear this NPC was telling him to embrace the game. 

"So you want me to FullDive in more than just a bodily fashion? You want me to just throw away a lifetime of knowledge and experience?"

"Yes," the NPC agreed. "Your training has made you believe that you know exactly what you are capable of. I am here to tell you that, in this place, your knowledge and experience are just chains holding you back."

Tyonis clicked his tongue in annoyance and turned away from the Gemini, trying to once more, feel the water and the fish around his legs.

Word Count: 203

After another 15 minutes of fruitless labor, Tyonis shook his head. 'This is literally impossible. How the hell am I suppose to 'expand my senses'?! This isn't a [censored] movie. It's real...,' Tyonis paused his thoughts and shook his head. After a few seconds, he just chuckled at his own stupidity. 

"I see you realize your folly now." The Gemini spoke up with a knowing smirk plastered across its face. "Aincrad is a land of great possibility. In this place, you can soar as high as your dreams will take you."

Tyonis stared up at the NPC. "You'd make an uncannily good PR stunt, do you know that?"

Sionyt wore a smug smile. "I have been told I am very personable. After all, I am your reflection."

Tyonis shook his head, not playing into that word trap for the moment. With a deep exhale he threw out all sense of rationality. If he had to believe in himself to be a superhero to gain superhuman abilities, then he could tap into his inner 11 year old and play a bit of pretend.

Word Count: 183

Edited by Tyonis

Tyonis stopped paying attention to how much time he was spending on this task. Hell, he didn't even open his eyes. He filtered out all five of his senses, focusing entirely on his sense of touch and the river around him. He'd finally attuned to the water currents after he pushed past the freezing cold. Now he had to pick out the fish. This was actually easier than trying to listen for a tiger while being bombarded under a waterfall. In his mind's eye, Tyonis could imagine where the fish were based purely on how they cut through the water near his legs. He could even tell their size and where they were heading.

'Holy [censored], this actually works,' Tyonis snapped his eyes open in pure, unadulterated shock.

"Good. It seems you've managed to increase your awareness at last. Now you must apply it in tandem with your body. This is the true first step in using Concentration in battle. Naturally, you will not have the luxury of standing still for almost an hour to attune to your enemy and your surroundings." The NPC nodded in approval.

Tyonis scowled but nodded. The NPC had a point. He'd have to learn to do this faster and it would have to become second nature.

Word Count: 207

Edited by Tyonis

After another hour of practice, Tyonis managed to finally attune instantly with his surroundings and the creatures in his immediate vicinity. He could do it on near instinct, now, and he didn't even have to close his eyes. The transformation was amazing. He felt as if his senses were amplified several 100 fold. Granted, he could only maintain that state for a single instant and needed a few seconds to rest, but he could already tell this skill would greatly increase his combat effectiveness. This was definitely worth almost dying and standing in freezing water for almost two hours.

"You've made excellent progress, Tyonis," the Gemini acknowledged. Rather then stand, he now sat lazily on the boulder, one leg swinging idly against it. The tapping sound its heel made against the rock served as another distraction, though Tyonis learned to filter it out long ago. It chewed idly on a strip of jerky.

Tyonis narrowed his eyes. The NPC was looking more and more like him with each passing minute. 

"Worry not. Though I am a reflection, I still have no desire to emulate you my entire life." It explained, as if it were trying to allievate Tyonis' concerns.

"I'm more worried about what the hell your creator has in store for such an AI capable of such quick learning. You're almost human, now."

The Gemini wore an unreadable smile but didn't seem to even acknowledge Tyonis' statement. "Continue with your training."

Word Count: 231

Tyonis continued training his Concentration. He had to make sure he could activate it on a whim and more than just beyond his sense of touch. The Gemini wore the same smug smile as Tyonis improved little by little. The speed he could activate Concentration and the length of time he could maintain it increased by fractions, but in close combat, a single, decisive moment was often all it took to achieve victory. That was what he focused on refining and it was in that the Gemini chose to guide his training.

"You are ready to move on, Tyonis. Now, catch your fish." The Gemini stood, as if to get a better look at him.

Tyonis ignored the NPC's movements and stared at the water. With his eyes, he saw the fish swimming about. With his sense of touch, he could feel exactly where they were and where they would swim to. His right arm pierced the surface of the water and when it retracted, he gripped a single fish.

"Well done," the Gemini clapped, shattering Tyonis' Concentration. The fish slipped out of his hand and back into the water. "That is all I have to teach you. Good luck in your adventures, Tyonis."

"Wait!" Tyonis called out only to watch the Gemini jump into the jungle.

Word Count: 217

Tyonis muttered a few profanities at the Gemini's back but didn't make any attempt to stop it. The Quest Complete prompt appeared and he accepted the rewards. The Extra Skill: Concentration was added to his Skill Window and, as he assumed, it increased his combat accuracy by 10%. 'Not bad for 3 hours of work,' Tyonis nodded approvingly. He reequipped his pants and leapt out of the water, happy to be clothed and dry after spending so long in the freezing river. 

He drew his spear and ran his hands along the shaft. "Well, partner," he said, twirling his weapon. "Let's bushwhack our way back to civilization." 

And with that, Tyonis began the long trip back through the jungle. Like before, he didn't run into any monsters on the way, which surprised him twice over. 'That place must have been a very specific spot for this quest,' he mused. Or maybe his luck was just that good. He shuddered to think what would have happened if he encountered a monster earlier when his HP was so low.

When Tyonis did reach the teleportation platform, he vanished in a flash of polygons, with a satisfied grin plastered on his face.

Word Count: 199

Edited by Tyonis