Site Announcements

Since not every player received news the same way, and I personally don't tend to check the main page very often since events and updates are pretty few and far between so I just get out of the habit after a while, we need to find a reliable, consistent way to get important updates and news of events to players.

My proposal is to send out a site PM to everyone when there are hotfixes, events, publicly announced raid meetings, etc., and that each player have the option to unsubscribe to those notifications if they so choose. Everyone will see their notifications when they log in regardless of whether the go to the main page or not, and it won't rely on just happening to be on the discord when it's mentioned (assuming a player is even on discord, which not all of them are).

I spent a little time poking around in the blogs, and I do have a few concerns with that being the primary form of communication to the community. For one, it's further out of the way than the old announcement system and is much less likely to grab the eye. The other thing I'm seeing is that it doesn't cover everything that's been happening, namely the Murder Mystery event that's been running for the last month, nor the Valentine's event, both of which were more recent than the Holiday Raffle which is covered.

If the current system is to handle it blog-style and we're not willing to depart from that format, would it be reasonable to actually have them run as threads, where every time there's a hotfix for rules, it'll go into the same thread as the other hotfixes? That way, if players specifically want to keep up on any subject in particular and don't want to risk missing anything important, they can choose to follow that content so they'll get a notification every time it's updated.

Edited by Shield

Like, I'm following up on your suggestion, and it looks like the last post Cardinal made was back in April. That wouldn't have informed me of the murder mystery event, nor would have keeping up with the blog posts.

That's the reason I made the support ticket. There are a lot of resources at our disposal, but still, most people seem to find their news by just being in the right place at the right time, usually in the Discord, which doesn't include a lot of the players on the site.

Maybe I have a skewed view of it. I don't know. If nothing else, it might be worth bringing up in the next podcast or putting out a poll or something. I feel like people should have some input about how they receive their news. Having an official source doesn't do staff much good if people wouldn't choose to make use of it.

You can go to any of the Blog sections and click the "follow" button .Each team is responsible for posting/updating their announcements/events/etc... By doing that, you will be notified anytime a new blog entry or post is made in the sections that you have followed. Because Blogs are in our license and haven't really been being used, the Administration team wanted to try and get more use out of them so we aren't wasting money. This way announcements and updates can become a lot more organized and easier to find. Posts in threads tend to become lost fairly easy when there are a lot of posts being made. It will just take some time to get used to the change but it will be a lot easier to get updates and announcements made to the public.