[F22 - PP] <<What We Fight For>> Shield & Calypso - The Sound of Nothing

The sound of his name roused Shield, though only enough to crack his eyelids. The sight of stars roused him a lot more than that. He should not be sleeping here, and he knew it instantly. He sat bolt upright, catapulting Lilith off of him and into the grass like a stray noodle flung by a toddler, only much more wriggly and immeasurably more angry. She balled up into a knot in the grass and gave Shield a dirty look before slithering up to Calypso's boot and snaking up around it like a tree trunk. She stopped just at the boot's top and turned to Shield once again, unhinging her jaw and letting out a very brief, very indignant hiss.

"Oh, what are you going to do? Heal me to death?" he groused at her, rubbing his eyes as he stumbled to his feet. "I shouldn't have let myself sleep here. How long was I out?" A cursory glance at how dark and starry the sky had become told him he would probably not be happy about the answer. "Never mind that. We should just get back."  He took a moment to get his bearings before hurriedly turning himself in the direction of Coral. With a pause, he managed to regain his composure a little, turning back to Callie. "Sorry, that came out a little more directly than I intended," he sighed, rubbing his eyes to force them to clear up a little. "Thank you for keeping an eye on me. I feel a little silly letting myself lose my judgment like that. I guess today took more out of me than I realized." He blinked hard and looked properly at her now. "Are you ready to go? Also, I may need that back," he said, pointing to Lilith who glared up at him and let out another hiss. "Yes, yes. You're very scary."

Edited by Shield
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pfft!" Though poor Lilith did not deserve to be laughed at, Callie had to hold her hand to her mouth while her shoulders bounced in a muffled giggle. It was enough to wake her up from her own exhaustion, at least until she could hit a much-needed bed of her own. Crouched down, she gave the bristling viper a little pet with one finger while the two sassed each other.

She kept quiet while Shield pulled himself back to the present, offering no objections when he hurried, back-to-business and urged that they get moving. Still, his pause to correct himself brought a tired smile to her lips. "Hey, you're justified." She shrugged lightly, picking her legs up to bring herself back to her full height and begin the trek from the open field back to Coral. She stopped to bend over and offer a hand to Lilith as a transferring point which would allow Shield to take her back from a wrist rather than a boot. "I'm probably just going to the inn here and crashing for the rest of the night." She admitted as they walked, sticking her chin out in the direction of town. She didn't like to think about the higher prices she'd likely pay at the main settlement, considering what a 'vacation spot' this part of the floor seemed to offer them, but the instant gratification of a bed being available to her sooner rather than later tempted her frugality to take a backseat tonight.

Lilith gave Calypso's had a long, appraising look before slithering out onto her palm and wrapping her tail around the thumb for stability. She gave an even longer, even more scathing look when being coaxed to transfer onto Shield's hand. Instead of opting to touch it directly, she instead reached out her thin body to slink directly into his sleeve. Shield sighed. "Guess she's not speaking to me. Come on, I'll walk you back to town."

Upon reaching Coral, Shield helped track down a comfortable inn and paid for the lodgings when Callie wasn't looking. Hoping to escape before she had time to notice and argue about it, he tapped her lightly on the shoulder with the tips of his fingers and gave a brief wave. "Rest well, and travel safe in the morning. I'll see you soon." He took his leave, making his way towards the teleportation plaza. He summoned from his inventory the picture that had been his trophy from the trials of the day. It seemed unearthly now, like it didn't belong here in the game. In a lot of ways it didn't. That was hardly going to stop Shield from guarding it. He pressed it tightly to his chest as he walked, careful not to crinkle any of the edges.

Spoiler

- Quest Rewards -

Shield

2 SP
T3 Materials: 3
Rare T3 Consumables

[108496a] [108496b]
<<Photograph>>

Calypso

2 SP
Col: 2,675
<<Photograph>>